Can Thai Society Ever Be Freed Of Corruption?

webfact

Thaksin did indeed try to tackle corruption. It may well have been in order to feather his own nest but at least he tried to do something.

I was interviewed by a special task force set up by him at Suan Plu trying to track down corruption amongst the immigration police. He also tried to take on the army and reduce their stranglehold. He should be applauded on both counts as police corruption and army interference are where the problems stem from.

It was this that led to the elite, who were feeling the pinch, getting rid of him anyway they could.

Thaksin should be applauded for fight corruption? lolol Really?

Taksin, fight corruption? He has a professorship in it and teaches it daily from Dubai or where he is today.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you could start with ethics classes. But who would run them?

In NSW, they formed a special squad to offer bribes to police, used those caught as informers/entrappers. Some success. Most H/way patrol cars have video of bookings taking place now.

Politicians vote-buying with huge sums are obviously eyeing the big corruption dollars. Gaol time should be mandatory, and big fines for voters accepting. Possible use of fake canvassers asking for ID before the handout.

Similarly, dummy tenders for govt contracts. Those caught should be gaoled, with loss of all leave/pension benefits, and their assets seized if unexplainably obtained.

It takes only a few honest men with a desire for change for the better.

ETHICS, is there a word in Thai for ethics. My opinion; ethical solutions are way above the thinking of all SE Asia leaders. Get as much as you can as quick as you can is the motto here. Whether you are a farmer or a political representative. Land Of Smiles, only while your wallet is out of your pocket giving Thai's money.

Scorecard wrote, in several posts on this topic :

Several lecturers (pt members) regularly hand out red shirt materials and CDs to the students and they have told the students that if they didn't support the red shirts they will fail

In one promotion cycle one of his army family members jumped 5 ranks. Nothing said anything, because nobody dared to challenge him, hardly democracy.

He threatened to sack the entire police force...... Greatest laugh ever.

Can you also share some links or other details on these claims. I'm particularly interested in which University these lecturers work. Thanks.

1. "He threatened to sack the entire police force" was posted by another member, I just quoted it in a reply.

2. You seriously think I'm going to publically reveal the name of my son's university?

I will say that it's not of the high profile 'famous' institutes. It is highly recognized for the subject which my son studies, which doesn't attract a high volume of students, but for many subjects: Economics, Accounting, Engineering and more it's way down the Thai rankings. I'll also mention that the students have gathered many petitions to complain about teachers, the administration, the president, etc., but nothing ever results. And my understanding is that all of this is common in many Thai universities.

Ever considered that this could be your son's excuse for his poor grades or if he is getting good grades, an opportunity to swindle some money out of you?

Unless his teacher/lecturer actually told you in explicit terms that he will give your son better grades in return for some tea money, you can't be 100% sure can you?

In grade school in Chonburi children are asked by teachers for money to improve their grades. The teacher told me that "T" money would never go unnoticed.

Thaksin did indeed try to tackle corruption. It may well have been in order to feather his own nest but at least he tried to do something.

I was interviewed by a special task force set up by him at Suan Plu trying to track down corruption amongst the immigration police. He also tried to take on the army and reduce their stranglehold. He should be applauded on both counts as police corruption and army interference are where the problems stem from.

It was this that led to the elite, who were feeling the pinch, getting rid of him anyway they could.

Thaksin was never in favor of fighting corruption. His doings were to transfer all the money into his pocket rather than the many.

He just wanted to centralize it with him self being in the center.:jap:

This thread was asking a rhetorical question as to whether Thailand would ever be free of corruption. How did it get hijacked to become another Thaksin bashing thread?

Because he is the head of the corruption institute in Thailand. Even when in Dubai he manages to get his 2 cents in to get his hands on billions from that same 2 cents. Any thread on corruption must include Taksin bashing.

The Thais could reduce corruption-if they had the moral will to do so...

Lets face it, people of all stripes like corruption when it benefits them. Even we expats talk about how great it is to slip the Thai cops one or two hundred baht to make everything "OK" when we drive the wrong way on a one way street. On the other hand, we scream bloody murder when the same copper nails us for that horrendous crime of "Driving in the Right Lane..." :rolleyes:

LOL, my sentiments exactly. More like Taksin fought corruption so there would be more available for him to steal.

Scorecard wrote, in several posts on this topic :

Several lecturers (pt members) regularly hand out red shirt materials and CDs to the students and they have told the students that if they didn't support the red shirts they will fail

In one promotion cycle one of his army family members jumped 5 ranks. Nothing said anything, because nobody dared to challenge him, hardly democracy.

He threatened to sack the entire police force...... Greatest laugh ever.

Can you also share some links or other details on these claims. I'm particularly interested in which University these lecturers work. Thanks.

1. "He threatened to sack the entire police force" was posted by another member, I just quoted it in a reply.

2. You seriously think I'm going to publically reveal the name of my son's university?

I will say that it's not of the high profile 'famous' institutes. It is highly recognized for the subject which my son studies, which doesn't attract a high volume of students, but for many subjects: Economics, Accounting, Engineering and more it's way down the Thai rankings. I'll also mention that the students have gathered many petitions to complain about teachers, the administration, the president, etc., but nothing ever results. And my understanding is that all of this is common in many Thai universities.

So, in plain English, you have NO evidence whatsoever, to support your wild accusations and assertions. ( I note you conveniently forgot about the promotion cycle statement). Yet you request that other posters supply links, when they make points you don't agree with. Another one for the "ignore" list.:unsure:

It was I who posted 'Taksin threatened to sack the entire police force'. This was from the Bangkok Post around 7-8 years ago. You can do a search of their archives. I personally can't be arsed. But it stuck in my memory.

Edited by evanson

Well, you could start with ethics classes. But who would run them?

In NSW, they formed a special squad to offer bribes to police, used those caught as informers/entrappers. Some success. Most H/way patrol cars have video of bookings taking place now.

Politicians vote-buying with huge sums are obviously eyeing the big corruption dollars. Gaol time should be mandatory, and big fines for voters accepting. Possible use of fake canvassers asking for ID before the handout.

Similarly, dummy tenders for govt contracts. Those caught should be gaoled, with loss of all leave/pension benefits, and their assets seized if unexplainably obtained.

It takes only a few honest men with a desire for change for the better.

ETHICS, is there a word in Thai for ethics. My opinion; ethical solutions are way above the thinking of all SE Asia leaders. Get as much as you can as quick as you can is the motto here. Whether you are a farmer or a political representative. Land Of Smiles, only while your wallet is out of your pocket giving Thai's money.

Yes. จริยธรรม.

Whether they're practiced or not is another matter.

What is so interesting is that neighbor Malaysia has considerably less corruption and Singapore basically nill. Malaysia under the yoke of colonial imperialist running dogs. Lovely, tranquil Thailand. The bastion of peace, order and civility.

It will get to a point like the Philippines when it will cost extra to get something done, not just getting it done quickly. As many farang know all to well, this day has long since arrived when dealing with land/housing issues.

Will be interesting if Taksin's sister is elected. Seeing as she has so much legislative experience. Good universities, good business sense. Has a sound footing in government and understands the needs of her people. Will be very interesting to see her brother return to Thailand. That will be a bit of a judicial hat trick performed by the executive branch no doubt with complicity from the legislative.

<snip>

Will be interesting if Taksin's sister is elected. Seeing as she has so much legislative experience. Good universities, good business sense. Has a sound footing in government and understands the needs of her people. Will be very interesting to see her brother return to Thailand. That will be a bit of a judicial hat trick performed by the executive branch no doubt with complicity from the legislative.

Good universities? A university, anyway.

Good business sense? I don't think I've seen anything about her business sense except that she has been appointed to top positions in her brother's companies. Oh .. And she "looked after 20 million customers".

Sound footing in government? NO political experience.

Understands the needs of her people? Do you mean her son, with his 2500 m2 football pitch?

All she will ensure, is that "Thai society can never be freed from corruption".

Edited by whybother

Isn't corruption simply a means to get things done, in which the set order of things has failed in? And isn't corruption also an accepted method that takes on the overflow until it can be ratified into an ineffective law; which in turn breeds further corruption to continue the progress of civilization? Why do good people pick their noses with their fingers when no one is looking, instead of getting up out of their easy chairs to get a tissue? Because it's easier to do; when no one is looking, and it gets the job done. Authorities who are sympathetic to corruption are better people than authorities who have OCD to the rule and letter of the law. I'll cast my vote with the former.

I doubt if corruption will every be eliminated. For example, police are paid poorly and, unofficially, wink, wink, told to supplement their income from their "customers".

More fairly, I think that most countries are plagued by corruption so it is a human condition.

I doubt if corruption will every be eliminated. For example, police are paid poorly and, unofficially, wink, wink, told to supplement their income from their "customers".

More fairly, I think that most countries are plagued by corruption so it is a human condition.

I know that some time ago. The boss of the Police in Bangkokcomplained that he was pulled up three times in a short distance on his wayhome at road blocks. :blink: He said it was ridiculous. He also stated that, “I know the Police have to subsidise their wages somehow but this is ridiculous.”:whistling:

To answer the Topis, NO. :jap:

LOL, my sentiments exactly. More like Taksin fought corruption so there would be more available for him to steal.

Actually, when Thaksin was in power he had a weekly radio show. During one of the shows he discussed how "corruption is normal" and people shouldn't worry about it. PAD came into being not much later.

Khaleej Times Online - Thai prime minister says corruption natural

Thai caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Saturday that corruption is quite normal in life and to be expected.

He told his weekly radio audience that most people will exploit any opportunities they can find to make extra money.

“It’s human nature to try to find loopholes. To cheat, to look for the weak spot in any system,” Thaksin said.

Edited by lannarebirth

What's wrong with corruption anyway? This is the way that things have functioned for centuries and will probably continue to function long after we are have turned into dust. It's just a different way of doing things. Who is to judge whether corruption is good or bad?

As far as I'm concerned, give me a corrupt Thailand rather than a "non-corrupt USA or UK". I for one know where I have a better life.

What's wrong with corruption anyway? This is the way that things have functioned for centuries and will probably continue to function long after we are have turned into dust. It's just a different way of doing things. Who is to judge whether corruption is good or bad?

As far as I'm concerned, give me a corrupt Thailand rather than a "non-corrupt USA or UK". I for one know where I have a better life.

So your not an equal rights, equal protection under the law sort then? What a low regard you seem to have for Thai people, the chief sufferers of this corruption. Not everyone can afford the price of justice or access that a corrupt system demands.

Edited by lannarebirth

So your not an equal rights, equal protection under the law sort then? What a low regard you seem to have for Thai people, the chief sufferers of this corruption. Not everyone can afford the price of justice or access that a corrupt system demands.

I'll have to agree with BKKorupcountry, soooo, I guess you are responding to me as well? I don't know about BKKorupcounty's response, but I'll give you mine.

Your question is vague and it generalizes a deeper meaning, but that meaning is ambiguous.

Do you mean equal rights for the street dogs? Or perhaps equal rights for criminals? How about equal rights for flat out stupid people? Equal rights for 2000 human corpses piled up inside a temple? How about equal rights for Thaksin?

Honestly, I do not know from which viewpoint you are coming from, so this could respectfully be construed as a bait and hook. I like the corruption because it frees me from the anal retentive uselessness of politically corrupt countries such as the USA. I do not pander with thoughts of the oppressed when I pay the fine and move on.

Incidentally, do you pay the fine and move on, or do you do the right thing and drive yourself to the police station and sign up to see the judge to plead your case for driving illegally, as the ticket states? When on the receiving end of corruption, to you go along with it, or do you do what you do from some kind of unmentioned motivational belief?

Equal rights is well meant, for sure, but is too oft used as a trump card by irresponsible, lazy, cruel, stupid, ignorant people.

'Didn't mean to step on your toes. Apologies if I did.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

If Thailand wanted to figure out how to end corruption ( they don't) , they need look no farther than Singapore. When Thailand built the new airport, they sent fact finding teams to Europe to see how to set up a good airport. If they want to end corruption, they need to send fact finding teams to Singapore, and find out how they became the only corruption free country in Asia. As I recall it took them about 10 years to do it. So that proves that corruption is not built into the Asian mind, but rather a horrible system that is forced upon them. I am not talking about 100 baht to got the head of a line, but rather the endless shoddy major projects such as roads, where half the money is siphoned away.

If you are rich, corruption is great, as in essence you are invulnerable to every form of punishment. If you are poor, it is a really crappy system......

I'll have to agree with BKKorupcountry, soooo, I guess you are responding to me as well? I don't know about BKKorupcounty's response, but I'll give you mine.

Your question is vague and it generalizes a deeper meaning, but that meaning is ambiguous.

Do you mean equal rights for the street dogs? Or perhaps equal rights for criminals? How about equal rights for flat out stupid people? Equal rights for 2000 human corpses piled up inside a temple? How about equal rights for Thaksin?

Honestly, I do not know from which viewpoint you are coming from, so this could respectfully be construed as a bait and hook. I like the corruption because it frees me from the anal retentive uselessness of politically corrupt countries such as the USA. I do not pander with thoughts of the oppressed when I pay the fine and move on.

Incidentally, do you pay the fine and move on, or do you do the right thing and drive yourself to the police station and sign up to see the judge to plead your case for driving illegally, as the ticket states? When on the receiving end of corruption, to you go along with it, or do you do what you do from some kind of unmentioned motivational belief?

Equal rights is well meant, for sure, but is too oft used as a trump card by irresponsible, lazy, cruel, stupid, ignorant people.

You haven't stepped on my toes but seem to have tripped over your own. The topic is about whether or not Thai Society can be freed from corruption, not how corruption serves your interests. You're very fortunate that you're not typical 5,000 B/mo family who needs the police to come and protect their rights and property. They know well enough to not even place the call. Glad its working out well for you though.

Edited by lannarebirth

You haven't stepped on my toes but seem to have tripped over your own. The topic is about whether or not Thai Society can be freed from corruption, not how corruption serves your interests. You're very fortunate that you're not typical 5,000 B/mo family who needs the police to come and protect their rights and property. They know well enough to not even place the call. Glad its working out well for you though.

I understand what the topic is about. You should have replaced this post with the other one to be more specific. My toes are fine and calibrated well, thank you. The phrase"be freed from corruption" makes corruption sound like some kind of disease one can pop a pill for and make it go away. It won't. And defining corruption is precarious at best. The best antonym I can find for corruption is growth. As far as having a low regard for people who make 5000 a month because they sit around all day staring at the TV, or going to work and doing as little as possible; well, yes! I do have a low regard for people like that; from any part of the world, because they do not grow, when the resources to do so are all around them, and not on the dam_n TV.

And what is "needs the police to come and protect their rights and property"? I don't understand that point. Actually I don't understand much of what you are saying. You describe the things around the things but don't make a point other than to pick on what someone else says.