When You Marry A Thai Man

mike123ca

It seems the thread has gotten off topic fairly well. I thought we were discussing when a foriegn woman marries a thai man are the rules the same. Instead we have foreign women defending their position of marriage to a Thai man. No sin sot ,no money to family .

Is the culture of sin sot a poor persons culture I think not I personnally know Thai men who gave millions of baht for their sin sot.So for foreign women to come on here and make excuses it is hard to accept .. One family every sister got a new BMW, after paying millions in sinsot. it appears just because the family is rich isnot an excuse to not pay sinsot unless of course the woman is a foreigner.

So my conclusion here is foreign women donot get it no matter how rich of a family they marry into. Nor do they get help for the family.Seems about right yes.I read I weep.

Lovelomsak, you are getting confused.

The topic is NOT sin sot.

Please re read the original topic and you see that it is money ONCE they are married, not FOR getting married.

And yes the OP clearly asked foreign ladies to give their opinion, whether you like it or not.

My mistake I thought it was both sinsot and money after sorry. Oh and I do like the opinions of the women donot think I donot. Just stating that it appears not to be the same when it is Thai man and foreign woman as when it is the other way around. I also realise any good woman will defend her home family and husband. Which is admirable but reality is reality right.Do you honestly feel after reading what has been said they were treated the same as a Thai woman would have been? Jump on me all you want but am I wrong?

Edited by lovelomsak

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead we have foreign women defending their position of marriage to a Thai man. No sin sot ,no money to family .

it appears just because the family is rich isnot an excuse to not pay sinsot unless of course the woman is a foreigner.

So my conclusion here is foreign women donot get it no matter how rich of a family they marry into. Nor do they get help for the family.Seems about right yes.I read I weep.

seems we are not reading the same thread

did you not read the part where SBK gave the example that she received gold jewelry from her father in law, despite NOT having a formal wedding reception?

and the part where they as a couple received (from the thai guy's father): land to build their house, money for the construction of the house, and later some land for orchard.

these might not be termed officially as 'sinsot' - but they serve similar purpose. only variation is - it went direct to the couple, instead of the girl's family. there are instances where sinsot is given to girl's parents, who in turn then pass that sinsot on to the couple.

another female farang posted that she DID receive sinsod when she got married.

so how did you come to your above conclusion?

It seems the thread has gotten off topic fairly well. I thought we were discussing when a foriegn woman marries a thai man are the rules the same. Instead we have foreign women defending their position of marriage to a Thai man. No sin sot ,no money to family .

Is the culture of sin sot a poor persons culture I think not I personnally know Thai men who gave millions of baht for their sin sot.So for foreign women to come on here and make excuses it is hard to accept .. One family every sister got a new BMW, after paying millions in sinsot. it appears just because the family is rich isnot an excuse to not pay sinsot unless of course the woman is a foreigner.

Lovelomsak, you are getting confused.

The topic is NOT sin sot.

Please re read the original topic and you see that it is money ONCE they are married, not FOR getting married.

And yes the OP clearly asked foreign ladies to give their opinion, whether you like it or not.

My mistake I thought it was both sinsot and money after sorry. Oh and I do like the opinions of the women donot think I donot. Just stating that it appears not to be the same when it is Thai man and foreign woman as when it is the other way around. I also realise any good woman will defend her home family and husband. Which is admirable but reality is reality right.Do you honestly feel after reading what has been said they were treated the same as a Thai woman would have been? Jump on me all you want but am I wrong?

No problem, Loveomsak. :)

I honestly have not read all the answers here.

But I did read the OP ;)

Do you mean that an hypothetical situation of a (rich) Thai family, they would not give money to a Western (poor) bride for their son to marry her ?

aneliane

Don't make her angry/ upset. ;)

lol is that a threat or a piece of advice ? biggrin.gif

Advice. From experience. :whistling:

Thanks Semper

By the way, why when women have an argumentative conversation, men are quick to talk of cat fights ? ermm.gif

As if men never argue here ...

This is so chauvinistic.

And this is why I never bother to post about my life on this forum anymore. It seems to draw nothing but utter BS from some (where they find the things they say I have no idea but it has no relevance to anything I posted) or they get nasty. Sorry if I disappoint that I don't meet your preconceived notions of what my life should be. But really, personal attacks on me simply because you don't like what I have to say is quite rude.

any more snidey remarks about sbk or her life will result in enforced break from the forum. anyone doesn't like that take it up with support. dragging your personal chips & issues to this thread will not be tolerated.

I hope this is clear.

oh & no no sin sod for me either, no formal wedding no sinsod, was offered but as we haven't had the ceremony (yet) it has not been given. when & if we ever do then it will be presented as per my husbands family custom. I don't support his family either, he sends to his mum, that's his business & he wasn't rich when we met, some of you dinosaurs claiming all women marry for money have clearly never had a women fall in lust & then love with you (11 years this year & still going strong.)

Very sad for you :D

Enough is enough.

This thread has degenerated into a personal attack on one person. If you don’t have anything constructive to say without twisting facts or adding nastiness then don’t say it at all … or you will find your posting rights suspended. I hope I make myself perfectly clear.

//Admin

And this is why I never bother to post about my life on this forum anymore. It seems to draw nothing but utter BS from some (where they find the things they say I have no idea but it has no relevance to anything I posted) or they get nasty. Sorry if I disappoint that I don't meet your preconceived notions of what my life should be. But really, personal attacks on me simply because you don't like what I have to say is quite rude.

I like you and Boo and have the utmost respect for all your posts, comments! Hope I'm not being too forward! I like Jingthing (famous) Ulysses G, cardholder, too many to mention! x

Sorry, I have nothing to say about being married to a Thai man! But there are some really strange people who have to analyse relationships from a western perspective that they have absolutely no clue about!

Money = no need to ask your family for help = no issue = no need to answer the post (unless you like to boast), or just say it is not the same situation and it obviously cannot compare . Comprendo ?

I 100% agree with you. Reading multiple posts of foreign woman saying "no" or "no, we don't feel the same expectations of having to provide financial assistance to our Thai husband's family" are much more interesting than hearing their stories. rolleyes.gif

This post is a forum not a poll. It's for up for discussion. So let them discuss.

Some people on here just hate hearing that others (especially *gasp!* foreign women) are better off than them in LOS.cool.gif

Edited by regine

NO woman is going to marry any man of any nationality unless he has money. Certainly no woman would PAY a man!

News to you. Men have to pay because women aren't "into it" like men. Heard the expression "No money no honey"?

I've had a few girlfriends that were into more than me !...and always paid half.

Edited by KRS1

There are some holiday destinations in Africa which are very famous for white females. And there the women date exactly the men you describe, without "Men who are in dead-end jobs with no future prospects". Male prostitute has good future prospects.

I know some stories which are exactly the same as the sex tourist stories from Thailand.

I'm sure you are right. But Bershire was talking about Farang women or Farang men in Thailand.

Thank you. And I was.

This is going to be a generalization, but if you think about it, you'll know it to be true in the vast majority of the cases. Simply put, farang women in Thailand have much higher standards for their mates than farang men. Cases in point:

Farang women generally would not date:

Men who cannot communicate fluently in her language

Men who have significantly less money

Men who are much less educated

Men who are much younger

Men who are of a much lower socio-economic class

Men who are in dead-end jobs with no future prospects

In most cases, farang men would date:

Thai women who cannot communicate fluently in his language

Thai women who have significantly less money

Thai women who are much less educated

Thai women who are much younger

Thai women who are of a much lower socio-economic class

Thai women who are in dead-end jobs with no future prospects

The drawback for farang women, of course, is that having "higher standards" means that the pool of eligible men in Thailand is really, really small. And these top-tier, multi-lingual, successful, attractive Thai guys are in high demand amongst the Thai female population as well. So farang women are competing against Thailand's best and brightest. And Thai girls have a home-field advantage. Tough going.

I am indeed OUT of your "most cases" and cannot tick ANY of these statements, and none of my mates ticks all these ....

There are always exceptions, of course, but surely you don't disagree. My point was merely that the reason money is generally not an issue with farang female/Thai male relationships is that the Thai part of that relationship seems to be much more compatible with the farang side, as opposed to the farang male/Thai female relationships. I'm sure you've heard the countless tales of Thai girls allegedly ripping off farang partners, the sin sod, the sick buffalo, the whole "walking ATM" business, and so on. I rarely see that with farang female/Thai male relationships and I know a few (albeit the sampling size is much smaller). Perhaps you have a better explanation as to why money is such a prevalent theme among farang male/Thai female relationships.

Perhaps you have a better explanation as to why money is such a prevalent theme among farang male/Thai female relationships.

Berkshire If I may I would like to hopefully help with the answer to your question above. I cannot speak for all men for even if God says we are all equal there is quite a lot of gray in the equal part.

I myself often thought of marrying a rural poor Thai woman. Sadly most of the women who persue me are far from that. My desire for that choice was a very WASP thing. I wanted to be the provider and caregiver to someone who had few chances in life. In short I wanted to creat a Cinderella.( I know I will get hammered by everyone for that choice of word.) I felt showing a woman the power of love and caring. that it would give her a strong emotional base to live happily. Removing all her fears that are associated with poverty and family life without means. I actually thought as a man I could die happy and with dignity that I had contributed in a positive way to a woman and family .

Also I am a strong believer in women donot marry down. So money is always relevant in relationships every where in the world.

Edited by lovelomsak

Wow this thread is embarrassing ! How the hell can people get away with posting such bigoted crap ?

It's simple if you want an educated, independantly wealthy woman or man that isn't after your money get a job and meet one. You aren't going to find one drinking in tha bars of Pattaya or Sukhumvit/ patpong all day with you. I suppose the problem is they are only interested in being with someone there own age and who isn't racist about their race/nationality, bitter and always drunk.

Edited by arthurwait

This is going to be a generalization, but if you think about it, you'll know it to be true in the vast majority of the cases. Simply put, farang women in Thailand have much higher standards for their mates than farang men. Cases in point:

Men who are much younger

The drawback for farang women, of course, is that having "higher standards" means that the pool of eligible men in Thailand is really, really small. And these top-tier, multi-lingual, successful, attractive Thai guys are in high demand amongst the Thai female population as well. So farang women are competing against Thailand's best and brightest. And Thai girls have a home-field advantage. Tough going.

I am indeed OUT of your "most cases" and cannot tick ANY of these statements, and none of my mates ticks all these ....

There are always exceptions, of course, but surely you don't disagree. My point was merely that the reason money is generally not an issue with farang female/Thai male relationships is that the Thai part of that relationship seems to be much more compatible with the farang side, as opposed to the farang male/Thai female relationships. I'm sure you've heard the countless tales of Thai girls allegedly ripping off farang partners, the sin sod, the sick buffalo, the whole "walking ATM" business, and so on. I rarely see that with farang female/Thai male relationships and I know a few (albeit the sampling size is much smaller). Perhaps you have a better explanation as to why money is such a prevalent theme among farang male/Thai female relationships.

Is it or is it among man - bar girl, mail order bride, girl from poor family marrying for money relationships ?

It's certainly not with the farangs married/ dating Thai women of their own age I know.

Men who are much younger

I can agree with most of this, not all but most.

Perhaps you have a better explanation as to why money is such a prevalent theme among farang male/Thai female relationships.

Berkshire If I may I would like to hopefully help with the answer to your question above. I cannot speak for all men for even if God says we are all equal there is quite a lot of gray in the equal part.

I myself often thought of marrying a rural poor Thai woman. Sadly most of the women who persue me are far from that. My desire for that choice was a very WASP thing. I wanted to be the provider and caregiver to someone who had few chances in life. In short I wanted to creat a Cinderella.( I know I will get hammered by everyone for that choice of word.) I felt showing a woman the power of love and caring. that it would give her a strong emotional base to live happily. Removing all her fears that are associated with poverty and family life without means. I actually thought as a man I could die happy and with dignity that I had contributed in a positive way to a woman and family .

Also I am a strong believer in women donot marry down. So money is always relevant in relationships every where in the world.

Actually, I think the Cinderella thing is what a lot of guys want. To take a girl out of poverty and give her the life she's always dreamed of. The thing is, I'm pretty sure that in the fairy tales, Cinderella loved her guy and didn't much care about the money/castle. That doesn't seem to be the case in most of these "cinderella wannabe" scenarios.

Men who are much younger

Hmmm, curious now what you don't agree with...

Men who are much younger

Is it or is it among man - bar girl, mail order bride, girl from poor family marrying for money relationships ?

It's certainly not with the farangs married/ dating Thai women of their own age I know.

Right, Sherlock, I get your drift. Whether or not this applies to you is irrelevant. I'm referring to the vast majority of relationships in Thailand involving farang male and Thai females. And it's not "racist" to talk about something that is pretty obvious, right in front of our eyes. I'm not really making a judgement call here. Rather, I'm just answering the question(s) posted on this thread as to why money plays a bigger role in farang male/Thai female relationships than Thai male/farang female relationships. I personally have no problem dating Thai women with much less money than me. No problem at all.

I would very much imagine that if a Western woman marries a poorer Thai male of questionable intention very similar requests may be made.

IMO: This topic is more related to demographics than it is the sexes...

I agree!

Men who are much younger

Hmmm, curious now what you don't agree with...

As you are talking dating, I would say you are wrong about "Men who are much younger".

The Cinderella complex was first described by Colette Dowling.

Colette Dowling attempts to define women as being motivated by an unconscious desire to be taken care of.

The complex is said to become more apparent as a person grows older.

I don't think this is a problem among Farang women in Thailand.

As many posters have pointed out, where you met your significant other probably has a lot to do with your marriage experience. Many guys (and some women) come to Thailand on vacation as sex tourists and then become sex-patriates. Getting married to a person who is a "pro" either full-time or part-time certainly increases your chances of getting a partner who is in it primarily for the money.

Hence so many sad tales of falongs who got tooken.

For any Thai/falong relationship to work, the falong has to understand Thai culture. I say this because I have been married to a wonderful Thai lady for over 36 years. We lived in Thailand for one year, Italy for 3 years, and have lived in the USA for the remaining 32+ years.

When we got married in Thailand, her father gave me one of his most valuable possessions, a very old and rare Buddha. I then took his daughter away and it was over 20 years before my wife was able to return to Thailand. During that time frame she never sent a penny home, nor did I contribute any money to their family.

As my wife and I became more afluent (it took 20 years), she started sending a small amount of money home (less than 150 dollars a month) to help her mother and oldest sister (whose husband had left her with two small kids).

Her father has passed away, but my wife and I have returned to Thailand many times in the last 12 years to visit and stay with her family. On one trip I tried to give her brother (a senior police officer) the Buddha that her father had given to me. It was on a 2-baht gold chain. I offered him the Buddha and the chain and he refused both, saying that his father had given the Buddha to me and it should stay with me.

It took me a long time to truly understand the Thai cutlure in regards to helping family members, but the fact is that is that Thais generally help out their close relatiives as best they can. Even one of my SILs, who is a teacher, but doesn't have a lot of money, regularly gives money to a poorer sister who lives in Bangkok. It is just expected.

One nephew, who is kind of stingy, is thought poorly of by all the other family members because he doesn't help his mother out.

My in-laws never ask me for anything, but I have learned to help, just as a good Thai son-in-law should, my wive's family.

So for the people who have had bad experiences with their Thai significant others (male or female), I suggest you really observe and emulate the Thais, if you want to find peace and happiness in Thailand.

Respect to All,

RickThai

Men who are much younger

Mail Order Bride? I have never met one,or have ever heard of anyone who has met one,have you?

Lots of Countries Visa systems,and stipulations for Thai wives and Girl friend applying to go back to their Countries,need evidence of a relationship etc, which can take 2 years for them to be able to join their partner.and they must have met each other,.......Hardly instant Mail Order,is it ?

More like another Myth and figment of Media Hype,that sells Newspapers. (sorry for drifting off Topic)

As many posters have pointed out, where you met your significant other probably has a lot to do with your marriage experience. Many guys (and some women) come to Thailand on vacation as sex tourists and then become sex-patriates. Getting married to a person who is a "pro" either full-time or part-time certainly increases your chances of getting a partner who is in it primarily for the money.

Hence so many sad tales of falongs who got tooken.

For any Thai/falong relationship to work, the falong has to understand Thai culture. I say this because I have been married to a wonderful Thai lady for over 36 years. We lived in Thailand for one year, Italy for 3 years, and have lived in the USA for the remaining 32+ years.

When we got married in Thailand, her father gave me one of his most valuable possessions, a very old and rare Buddha. I then took his daughter away and it was over 20 years before my wife was able to return to Thailand. During that time frame she never sent a penny home, nor did I contribute any money to their family.

As my wife and I became more afluent (it took 20 years), she started sending a small amount of money home (less than 150 dollars a month) to help her mother and oldest sister (whose husband had left her with two small kids).

Her father has passed away, but my wife and I have returned to Thailand many times in the last 12 years to visit and stay with her family. On one trip I tried to give her brother (a senior police officer) the Buddha that her father had given to me. It was on a 2-baht gold chain. I offered him the Buddha and the chain and he refused both, saying that his father had given the Buddha to me and it should stay with me.

It took me a long time to truly understand the Thai cutlure in regards to helping family members, but the fact is that is that Thais generally help out their close relatiives as best they can. Even one of my SILs, who is a teacher, but doesn't have a lot of money, regularly gives money to a poorer sister who lives in Bangkok. It is just expected.

One nephew, who is kind of stingy, is thought poorly of by all the other family members because he doesn't help his mother out.

My in-laws never ask me for anything, but I have learned to help, just as a good Thai son-in-law should, my wive's family.

So for the people who have had bad experiences with their Thai significant others (male or female), I suggest you really observe and emulate the Thais, if you want to find peace and happiness in Thailand.

Respect to All,

RickThai

This is a man who has seen the light.

I feel so embarassed I donot how it happened but somehow I misunderstood the op all together and wish to apologise to TV readers for my opinions were way off topic. For some reason I thought the op was talking about the thai husband helping the farang wifes family. So my apologies to the readers for wasting their time with off topic posts.