Irony At The Reins As The Bandwagon Starts Rolling; Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

Irony at the reins as the bandwagon starts rolling

By The Nation

Thailand has come full circle, with one of its richest clans back in power via a claim to be speaking for the poor

Prime minister-to-be Yingluck Shinawatra started her first couple of days at work by meeting with coalition partners, small parties whose main purpose is to provide political protection and comfort to her Pheu Thai Party which, in spite of winning more than 50 per cent of Parliamentary seats, does not feel as secure as one might think.

It would have been a strange way to reconcile the past, but the Matubhum Party of the 2006 coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratkalin was not in the line up. However, the fact that Sonthi said he would be part of the Pheu Thai-led government proves he has the kind of audacity often possessed by Thai politicians.

Speaking of gullibility, Chart Pattana Puea Pandin Party's chief strategist Sanan Kajornprasart said the Bhum Jai Thai Party of Newin Chidchob would understand why they had to be ditched. The two parties made a pact just weeks before the election, but it wasn't exactly holy matrimony. The so-called desire to serve the people was just too great, Sanan seems to be suggesting.

But that's life in Thailand's smaller parties. You go where the circus goes. And thanks to the billboards of animals all over the country - monkeys, lizards, buffaloes - this recent election came very close to looking like a circus.

It's tempting to romanticise the outcome of the poll as a victory for the poor, the downtrodden struggling for social justice. But look just a little deeper, and the romantic viewpoint is shattered.

Sadly, the outcome reflected a nation deeply divided along geographical lines. The North and Northeast went to Pheu Thai while the South went to the Democrats. We arrived at the polling booths with a lot of anger, and it will take some time to subside.

Some have tried to paint the event as a class conflict, but there are poor people on all sides. One can also argue that there is no real ideological basis among the pro- and anti-Thaksin movements. Leftists and rightists from the political stage of yesteryear were in both camps.

Thailand is entering a phase of reconciliation, so they said. The chief manager for this daunting task is - get this - Chalerm Yoobamrung. Wouldn't it be great if he could bring his boys along?

Chalerm's appointment was not the only irony in this election. Thailand's biggest sugar daddy Chuwit Kamolvisit - who admitted to paying millions of baht each month in police bribes but decided to enter politics after he fell out with the then police chief - got elected on an anticorruption ticket.

Meanwhile, hailing from one of the richest clans in the country, winner Yingluck claimed to be speaking for Thailand's poor.

Interestingly, no one seems to see the glaring contradiction - that the leadership of the red-shirt movement, the main backer of the Pheu Thai Party, is made up of millionaires and elites, the very people the movement supposedly despised.

But with Yingluck in power, one can say that Thailand has more or less come full circle. It started with Thaksin and his Thai Rak Thai Party in 2001. At the time, the country gave him a red-carpet welcome, overlooking the fact that the man had transferred billions into his maid's bank account to avoid paying taxes.

One could say that we lost our chance of being a country of law and order back then, and whatever came after - the 2006 coup, the street battles, the arson attacks - was a consequence of that missed opportunity.

In spite of the fact that his populist policies were unsustainable, and that his administration favoured the business sector just as much as any administration, Thaksin succeeded in projecting himself as a champion of the poor.

His greed got him into trouble and his quest for absolute power put him on a collision course with the establishment and the military. A coup was launched in 2006, but those who ousted him were not able to uproot the seeds he had planted.

Ten years later, it's his sister's turn. Some say this is all about getting Thaksin's money back, as well as an amnesty for him and the red-shirt leaders who burned down one of Bangkok's fanciest shopping malls.

But let's hope this next administration is about much more than just one man and one wealthy family.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-06

Plenipotentiary extraordinaire (sans passport) assures all is well in the best of all possible worlds and there will be conjuring at the wedding feast of Conmen

These sordid sqaubbles by chinese money lenders seems to have subsumed the Sanghkya in sansara

Love it, love it, love it!!

I was SO looking forward to see this kind of wallowing by The Nation, and they truly don't disappoint! :lol:

Drink up, alllll the way downnnnn.. :thumbsup:

somehow your member name starts to make sense, IMHO

I don't understand why the Nation has a problem if wealthy successful people show empathy and concern with the poor. Is concern for the poor some sort of character fault? Is it possible that some of the wealthy people are feeling a bit uncomfortable with this display of compassion and understanding? :lol: . Perhaps if the PM designate was running a string of massage parlors and pimping out young women she would have earned the Nation's respect?

Ten years later, it's his sister's turn. Some say this is all about getting Thaksin's money back, as well as an amnesty for him and the red-shirt leaders who burned down one of Bangkok's fanciest shopping malls.

Wow, TheNation must have access to some top-secret information that nobody else has. The Abhisit government hasn't been able in over 1 year to get any of the red shirt leaders convicted of burning down anything, yet TheNation says the red shirt leaders (not even their followers, but the leaders themselves) are the ones who burned down CentralWorld.

Edited by themockrat

Wow, TheNation must have access to some top-secret information that nobody else has. The Abhisit government hasn't been able in over 1 year to get any of the red shirt leaders convicted of burning down anything, yet TheNation says the red shirt leaders (not even their followers, but the leaders themselves) are the ones who burned down CentralWorld.

Expect the defamation suits to start.

Setting aside the usual 'Nation is biased' comments, this analysis really isn't far off the truth, and if this was the first thing you ever read about Thai politics you wouldn't have been misled, certainly you would get the impression this country is a complete basket case.

"Interestingly, no one seems to see the glaring contradiction - that the leadership of the red-shirt movement, the main backer of the Pheu Thai Party, is made up of millionaires and elites, the very people the movement supposedly despised"

I see it, I see it, very clever! How could one figure this out? Besides the "Big Man" there are only 2 people with more cash than Mr. T and they won on a "For the Poor" platform which was swallowed hook line and stinker. Certainly not a boring place to live as long as you can keep your name off "The List"! Lube up boys it looks like it may be a bumpy ride.wink.gif

Edited by FOODLOVER

Good. I hope they win and they are awarded damages that bankrupt the Nation.

Yay for Red Democracy.

Yay for typing an article without thinking (TheNation, I mean, not you).

Edited by themockrat

Yay for Red Democracy.

Yay for typing an article without thinking (TheNation, I mean, not you).

Yes. You're quite right. They should be shut down for that, shouldn't they. :ph34r:

Edited by whybother

I don't understand why the Nation has a problem if wealthy successful people show empathy and concern with the poor. Is concern for the poor some sort of character fault? Is it possible that some of the wealthy people are feeling a bit uncomfortable with this display of compassion and understanding? :lol: . Perhaps if the PM designate was running a string of massage parlors and pimping out young women she would have earned the Nation's respect?

I don't think the Nation has a problem with wealthy successful people having empathy for the poor.

The irony of it is a lot of these wealthy successful people made it on the backs of the poor people and when and if the money trail backing the red shirt terrorist uprising last year is found a lot of it will have come from these successful people.:jap:

"I don't understand why the Nation has a problem if wealthy successful people show empathy and concern with the poor. "

They don't.

But the Nation does have an issue if it is obviously faked to get and keep power.

Apparently you do not see this, and prefer to gloat.

But lets not talk of character flaws, that would violate forum rules.

Regardless of your personal opinion, the Irony is much larger

than any positive gains for the poor that will come from this.

Ah yes, the Classic Thaksin Response to Freedom Of Speech.

Lets get those jack boots in lock step against all who disagree.

It's the peoples will to stifle commentary that doesn't agree with the bosses plans.

Just as it was before.

It's the peoples will to stifle commentary that doesn't agree with the bosses plans.

Just as it was before.

The Thaksin haters on here must be really spitting feathers................

Whatever happens, and I am no longer optimistic about Thailand, the next few years are going to be very interesting and possibly painful.

Meanwhile the seemingly anti Thaksin die hard's ( but probably just anti and grumpy die hard's........)

will dribble and insult endlessly on Thai Visa.

The Thai version of George Carlin's American Dream should be obvious to all. The Dems have had chances to implement education policies that will serve them well in the future but they never did, so the other obvious point is they continue to have far too many members who want continuation of the status quo. They should also fire their PR/marketing group who seem to have no idea about how to conduct an election.

The Thai version of George Carlin's American Dream should be obvious to all. The Dems have had chances to implement education policies that will serve them well in the future but they never did, so the other obvious point is they continue to have far too many members who want continuation of the status quo. They should also fire their PR/marketing group who seem to have no idea about how to conduct an election.

The Dems did implement their Free Education policy.

Let's hope this government do more to improve education than all the governments over the last 10 years.

The Dems did implement their Free Education policy.

Let's hope this government do more to improve education than all the governments over the last 10 years.

The free education for 12 years was a step in the right direction but much more needs to be done such as students allowed the option of thinking for themselves but imagine the shock horrors that would ensue when teachers lose face. The newly elected government had their chances to improve the education system in the past but failed to do so & I think Mr T may have been education minister at one stage.

How do you reconcile Thaksin's love for the poor with his insistence (and other members of the clan) of not paying taxes that would end up financing programs to support the poor of the nation?

Least we forget, the assets recovered from him in his attempt to evade taxes were 46 billion baht, how many programs to help the poor can you create with that money?

The free education for 12 years was a step in the right direction but much more needs to be done such as students allowed the option of thinking for themselves but imagine the shock horrors that would ensue when teachers lose face. The newly elected government had their chances to improve the education system in the past but failed to do so & I think Mr T may have been education minister at one stage.

Yes. Mr T was education minister. Not much changed then. Not much has changed since.

I agree with you that students need to be taught and encouraged to ask questions. Until then, they won't learn.

[/q

The real truth is right there for all to see.... The Democrats, did not want to win this election, why do you think they did not try... something is brewing..and a lot of passengers are on this Kamikaze Kruang Bin... I nearly fell off my chair laughing... thank God I am a Farang and I can leave whenever I feel the need.... and I will be joining that A380 with a passenger list of rich Thais....heading for sanctuary....with suitcases of moneys... Hello Los Angeles...Goodbye Hell.................

While those with behind the scenes power and the chattering classes come to terms with what has happened, there are going to be lots of bizarre closure things being said and happening. Oddly enough Abhisit seems to be one of the few who has seen what has happened. His refusal to stand against Yingluck for PM choice signals this, while all kinds of non-parliamentary dudes try to make cases of why the person the people want as PM shouldnt be, the one who could start all kinds of conspiracy games just by saying he will run against her choses not to. Parliament at least looks normal in terms of what is expected in a demcoracy after an election even if there are those who think they can dictate to the party that won an election what it can and cannot do.

Just as it was before.

On the contrary, it is you that is espousing a contempt for the principles of civil society. If the Nation has committed a civil offense, then surely it is up to the civil courts to judge the matter and decide on the penalty should their be a judgement against the Nation? Are you of the position that an unsubstantiated allegation can be made without any legal consequences? The Nation has made a serious accusation. let it offer proof to back up its claim(s). The most appropriate place to settle a serious civil dispute is in a civil court. That's what the courts are there for.

I suggest you heed the words of your defeated leader former PM Abhisit who states, "Pheu Thai has achieved a simple majority, which is a clear mandate," He also stated that

he wanted fellow Democrats to reflect on the poll defeat in a bid to try to chart a new course. In plain english that means that the old strategy of spreading hateful uncorroborated statements is wrong and that if the Democrats want to advance they need to try something else. How about instead of repeating the old stories and listing all the grievances that you have, that you consider something more constructive?

I am looking foward to the PTP term. I hope to be able to provide whatever support I can to help the PTP advance the lives of the Thai people. Personally, I think the best move is to deal with troublemakers, fifth columnists and instigators through legal means. If falsehoods are uttered, people must be held accountable.

Edited by geriatrickid

I'm no fan of Thailand's out of control defamation laws, far from it, but it still beats locking people up in jail for speaking their minds, doesn't it.

Hopefully this will be a new dawn for Thailand's dissidents and political prisoners.

The real truth is right there for all to see.... The Democrats, did not want to win this election, why do you think they did not try... something is brewing..and a lot of passengers are on this Kamikaze Kruang Bin... I nearly fell off my chair laughing... thank God I am a Farang and I can leave whenever I feel the need.... and I will be joining that A380 with a passenger list of rich Thais....heading for sanctuary....with suitcases of moneys... Hello Los Angeles...Goodbye Hell.................

You know I too had that feeling in the back of my head but could not pinpoint exactly why they did not want to win. The possibility of civil war, the passing of someone high up, ever rising food prices (rice is & will continue to be artificially high due to price guarantees to appease the farmers who would get more than enough money for their produce if you took out the middlemen & allowed farmers co-ops to run the mills). These are just some of the potential scenarios the new government will have to face as they are already showing their hand. The classic I saw which seems to have been overlooked was the setting up of a sovereign fund (similar to Tamasek) to buy interest in gold, diamonds, oil in Africa.