Bike Transport To Chiang Mai

Traveling with the family to CM for holiday and want my Big Bike, not so big actually (CBR 250), to ride a few days while we are there.

Thought about taking the train but their website says limit of 125cc for motorcycles.

Does anyone know any other options for my bike to roundtrip from KK to CM ? Other than the obvious of course :)

Perhaps someone out there has done something similar before ?

All advise is welcome and appreciated.

Its been well documented that bigger bikes can go by train.

Plain as day English and Thai that 125cc limit on the train website. Perhaps a special shipping needs to be done over 125cc instead of riding in cargo car. .. Good to hear it has been done before. I will send the wife to confirm at the train station.

Thanks for the feedbacl

All bad solutions. Here is the best one. I live in Phit'lok. Pay my bus fare and gas and I'll ride it up for you! Then, I'll ride it back. Not a joke, by the way. When are we going?

Nice try TongueTied ! ! ! I think the quick depreciation on my brand new bike by someone other than me would not justify it :) Also the fact that I prefer to break it in myself :)

Seriously though, I am thinkng of riding it back via Non Khai .. I think it's the 211 road along the Mekong ? More research needed but I hear good reports of that run.

I could never understand why so called motorcyclist want to ship there bikes there ? KK to CM is a wonderful ride throught the National Park. I do it monthly. A nice days ride

Well Jeffrey , as you have misjudged me a "so called" cyclist, I must enlighten you that family always comes first. As stated in my original post, this is a family holiday, that just may work out for me to enjoy a little riding as well. Please reflect on your judgement of others motivations a bit before casting undeserving stones.

Not that I really feel a need to justify myself to a strange® but I will anyway .....I have been riding motorcycles since I was 10 years old. (52 now) ---- Over a million miles on two wheels in my life. 35 countries toured on two wheels, a stack of Ironbutts (if you know what that is), along with a few years superbike racing on top of it. Find another person to vent on as you have barked up the wrong tree this time and pissed me off. If this is indicative of your little forum then it's the last time I look at it. GT has been much more intereting.

I could never understand why so called motorcyclist want to ship there bikes there ? KK to CM is a wonderful ride throught the National Park. I do it monthly. A nice days ride

Well Jeffrey , as you have misjudged me a "so called" cyclist, I must enlighten you that family always comes first. As stated in my original post, this is a family holiday, that just may work out for me to enjoy a little riding as well. Please reflect on your judgement of others motivations a bit before casting undeserving stones.

Not that I really feel a need to justify myself to a strange® but I will anyway .....I have been riding motorcycles since I was 10 years old. (52 now) ---- Over a million miles on two wheels in my life. 35 countries toured on two wheels, a stack of Ironbutts (if you know what that is), along with a few years superbike racing on top of it. Find another person to vent on as you have barked up the wrong tree this time and pissed me off. If this is indicative of your little forum then it's the last time I look at it. GT has been much more intereting.

yep, bikes are to be used, but hard to bring family and dog, so compromises needed

I usually bring bike, family and dog anywhere and anytime in LOS

post-81971-0-30205800-1310211214_thumb.j

Scuba.. he's just pulling ya chain.. happens a fair bit here... but the info is still good.

And a right fair job he did of it too. Jeez .. that sure irked me and mad at myself for letting it.

I do appreciate the info and it will serve me well.

Cheers all,

Scubadude

Edited by Scubadude770

Hi Scubba,

I have put my Ninja 250 on the train, to numerous destinations within Thailand. You should have (0) issues.

FYI : Bring your own tie downs.

jap.gif

Good suggestion about the ties downs. Perhaps a cover also.

I need to find some good quality tie downs though I have not seen any locally. Any ideas where to start looking ?

I probably should have suggested a cover, as my bike has usually been very dirty as they ride with the door open is my only guess. Tie downs, you can get no name tie downs at any large big c or tesco, keep in mind that the tie downs no brand names i came accross had no weight indicated on them. I have had no problems to date, however i do suggest you watch them load and unload your bike to see that nothing happens (better to be safe than sorry).

Hi Scubba,

I have put my Ninja 250 on the train, to numerous destinations within Thailand. You should have (0) issues.

FYI : Bring your own tie downs.

jap.gif

Good suggestion about the ties downs. Perhaps a cover also.

I need to find some good quality tie downs though I have not seen any locally. Any ideas where to start looking ?

BigC, I almost added carrefour, but they have become BigC too :)

use them for 400 kg cruiser and 200kg ninja in pickup at very high speeds, no issues at all