New Australian Tourist Visa

hi guys

my mother in law was granted a tourist visa to australia, 3 months

im told it was approved on 15th june and that is the start day of the 3 months ?

i thought you get three months from date of arrival ?

anybody can confirm which one it is or can i call thai australian embassy in bangkok and ask ?

i was the sponsor?...i wrote a letter inviting her and helped with the paper work

Hi,

You said 'a start day of 3 month'. Sorry that makes no sense.

When you mother-in-law collected her passport she would have been given a notice/letter advising that her tourist visa had been granted. That notice outlines the length of stay and validity granted. Have you read that notice? It would say words to the effect, "permitted to say 3 months from date of arrival - single entry - must not arrived after **/**/**".

If you tell us what is on that notice, then perhaps can give you a better answer.

sorry i wasnt very clear

if the visa is valid for only 3 months from date of issue does that mean if she STILL gets 3 month stay if she arrives 15th july or she would only have 2 months to stay ?

i was checking if the visa starts now or when she arrives ?

i'm assuming you get 3 month stay on arrival and must enter within 3 months of it being issued ?, please confirm

thanks in advance

Your 3 months start from the day your visa is stamped at immigration in australia.

So if you arrive June 30 you will leave at the latest 29th september. 3months.

It is not from the date of grant.

From the Immi website sub class 676 section

Visa validity

You may be granted a Tourist visa for:

•a stay of up to 12 months, or a shorter period, depending on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances

•a single entry or multiple entries to Australia.

You must leave Australia on or before the date that your visa expires.

Example: If you are granted a three month stay Tourist visa and arrive in Australia on 1 January 2007, you must leave on or before 1 April 2007.

Hope that clears it up

Hi Stu,

I understand your confusion, I was also confused the first time in the same way but a quick call to the department clarified things. I didn't know about Thai Visa Forum back then.

Hope your motherinlaw enjoys her stay

Cheers

Hi Stu,

I understand your confusion, I was also confused the first time in the same way but a quick call to the department clarified things. I didn't know about Thai Visa Forum back then.

Hope your motherinlaw enjoys her stay

Cheers

From the time the tourist visa is stamped here in thailand.How long is it valid for,if not used.

a mate asked yesterday,it use to be 6 months can anyone confirm this,i think..

thanks cat