What's Your Favorite Northern Thai Food

vjoe

I love

Kow Soi - curry noodle

sticky rice + Sai Ou + fried pork chop + nam prik Num - oh yummm & cheap

I only found one thai restaurant in Portland that served Sai Ou (spicy sausage) and they charged $10. My aunt would laugh her butt off if she knows (she had a sticky rice stand at a market.)

what else?

You got two out of my 3 favorites! I'd like to add Lahp Moo to the list. Lahp I have had in Isaan is so so. Lahp I have had in Laos is great. Lahp in the North is out of this world, and of course always with sticky rice! Oh, and I believe the pork in the variety I had in the North is raw and also marinated. Wonderful stuff.

Edited by The Coder

Yea Gaeng Hungleh is number one. Full of fat, very unhealthy.

Gaeng Ho when it's done properly.

Chinlap if its cooked, in which case I suppose it isn't Chinlap.

I find Khao Soy too rich, like Tom Yam, great once a week but not every day.

Anyone know how to make Nam prik Num?

I tried a few time with Jalapenos and it never come out right.

It tasted like a cross between Nam Pla Prik and Nam Prik Num... wierd..

Edited by vjoe

You can not use jalapenos to make Issan or Thai food and expect it to taste the same.My wife had never heard of or seen jalapenos until I showed her a photo of some.

Fresh laap dip (pig is slaughtered that morning) served with backyard assortment of veggies and jungle leaves, along with khao niow, a side dish of keng salae when in season, and all washed down with Mae Khong. Perhaps some naem sausage, and grilled meats for appetizers (khem kap lao).

You got two out of my 3 favorites! I'd like to add Lahp Moo to the list. Lahp I have had in Isaan is so so. Lahp I have had in Laos is great. Lahp in the North is out of this world, and of course always with sticky rice! Oh, and I believe the pork in the variety I had in the North is raw and also marinated. Wonderful stuff.

Spoke to a chef here about the Northern and Issan Laab moo dishes.I was told that the only diference was when they added the powdered rice to the dish.The Northern dish was with Powered "uncooked" rice whereas the Issan was with powered 'roasted' rice. :o

Chili and Tomato Dip

(Naam Prik Nuum)

Yield: 1 serving

Ingredients

2 Medium-sized ripe tomatoes

2 lg Banana chilies or New Mexican or Yellow Wax hot peppers

1 tb Chopped fresh cilantro

2 tb Fish sauce

3 lg Shallots, peeled and halved

1 tb Fresh lime juice

5 Cloves garlic, peeled

Method

Serve as a dip with raw vegetables or as a condiment. If the chilies are very hot, you may want to de-seed them. Dry-frying, a method of roasting, is simply frying without fat.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add whole chilies and dry-fry for about 4 minutes, pressing down with a wooden spoon and turning occasionally. Add shallots and garlic to the skillet and continue to dry-fry, turning occasionally. for about 5 minutes, or until the chili skins are blackened.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool. Add tomatoes to the skillet and dry-fry for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, or until the skins are blackened. Let cool.

Remove stems from the chilies and cut in half lengthwise. (Do not remove skins.) Remove seeds if you prefer less heat. Core the tomatoes and cut into quarters. (Do not remove skins.) Place chilies, tomatoes, shallots and garlic in a food processor and, pulsing, process until the mixture is coarsely chopped and salsa-like in texture (not pureed). Alternatively, chop vegetables finely with a knife.

Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in cilantro, fish sauce and lime juice. (The dip can be prepared up to 3 days ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.)

Makes 1 1/4 cups.

7 CALORIES PER TABLESPOON: 0 G PROTEIN, 0 G FAT, 2 G CARBOHYDRATE; 12 MG SODIUM; 0 MG CHOLESTEROL.

From http://asiarecipe.com/thasauce.html#nuum

I like the various nam phriks with vegetables and pork skins. Also, sausages are delicious, but I only eat it once in awhile.

I really like the gaeng (curry) - thin soup-like with a lot of vegetables in it.

I like laarb, but I am getting a lot of liver stuff in with the pork these days. I know there are different kinds, but I don't know which one is which.

I love

Kow Soi - curry noodle

sticky rice + Sai Ou + fried pork chop + nam prik Num - oh yummm & cheap

I only found one thai restaurant in Portland that served Sai Ou (spicy sausage) and they charged $10. My aunt would laugh her butt off if she knows (she had a sticky rice stand at a market.)

what else?

Regarding Portland - is that Portland, Oregon? If yes, are there good Thai restaurants there or in Vancouver, WA?

I love

what else?

Regarding Portland - is that Portland, Oregon? If yes, are there good Thai restaurants there or in Vancouver, WA?

Yeap, this is Portland, Oregon. There are a lot of Thai restaurants here.

I guess it's the "in" cuisine now. Most are pretty americanized, but the food is

still good. I don't know much about Vancouver, WA.

Here are a few that I like

Typhoon on 23rd - a little more expensive, they like to try new things - grapes in red curry, actually pretty good,

Isaan on 2nd - good Kao Kuo, thai sausage, yum..

Thai Orchid on 21st and burnside - good noodles

Chili and Tomato Dip

(Naam Prik Nuum)

Ingredients

2 tb Fish sauce

1 tb Fresh lime juice

5 Cloves garlic, peeled

Method

Serve as a dip with raw vegetables or as a condiment. If the chilies are very hot, you may want to de-seed them. Dry-frying, a method of roasting, is simply frying without fat.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add whole chilies and dry-fry for about 4 minutes, pressing down with a wooden spoon and turning occasionally. Add shallots and garlic to the skillet and continue to dry-fry, turning occasionally. for about 5 minutes, or until the chili skins are blackened.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool. Add tomatoes to the skillet and dry-fry for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, or until the skins are blackened. Let cool.

Remove stems from the chilies and cut in half lengthwise. (Do not remove skins.) Remove seeds if you prefer less heat. Core the tomatoes and cut into quarters. (Do not remove skins.) Place chilies, tomatoes, shallots and garlic in a food processor and, pulsing, process until the mixture is coarsely chopped and salsa-like in texture (not pureed). Alternatively, chop vegetables finely with a knife.

Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in cilantro, fish sauce and lime juice. (The dip can be prepared up to 3 days ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.)

Makes 1 1/4 cups.

7 CALORIES PER TABLESPOON: 0 G PROTEIN, 0 G FAT, 2 G CARBOHYDRATE; 12 MG SODIUM; 0 MG CHOLESTEROL.

I tried this with serano chilies and it was pretty good and spicy.

It is still not like what I remember though. I remember in Thailand, the Nam Prik is more sticky with more chili fiber, I guess different kind of chili. oh well...

Next time I will try a mortar instead of food processor.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chili and Tomato Dip

(Naam Prik Nuum)

Ingredients

2 tb Fish sauce

1 tb Fresh lime juice

5 Cloves garlic, peeled

Method

Makes 1 1/4 cups.

Love it. The mother in law makes a mean one. Lovely. Always surprises them that i will eat anything and usually love it.

Yea Gaeng Hungleh is number one.

Agreed. See above about the mother in law.

Also i love naam. You know the fermented Thai sausage. Especially when its done as a yum dish. :o

ok i dunno why i see so many different variations on the Issan (Laos..) dishes Lab Moo etc.. ive see lap larb laab etc etc.. just curious? I always saw Lab (maybe Lahb/Laab) but anyway Lab moo, lab guy, lab phet (duck) are all awesome Lab bpa-duke(slaughtered that one on the phonetics, but its cat fish..) although at times they can be spoiled when the innards are skin start to get mixed in. I'd rather make my own then eat it off the street although when made at restaurants they are usually a lot better.. also Dum dang (cucumber salad, like somtam..) is awesome although its not as popular with the thais from what i've seen. the whole tod family is awesome although i am not sure if thats from issan or not, althought it probably is because i ve seen it a few times in this post. And also mehkong ? what in the jesus? That stuff is way to sweet, sang som all the way. Its nice to have a sang som yai and 4 bottles of m150, drink a couple quads with 3 m150s and put the 4th bottle into the rest of the sangsom (1/4 bottle or so) works great. Although when ever i am at a restaurant or bar those thais always try to sabotage my drink with either soda water or half ounce shots, haha, i guess it usually does take 10 or so man-thais to take down a bottle.