Full House

thaipod

I've been in Thailand for a few years now and am about to sell my house and now looking around walking from room to room realising that I will need a ten wheel truck to move or a removal company .It's amazing what you have collected and purchased over the years to keep you in the comfort zone .

When I first came here I came with two suitcases and you end up buying something for the house you think is needed every time you walk into a shopping centre or supermarket .

If I ever move back home god knows what it will cost to ship it all .

Last time I moved about 7 years ago it took 2 6 wheeled trucks.

Next time I move it will be at least 3 times that. Amazing how quickly it accumulates. I need a much bigger closet. My wife's shoe collection alone will require several pallets.

Last year i moved from a furnished 2 story house in to a bungalow. The bungalow was brand new and i had no storage. It was a nightmare at first. No understair storage for a start. Now i have to shove everything i don't need into the loft.

I think this has nothing to do with where we are, it is more about where we plan or planed to settle down. I lived in Thailand until 2002 and when I moved back to the Los Angeles Area all I had was a wooden crate ( 1 cbm / 300 kgs) with some personal stuff. Met my wife, got married, had our son, bought a house ....you know the rest. When we moved back to Thailand in 2008

I had full 20' Container plus did we leave some stuff behind in our house. Today, nearly 3 1/2 years later, all our rooms are full with stuff and recently I realized we have some many duplicate or triplicate items.....I know that a Garage Sale is inevitable, but then .......no one knows about a Garage Sale in Bangkok. i guess, i will collect a few things and contribute those for merit making.

Edited by ralfbkk

• 3 weeks later...

I have been living like on the lam now since 2001 - and wouldnt want it any other way. Hotel rooms, or furnished apartments - can get up and leave when the need arises. One backpack and one duffel bag - and with the introduction of the Amazon Kindle, I nearly do not have to concern myself about what to do with any libraries I build up while I am stuck in a place for longer than a weekend.

If I do buy something extra, I tend to leave it in hotel storage - that way when I go to Dubai, Bangkok, Cairo, or the likes, I have fresh sets of clothes readily available when I check in. That, or leave things up for the hotel staff to do with what they please - the red cross is always also an option.

It is a liberating feeling. Or at least I think it would be if one still properly reflected over it. But every time I end up with more than what my backpack, duffel and or possibly samsonite carry on can carry I tend to get all antsy over it and feel tied down.

Last time I moved about 7 years ago it took 2 6 wheeled trucks.

Next time I move it will be at least 3 times that. Amazing how quickly it accumulates. I need a much bigger closet. My wife's shoe collection alone will require several pallets.

Related to I. Marcos? :rolleyes:

4 years now since I arrived with a backpack and a carry on. This month marks the move out of the studio apartment, I have 6 wheeler truck booked, 4 guys and probably 2 trips..... more amusing to me is that I personally hand carried all this in here, no wonder my back hurts... Oz