Voting Is A Scary Prospect

Lite Beer

OPINION: VENUS' VISION

A scary prospect

By Veena Thoopkrajae

30159220-01.jpg

When I go into a polling station I get frightened

The Election Commission officials frighten me, the desks frighten me, the board displaying candidates frightens me; everything frightens me. I know that this election could be the end of our problems or the start of new ones. And as frightening as it may sound, the problem for each of us is totally different. The definition of everything for everyone is not the same. Certainly, victory for any side may not be sufficient to push the country forward in the near future.

So it is scary to exercise your voting right knowing that we view things so differently. Each political party offers us different things. The task lies with us to choose the most convincing; or even say no to all choices. The only goal we share is the best for the country.

You can blame me for being panicking or being too pestimistic but the election campaign hasn't given much hope. The parties offer us "big" words that leave a lot of question marks at the end.

The buzzword this time is "reconciliation". The word is bold but up to the very last day of the campaign, the meaning is still vague. Although Pheu Thai has used it from the beginning, we still find it hard to imagine the real picture. "Going beyond the conflict and solving problems rather than taking revenge", Yingluck Shinawatra has repeated like an answering machine, but still Pheu Thai only "tells" voters rather than "shows". Undoubtedly the message carries positive meaning but it looks ambiguous. On one hand, Yingluck says amnesty for her brother is not the priority of the party, but on the other hand Chalerm Yoobamrung says the party is ready for such a plan and that the draft is ready.

As for the Democrats, they know that reconciliation would be a blessing but leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has clearly stated their version of reconciliation is to give justice to all, and that their definition is the opposite of arch-rival Pheu Thai's. Abhisit questions if Pheu Thai's amnesty will be a blanket one that puts an end to the investigation of the 92 killed during the anti-government rally last year. In layman's language, the Democrats ask if all the victims of political violence died for nothing, for the sake of freeing one man - Yingluck's brother Thaksin.

And the more the Democrats elaborate on reconciliation details, the more we feel that one man's reconciliation could be another man's declaration of war. If two kids fight and hurt each other, we can punish them both and get them to reconcile, but Thailand's problems have gone far beyond a normal fight. There are victims, laws to uphold, winners and losers, and it is very complicated. With the two big parties expected to take 80 per cent or more of the House seats, Sanan Kajornprasart of Chart Pattana Puea Pandin has been promoting reconciliation months ahead of the election. A veteran, Sanan joins others in having a blurred picture of genuine reconciliation. Nevertheless, he has emerged as the man who can shout reconciliation without any monkey on his back. But despite his willingness, we doubt whether he has the ability required for this huge task.

As for Banharn Silpa-archa and his Chart Thai Pattana Party headed by his brother Chumphol, reconciliation would be bliss. The party has pitched itself as an alternative to the two big parties' fighting. That sounds promising if you forget the fact that, in the end, this middle-sized party will certainly join any coalition government. On past record and present trends, it is not hard to guess which direction the party will head in.

For Newin Chidchob's Bhum Jai Thai Party, things are less clear. Pheu Thai refuses to join hands with Bhum Jai Thai if they win the laegest number of seats in the House.

Perhaps the winner for the reconciliation attempt might be the one who has overlooked the question. Chuvit Kamolvisith, head of the Rak Prathet Thai Party, seems to be the only one who hasn't promised reconciliation. Not that Chuvit is any more special than the rest of the pack, but we have to admit that he doesn't carry the heavy baggage that Yingluck, Abhisit or other leading politicians do.

All the rhetoric about reconciliation may sound good, but it is ambiguous. And that is why I will walk into the polling station not knowing whether after the election results come out there will be any reconciliation or not. As the cliche goes, "only time will tell", and that sounds frightening enough as I cast my vote.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-02

Fingers crossed all goes well for Thai and the fears of Civil War are just that, just fears.

Then again, taking sides against an objective "middle path" is just the thing for rousing the fears and anger of those with too little, and the greed and controlling nature of those with too much.

Now's the time when a little good will could go a long way.

Taksin had his chance, years ago, to unite the country and lead it into the 21st century, and blew it - huge - criminally so... It's sad to say "we" are resigned to "'Hopefully' the next "leader" won't..." But with little more to work with than Sides Taking, and frustration and inequity in the balance, only one that truly cares about Thai and its people will be able to lead them away from a future of regrets...

Chahk Dee!