Nokia N9

nikster

Check out the N9 - Ok so the presentation is terrible. But the phone and the software (MeeGo, Nokia's homegrown mobile OS) are... amazing.

http://www.cultofmac.com/things-to-admire-in-the-nokia-n9-opinion/102107

This is the first phone since the iPhone where I think I *want* this. It's going to be a hit. The hardware is stunning. The software looks fantastic. Wow!

It will be a flop apparently. Haven't Nokia themselves said the N9 is probably the last phone to have the MeeGo OS?

Plenty of reports on the net that developers will hardly bother with MeeGo apps due to Nokias agreement with Windows.

Here are just three examples of those views. There are plenty more on Google search.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/06/23/nokia-n9-confirmed-as-final-meego-smartphone/

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/nokia-n9-01-meego-handset-could-be-announced-today-but-n9-00-is-canned-50002668/

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/nokia-n9-review-50004190/

Edited by Phatcharanan

just at first glance :o

No sd card slot

Micro SIM ( so you cant swap the SIM into another normal phone )

No xenon flash ( like the N8 )

Not a super amoled screen

No radio ( like the N8 )

Only 8mp ( N8 has 12mp )

No Gyroscope sensor

Screen only 3.9 inches

The secondary front facing camera is on the bottom right of the device; exactly where your hand will be

The Samsung Galaxy S II seems to be the one many people are waiting for

Looks like a one-off demo to satisfy analysts that Nokia can eventually produce W7 phones.

Can't seem to find out if it is available or what the price might be?

Either that guy has huge hands or that is a tiny screen.

Not a big hit with tech gurus... Stephen Elop teases with Nokia Windows Phone - but N9 will be DOA, analyst says.

Finally the CTO juggle at Nokia hasn't helped.

just at first glance :o

No sd card slot

Micro SIM ( so you cant swap the SIM into another normal phone )

No xenon flash ( like the N8 )

Not a super amoled screen

No radio ( like the N8 )

Only 8mp ( N8 has 12mp )

No Gyroscope sensor

Screen only 3.9 inches

The secondary front facing camera is on the bottom right of the device; exactly where your hand will be

The Samsung Galaxy S II seems to be the one many people are waiting for

You can use a Micro-SIM in other phones with an adapter. That is not the major problem with micro SIMS.

But when you travel in other countries and swap SIMs often, it is a nuisance to always cut down the standard SIM you can buy there. Probably no issue in a few years, but at the moment I prefer devices with standard SIMs. That was one reason I did not buy an iPhone.

The N9 does have a FM receiver+transmitter. But not supported by SW at the moment, I guess this will change soon.

The 3.9 screen is actually quite big for a phone. They did this right!

MeeGo is a great OS, and not just another "Nokia" invention. Very much supported by open source and a vivid developer community. Way better than WinPhone.

The biggest problem of Nokia is their new boss who wants to make them another Microsoft dependance. Sad to see a great company go downhill.

Looks pretty well loaded to me. With 64 GB storage is appears that a card slot would be obsolete.

Also known as Nokia N9-00, Nokia N9 Lankku

GENERAL 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

Announced 2011, June

Status Coming soon

SIZE Dimensions 116.5 x 61.2 x 12.1 mm, 76 cc

Weight 135 g

DISPLAY Type AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors

Size 480 x 854 pixels, 3.9 inches

- Gorilla glass display

- Anti-glare polariser

- Multi-touch input method

- Proximity sensor for auto turn-off

- Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate

SOUND Alert types Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones

Loudspeaker Yes

3.5mm jack Yes

Dolby Mobile sound enhancement; Dolby Headphone support

MEMORY Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall

Call records Yes

Internal 16/64 GB storage, 1 GB RAM

Card slot No

DATA GPRS Class 33

EDGE Class 33

3G HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.7 Mbps

WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot

Bluetooth Yes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDR

Infrared port No

USB Yes, microUSB v2.0

CAMERA Primary 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, dual LED flash

Features Geo-tagging, face detection, touch-focus

Video Yes, 720p@30fps

Secondary Yes

FEATURES OS MeeGo OS, v1.2 Harmattan

CPU 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, PowerVR SGX530 GPU, TI OMAP 3630 chipset

Messaging SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM

Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML, RSS feeds

Radio No

Games Angry Birds Magic (NFC), Galaxy on Fire 2, Real Golf 2011; downloadable

Colors Black, Cyan, Magenta

GPS Yes, with A-GPS support; Ovi Maps

Java Yes, MIDP 2.1

- MicroSIM card support only

- SNS integration

- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic

- Digital compass

- TV-out

- NFC support

- Dolby Digital Plus

- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/WMA/FLAC player

- MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV player

- Document editor (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), PDF viewer

- Video/photo editor

- Voice memo/command/dial

- Predictive text input (Swype)

BATTERY Standard battery, Li-Ion 1450 mAh (BV-5JW)

Stand-by Up to 380 h (2G) / Up to 450 h (3G)

Talk time Up to 11 h (2G) / Up to 7 h (3G)

Music play Up to 50 h

D

To upset everyone, if you want a GPS, buy a Garmin, if you want a phone, buy a phone. If you want everything else, buy a netbook. If you are happy to buy an expensive toy, buy a smart phone.

Added - I have two smart phones which were a waste of money. I have several Garmins which work great and I bought an HP Mini netbook because I couldn't stand the tiny screen and keyboard of the smart phones.

Edited by Gary A

It's an attractive phone indeed. I wouldn't worry so much about the apps since there's an emulator coming up that will make it fully compatible with Android apps.

The screen is on par with super amoled, FM radio is hardware supported, Nokia GPS works great and the OS is optimized to take better advantage of the processor making it faster than comparable Androids...

I do not think it will be last Meego from Nokia, considering all the positive feedback and attention it's gotten lately.

The price is likely to be less than 20,000 Baht but availability in Thailand is still a big mystery.

Wait for the next Windows based Nokia with Mangos O/S.

Technically the N9 seems to be fine, but all apps collectors won't be happy. Remains the questions why many people do need tons of apps (I use like 10 extra on the IOS and HD7).

By the way the HTC HD7 is well priced now!

Actually app collectors will be fine, Meego is shipping with Alien Dalvik which means it can run Andriod app's plus all the apps currently in the OVI store.

Technically the N9 seems to be fine, but all apps collectors won't be happy. Remains the questions why many people do need tons of apps (I use like 10 extra on the IOS and HD7).

Actually app collectors will be fine, Meego is shipping with Alien Dalvik which means it can run Andriod app's plus all the apps currently in the OVI store.

I'll believe this when I see it. It has been promised for the N900 for a long time and never eventuated. It's also unlikely that you'll just be able to install alien dalvik and magically run android apps. Will prob need support from Nokia and/or devs.

In saying that, if it does pan out. I'm buying the n9

To upset everyone, if you want a GPS, buy a Garmin, if you want a phone, buy a phone. If you want everything else, buy a netbook. If you are happy to buy an expensive toy, buy a smart phone.

Added - I have two smart phones which were a waste of money. I have several Garmins which work great and I bought an HP Mini netbook because I couldn't stand the tiny screen and keyboard of the smart phones.

Why should I spend money on 3 devices and have to carry around three devices (and their related charging and other accessories) when I travel, when my HTC Desire smartphone (and most other smartphones) can do the work of all three and fits in my pocket???

If one wants a bigger screen, any of the recent Android tablets with 3G capability can do it all as well.

You're living in the past dude...joint the smartphone future ;)

• 3 months later...

I've always been a Nokia fan, particularly the N series. Been using the N900 for two years and it's the best phone I've ever had.

Got the N9 now, it's great and will get better.

Couldn't find the 64 gb in Bangkok though, apparently they only had 100 and they've all gone.

Gotta go check this out next time I am in a mall.

How much does it sell for now?

Not that it will make me switch from my iPhone - just got a totally new phone with iOS 5 basically, and it was free, too! But I am curious, and this is the first phone since the iPhone I am curious about.

I have played with Android, feels like a cheap knock-off iPhone, I don't think it holds any attraction other than "it's not an iPhone, yet can do most of the same things". That's not good enough for me.

"it's not an iPhone, yet can do most of the same things"

most? hard sell claiming iphone is functionally superior to android tbh.

Comparing the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the iPhone 4, Apple have to play catch up IMO.

It's great to finally have something to seriously challenge the mighty iPhone, happily for us tech freaks mega corporation competition is great leading to better products.

"it's not an iPhone, yet can do most of the same things"

most? hard sell claiming iphone is functionally superior to android tbh.

Comparing the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the iPhone 4, Apple have to play catch up IMO.

It's great to finally have something to seriously challenge the mighty iPhone, happily for us tech freaks mega corporation competition is great leading to better products.

Samsung Galaxy S2 v iPhone ?

No contest.

Samsung wins it hands down, speed, screen, flexibility, great camera, 1080p video, I had an iPhone 4 and was instantly converted to the SG2s upon viewing it and seeing what it was capable of , it knocked my iPhone 4 into a cocked hat, my screen looked dull compared with the Samsung, I like apple products and have an iPod , iPod Touch, iPad that I use every day, but the SGS2 blows the iPhone 4 away.

Just my opinion, of course, the guys like me that paid nearly 30.000 Baht a while ago for the iPhone 4 may disagree, but I have owned both, still do, and the SGS2 is the best of the 2 in my opinion.

Catch up? Joking, right?

The iPhone 4S

- has the best camera of any mobile phone by far (tests vs. the SGS2 are all over the internet, google for yourself)

- is nearly 2x as fast as the SGS2(again tests all over - I was surprised; web and java script benchmarks for the iPhone 4S just blow everything else away)

SGS2 is of course good because it's light, thin (unlike those HTC monsters) and gives the iPhone a good run for the money. It shipped, what, nearly 1 year after the iPhone 4. I expect a device from Samsung that can compete with the 4S in 8 months or so - that seems to the the pattern now.

As for software? I think iOS5 is ahead again, with the notifications center (playing catch-up there, clearly). And obviously Android has nothing like SIRI. Nothing that's even close. SIRI might be the first working day to day artificial intelligence to appear in any product, actually. iOS 5 also has cloud integration - the full extent of that feature is still a bit unclear but I expect it to provide significant functionality in some cases.

The reason I am not too interested in Samsung phones is that they're plasticy. Fit and finish compared to iPhone 4 is just crap. The reason I am not into Android too much is that it just looks like a cheap copy of the iOS.

Android is once again 1 or 2 years behind. It does have better maps though, no question. And Android phones are cheaper. I am not saying they're bad phones at all, they're not, and lucky we have them 'cause everyone else seems to have given up on competing.

That Nokia doesn't want to support Meegoo now it's finally working is just sad.

Catch up? Joking, right?

The iPhone 4S

- has the best camera of any mobile phone by far (tests vs. the SGS2 are all over the internet, google for yourself)

- is nearly 2x as fast as the SGS2(again tests all over - I was surprised; web and java script benchmarks for the iPhone 4S just blow everything else away)

SGS2 is of course good because it's light, thin (unlike those HTC monsters) and gives the iPhone a good run for the money. It shipped, what, nearly 1 year after the iPhone 4. I expect a device from Samsung that can compete with the 4S in 8 months or so - that seems to the the pattern now.

As for software? I think iOS5 is ahead again, with the notifications center (playing catch-up there, clearly). And obviously Android has nothing like SIRI. Nothing that's even close. SIRI might be the first working day to day artificial intelligence to appear in any product, actually. iOS 5 also has cloud integration - the full extent of that feature is still a bit unclear but I expect it to provide significant functionality in some cases.

The reason I am not too interested in Samsung phones is that they're plasticy. Fit and finish compared to iPhone 4 is just crap. The reason I am not into Android too much is that it just looks like a cheap copy of the iOS.

Android is once again 1 or 2 years behind. It does have better maps though, no question. And Android phones are cheaper. I am not saying they're bad phones at all, they're not, and lucky we have them 'cause everyone else seems to have given up on competing.

That Nokia doesn't want to support Meegoo now it's finally working is just sad.

Well is the 4s even released yet?

And Siri looks like a handy little gadget to impress the girls... Android do have more basic versions of Siri like 'start talking' etc. The main difference between Android and Apple is that it's Apple making the software rather than the little people,.

Artificial intelligence... i can see it now the next Terminator movie they realised their mistake it wasn't Skynet it was Apple they should have destroyed..............I'll be backcool.gif

Edited by thaicbr

http://www.pcworld.c...elite.html Guess it depends who you talk to.

Main issue I have with iphone is it blows saturation and contrast levels off the charts. Looks good for some photos but poor for others.. It's also why you have to be careful about camera 'reviews' because a lot of people think super bright colourful photos are better quality photos, when it's actually just automatically ratcheting up saturation which no serious photographer wants.And btw, neither are close to my one year old n8 in the camera department (for stills anyway)

Siri looks interesting, but multiple reports of it being effectively useless outside of the states.

Saying android is 1 or 2 years behind is just pure fanboy talking. If you offered me a 4s or SGS2 for free I choose the SGS2. Throw in the fact it is significantly cheaper and it's a no-brainer for me. But really I will wait until the sgs3 comes out (prob not long at all after the 4s is released here.)

Edited by lennois

Who is still reading "PC"world...?? 555 read some independent sites. I don't know how it is now - and I don't care either to be honest - but PC world used to receive all of its advertising budget from Microsoft. And they would write accordingly.

SIRI is unfortunately less useful outside the USA - things like "where's the nearest pizza" don't work. Good point actually. Maybe I won't buy one. Sooo tempted.

Between SIRI and iCloud, iOS is definitely 1 or 2 years ahead. You really think they'll have a SIRI-like thing sooner? It's hard to imagine. Rubin said Android "had could services first" - true, except you couldn't do anything with them. iCloud changes that.

All that said - the Galaxy Nexus looks *very* good. It also has Ice Cream Sandwich, awesome screen resolution (finally! - it's impossible going back from a retina display, but most SGS2 users don't even know about that...).

So the G-Nexus is serious competition - let's see how much it will cost. Probably as much as a 4S. It still won't have anything like SIRI, and it still will be half as fast in various web benchmarks (same processor as the SGS2), and don't even mention games. And made from plastic. But it will put up a challenge with an ever higher res screen (1280x!!), better maps, a more polished Android.

I am not a fanboy at all, so I'll be sure to check out ICS - perhaps they have solved the stuttering scrolling, would be about time.

Maybe the N9 came out a little too late again? ;)

Edited by nikster