Document From The Thai Court For Sole Custody Of Child

I'm being told that to get a immigrant visa to America for my stepdaughter I need a document from the Thai courts granting sole custody of the child to my wife.

She has a document from the amphurs office granting sole custody to her. The fathers name only appears on the birth cert and no other documents.

The father took off 10 years ago and is currently working overseas somewhere. so no help there. We are unable to get him to sign any papers.

Anyone run into this and have some insight into this issue or have the name of a law firm or that can handle this that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks

Greg

When your wife and her ex husband, divorced I take it legal sole custody of your step daughter was granted to your wife, at the ampur office? is that the paper your wife has? if it names your wife as having sole custody, i think that is all she needs. I guess she would also need to prove sole responsibility as well, but should not be too hard to do.

my GF got sole custody of her daughter in March this year. when she and her ex divorced custody was given to him.

That exactly the paper she has. but I'm being told tht this paper is NOT excepted by the US immigration.

Greg

Greg

"Told" by whom? If U.S. Immigration, ok, if rumored, be best to ask the U.S. Immigration folks:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Or ask their office in Bangkok, which'd be more familiar with Thai law:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=9f828875d714d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=1ac900c262197210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Phone, Fax Numbers & E-mail

Phone

02-205-5352 or 02-205-5382 (within Thailand)

011-662-205-5352 (from the United States)

[email protected]

Mac

i have done a bit of digging, and see there is another document your wife can get wjich is useful, from the ampur. it is called 'por kor 14' and shows that your wife has sole guardianship of your child.

maybe this is what you need

i have done a bit of digging, and see there is another document your wife can get wjich is useful, from the ampur. it is called 'por kor 14' and shows that your wife has sole guardianship of your child.

In my case - different I know because I'm the father - I only had to show the paper their mother signed at the amphoe when we registered our divorce. Just for reference for future googlers. . .

When your wife and her ex husband, divorced I take it legal sole custody of your step daughter was granted to your wife, at the ampur office? is that the paper your wife has? if it names your wife as having sole custody, i think that is all she needs. I guess she would also need to prove sole responsibility as well, but should not be too hard to do.

my GF got sole custody of her daughter in March this year. when she and her ex divorced custody was given to him.

I am confused by this reply and hope the last word should be "her" and not "him". If "him" what was the reason and process for changing the decision made at the Amphur Office?

In my case - different I know because I'm the father - I only had to show the paper their mother signed at the amphoe when we registered our divorce. Just for reference for future googlers. . .

As I understand it the papers signed by the wife, mentioned above, would, if property, alimony or child guardianship were involved have led to the production of the 'po kor 14' as recording the agreed final situation. If there was no agreement between the parties then the matter would have to be decided by the Court. This at least is how it has been explained to me by a lawyer.

I am confused by this reply and hope the last word should be "her" and not "him". If "him" what was the reason and process for changing the decision made at the Amphur Office?

Hi, when my gf divorced in 2009, sole custody of her son was given to her and SC of her daughter, to her ex husband. But both children lived with my gf since divorce. Earlier this year, as we are applying for UK settlement, her ex agreed to give custody of the daughter to my gf.

Hi, when my gf divorced in 2009, sole custody of her son was given to her and SC of her daughter, to her ex husband. But both children lived with my gf since divorce. Earlier this year, as we are applying for UK settlement, her ex agreed to give custody of the daughter to my gf.

Thanks for the response. That is clear and seems to me to be the right way for him to have behaved. I was just concerned that there could have been some loophole (unknown to me) that allowed SC to be changed at a later date, without agreement on both sides.

Thanks for the response. That is clear and seems to me to be the right way for him to have behaved. I was just concerned that there could have been some loophole (unknown to me) that allowed SC to be changed at a later date, without agreement on both sides.

the ex even took a day of work with just a few hours notice, and drove 3 hours to the ampur office, and stayed one morning then drove back. this was to sign the papers for a passport for their daughter. this was after my gf got SC. i think this is when my gf got a 'por kor 14' for her daughter. i thought that was pretty decent of him as well.

Edited by kunash

If he signed over sole custody to the mother, he would not have had to sign the passport papers.

this confused me as well. she got the passport for her son ok. she just signed the papers. she got custody of her son at divorce. she got custody of her daughter in march this year. she applied for a passport for her daughter about 2 weeks ago. the ampur said the father needed to sign the paper. this is when my gf got a por kor 14 for her daughter.

my gf assures me has SC for son and daughter (she knows what the papers are and look like). i am going to thailand this morning so will know soon :)

We want to bring my Wifes son to the UK but her ex had sole custody and he would not allow her Son to have a passport so had to go to court to get Sole Custody.

On the day he gave up when he saw evidence we had against him and our legal defence so now have Sole custody.

We used Lawyer in Chiang Mai very good and not an arm and a leg if you need to go that way PM me and will give you the details

Chris