Bangkok Districts

XpatJohn

Hi All,

In a few days I will be accepting a position with a company in Bangkok. The company is located in-between the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the Netherlands Embassy. (Also near the Four Seasons Hotel.)

In any case, I am trying to plan the logistics of where to live in the short term while I get situated in my new home. What I would like to know is what district is this area in? On some maps I see it listed as Silom and on others it is listed as Sukhumvit. Is either of these correct? Or is the area called something else?

If anyone can point me to a detailed map of the area, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

Based on your description, I think your firm is located in Pathum Wan district, which spans a reasonably large area. If would help if you could provide the building name or name of the road your firm is located on as the RSBC and the Dutch Embassy are not on the same road. In any case, you would do well to think about finding a place to live in terms of accessibility, likely via the BTS skytrain system. Again, based on your somewhat vague description, there are several BTS stations which you may want to look around including Ploen Chit, Chid Lom, Siam, Ratchadamri, and Silom, all of which is likely to be priced at the upper end of the scale.

Like I said, if you can give us a few more bread crumbs to follow, we might be of more assistance :)

Based on your description, I think your firm is located in Pathum Wan district, which spans a reasonably large area. If would help if you could provide the building name or name of the road your firm is located on as the RSBC and the Dutch Embassy are not on the same road. In any case, you would do well to think about finding a place to live in terms of accessibility, likely via the BTS skytrain system. Again, based on your somewhat vague description, there are several BTS stations which you may want to look around including Ploen Chit, Chid Lom, Siam, Ratchadamri, and Silom, all of which is likely to be priced at the upper end of the scale.

Like I said, if you can give us a few more bread crumbs to follow, we might be of more assistance :)

hehe. Sorry about that. I am going off landmarks I saw on google maps. A more exact location would be Thanon Lang Swon & Lang Suan 1.

The plan is to live within walking distance for about a week while I get acclimated. Then pick an area to live in if the immediate area doesn't work.

hehe. Sorry about that. I am going off landmarks I saw on google maps. A more exact location would be Thanon Lang Swon & Lang Suan 1.

The plan is to live within walking distance for about a week while I get acclimated. Then pick an area to live in if the immediate area doesn't work.

As the crow flies, I think either Ratchamdri or Chid Lom BTS stations would be the closest. There should be a number of hotels you can check into in that area for a week while you decide whether or not you want to stay in the area. Keep in mind that there are many other great parts of the city to live in which have BTS access if you don't mind commuting on the train for 10-20 minutes every day. I highly recommend you spend your non-working hours wandering around. Ask your new colleagues as well!

Agreed he's in the Pathum Wan district. He half way between either the Ratchadamri BTS or Chit Lom BTS. Any place along the BTS lines will get you to work. But you'll need to walk anyway. 500 meters either way. If you want to walk to work from your home then I think your in a high priced neighborhood. Anyone elaborate on that? So if you find any places along the BTS lines you can get to work. Gives you more choices that way.

Agreed he's in the Pathum Wan district. He half way between either the Ratchadamri BTS or Chit Lom BTS. Any place along the BTS lines will get you to work. But you'll need to walk anyway. 500 meters either way. If you want to walk to work from your home then I think your in a high priced neighborhood. Anyone elaborate on that? So if you find any places along the BTS lines you can get to work. Gives you more choices that way.

Thank you for the info. It will come in handy as I do some preliminary apartment searching. It is kind of funny how I can find apartments in that area ranging from 4200 Bhat all the way to 200k+ bhat.

I see myself doing a lot of leg work once I am there. Currently I have checked out 9apartment.com but their selection seems limited and the information extremely sparse. Any other suggestions for websites that will give me a realistic view of prices/location?

Thank you for the info. It will come in handy as I do some preliminary apartment searching. It is kind of funny how I can find apartments in that area ranging from 4200 Bhat all the way to 200k+ bhat.

I see myself doing a lot of leg work once I am there. Currently I have checked out 9apartment.com but their selection seems limited and the information extremely sparse. Any other suggestions for websites that will give me a realistic view of prices/location?

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com

mrroomfinder etc etc etc

The best way to find places is to pound the pavement. I know a guy that lived right around there for 7k/mo in a decent studio with AC etc. WAY too small a place for me. I lived further out with a decent 1br place for 6.5 .... I am up in Chiang Mai now in a monster of a house in the center of the city for 12.5K

If you are on a good budget it might be worth renting a place you can walk-away from until you can find something nice in the range you want to pay. (If I were to live in the area again it would probably be off Sathorn.

mrroomfinder etc etc etc

The best way to find places is to pound the pavement. I know a guy that lived right around there for 7k/mo in a decent studio with AC etc. WAY too small a place for me. I lived further out with a decent 1br place for 6.5 .... I am up in Chiang Mai now in a monster of a house in the center of the city for 12.5K

If you are on a good budget it might be worth renting a place you can walk-away from until you can find something nice in the range you want to pay. (If I were to live in the area again it would probably be off Sathorn.

Thank you all for the assistance. I think I have a good feel for where my office will be in comparison to the rest of Bangkok. This has given me a good foundation for ballpark ideas on rents, neighborhood qualities, etc...

Looking forward to Thailand.

welcome to Bangkok !

Langsuan is my top favorite soi (road) in Bangkok....

If I were you I would temporarily stay at a serviced apt on Soi Langsuan (while scouting out a more permanent place)

most Langsuaners (tourists and residents) who dont drive walk to the CHIDLOM BTS station (connected to the flagship CENTRAL DEPT STORE) and stop for a coffee at STARBUCKS LANGSUAN

some serviced apts on Langsuan:

Capehouse Langsuan

http://www.capehouse.com/

Marriott Mayfair

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bkker-mayfair-bangkok-marriott-executive-apartments/

NaturalVille Langsuan

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d299605-Reviews-Natural_Ville_Bangkok-Bangkok.html

or if the company is paying

Muse Hotel Langsuan (opening August 2011)

http://www.hotelmusebangkok.com/

the Villa supermarket is next to Marriott Mayfair...

the Portico Langsuan with Lemon Farm organic grocers and shops, baleries, restaurants, Wine Loft and fitness is opening very soon (they are internally fitting out now) http://www.theporticolangsuan.com/