Thai Food-No Thank You

DavidARoss

The problem with much of Thai food is that its essentially tasteless in its ingredients,therefore neding lots of additives in the shape of MSG and chillies!

If it is cooked with the best ingredients Royal Thai food can be delicious,but this is rarely found these days.

Has anyone tried Hormok talay or Hormok pla chon? One of the great dishes of the world but so difficult to find these days as so much preparation involved.

Does anyone here remember "Once upon a time restaurant" in Bangkok?

Wonderful Thai food and great Hormok!!!

Thees days most Thai food is equivqlent to Western fast food ....tasteless (MSG ugh!)and junk food

The ingredients are tasteless? I really don't understand how you can say that. For good, fresh ingredients, you do not need lots of chilis and MSG.

Yes, hormok is a great dish if it's well-prepared (but not from the market!).

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90% of Thai food is disgusting, especially that cafeteria-style mush mass-produced, and I won't touch it -- nor will my girlfriend. 10% is delicious and I eat it every day. But yes, the cuisine is highly overated. Japanese, Chinese and much closer to home, Vietnamese is far superior (in their home countries).

I took a cooking course here and make my own curries and all else from scratch. What I don't cook, my girlfriend does. In a week, 70% Thai and 30% western. She even loves Marmite and cheddar sandwiches! Weird chick!

But as was the case in the States, I can cook what I eat--usually, but not always--better than what you can get at a restaurant. I once went with a friend to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, reputed to be the best steak in the U.S. It came ala carte, $35 (my friend paid or I would never had done it) and it was pathetic. No flavor, not particularly tender; three inches thick of bland beef. Baked potato on the side: $5!

I used to buy a cheap rib-eye and dry it out in the fridge a few days, grill it and, presto, a delicious $3 steak.

The chemicals they use here sometimes to dry cure--I wouldn't touch it. The smell of ammonia on seafood is barf-inducing.

Ruth Chris for $35 ... really? Maybe in 1995 or maybe you were really at Sizzlers but too drunk to remember.

Thanks, IB, I do regard myself as fairly flexible with food- Asia'll do that to you if you stay long enough.

One more thing about those really good Thai restaurants- they're typically NOT the kind of places that go for luxury- mostly open air, fan-cooled, fluorescent-lighted. They're also surprisingly affordable, usually- they make their money on volume, not high margins. Yet you can find even the wealthiest local Thais stopping in pretty often, or sending someone to order for them.

I'll put up one example, even one that's rather convenient for the tourist- the barbequed/grilled duck place (ok, it's more Chinese than Thai) at ground level just next to Times Square building (past the Sheraton) at Asok has been there for donkey's years- some older Thai friends of mine remember eating there as children- and it's still cheap, good, and popular as all-get-out.

Oh, and I'll stick up a hand for Filipino food, too (and I *have* known Filipino restaurants outside that country!).... in many ways, the issues are similar for 'average' Filipino and 'average' Thai food in terms of inexperienced, indifferent cooks. However, the better restaurants dish out some incredible chicken, fish, and pork. I'm a big fan of the Lapu-Lapu myself (barbequed baby grouper in sweet and sour sauce).

I find this whole thread astonishing, not that there are people who don't like Thai food, but that there are so many of them. One wonders why on earth you live here.

You should try (as you obviously haven't, except IJWT) going out with Thais who really know something about food. Good Thai food is not overloaded with chilis, as they deaden the taste of good, fresh food. Thai food is as good as most types of Chinese food, Cantonese being the outstanding exception. References to Chinese food without mentioning which type usually mean the people concerned have only eaten Westernised Thai food, or foreign constructs like Chop Suey.

why has what my taste buds like got anything to do with were i live ,

i enjoy food i love to eat out ,its my favourite pastime nothing beats goining for a meal that you cant wont or dont have the ability to cook at home !

since you seem to have the insider knowledge on what is good about Thai food fill us in rather than leaving us out of the loop

where do we go to find this awesome Thai food (the only dish i can eat is a orange curry with prawns and like a herb ommlette on top but id prefer a club sandwich anyday

i have eaten in every place that has been reccomended to me and i will try anything once

so fire us some names /places /dishes that we should try

I'm sorry if English is your second language, but it's difficult to read your post without punctuation. I almost replied with:

npdr

No punctuation, Didn't read.

On the topic of Thai food, I love it but could see how it's not appealing to some.

Also, there is a distinction between your backpacker fare (fried rice, banana pancakes, pad Thai) and genuine Thai food.

90% of Thai food is disgusting, especially that cafeteria-style mush mass-produced, and I won't touch it -- nor will my girlfriend. 10% is delicious and I eat it every day. But yes, the cuisine is highly overated. Japanese, Chinese and much closer to home, Vietnamese is far superior (in their home countries).

I took a cooking course here and make my own curries and all else from scratch. What I don't cook, my girlfriend does. In a week, 70% Thai and 30% western. She even loves Marmite and cheddar sandwiches! Weird chick!

But as was the case in the States, I can cook what I eat--usually, but not always--better than what you can get at a restaurant. I once went with a friend to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, reputed to be the best steak in the U.S. It came ala carte, $35 (my friend paid or I would never had done it) and it was pathetic. No flavor, not particularly tender; three inches thick of bland beef. Baked potato on the side: $5!

I used to buy a cheap rib-eye and dry it out in the fridge a few days, grill it and, presto, a delicious $3 steak.

The chemicals they use here sometimes to dry cure--I wouldn't touch it. The smell of ammonia on seafood is barf-inducing.

Ruth Chris for $35 ... really? Maybe in 1995 or maybe you were really at Sizzlers but too drunk to remember.

Uhm, ala carte, the ala carte that came just before the $35, means just the steak was $35. The bill was over $130 for the two of us.

2008 as a matter of fact.

Thanks, IB, I do regard myself as fairly flexible with food- Asia'll do that to you if you stay long enough.

I'll put up one example, even one that's rather convenient for the tourist- the barbequed/grilled duck place (ok, it's more Chinese than Thai) at ground level just next to Times Square building (past the Sheraton) at Asok has been there for donkey's years- some older Thai friends of mine remember eating there as children- and it's still cheap, good, and popular as all-get-out.

I first ate there more than 30 years ago and many times since, the business cards stuck around the walls looked old even then. Watch grandma pounding the chilli paste and herbs in the window, great place but I'm always wondering when it will fall prey to the property developers and another little piece of Sukhumvit history vanishes. :(

I find this whole thread astonishing, not that there are people who don't like Thai food, but that there are so many of them. One wonders why on earth you live here.

You should try (as you obviously haven't, except IJWT) going out with Thais who really know something about food. Good Thai food is not overloaded with chilis, as they deaden the taste of good, fresh food. Thai food is as good as most types of Chinese food, Cantonese being the outstanding exception. References to Chinese food without mentioning which type usually mean the people concerned have only eaten Westernised Thai food, or foreign constructs like Chop Suey.

i enjoy food i love to eat out ,its my favourite pastime nothing beats goining for a meal that you cant wont or dont have the ability to cook at home !

since you seem to have the insider knowledge on what is good about Thai food fill us in rather than leaving us out of the loop

where do we go to find this awesome Thai food (the only dish i can eat is a orange curry with prawns and like a herb ommlette on top but id prefer a club sandwich anyday

i have eaten in every place that has been reccomended to me and i will try anything once

I'm sorry if English is your second language, but it's difficult to read your post without punctuation. I almost replied with:

npdr

On the topic of Thai food, I love it but could see how it's not appealing to some.

Also, there is a distinction between your backpacker fare (fried rice, banana pancakes, pad Thai) and genuine Thai food.

Am i allowed to start a reply with but.......

But i dont care !!!!

You did read it so your point is kind of wasted well done ........Are you a English teacher, well done for that too .

English isnt my first Language correct but i dont puncuate in my native one either i just cant be bothered ,thank you for bringing it up ,do you want to talk about my stickey out ears now .

Uhm, ala carte, the ala carte that came just before the $35, means just the steak was $35. The bill was over $130 for the two of us.

2008 as a matter of fact.

As I expected it has been a few years for you. I don't know what cut you went for or at which location but the ribeye and/or New York strip goes for about $60 today in Jerry Brown land aka California. But your multiplier is about right, i.e., two can escape after a full meal for roughly $200.

npdr

Am i allowed to start a reply with but.......

But i dont care !!!!

You did read it so your point is kind of wasted well done ........Are you a English teacher, well done for that too .

English isnt my first Language correct but i dont puncuate in my native one either i just cant be bothered ,thank you for bringing it up ,do you want to talk about my stickey out ears now .

Stickey out ears? Never eaten it.

I love Thai food and also don't have a problem with street food or small noodle shops, love it.

You're right about Filipino food though, not only worst in Asia but amongst the worst in the world ;) Here in the Middle East we have a large Filipino community so plenty of Filipino places around, cheap as anything and this is mainly cause it's usually consumed by the Filipinos themselves (and no one else!) whereas Thai food has quite a lot of international acclaim so most Thai food here and back in England tends to be '5 star restuarant' type stuff or more expensive :(

Thai food is going down big time.

10 years ago a restaurant would not dream of serving a curry without at least 12 fresh spices in it, now you'd be lucky to have 5...

Thai people have become salarymen and it's regarded as not cool to cook for oneself when you have a 'proper job' ...

the result is that as long as the slob has the 3 magic ingredients ; ie sugar chili and plonchot (ubiquitous msg) it sells...No one can make the difference with the original recipe any more, so what does it matter ?

The only way out is to go and seek professional advice and take cooking classes, get to know your ingredients, learn how to buy them, discover the treasures of Thai markets, and cook real nutritious food the way you like it.

We are in the richest country in the world in term of variety of fresh products, it would be a shame to let that be spoiled by industrialism ....

Don't like spicey food? Stay away from the South then. :lol:

Really? I have always beenof the impression that the south parts of the country cooks the blandest food there is inThailand. I do a fair bit of scuba diving, and the closer I get to Malaysia theduller the food gets. Similarly, the farther north i travel, the spicier thefood tends to get.

But I may be completely wrong.

I was watching an English language educational program on TV last week on PBS. The guest was a famous but controversial Thai chef. He was telling the two young hosts how Thai food is being prepared very badly now and how foreigners can now make better Thai food in many cases. When the host asked 'so are Thais not good at cooking?' I was amazed to hear him answer, in an exasperated tone, 'Thais are not good at anything!'. He's obviously been outside Thailand too long. :D

10 years ago a restaurant would not dream of serving a curry without at least 12 fresh spices in it, now you'd be lucky to have 5...

Thai people have become salarymen and it's regarded as not cool to cook for oneself when you have a 'proper job' ...

the result is that as long as the slob has the 3 magic ingredients ; ie sugar chili and plonchot (ubiquitous msg) it sells...No one can make the difference with the original recipe any more, so what does it matter ?

The only way out is to go and seek professional advice and take cooking classes, get to know your ingredients, learn how to buy them, discover the treasures of Thai markets, and cook real nutritious food the way you like it.

We are in the richest country in the world in term of variety of fresh products, it would be a shame to let that be spoiled by industrialism ....

What a great post, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. When I first moved here nearly 10 years ago, friends and I would comment about how great it was to get fresh, delicious food by walking 500m in any direction in Bangkok (one of these friends was a former chef and had run his own restaurant previously, so he knew good food when he saw it). The overall quality of ingredients at restaurants and even street vendors was just so much better. Seriously, it was hard to have a bad meal in those days.

So many restaurants now, in an effort to keep prices low I guess, buy absolute garbage when they shop for ingredients. Rice that tastes like cardboard, meat and seafood that is barely edible, and the absolute cheapest veggies available. The use of that horribly bland white pepper powder instead of fresh green peppercorns. Street vendor food has dropped even further in my opinion. You now have to 'hunt' for good Thai food, or make it at home. On my soi, there are around 10 restaurants, of which 8 are complete crap.

Still love the 'real' Thai food, but it sure is harder to come by these days.

I noticed this too, although with particular restaurants that become popular. One of my favorites was Som Tam Nua in Siam center. As it became more popular, the quality went down hill and the basics began to suffer. I still go there but still miss the first few months it was open. Som tam Thai and pee gai todd - perfect with a tall beer.

This topic should have a poll...

Thai food, I love it........

So what? Many do.

The OP needs to move on.

Why? Is there some visa issue here? Can't find that one in the requirements.

If he has been in the north east for 5 years and hates Thai food then it's time to leave.

Ah, no, it's merely time to eat something else. Duh!

I cook a variety of healthy, safe food at home, none of which happens to be Thai. I've lived here many years, am reasonably happy, and have no intention whatsoever of leaving. Food's no problem. Deal with it.

As I wrote in another thread about Kiss restaurant in Pattaya:

I haven't eaten out in a long while, though, except for the Hilton buffet recently (excellent). A lot of Thai food is too salty, oily, sweet, hot, or overcooked. Half or more of it is just empty calories--sugar and white rice. Of course it tastes good, but it is not a particularly healthy cuisine, as reflected in the stats for diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease among Thais.
I know the Thaier-than-thou crowd are now gnashing their teeth. But facts are facts.

So it's really healthier to cook at home if you want to follow a healthy diet, as I certainly do. I haven't been sick in years, my numbers are great (no meds needed), and my weight is ideal. I want to keep things that way as long as possible.

Get this: you can live anywhere and eat whatever you dam_n well please. Thais do. Japanese do. Chinese do. Now, I ate a lot of Japanese food in Japan. There's a reason for those Japanese longevity stats. I got used to it and mostly liked it.

OP, no need to be intimidated by the typical arrogant presumption and loudmouthing here in the forum. I'm not in the least. It's YOUR stomach and YOUR health. It's also YOUR wallet, though many here will assert that it's also their wallet.

This thread made me chuckle, especially the references to curry. If someone has grown accustomed to Indian curries which can be heavy, then I can see why they might not like Thai curry. My father is one of those people that likes his real Indian curry, often with a beer. I consider inedible and better suited to the days of the colonial Raj, to which he replies I am an idiot, and know nothing. :lol: I despise curries except Thai red or yellow curries which I find are light and ideal for the oppressive heat and humidity. It's all about finding a Thai chef/cook that can provide the delights of Thai cuisine modified slightly for a western palate. I've been lucky in Phuket as the options are limitless. So many different styles, Issan, Central and Southern. My friend from the south fortunately is not a big fan of spicey so I have been able to enjoy southern cuisine without need of a visit to the toilet. One of my other friends despite having lived away from issan for over a decade still drags me along to his special Issan shops when he is homesick and how I loathe the food he orders. Little bits of unamed chicken bits which are fried so hard I can't tell whenether it is skin or claw or beak. What I love best are the Thai fish dishes, so many options and so easy to eat lightly. People in the coastal regions are spoiled because of the variety. What I can do without is the heavy use of salt and cheap reused palm oil. I don't understand why even in the better quality restaurants the chefs do not appreciate the use of peanut or olive oil. Anyway, I do like Thai food and am most annoyed when my friends will select the oddest of western dishes when we go out. I had to keep from laughing at one lady that ordered cream of mushroom soup and garlic bread. It was a change for her, but something so dull for me: a canned soup.

The problem with much of Thai food is that its essentially tasteless in its ingredients,therefore neding lots of additives in the shape of MSG and chillies!

If it is cooked with the best ingredients Royal Thai food can be delicious,but this is rarely found these days.

Has anyone tried Hormok talay or Hormok pla chon? One of the great dishes of the world but so difficult to find these days as so much preparation involved.

Thees days most Thai food is equivqlent to Western fast food ....tasteless (MSG ugh!)and junk food

The ingredients are tasteless? I really don't understand how you can say that. For good, fresh ingredients, you do not need lots of chilis and MSG.

No the ingredients are really tasteless in comparison with Europe.The vegetables are bland and pale! You cant compare tomatoes,carrots,cauliflower,potatoes all of which are used in Thai cooking with European counterparts. Nor meat or poultry.

Ok Thai fruit is very good but what else?

The raw food needs exotic sauces and spices, but as another poster pointed out the quality has generally dropped in the last 10 years.

Delicious? Not really anymore! However a good Gaeng Phet ped yaang is aroi maak if cooked inthe old fashioned careful Thai way!!

What a great post, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. When I first moved here nearly 10 years ago, friends and I would comment about how great it was to get fresh, delicious food by walking 500m in any direction in Bangkok (one of these friends was a former chef and had run his own restaurant previously, so he knew good food when he saw it). The overall quality of ingredients at restaurants and even street vendors was just so much better. Seriously, it was hard to have a bad meal in those days.

So many restaurants now, in an effort to keep prices low I guess, buy absolute garbage when they shop for ingredients. Rice that tastes like cardboard, meat and seafood that is barely edible, and the absolute cheapest veggies available. The use of that horribly bland white pepper powder instead of fresh green peppercorns. Street vendor food has dropped even further in my opinion. You now have to 'hunt' for good Thai food, or make it at home. On my soi, there are around 10 restaurants, of which 8 are complete crap.

Still love the 'real' Thai food, but it sure is harder to come by these days.

It is true that, since financial markets have moved from banks to food, prices of raw products like eggs, veggies, oil, rice, etc have increased, and it is certainly hard on the poorest people. Nevertheless the poor today eat way better than middle class, they go to the market and get fruits and veg, as opposed to office workers who get their dinner to go from greasy street vendors or Fast food chains

I think it is more of a cultural problem, Thailand is enjoying a really good economical growth around 5 to 7%, and it is mainly the middle class people working in offices that pride themselves not to be able to cook a boiled egg, they are the one who should be able to afford quality food if they wanted to, but they rather go to american (Mc Do, Pizza hut, sizzlers...) outlets or so called Japanese restaurants (where rice is thai and tofu chinese) for a "night out' or just take food from a street vendor because it's 'below' them as new 'cool urban people' to cook.

As a result they loose their palate, they don't recognise the products (even the people who sell veg in the market don't know the different names of all their veggies), let alone how to prepare them.

The new generation has no clue about what goes in their mouth and it is its way of proving, they have reach such social status, they don't need to know what's a string bean, it's for poor people to know.

They flaunt their ignorance as a social thing, if they can afford to live on take out, that means they have a more important career, and cooking is for housewives or grandmothers who never had a job or skill.

Out of 30 people in my ex-office, only one was aware that Msg had side effects ... considering they gobble the stuff in all dishes and even with fresh fruits as a "dip", it is scary.

None of them knew what was a spring onion (!!) I mean they recognize it, but could give me its name in Thai !

My friend Noi the street vendor sells veggies of which names she's not even sure of.

None of my colleagues has ever put together even a papaya salad.

And the list goes on and on ...

I certainly don't want to compare 2 very different countries but go to any fresh market in France and you get plenty of cooking tips with each ingredients... Here it is almost always like the trainee who just started today is answering you, they never seem to have a clue about what they sell, except the old folks.

I mean as a food amateur, it is so frustrating to never have answers to questions here, witness this rich patrimonial heritage going down the drain, and no one seems to give a dam_n ... IMO It is because Thai people are losing interest in their own gastronomy that quality is going down.

I think it is a Thai thing, Japan who has also a very sophisticated gastronomy, never sacrificed the quality of their food in the name of so-called modernism, when they enjoyed economic growth.

No the ingredients are really tasteless in comparison with Europe.The vegetables are bland and pale! You cant compare tomatoes,carrots,cauliflower,potatoes all of which are used in Thai cooking with European counterparts. Nor meat or poultry.

The raw food needs exotic sauces and spices, but as another poster pointed out the quality has generally dropped in the last 10 years.

Delicious? Not really anymore! However a good Gaeng Phet ped yaang is aroi maak if cooked inthe old fashioned careful Thai way!!

lol this precious ! Carrots Cauli tomatoes and Spuds !!! Where do you think you are sweetheart ? Kent ? Rainy England or Scotland ?

Come on this is a serious forum, if you want to talk about Thai veggies please discuss indigenous ones otherwise it's just nonsense ...

Or is this one of this moaning pattern, like you'd also moan about how bad rambuttan papayas and mangoes tastes in your local Sainsbury's in UK ?

I am starting to find it isn't spicy enough. But I am use to it being from New Mexico where we have our own brand of hot and spicy. I do take a digestive aid on occasion when I eat to much fried food. My friend who lives in bangkok asked me if I wanted some farange food, I asked him why I am in Thailand lets have thai.

Forget Indian I donot know what spice they use but I eat that stuff for a week.

lol this precious ! Carrots Cauli tomatoes and Spuds !!! Where do you think you are sweetheart ? Kent ? Rainy England or Scotland ?

Come on this is a serious forum, if you want to talk about Thai veggies please discuss indigenous ones otherwise it's just nonsense ...

Or is this one of this moaning pattern, like you'd also moan about how bad rambuttan papayas and mangoes tastes in your local Sainsbury's in UK ?

And there was me thinking that the above veggies were used as am essential in Thai stirfries and various curries , especially Southern style. What an error to make after 25 years of living here!!

I thought we were not referring to fruit which you quoted above and I had already acknowledge as being delicious!

So which Thai indigenous Thai veggies should we be referring to which I cant get at good old Sainsburys? Ive obviously missed the best indigenous stuff and my taste buds are suffering accordingly!

Please enlighten me ..............

Thai food Bland!?!?Wow, well man I feel for ya. I love the hell out of Thai food, and I couldn't imagine staying here as long as you have if I couldn't eat the stuff.Best thing I can advise is get the heck out of Whatdaphukaburi Issan and come down to Bangkok or Pattaya where you can get your fill of decent (in many cases excellent) well priced western food.PSThey don't have a KFC or Pizza Company up there?

Indiginous ? Many of the ingredients of famous Thai foods were brought here by world traveling traders. Most notable, Chilis are from Central or South America as are papaya, pineapple, tomato, potato. All now adopted and thought "indigenous". Not important really.... I love the best of the local foods in each region, especially the Gaeng som hoey from the south and even like the roadside stalls where the food sits in the big pots where you can see and smell before selecting.

Edited by daoyai

I'm retired and didn't come here to change the way I have eaten for 65 years. I like this country but it doesn't mean that I have to like their food.

:thumbsup: dam_n right as well sir.

Do Thais fly half way around the world to eat western food? of course they don't. You eat what YOU like and what YOUR used to.

Actually, in my experience, they do.

I travel extensively with Thais, and only twice have we ever eaten Thai food (once was at a friend's Thai restaurant in New York.) Steak is a high priority, but German schweinhaxen, French meals, Jordanian lamb, Italian pasta and veal, American burgers, steaks, bison, and BBQ, Brazilian rodizzios, South African antelope, Hong Kong dim sum, Japanese sukiyaki, New Zealand lamb...I can go on an on. Basically, we never eat Thai until returning to Thailand.

I think it's too spicy bland,and it tastes horrible.

I am not sure how something can be both too spicy as well as bland. Am I missing something?

For my taste, I have only had one Thai dish that was too spicy--a chicken dish I ate in Fang back in 1982. I do like food that can bite back. I eat Thai food for every lunch, and I also eat street food after some evening workouts.

In my home, though, i never cook Thai, unless you count a couple dishes which aren't traditional Thai but have Thai influences. I need a variety of food, and with all the other Thai food I eat, I take the opportunity to eat from the cuisines of other countries when I cook.

Thai food, I love it........ The OP needs to move on. If he has been in the north east for 5 years and hates Thai food then it's time to leave.

Yeah while we are at it lets tell the Chinese community in China Town London to "jog on" living there year in year out and only eating Chinese food, disgraceful. :rolleyes:

Thai food, I love it........ The OP needs to move on. If he has been in the north east for 5 years and hates Thai food then it's time to leave.

Yeah while we are at it lets tell the Chinese community in China Town London to "jog on" living there year in year out and only eating Chinese food, disgraceful. :rolleyes:

I believe they do get told to "jog on" by a few idiots a lot.

I seen it in London a few times. whistling.gif