Yingluck Announces Five-Party Coalition

webfact

When did Thaksin not allow elections in the past?

2006. When he failed to get a mandate in the April elections, and under constitutional law should have been arranging new ones, the resurrected self appointed caretaker PM was clinging on for all he could and swanning off to the UN. I realise all the newbie reds think that Thai history began with the coup in 2006, but the reality was the current divisions began in late 2005.

In fact he did arrange a new general election, they were scheduled just about 4 weeks after the coup if memory serves me right. Of course the military didn't have the guts to let it come to that..

K. Thaksin indeed had more elections when in office than really necessary. After the end of the January 2006 mishap with stake sold, no tax payed, he thought a snap election might gain him enough votes to squelch voices of discontent. Didn't really work out and while in a step-down, come back, go aside caretaker PM role trying to dismantle a few checks and balances rather than taking care of the country, the military stepped in, much to the relief of at least a larger part of the population.

BTW the disadvantage of the internet age is that anyone can write down what he/she wants to write down. No need for a sanity check. On the other hand trying to re-write history is no longer the main domain of the winning party. We do remember you know ;)

When did Thaksin not allow elections in the past?

2006. When he failed to get a mandate in the April elections, and under constitutional law should have been arranging new ones, the resurrected self appointed caretaker PM was clinging on for all he could and swanning off to the UN. I realise all the newbie reds think that Thai history began with the coup in 2006, but the reality was the current divisions began in late 2005.

In fact he did arrange a new general election, they were scheduled just about 4 weeks after the coup if memory serves me right. Of course the military didn't have the guts to let it come to that..

K. Thaksin indeed had more elections when in office than really necessary. After the end of the January 2006 mishap with stake sold, no tax payed, he thought a snap election might gain him enough votes to squelch voices of discontent. Didn't really work out and while in a step-down, come back, go aside caretaker PM role trying to dismantle a few checks and balances rather than taking care of the country, the military stepped in, much to the relief of at least a larger part of the population.

BTW the disadvantage of the internet age is that anyone can write down what he/she wants to write down. No need for a sanity check. On the other hand trying to re-write history is no longer the main domain of the winning party. We do remember you know ;)

Well not sure what to make of your post, I surely hope you are not accusing me of rewriting history, as i did in fact made a correct claim that general elections were scheduled at the 15th of october 2006, which of course never occurred due to the coup.

Well not sure what to make of your post, I surely hope you are not accusing me of rewriting history, as i did in fact made a correct claim that general elections were scheduled at the 15th of october 2006, which of course never occurred due to the coup.

Sjakie, mostly I was reacting on the 'military didn't have the guts'. That part was really subjective, I think.

PS remember, don't polish your 'wondersloffen'

@rubl, haha, and true that part was indeed quite subjective, allthough not far fetched, I do believe that the coup was an utter fail, and that it would have been so much better if they would have taken on Thaksin in a legal way, surely he would have gotten a conviction eventually. Now they essentially given him a way to place doubts about his conviction, not to mention the whitewashing that the persons behind the coup did as well.

"the military stepped in, much to the relief of at least a larger part of the population."

That would be the larger part of the population that voted for Pheu Thai then? You just won't accept it will you. The coup was wrong,and led to the mess which hopefully Thailand is now starting to climb out from.

Ohh sigh...

The history repeats itself again. The never ending story is back again. After 10 years in this corrupt corner of the world, I'm so happy that I've finally made it back to my own home country. Left my Thai wife in Thailand, were she's really belong. Found a decent work and a nice flat. Also found a beautiful western woman from my own country, whom which I can enjoy intellectual stimulating conversations with. Maybe we will have kids one day. Why did I leave my great home country in the first place? Can't answer that one. I must have been temporary insane.

Anyway...

From my heart, I wish all you guys still over there best of luck with your lives and your living. Sad to see that there will never be any changes to this country, where a poor majority is easily manipulated by those greedy minds that is fully occupied on figuring out how to rob this country in the most pleasant way.

Take care guys,

//P

Edited by xenomorph

If you have won 265 out of 500 seats, why do you need to form a coalition?

Apparently (someone posted earlier), ministers can't vote in the house. So they really need an extra 20 seats or so (above a simple majority) to get their changes through.

I didn't realise that, thanks :)

It sounds like nonsense to me.

I think the reason for forming a coalition is to reduce the size of the opposition.

Edited by tropo

If you have won 265 out of 500 seats, why do you need to form a coalition?

Apparently (someone posted earlier), ministers can't vote in the house. So they really need an extra 20 seats or so (above a simple majority) to get their changes through.

I didn't realise that, thanks :)

It sounds like nonsense.

I think the reason for forming a coalition is to reduce the size of the opposition.

Call my cynical, but... The way I figure this, is that those guys want it back as it was during the TS regime. Apparently there has been too much law and order during Abhisit's rule not so good times to fill their pockets as in the good old times. I've seen too much greed where I stayed in Thailand to convince myself on otherwise.

Edited by xenomorph

Ohh sigh...

The history repeats itself again. The never ending story is back again. After 10 years in this corrupt corner of the world, I'm so happy that I've finally made it back to my own home country. Left my Thai wife in Thailand, were she's really belong. Found a decent work and a nice flat. Also found a beautiful western woman from my own country, whom which I can enjoy intellectual stimulating conversations with. Maybe we will have kids one day. Why did I leave my great home country in the first place? Can't answer that one. I must have been temporary insane.

Anyway...

From my heart, I wish all you guys still over there best of luck with your lives and your living. Sad to see that there will never be any changes to this country, where a poor majority is easily manipulated by those greedy minds that is fully occupied on figuring out how to rob this country in the most pleasant way.

Take care guys,

//P

I'm with you bro... You have to ask yourself why PT got in power and I think your post hits the nail. Basically middle class, educated Thais can never win an election against the uneducated country masses. Maybe what happened last year on the streets of Bangkok is what your average Thai wants?

While I am here: Its amazing Thailand where a person who has no experience of politics, who has had all her top end jobs handed to her by her big brother, and who in effect has never had to prove her self or show that she has the metal to succeed gets to run the country! I am sure the stage management will falter at some point and we will see some cracks appear. The irony is that the super rich will be leading the party that represents the poor and grass roots of society! The old money has been replaced by the new money and the poor will continue to remain poor and exploited.

Edited by MaiChai