Copy Dvds And Downloads To Ipad Without Itunes

sandgroper2

Depending on whether you use Windows or OSX.

For windows there is quite many choices: http://www.ilovefree...or-windows.html

Wondows, many thanks to you both,will check them out

cant find anything there to do with ipad.Also, when I use a trail programme I get ''not enough disc space'' , Ive got plenty of disc sp;ace on the ipad, anybody can help with that?

I have a solution but through Itunes

You can transfer in Itunes movies in MP4 format and read them with the yxplayer2 lite app

To convert my AVI files I use Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate.Normally this soft seems to do it from DVD.

You can look the description of this soft through Google or...Pirate Bay :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an iPad. I've had a 4th generation iPod touch and a MacBook Pro. I have been using VLC for many years to play audio and video files. There is an App for the iPad and iPhone/iPod touch called VLC Streamer. There's a free version that's okay, but the paid version that's $2 US will convert any video file on your main computer and stream it or convert it and download it onto the device. Looks and works pretty good... I'm loading several movies on my iPad for the airports and plane rides I have coming up...

Edited by Jimi007

For what it's worth here is what I do:

- Convert media from whatever format it's in to iPad HQ using the free Handbrake application. Handbrake has many choices for the "convert to", just choose "iPad" and you're good. It will do H.264 at a max. resolution of 720p, which looks pretty good, really, even on the 42" HD TV. Takes a while so best done overnight. It creates ".mv4" files per default but I just name them ".mp4" - that way my TV can play them as well.

- Drop media into iTunes while holding down the option key (alt on Windows, I think). This makes the movie appear in iTunes, but leaves it in its original location. E.g. no copying to the iTunes library. You know your're doing it right when you don't see the "+" while dragging the file over iTunes.

- Sync to iPad as needed

I have tried VLC for iPad but it's too buggy. No fun when it's crashing in the middle of a movie. I also suspect it uses way more battery than the built in movie player. VLC (on Mac) streaming and conversion options are too cryptic for me, never could figure it out. The few times I tried, it ended up doing something I didn't want it to do. Handbrake is much easier - just use the presets.

PS: Handbrake does DVDs too - it works, but it's not as simple as the dedicated DVD ripper programs out there. I haven't found a good DVD ripper that's free though.

Edited by nikster

For what it's worth here is what I do:

- Convert media from whatever format it's in to iPad HQ using the free Handbrake application. Handbrake has many choices for the "convert to", just choose "iPad" and you're good. It will do H.264 at a max. resolution of 720p, which looks pretty good, really, even on the 42" HD TV. Takes a while so best done overnight. It creates ".mv4" files per default but I just name them ".mp4" - that way my TV can play them as well.

- Drop media into iTunes while holding down the option key (alt on Windows, I think). This makes the movie appear in iTunes, but leaves it in its original location. E.g. no copying to the iTunes library. You know your're doing it right when you don't see the "+" while dragging the file over iTunes.

- Sync to iPad as needed

I have tried VLC for iPad but it's too buggy. No fun when it's crashing in the middle of a movie. I also suspect it uses way more battery than the built in movie player. VLC (on Mac) streaming and conversion options are too cryptic for me, never could figure it out. The few times I tried, it ended up doing something I didn't want it to do. Handbrake is much easier - just use the presets.

PS: Handbrake does DVDs too - it works, but it's not as simple as the dedicated DVD ripper programs out there. I haven't found a good DVD ripper that's free though.

Good tip. Thanks. There are some other presets you can import and use that I found, and used. See link: Optimized Handbreak presets I'll have to play with it a bit more to see what works the best, depending on the source.