Immunizations

Amarylillis

I am new to Chiang Mai and I was wondering where I could receive immunizations such as the Hepatitis series, typhoid, and Japanese encephalitis. I've been living in Eastern Europe and these shots were not accessible there. Also, will it be possible to see doctors and be treated at hospitals without international health insurance?

Yes and yes... If you plan on staying for a while get your immunizations. I went to McKormick hospital and the doc recommended I get the Hep A, Hep B, and Jap Enc. immunizations. I think it cost about 1200B per visit. I had to come make 3 visits over 6 months or so.

don't know where you lived in Eastern Europe..... I got my first shots there no problem..... just had to find the department of tropical medicine for some of them.

anyway.

first I went to Rajawet hospital for boosters but had to wait for ages, and turned out they didn't have HepA. then went to a clinic to get the rest. HepB is 600 baht and you need 3 shots over 6 months. I don't remember the prices of the others.

don't know where you lived in Eastern Europe..... I got my first shots there no problem..... just had to find the department of tropical medicine for some of them.

anyway.

first I went to Rajawet hospital for boosters but had to wait for ages, and turned out they didn't have HepA. then went to a clinic to get the rest. HepB is 600 baht and you need 3 shots over 6 months. I don't remember the prices of the others.

It was very easy to get any or all of the immunizations in Prague.

anyway.

Great all you need to do now is get a flight to Prague... and all will be taken care of.

What hospital in Prague?

Oh I forgot, the OP is in Chiang Mai.

Good luck.

I was in Macedonia for four years. Thanks for the suggestions!

anyway.

Thanks so much for the info!

Yes and yes... If you plan on staying for a while get your immunizations. I went to McKormick hospital and the doc recommended I get the Hep A, Hep B, and Jap Enc. immunizations. I think it cost about 1200B per visit. I had to come make 3 visits over 6 months or so.

combined Hep A and B vaccine is Twinrix cost about 1000-1300 Baht depends where you get, you need three shots at first, a month later and six month after the first one.

Japanese encephalitis is two shot 3 months apart, cost about 600-800B.

Typhoid is a single dose very inexpensive.

If you will be in town expose to many soi dogs then pre exposure rabies shots should be considered.

An estimated 180 million people worldwide are infected with hepatitis C through blood to blood contact. No vaccine against hepatitis C is currently available. However, there is now a new three drug cocktail that cures it in most people. Lots of info out there and here is one article about US drugs but India and others have some too. http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/28/fda-committee-recommends-2nd-new-hepatitis-c-drug-for-approval/