Thai Food-No Thank You

DavidARoss

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true I eat everyting. I love offal and there's no shortage of it in Thailand. It's very common in England and all over europe. Americans and most brits generally stay away from it and will never eat fresh blood or weird organs and glands, which are the most nutritious and best eat in an animal, let alone the most delicious. Lots of delicious Thai food though contains just plain old meat and the usual Thai seasonings.

It's true I eat everyting. I love offal and there's no shortage of it in Thailand. It's very common in England and all over europe. Americans and most brits generally stay away from it and will never eat fresh blood or weird organs and glands, which are the most nutritious and best eat in an animal, let alone the most delicious. Lots of delicious Thai food though contains just plain old meat and the usual Thai seasonings.

Offal, I expect from "off fall," when they cut away the bad stuff and gave it to the dogs until hard times came and they had to eat it themselves so they took out a letter and made it into one word so it didn't sound so bad.

Or, maybe it is French for awful?

This thread amazes me. It also amazes me how popular the threads seeking to determine the best restaurant serving this or that western food are on this forum. I went to one the recommendations on the Chiang Mai forum the other day, only because a Thai friend really wanted to and it was horrendous. There must be so many farangs living in Thailand feeling so out of their element in this country. Let's go to Thailand and eat pasta and burgers. You need help.

Thailand has fantastic food pretty much everywhere. It's true not all eateries are good, but that's what making local friends is all about. They can tell you where is good and where is bad, because they've already been through all the trial and error in their area. I suspect farangs are naturally attracted to places that only have at least a sign and menu in English. This is probably where things go wrong. You can expect bland food here, it's targeting those with a craving for the Bland and the Uninspired. I live in Chiang Mai, it's full of culinary gems at every nook an cranny. They don't look clean sometimes (though I've never been sick in Thailand), the quality of service and ambience varies and they have no menus in English or English speaking staff, but they house some of the best food on the planet. If you want to know more, just ask. Otherwise enjoy your pasta and beans on toast or whatever. Consider learning to read Thai (it takes about a week) and not being so stuck on western ways. If you are too attached to your farang identity and all that encompasses, you will always always struggle and have something to บ่น about. Why are you here?

No thank you.

Oh Lordy.

We've got another one.

This thread amazes me. It also amazes me how popular the threads seeking to determine the best restaurant serving this or that western food are on this forum. I went to one the recommendations on the Chiang Mai forum the other day, only because a Thai friend really wanted to and it was horrendous. There must be so many farangs living in Thailand feeling so out of their element in this country. Let's go to Thailand and eat pasta and burgers. You need help.

Thailand has fantastic food pretty much everywhere. It's true not all eateries are good, but that's what making local friends is all about. They can tell you where is good and where is bad, because they've already been through all the trial and error in their area. I suspect farangs are naturally attracted to places that only have at least a sign and menu in English. This is probably where things go wrong. You can expect bland food here, it's targeting those with a craving for the Bland and the Uninspired. I live in Chiang Mai, it's full of culinary gems at every nook an cranny. They don't look clean sometimes (though I've never been sick in Thailand), the quality of service and ambience varies and they have no menus in English or English speaking staff, but they house some of the best food on the planet. If you want to know more, just ask. Otherwise enjoy your pasta and beans on toast or whatever. Consider learning to read Thai (it takes about a week) and not being so stuck on western ways. If you are too attached to your farang identity and all that encompasses, you will always always struggle and have something to บ่น about. Why are you here?

No thank you.

Oh Lordy.

We've got another one.

There will be more.

Alimentary, my dear Rakers. Organ meats (which is an oxymoron) are an aphrodisiac and eaters of such breed profusely. We live in a land where chicken feet and tripe cost more than chicken breasts....it affects the brains ability to reason...

Yeppers

That would explain why some speak so much tripe.

I must admit, I once had the testicles to eat some brains, but it gave me the trotters!

Yet in the west they eat yummy things like Snails, frog legs, four gras ;) that scottish thingy, pigs feet, spam and more. Was getting hungry thinking about what to have for lunch. This thread has made me long for pineapple.

Yeppers

That would explain why some speak so much tripe.

I must admit, I once had the testicles to eat some brains, but it gave me the trotters!

Yet in the west they eat yummy things like Snails, frog legs, four gras ;) that scottish thingy, pigs feet, spam and more. Was getting hungry thinking about what to have for lunch. This thread has made me long for pineapple.

I understand gras, the international standard which stands for: Generally Recognized As Safe.

What is four gras? :whistling:

The OP is either a Troll or just has the misfortune of being posted in a country which many foreigners (like him) adore. Lucky for him he can have his fill at any McDonalds, Svensens, Pizza Hut and other highly processed food outlet in Thailand. These Western Food factories surely cannot compare to the local cuisine. Our sympathies for your hardship post.

"Hi, Is there anyone here in Thailand who also doesn't like Thai food? I've been here 5 years now and have eaten about as much Thai food as you can put in the palm of your hand. I think it's too spicy bland,and it tastes horrible. Even buying bbq chicken at the local market sets me running to the nearest toilet. I've been living in North-East Thailand,have never been to Thailand's south so all I know is Issan food. I do all my shopping at Tesco,or Macro and even there they have little Falang food especially the new Macro in Nong Khai. When they first opened they seemed to have a lot but now after 5 months most of the Falang food is gone. Even Tesco fails to restock when a product runs out so now if there is something new that I might like I'll buy at least 6 months of it. Is there anyone else having the same problem as me? Thanks. "

I'm with you. Everytime I see the family sitting on the floor using their ( unwashed ) hands in the common food dishes I'm glad my wife makes me a seperate meal, though I did have to stop her using an old piece of tree to cut up my food on ( I bought her a very nice plastic cutting board that she used in Pattaya- just went back to village ways at home ).

Actually, bacteria can live longer on plastic cutting boards than wooden boards.

source for this information please?

I heard the same thing many years ago. For some reason wood repels/kills bacteria whereas plastic is fine - until it is scratched or cut. Then, plastic stores the bacteria.

I was watching an Australian tv show on health-related issues (this show once dumped a huge pile of brown stuff on the ground ans said it represented the amount a feces a average person produces in his or her lifetime), and they tested different kinds of chopping boards for sanitation. The wood board was by far the board with the fewest number of bacteria colonies on it after use. I admit I was surprised, but results are results.

He meant Foie gras.. He clearly does not know what it is

I have no reason to make that conclusion. Maybe he was on the BTS and typed it in on a curve...

But I don't know what a "Scottish Thingy" is?

Maybe I don't want to, though.

Well, I guess I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum than the OP. One big reason I stayed here was /is the food is so delicious.

I don't understand though where the OP says "bland and spicy", how can something be spicy and bland? Seems contradictory. Does he mean it's so spicy that he tastes nothing else?

O.K. gotta go, off to get a Tom Yum Talay (emphasis on YUM!).

I find this whole thread astonishing, not that there are people who don't like Thai food, but that there are so many of them. One wonders why on earth you live here.

You should try (as you obviously haven't, except IJWT) going out with Thais who really know something about food. Good Thai food is not overloaded with chilis, as they deaden the taste of good, fresh food. Thai food is as good as most types of Chinese food, Cantonese being the outstanding exception. References to Chinese food without mentioning which type usually mean the people concerned have only eaten Westernised Chinese food, or foreign constructs like Chop Suey.

I'm really surprised that there's not more posters saying the same as above .... I thought the OP was a Troll post 'till I saw how many people think the same way.

But thinking about it .... when I lived in the UK I ate a lot of Indian food (like most Brits) and also travelled quite a distance to find good Thai restaurants .... so perhaps I was pre-conditioned. I love most (but not all) Thai food and tend to eat Thai food most days. Not all Thai food is spicy .... try a Pomello Salad with shrimp (Sam-O?) or some of the coconut milk soups, or the less spicy masaman red curry's, then move on to the green curry with chicken. Or how about mango with sticky rice and coconut milk ('Mat-muan gab khao neo') .... that's sweet and really nice.

Hmmm ..... feeling hungry now. I can hear a geng kieow ghai calling!

"Try everything at least one except incest and country dancing"

I like Indian food. I like Chinese food. I like Japanesee food. I like Vietnamese food. I have no great love for Thai food. Different people like different things. ;)

I enjoy Indian food as much as the next man, but I am not looking forward to my trip to Mumbai

SC

Or how about mango with sticky rice and coconut milk ('Mat-muan gab khao neo')

./.

I can hear a geng kieow ghai calling!

I know these as Khao Niao Mamuang and Gaeng Kio Wan Gai ?

Do you like sweet green curry?

I noticed 3 dishes are good testers of the cook's abilities:

- Khao pad: simple, but many can't manage to make it yummy

- Pad Thai: many different styles, but it is tricky to achieve a well-balanced taste

- Gaeng Kio Wan: the fact that it is only slightly spicy lets you taste how many spices were used

I love offal and there's no shortage of it in Thailand. Americans and most brits generally stay away from it and will never eat fresh blood or weird organs and glands, which are the most nutritious and best eat in an animal, let alone the most delicious.

Lots of Americans and Brits eat sausages and hamburgers.

What do you think these are made from?

Might they be made from the penis, the testicles, the stomach linings, the miscellaneous bits of flesh which are removed from the carcass by high pressure water hoses?

....just maybe you have not located and tried enough dishes....must admit there are many foods which I steer clear of which means my southern Thai wife has to cook me something different when she has "bum burner" meal for her family...

...there are quite a few Farang or southern European similar Thai dishes but hard to find I guess..( garlic pepper prawns... similar to Portuguese/Spanish cooking)

..... saw huge frozen turkeys in Tesco the other week..christ knows who the target market is??? Would have bought one but won't fit in toaster oven..lol

...I now find meat and potatoes meals "like mother used to make" somewhat boring without some herbs and spicing..

....eat what you like when you like mate....ain't no rules...

The OP is either a Troll or just has the misfortune of being posted in a country which many foreigners (like him) adore. Lucky for him he can have his fill at any McDonalds, Svensens, Pizza Hut and other highly processed food outlet in Thailand. These Western Food factories surely cannot compare to the local cuisine. Our sympathies for your hardship post.

"Hi, Is there anyone here in Thailand who also doesn't like Thai food? I've been here 5 years now and have eaten about as much Thai food as you can put in the palm of your hand. I think it's too spicy bland,and it tastes horrible. Even buying bbq chicken at the local market sets me running to the nearest toilet. I've been living in North-East Thailand,have never been to Thailand's south so all I know is Issan food. I do all my shopping at Tesco,or Macro and even there they have little Falang food especially the new Macro in Nong Khai. When they first opened they seemed to have a lot but now after 5 months most of the Falang food is gone. Even Tesco fails to restock when a product runs out so now if there is something new that I might like I'll buy at least 6 months of it. Is there anyone else having the same problem as me? Thanks. "

No not lucky for me as I don't eat at McDonalds,Svensons,Pizza Hut, or other highly processed outlets and I've never eaten at these places in my own country also. Thanks