Skoda Yeti 1.2 Turbo

triffid

Would appreciate views by people more knowledgable than I about a) buying this vehicle at twice the price it's available at in England, and maintaining/servicing it at the VW people in Chaingmai. It's had generally good reviews abroad and I'm eying it as a possible replacement for my 5 year old Mazda 3.

Been watching series 16 of TopGear hey? ;)

The Yeti 1.2 TSI is officially available in two trim levels - the Classic @ 1.3M and the Ambiente @ 1.45M Baht. The official dealer for Skoda is MTM who are currently only in BKK - you'd have to talk to them about servicing outside of their facilities.

Unless you're buying gray market/used, in which case you'd want to ask your local VW dealer whether they'd even touch it first.

Thanks a lot for that info, MRO.

I found a Bangkok Post article on the web and that had a higher price than the ones you mention, so your figures - hope they're accurate - are good news! I will search for 'MTM Bangkok' online.

If Top Gear review was the one with Jeremy Clarkson and the tattoo operation in the car I frankly found it so tasteless that I skipped past 90% of the tape. But everything else I've seen I was impressed with. What's your opinion of it - and how would you compare it with feasible competition available to buy officially in Thailand in the price range - ie crossover that are not too big?

Been watching series 16 of TopGear hey? ;)

The Yeti 1.2 TSI is officially available in two trim levels - the Classic @ 1.3M and the Ambiente @ 1.45M Baht. The official dealer for Skoda is MTM who are currently only in BKK - you'd have to talk to them about servicing outside of their facilities.

Unless you're buying gray market/used, in which case you'd want to ask your local VW dealer whether they'd even touch it first.

I found a Bangkok Post article on the web and that had a higher price than the ones you mention, so your figures - hope they're accurate - are good news! I will search for 'MTM Bangkok' online.

If Top Gear review was the one with Jeremy Clarkson and the tattoo operation in the car I frankly found it so tasteless that I skipped past 90% of the tape. But everything else I've seen I was impressed with. What's your opinion of it - and how would you compare it with feasible competition available to buy officially in Thailand in the price range - ie crossover that are not too big?

I saw one when I was down at MTM a couple of weeks ago, but I only poked around it for a couple of minutes (was there to test drive the Superb).

It looked incredibly well built - definitely a cut above the usual suspects on build quality and materials. Styling is a matter of personal taste of course, but if you were in the market for a CR-V, Captiva, Grand Vitrara, X-Trail etc, and live in a area where you could have it warranty serviced (you will need to check that very clearly if in CM), I would surely recommend a test drive..

Prices IMHO are very keen given it's overall quality and import status - it's hard to imagine it'd be much cheaper if it were locally made, given the quality of finishes and the turbo engine.

Here's the MTM site: http://mtm-thailand.com/ (not very up to date I'm afraid)

Their main showroom is on Sukhumvit down near soi 101, and they also have cars on display at Paragon 2nd floor.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The Czech made cars have had a hard time over the years, the two trim levels for Thailand is the same as India.

Announcement was made in late 2010 that Skoda Yeti will be built in China by Shanghai-VW in 2013.

They have got good ratings but somehow with remembering all the jokes about Skoda I still don't think, when the question is asked ?

I could bring myself to say I have a Skoda.:whistling:

The Czech made cars have had a hard time over the years, the two trim levels for Thailand is the same as India.

Announcement was made in late 2010 that Skoda Yeti will be built in China by Shanghai-VW in 2013.

They have got good ratings but somehow with remembering all the jokes about Skoda I still don't think, when the question is asked ?

Skoda became a majority owned VW brand in the mid 90's, and all models from about 2000 onwards are thoroughly VW.

Jokes like "How do you double the value of a Skoda?..... fill up the gas tank" are getting pretty weak now, and most buyers over the past decade simply see it as a great way to buy VW engineering and build quality, at a substantially lower price - your gain, their loss so to speak.

That said, I do have to admit that even though I knew Skoda was now well and truly a VW group brand, I still though of them as a bit of a joke, until I saw their stand at the motor show back in March...

It took me almost 3 months to find the time to go visit their showroom and have a test drive though - and it (the Superb) practically blew my socks off for the price. Way better than all competitors in the price range IMHO.

But alas, I didn't buy one. Had it a VW badge, umm, yes I probably would have. In fact I would have without a 2nd thought. I realize it's silly, but yeah, old stigmas are hard to break, even when you know they're completely baseless now.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Skoda became a majority owned VW brand in the mid 90's, and all models from about 2000 onwards are thoroughly VW.

Jokes like "How do you double the value of a Skoda?..... fill up the gas tank" are getting pretty weak now, and most buyers over the past decade simply see it as a great way to buy VW engineering and build quality, at a substantially lower price - your gain, their loss so to speak.

yepp, 100% VW/Seat/Audi since 1998 when they dropped the last Skoda engine/parts

Looking for a large sedan less than 2 mill baht in BKK, Skoda Superb would probably be my choise today

yepp, 100% VW/Seat/Audi since 1998 when they dropped the last Skoda engine/parts

Looking for a large sedan less than 2 mill baht in BKK, Skoda Superb would probably be my choise today

Yeah, you're right. This topic now has me feeling guilty for not giving the Superb a fairer go :yellowcard:

Yep !! good for Skoda, I suppose you could always get it delivered with all the badges off, as mentioned in another thread and put a Cayenne's ones on.:)

Edited by Kwasaki

And here's the Yeti video referred to eariler on (warning includes making a tattoo in a driving car - not pretty):

always wondered if Ninja650 could go on the roof of Fortuner/Pajero sport. will try tomorrow, only one bike tho :D

IIRC, the Fortuner roof rails are rated for a max load of 80kg - that's going to be taking into account some addional aerodynamic stresses though. Good luck anyways :) If it fails dramatically, make sure you post pics :P

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I saw one when I was down at MTM a couple of weeks ago, but I only poked around it for a couple of minutes (was there to test drive the Superb).

It looked incredibly well built - definitely a cut above the usual suspects on build quality and materials. Styling is a matter of personal taste of course, but if you were in the market for a CR-V, Captiva, Grand Vitrara, X-Trail etc, and live in a area where you could have it warranty serviced (you will need to check that very clearly if in CM), I would surely recommend a test drive..

Prices IMHO are very keen given it's overall quality and import status - it's hard to imagine it'd be much cheaper if it were locally made, given the quality of finishes and the turbo engine.

Here's the MTM site: http://mtm-thailand.com/ (not very up to date I'm afraid)

Their main showroom is on Sukhumvit down near soi 101, and they also have cars on display at Paragon 2nd floor.

dam_n! I was in Bangkok until yesterday - could easily have gone to Paragon or even Sukh 101. By the way, are you sure that MTM is their sole official agent in this country?

I am away for the summer and will be in the market for a new car from the winter onwards. Skoda is pretty much on the top of my list of replacements for my Mazda 3. One of the appealing points of the Yeti is that it's small and reportedly refined enough to be comparable to a city (cum long-distance) car like the Mazda3. I'll look at the Superbe too. How would you rate the Yeti against the Suzuki Grand Vitara?

PS Where on the web can I find current thai prices for Skoda models? (MTM's doesn't have them)

PPS. I've long got over the ancient stigma against the Skoda badge/name. Anyway I doubt that it has that history among thais.

Edited by triffid

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/vehicle/searchvehicles.php?lang=en&prcmin=-1&prcmax=-1&minyr=2011&maxyr=2011&engmin=-1&engmax=-1&tran=&kwords=&chkCatM=M&chkCatL=L&Submit=Begin+Search&new=1&make=SKOD&family=SUPERB&vt=PS

PS Where on the web can I find current thai prices for Skoda models? (MTM's doesn't have them)

PPS. I've long got over the ancient stigma against the Skoda badge/name. Anyway I doubt that it has that history among thais.

dam_n! I was in Bangkok until yesterday - could easily have gone to Paragon or even Sukh 101. By the way, are you sure that MTM is their sole official agent in this country?

I am away for the summer and will be in the market for a new car from the winter onwards. Skoda is pretty much on the top of my list of replacements for my Mazda 3. One of the appealing points of the Yeti is that it's small and reportedly refined enough to be comparable to a city (cum long-distance) car like the Mazda3. I'll look at the Superbe too. How would you rate the Yeti against the Suzuki Grand Vitara?

There could be other importers for Skoda, but the Skoda stand at the last BKK internation Motor Show was being run by MTM, and the prices I'm quoting come from them...

Having not actually test driven the Yeti, I couldn't pass final judgment on it compared to other rivals, but it easily wins on fit and finish, when compared to similarly priced options - it's nearest competition on that level would be the BMW X1.

My biggest concern with the brand is it's lack of a dealer network, and general lack of strength/market penetration - what happens if the primary importer now drops the product or goes out of business? Or you get stuck upcountry somewhere with a mechanical fault? Sure it's all VW group sourced, but AFAIK there's no VW in TH running the same 1.2 TSI engine (the Golf uses the 1.4 TSI), so many parts arent' going to be off-the-shelf.

I don't know where Redbook gets it's prices from, but they're well over the prices published at the motor show, and the press releases that have come out this year.

Anyone else notice that Rebook have pulled huge amounts fo data from their TH website? Probably not such a bad thing, given the numerous innacuracies anyway I guess.. Looks to me like they're winding down or scaling back their TH operations...

You have a persuasive point about the Yeti's engine not being shared with any VW.

What about the Superb? Would its engines be more familiar to VW mechanics? Did you find anything about it less than superb for the price - other than its badge?smile.gif What price did they quote for the Superb and for which model?

The Bangkok Post article quoted about 1.59m baht for the Yeti.

There could be other importers for Skoda, but the Skoda stand at the last BKK internation Motor Show was being run by MTM, and the prices I'm quoting come from them...

Having not actually test driven the Yeti, I couldn't pass final judgment on it compared to other rivals, but it easily wins on fit and finish, when compared to similarly priced options - it's nearest competition on that level would be the BMW X1.

My biggest concern with the brand is it's lack of a dealer network, and general lack of strength/market penetration - what happens if the primary importer now drops the product or goes out of business? Or you get stuck upcountry somewhere with a mechanical fault? Sure it's all VW group sourced, but AFAIK there's no VW in TH running the same 1.2 TSI engine (the Golf uses the 1.4 TSI), so many parts arent' going to be off-the-shelf.

I don't know where Redbook gets it's prices from, but they're well over the prices published at the motor show, and the press releases that have come out this year.

Anyone else notice that Rebook have pulled huge amounts fo data from their TH website? Probably not such a bad thing, given the numerous innacuracies anyway I guess.. Looks to me like they're winding down or scaling back their TH operations...

You have a persuasive point about the Yeti's engine not being shared with any VW.

What about the Superb? Would its engines be more familiar to VW mechanics? Did you find anything about it less than superb for the price - other than its badge?smile.gif What price did they quote for the Superb and for which model?

Superb 1,8T 5 valve is a VW/Seat/Audi engine used for 15 years in all segments, Polo to A6. Comes as 150,160,180,210,225hp. Very reliable, very happy to be chipsed. I chipsed 150hp to 211 hp 12 years ago. Still running fine :)

1.2 TSi is a new tech engine

Again, I'm not sure where these inflated prices come from - either there's another importer bringing them in at higher pirces, or the prices I've been quoted were motor show specials (but ones they were happy to honor more than 2 months later), or BKK Post is using Redbook data, and it's horribly out of date..

I was offered 1.795M for the Superb Classic, and 1.98M for the Superb Ambiente - Redbook has these listed at 1.98M and 2.15M respectively.

Both models have front, side, rear curtain and knee airbags as standard, along with ESP, traction contol,. torque vectoring, and a EuroNCAP 5 star rating. I also really dig the hatchback-come-sedan rear door. Interior trims and general fit & finish really are superb (pun intended ;) ), and the driving manners were excellent.

My only critiques would be that I'm not a huge fan of the rear-end styling, and the ride is biased a little towards the firm side, making it more of a driver's car than a lounge chair, but compliance remains very good, so don't take that as meaning it drives like a rock :) It's along the lines of typical BMW ride tuning, but perhaps with a little less steering feel/directness..

As KBB notes, the 1.8L TSI engine has been used in many different models in TH, so parts should not be as big of an issue. I'm sure there's still plenty of common parts between the 1.2L TSI and the 1.4L TSI, but obviously not all of them..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

If the Superb price went up to and beyond 2m baht it would run into dangerous competition with the new - and also very well reviewed - Lexus hybrid, surely.

went

Again, I'm not sure where these inflated prices come from - either there's another importer bringing them in at higher pirces, or the prices I've been quoted were motor show specials (but ones they were happy to honor more than 2 months later), or BKK Post is using Redbook data, and it's horribly out of date..

I was offered 1.795M for the Superb Classic, and 1.98M for the Superb Ambiente - Redbook has these listed at 1.98M and 2.15M respectively.

Both models have front, side, rear curtain and knee airbags as standard, along with ESP, traction contol,. torque vectoring, and a EuroNCAP 5 star rating. I also really dig the hatchback-come-sedan rear door. Interior trims and general fit & finish really are superb (pun intended ;) ), and the driving manners were excellent.

My only critiques would be that I'm not a huge fan of the rear-end styling, and the ride is biased a little towards the firm side, making it more of a driver's car than a lounge chair, but compliance remains very good, so don't take that as meaning it drives like a rock :) It's along the lines of typical BMW ride tuning, but perhaps with a little less steering feel/directness..

As KBB notes, the 1.8L TSI engine has been used in many different models in TH, so parts should not be as big of an issue. I'm sure there's still plenty of common parts between the 1.2L TSI and the 1.4L TSI, but obviously not all of them..

If the Superb price went up to and beyond 2m baht it would run into dangerous competition with the new - and also very well reviewed - Lexus hybrid, surely.

Well, that would take a buyer who's entirely flexible about what they want - the ct200h is a C-segment hatchback, the Superb a substantially larger and more luxuirous D-Segment saloon.You're also well into BMW X1 Series and 3 Series pricing once you get to ct200h price levels, but again each rarely cannibalises the other as they're such different cars..

Not everyone is completely flexible about the style of car they want :)

You make valid points, MRO.

Is there by the way a magazine which lists reliable car prices in Thailand? In the way that the last pages of a british magazine like Autocar - and many others - do? (You hinted the the Redbook site is not reliable in its info.)

Well, that would take a buyer who's entirely flexible about what they want - the ct200h is a C-segment hatchback, the Superb a substantially larger and more luxuirous D-Segment saloon.You're also well into BMW X1 Series and 3 Series pricing once you get to ct200h price levels, but again each rarely cannibalises the other as they're such different cars..

Not everyone is completely flexible about the style of car they want :)

Edited by triffid

The Yeti seems good but expensive apart from service worries, the Seperb sounds a better bet but being compared to a C class merc as price goes it's good value, so hows the " ride " and " price " compare to the Teana as well as the most popular Camry 2.0L & 2.4L & Accord 2.0L & 2.4L out of interest.

Edited by Kwasaki

The Yeti seems good but expensive apart from service worries, the Seperb sounds a better bet but being compared to a C class merc as price goes it's good value, so hows the " ride " and " price " compare to the Teana as well as the most popular Camry 2.0L & 2.4L & Accord 2.0L & 2.4L out of interest.

Price-wise, the Superb starts at the top-spec Camry Hybrid price-point, or 100K over the price of a top-spec 2.4L Accord or 2.5L Teana - you do have to go to the Ambiente trim level to get all the bells and whistles though.

Shopping in this price-point is all about compromises, so it's up to the buyer to choose what they see as being the best balance. Here's the way I see these cars lining up against each other:

Toyota Camry 2.4L/Hybrid:

Interior design and materials: good

Drivetrain: 2.4L - good, Hybrid: poor*

Build Quality: good

Handling: good

Comfort: very good

NVH: very good

Resale value: excellent

Dealer network: excellent

Honda Accord 2.4L:

Drivetrain: 2.4L - good

Handling: very good

Comfort - average to poor

NVH: average to poor

Nissan Teana 250VX:

Interior design and materials: very good to excellent

Drivetrain: very good

Build Quality: very good

Handling: good to very good

Dealer network: very good

Skoda Superb:

Interior design and materials: excellent

Build Quality: excellent

Resale value: unknown

Dealer network: poor

* I can't stand the Camry Hybrid's drivetrain - the combination of hybrid lag coupled with torque converter auto lag makes it the most unresponsive car I've ever driven.

How would you compare them on running costs and maintenance (taking into account spare part costs of course) - putting to one side depreciation and garage availability and service?

PS Is the Octavia also imported here by the official agent?

How would you compare them on running costs and maintenance (taking into account spare part costs of course) - putting to one side depreciation and garage availability and service?

PS Is the Octavia also imported here by the official agent?

VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda 1,8T cars need service/oil/filter every 30k km, while the TH Japs are scheduled for 10k km services.

All need new brake pads within 60k km, both my 2007 Camry and 2008 Accord needed 4 new brake rotors within 40k km

Except for that parts should not need replacing 3 years/100k km

1,8T 7speed DSG far less (20-40%) fuel when driving fast, less (10-20%) fuel when driving normal speeds, 95 Gasohol E10 preferred for all of them

What is 'NVH'?

How would the cars compare for maintenance costs (including spare parts' cost), running costs? (Leaving aside depreciation, and availability of dealers/garages)

Price-wise, the Superb starts at the top-spec Camry Hybrid price-point, or 100K over the price of a top-spec 2.4L Accord or 2.5L Teana - you do have to go to the Ambiente trim level to get all the bells and whistles though.

Shopping in this price-point is all about compromises, so it's up to the buyer to choose what they see as being the best balance. Here's the way I see these cars lining up against each other:

Toyota Camry 2.4L/Hybrid:

Drivetrain: 2.4L - good, Hybrid: poor*

Handling: good

Honda Accord 2.4L:

Drivetrain: 2.4L - good

Comfort - average to poor

NVH: average to poor

Nissan Teana 250VX:

Interior design and materials: very good to excellent

Build Quality: very good

Handling: good to very good

Dealer network: very good

Skoda Superb:

Interior design and materials: excellent

Build Quality: excellent

Resale value: unknown

Dealer network: poor

* I can't stand the Camry Hybrid's drivetrain - the combination of hybrid lag coupled with torque converter auto lag makes it the most unresponsive car I've ever driven.

What is 'NVH'?

How would the cars compare for maintenance costs (including spare parts' cost), running costs? (Leaving aside depreciation, and availability of dealers/garages)

I didn't get so far as to ask about servicing costs for the Skoda, as the lack of upcountry service centers is a non-starter for me. The Japanese brands are all about the same however.

NVH = Noise, Vibration, Harshness