PM Abhisit Asserts Democrat Rally At Ratchaprasong Will Be 'Constructive'

webfact

PM Abhisit asserts Democrat rally at Ratchaprasong will be 'constructive'

image_20110623154142BBA9731E-DF9E-67D9-8811B217DF58F9F2.jpg

BANGKOK, June 23 - Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Thursday assured the Thai public that the Democrat Party's major election campaign rally at Ratchaprasong intersection this evening will be constructive political activity conducted according to democratic procedures.

Mr Abhisit made his remarks in his capacity as Democrat Party leader, as the Pheu Thai Party earlier warned there could be violence during the Democrat rally at Bangkok's prime commercial area.

The prime minister said he did not know the intention of those who spoke of possible violence during the Democrat gathering but said that his party could guarantee that this evening's event would be a constructive activity under democratic rules in accordance with the basic rights of any political party.

The Democrat leader said he has already asked concerned officials to step up security measures around the rally site to prevent any untoward incident.

"Today's rally will neither add fuel [to the fire] nor intensify conflicts [already taking place]. Let the Democrat Party to do its duty. During the political campaign, supporters of the Pheu Thai Party consistently attempted to obstruct Democrat candidates," Mr Abhisit said, "but Democrats took no action to avoid more conflict."

"I'm unworried that Pheu thai Party will set up a legal team to monitor the speeches made from the Democrat's rally stage, as our remarks are based on fact and truth," according to the premier.

Mr Abhisit also expressed confidence that today's rally will run smoothly and that the public will see the deep information on what had happened during the anti government demonstration last year by the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), the Red Shirts.

The Democrats earlier said their Ratchaprasong event is aimed at fostering better understanding among members of the public about the government's handling of the Red Shirt protest last year and pledged that the rally would not obstruct traffic as it would be held in an open space in front of the CentralWorld shopping complex.

Meanwhile, national police chief Pol Gen Wichean Potephosree on Thursday inspected the area in front of CentralWorld as Democrat party staff are erecting a stage and party members are beginning their gathering.

Gen Wichean said police officers have been deployed to oversee security both on ground and in nearby high-rise buildings.

The police chief said police has been instructed to impose stiff measures to search for weapons and to conduct scans of those attending the event. Persons appearing in red-coloured outfits will be asked to leave the area to avoid confrontation.

Gen Wichean gave assurances that there will be no violence, adding that so far no third party or third person has been found to create a situation as claimed by the Red Shirt leaders. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-23

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai ruling party to rally at crackdown site

BANGKOK, June 23, 2011 (AFP) - Thai police said they would deploy 700 officers for an election rally Thursday by the ruling party at the site of a deadly military crackdown on opposition protesters last year.

In a bid to attract city voters, Democrat Party leaders including Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva have vowed to reveal significant new details about last year's political violence, the kingdom's worst in decades.

The rally will take place in front of the Central World shopping centre that was gutted by fire after soldiers firing live rounds and backed by armoured vehicles broke up the "Red Shirt" anti-government protests in May 2010.

The authorities blame the Red Shirts for the fire and the violent street clashes that preceded it, while the opposition movement accuses the army of starting the blaze and shooting unarmed civilians.

The Red Shirts criticised the Democrats' decision to hold the rally at the Ratchaprasong intersection which was the focus of their demonstrations last year, which left more than 90 people dead in clashes with armed troops.

"It's inappropriate because it will hurt the feelings of people who lost their loved-ones in the incident. They will feel insulted," said a senior Red Shirt leader, Nattawut Saikuar.

The opposition asked its supporters to stay away from the rally, which Abhisit insisted would go ahead.

"A political party has the right to hold a rally," he said. "People will learn in depth about last year's incident. They will learn new information."

The Democrats took power in 2008 after a judicial ruling threw out the previous administration, and Abhisit is accused by his political foes of being an unelected puppet of the military and the establishment.

His main rival for the premiership is Yingluck Shinawatra, the youngest sister of the Red Shirts' hero, fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Although he lives abroad to escape a jail term imposed in absentia for corruption, Thaksin is widely considered the de facto leader of the Puea Thai party and his politically inexperienced sister is viewed as his proxy.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-06-23

Democrat not eyeing votes from Ratchaprasong campaign

news2011-06-23_08-58-37_255406230002_Abhisit13.JPG

BANGKOK, 23 June 2011 (NNT) – Prime Minister and Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has confirmed that his party does not aim to gain more votes upon its planned election campaign at the shopping district of Ratchaprasong on Thursday as the general election is drawing close.

Prime Minister Abhisit stated that the objective of the Ratchaprasong campaign is to present truths and his party’s plan to move the country forward.

Ratchaprasong Intersection was the major rally site of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) where 91 people were killed in the military cordoning operation on protesters last year. The incident was followed by major arson at Zen department store and other buildings nearby.

The prime minister stressed that his party has no intention to stir conflict in the country and confirmed that his election campaign at Ratchaprasong will be different from other previous ones.

The Democrat leader also brushed aside the rumour that his party and the Bhumjaithai Party had agreed to form a government together, explaining that no such efforts are made since everything depends on the decision of voters.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party Chief Advisor and former Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai stated that he will join the election campaign and speak on stage. He believed that there will be no violence instigated, saying that it is just another election campaign.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-23 footer_n.gif

in all fairness to the shopping centre operators, at least this group coming in have not already sent a threat to force them to open their toilets for use while the supporters run their own informal economy outside (and competely illegally); who knows maybe if Yingluck and Khunying Pojaman pop down then Louis Vuitton can sell a few bags to them...oh no that's right they fly out of the country to buy their luxury goods in countries with lower tax rates (and in the case of the convicted Khunying Pojaman used government aircraft to take them).

I for one, don't want anyone to forget, however, what happened last year. To bring back memories of the good old days of 2010, I may take a massive poo in the plants outside Amarin Plaza.

It's harder to know what's going on when you don't have 50 big trucks with huge sound systems and a swarm of motorcycle taxis rolling into the centre of town plus a bunch of possibly 3rd party fake red or possibly very real red shirt thugs standing on the ploenchit wireless intersection making sure you know who is boss. Updates would be appreciated.

Edited by steveromagnino

Fans of Democrats making way to CTW for campaign rally, tight security with undercover police patrolling area.Nearby malls remain open. /TAN_Network

That's different to the standard practice for the malls to close whenever there is a red shirt protest.

Democrat not eyeing votes[/b] from Ratchaprasong campaign

Obviously they think the election is in the bag, so they can take a break from campaigning.

Nothing is NEVER "in the bag" until official results are known...

So wouldn't their time be better spent trying to garner votes?

Obviously they think the election is in the bag, so they can take a break from campaigning.

It clearly isn't in the bag and this obviously is a part of their campaign strategy.

My guess is the intention with this particular rally isn't so much to sway electors to vote for them, but to sway electors away from their main opposition, some of whom were directly involved in the Bangkok bonfire. If by swaying them away from PTP they vote for the Dems, all well and good, but it's not the sole purpose.

Democrat not eyeing votes[/b] from Ratchaprasong campaign

Nothing is NEVER "in the bag" until official results are known...

So wouldn't their time be better spent trying to garner votes?

You should apply to be their campaign adviser...You got such good ideas!

It clearly isn't in the bag and this obviously is a part of their campaign strategy.

My guess is the intention with this particular rally isn't so much to sway electors to vote for them, but to sway electors away from their main opposition, some of whom were directly involved in the Bangkok bonfire. If by swaying them away from PTP they vote for the Dems, all well and good, but it's not the sole purpose.

I think this is a political error, and will not win them one single vote, and if anything, might harden the votes for the PTP. That is just my opinion, but holding this type of thing, in the place they are holding it, this close to the election will not "move the country forward" as Abhisit is quoted further up the page.

Then beyond that, what will be the reaction of the people be if something bad happens? a. A sympathy vote for the Dems or b. "serves you right" for antagonizing the situation?

I reckon a lot of Thais will go with B.

You should apply to be their campaign adviser...You got such good ideas!

Would apply, but the job is probably already taken by someone who seems to think that this rally is a good way to spend a few days before the election.

Should not be any problem for you to show how better you are

I think this is a political error, and will not win them one single vote, and if anything, might harden the votes for the PTP.

Perhaps you should reserve your opinion until you hear what is said.

That is just my opinion, but holding this type of thing, in the place they are holding it, this close to the election will not "move the country forward" as Abhisit is quoted further up the page.

I think a big part of what holds the country from moving forward is lies and propaganda about what happened at this place. Correcting those lies, if people can be convinced, can't be a bad thing. I agree though that it is a big "if". Perhaps though the feeling is if you don't try, you might as well give up altogether.

Then beyond that, what will be the reaction of the people be if something bad happens? a. A sympathy vote for the Dems or b. "serves you right" for antagonizing the situation?

Red Thais will go for "b" for sure. This is why PTP have come out and said this nonsense about their being a 3rd hand. So that if and when there is trouble, rather than condemning those who caused it, they can blame the Dems for having the cheek to think they have a right to free speech.

I think this is a political error, and will not win them one single vote, and if anything, might harden the votes for the PTP. That is just my opinion, but holding this type of thing, in the place they are holding it, this close to the election will not "move the country forward" as Abhisit is quoted further up the page.

I think Abhisit wants to focus the attention of all Thais for just this brief period of time. Choosing this venue achieves that aim, though many looking in will not be his supporters. He's going to have to deliver the goods now, and it remains to be seen if he will.

Red Shirts NEVER hear any other side of the debate. They will likely hear this. Whether it sways a single one of them, or whether it blows up in his face, it's an important development. My main concern is IF there is to be strong new evidence of responsibility presented, stemming from last years violence, why haven't we already heard it from the police, or even CRES.

Edited by lannarebirth

I think this is a political error, and will not win them one single vote, and if anything, might harden the votes for the PTP.

Perhaps you should reserve your opinion until you hear what is said.

That is just my opinion, but holding this type of thing, in the place they are holding it, this close to the election will not "move the country forward" as Abhisit is quoted further up the page.

I think a big part of what holds the country from moving forward is lies and propaganda about what happened at this place. Correcting those lies, if people can be convinced, can't be a bad thing. I agree though that it is a big "if". Perhaps though the feeling is if you don't try, you might as well give up altogether.

Red Thais will go for "b" for sure. This is why PTP have come out and said this nonsense about their being a 3rd hand. So that if and when there is trouble, rather than condemning those who caused it, they can blame the Dems for having the cheek to think they have a right to free speech.

All very true, its just my opinion.

I really would love to see Abhisit use this opportunity to to make a really good inspiring speech.

Panorama Shot at 5:15pm from Ratchaprasong Intersection looking towards Central World http://twitpic.com/5fkpkc/full /via@RichardBarrow

Why nobody there yet?

Let me guess.

1. Many supporters are actually working at jobs and will probably go there when their offices close.

2. The Democrat Party was not planning on erecting a massive stage to block traffic and bring Bangkok to a standstill in that area.

3. They probably haven't paid hundreds of thousands of baht for truck loads of people to show up as the reds did in 2010.

Second picture at 5.23 shows a reasonably large crowd. No doubt many others will show up later when the fighting begins.:ph34r: No, just joking.

Panorama Shot at 5:23pm showing Democrat supporters in front of Central World in Bangkok http://twitpic.com/5fksmh/full /via@RichardBarrow

But that's not how you hold a "peaceful pro-democracy" rally. Not a single tyre or bamboo stick to be seen. And where are their containers for the petrol that will be handed out? It even looks like the shops are still open and people going about their business. Really, if you can't threaten and make businesses close out of fear then what is the point of having a rally?