Thai Red Shirts Warn Election Commission Of Backlash

webfact

Natthawut promises not to organise red-shirt rally to pressure EC

Natthawut Saikua, a red-shirt leader and Pheu Thai MP-elect, said Thursday that he will not organize a red-shirt demonstration to pressure the Election Commission to endorse election victory of red-shirt leaders.

"Red-shirt leaders have consulted about this and we agreed that we will not do such a thing," Natthawut said.

Late Wednesday night, Natthawut wrote on his Facebook page that the EC could be in serious trouble if it declined to endorse election victory of red-shirt leaders.

The EC has declined to endorse election victory of red-shirt leaders, who contested as Pheu Thai party-list candidates on ground that their membership was in question.

Natthawut said the red-shirt leaders were ready to defend themselves and prove that they had been properly registered as Pheu Thai members before contesting the election.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-14

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EC has declined to endorse election victory of red-shirt leaders, who contested as Pheu Thai party-list candidates on ground that their membership was in question.

Natthawut said the red-shirt leaders were ready to defend themselves and prove that they had been properly registered as Pheu Thai members before contesting the election.

I though the issue was whether or not the UDD leaders were in a legal position to register, or if Pheu Thai rules were bent a bit allowed them to register? That's a completely different issue that just 'we properly registered' :ermm:

"Red-shirt leaders have consulted about this and we agreed that we will not do such a thing," Natthawut said.

That's the problem isn't it? They needed to "consult" to decide not to pressure the EC.

That actually makes the original "warning" more of a threat to me, given that they decided not to do it now.

If you don't give me what I want I'll stamp my feet and scweam and scweam and scweam!

That's directed towards the Dems yes??

Title of this thread "Thai Red Shirts Warn Election Commission Of Backlash"

Gawd... isn't it obvious enough? :blink:

No it isn't "obvious" it is not them making the attempt to block the election results with a temper tantrum of childish and irrelevant charges being filed.. :blink:

I can only assume you haven't paid any attention to the number of complaints made by PTP and the rest :)

That's the problem isn't it? They needed to "consult" to decide not to pressure the EC.

That actually makes the original "warning" more of a threat to me, given that they decided not to do it now.

The very interesting part here is that lots of the UDD leaders are also Pheu Thai MP-elects-in-waiting. Rallying at the EC office would be stressing 'PTP = UDD' a bit at a time where it may be inappropriate and unwise to do so :ermm:

Only one question:

What you all going to do if civil war breaks out not just riots in Bankok, but civil war throughout the whole Kingdom, What are you all going to do as there seems to be a lot of posters that don't take this scenario serious. look around use your eyes use you ears, it is possible very possible. do you have a alternative arrangements already? How many are going to Volunteer for the front line?

Most posters here who are in Thailand will be prohibited from interfering in internal matters. Capital offence, I'm afraid. Those posters who are not in Thailand will be prohibited by their government to interfere.

Personally at 55 I'm a bit too old to join the Foreign Legion ;)

Never mind capital offence!! Old men bicker young men die, always has been let’s hope it won’t always be. I was being facetious by the way

I don’t think any on TV that are so politically arrogant, would even consider (as we say in old England) putting there money where there mouth is

55 well your just a boy, Cant fight for what you believe in? well well

Only one question:

What you all going to do if civil war breaks out not just riots in Bankok, but civil war throughout the whole Kingdom, What are you all going to do as there seems to be a lot of posters that don't take this scenario serious. look around use your eyes use you ears, it is possible very possible. do you have a alternative arrangements already? How many are going to Volunteer for the front line?

Most posters here who are in Thailand will be prohibited from interfering in internal matters. Capital offence, I'm afraid. Those posters who are not in Thailand will be prohibited by their government to interfere.

Personally at 55 I'm a bit too old to join the Foreign Legion ;)

Never mind capital offence!! Old men bicker young men die, always has been let’s hope it won’t always be. I was being facetious by the way

I don’t think any on TV that are so politically arrogant, would even consider (as we say in old England) putting there money where there mouth is

55 well your just a boy, Cant fight for what you believe in? well well

I don't think this here TV forum is either the place, nor is it the time to talk about violence and joining the fray. I could spin you some stories on my heroic past, but even if they were true who would care or believe me.

So old chap if you don't mind, let's stick to the topic of 'Thai red-shirts warn the EC of backlash'. Nice to read k. Natthawut in his position as UDD leader discussed it with co-leaders and decided not to do anything drastic ;)

Only one question:

In the hopefully unlikely event of a civil war is it likely that we would be allowed to remain here at all? I hardly think the immigration Department will go on functioning as normal if there is chaos on the streets and some kind of emergency rule has been invoked?

Only one question:

In the hopefully unlikely event of a civil war is it likely that we would be allowed to remain here at all? I hardly think the immigration Department will go on functioning as normal if there is chaos on the streets and some kind of emergency rule has been invoked?

Come to Jomtien

the only fighting here is for baht bus punters

Would the 'angry backlash' be done within or by breaking the law? What I don't understand is why they have to act like an unruly mob, rather than doing things within the law (eg protesting without being violent or commiting crimes). Thailand will remain a wild west if groups like the Red shirts are allowed to continue breaking the law, being violent, restricting peoples free movement, and not tolerating other peoples opinions.

Then a question of ethics: should persons with criminal convictions, not of good character, and having little respect for the law, be allowed to to MPs? In most other countries of the world they would be instantly disqualified. Its not a question of politics; just decent, civil behaviour.

Did we see Ghandi acting like the red shirts?

Would the 'angry backlash' be done within or by breaking the law? What I don't understand is why they have to act like an unruly mob, rather than doing things within the law (eg protesting without being violent or commiting crimes). Thailand will remain a wild west if groups like the Red shirts are allowed to continue breaking the law, being violent, restricting peoples free movement, and not tolerating other peoples opinions.

Then a question of ethics: should persons with criminal convictions, not of good character, and having little respect for the law, be allowed to to MPs? In most other countries of the world they would be instantly disqualified. Its not a question of politics; just decent, civil behaviour.

The irony of it is we saw a UDD leader with a Ghandi T-shirt last year on the Ratchaprasong stage, directly under the 'peaceful protesters, not terrorists' banner saying 'we fight on till the last drop of our blood' :ermm:

Gandhi like Mandela, were two Political exceptions, throughout the world and throughout History.

It may be a sad fact, that all modern peaceful democratic societies have got there by opposing the law in order to change it,

The oppressed throughout the world, yes your forefathers and mine never got equality through peaceful demonstration they had to, shall we say struggle for it.

Now we would not expect the uneducated jungle idiots to know anything about that would we? as they are all stupid! But we would expect the superior educated brains of society to be aware that that is how evolution in politics works and to be aware that sooner or later the majority get there way

Gandhi like Mandela, were two Political exceptions, throughout the world and throughout History.

It may be a sad fact, that all modern peaceful democratic societies have got there by opposing the law in order to change it,

The oppressed throughout the world, yes your forefathers and mine never got equality through peaceful demonstration they had to, shall we say struggle for it.

Now we would not expect the uneducated jungle idiots to know anything about that would we? as they are all stupid! But we would expect the superior educated brains of society to be aware that that is how evolution in politics works and to be aware that sooner or later the majority get there way

That might be ok IF the red shirts were the majority.

Ok I stand corrected though it should have never been an issue in the first place, still trivial and childish beyond all get out including the new topic review..

Fortunately / Unfortunately anyone can lodge a complaint. The EC is duty bound to investigate it. In this case they quickly dismissed it.

And went on to something equally childish and trivial.. But.................... TiT........... :rolleyes:

^Mob rule??? :cheesy: :cheesy: An election is basically mob rule in that it's a mob of people who vote in a candidate so in that context you're right it was mob rule... :cheesy:

I'm also having trouble understanding the angst towards the reds since they have elected the PM and are not going to stand by while she is trashed over these childish & trivial charges. Get a grip guys she/they won the election they aren't the ones trying to overturn the results with rubbish claims and complaints.. If that goes away so does all the other issues including the threats and reds themselves...

You know on second thought it's all academic this country will never change and I already have my solution for it..

Do a google on "Tyranny Of The Majority".

Is it not various persons and organisations including political parties who file and keep filing petitions to the EC to 'look into', 'check' or simply 'please dissolve this party'? This very day Pheu Thai filed a petition to have the Dem's and BJT dissolved. Do we see non-red-shirt protest, issue warnings, or guarantee problems ?

Oh <deleted>, no, they just do it covertly I seem to have a very vivid memory that you obviously lack that included several people being murdered and them taking over the only 2 major airports in Thailand and bring the country to an embarrassing International halt then it being swept under the carpet and that DID effect me personally and directly and we're still trying to dig out of it financially....

That incident wasn't swept under the carpet, on the contrary. Those people have been chrged both civilly and crininally. many have aleady had their court cases heard and sentences have been rendered. None seem to be seeking amnesty.

Is it not various persons and organisations including political parties who file and keep filing petitions to the EC to 'look into', 'check' or simply 'please dissolve this party'? This very day Pheu Thai filed a petition to have the Dem's and BJT dissolved. Do we see non-red-shirt protest, issue warnings, or guarantee problems ?

Oh <deleted>, no, they just do it covertly I seem to have a very vivid memory that you obviously lack that included several people being murdered and them taking over the only 2 major airports in Thailand and bring the country to an embarrassing International halt then it being swept under the carpet and that DID effect me personally and directly and we're still trying to dig out of it financially....

That incident wasn't swept under the carpet, on the contrary. Those people have been chrged both civilly and crininally. many have aleady had their court cases heard and sentences have been rendered. None seem to be seeking amnesty.

I already replied to this, it went something like this :cheesy: :cheesy:

Ignorance on parade. Clearly your problem is that you assume everyone else is as ignorant as yourself. Pick up a newspaper sometime.

This second time doesn't improve your first reply. When lots of people try to stay on topic and reply to the point, your comments seem a bit childish.

So back to OP 'Red-shirts warn EC of backlash', all in a democratic manner of course. And still as I wrote, people and organisations file and keep on filing petitions as within the law and regarding the recent election. Nothing to do with 2010, 2009, 2008, or even more ancient events. Just to the point 'possible irregularities in the recent election period'.

does democracy not mean the people's vote being accepted?

is this not a valid argument they have?

The peoples votes are accepted. That doesn't mean all illegal, partially legal, maybe legal, possibly legal machinations of political parties should be ignored. Heaven forbid if one of the political parties misled voters. Like Dem's saying ' we can do better', or Phue Thai 'Thaksin thinks, PT acts' <_<

does democracy not mean the people's vote being accepted?

is this not a valid argument they have?

That's part of what democracy means. Although if you thought that is all democracy is it would a pretty simplistic and wrong view. Here's a better thought out view of what democracy entails:

http://www.anandp.com/en_speech/e240608.pdf

I never said red, its inplanted in your brain, red red red I said the poor uneducated jungle idiot as some honorable folk like to refere to them. They are the majority, the reds are just at the fore at the fore at the fore, I always stutter when trying to explain the color red to a blind person. its impossible you know

ignorance on parade. Clearly your problem is that you assume everyone else is as ignorant as yourself. Pick up a newspaper sometime.

but find a real Newspaper not the childish rubbish quoted here by the so called Nation. Try to find a real paper or online news site

Edited by MrChangers

I never said red, its inplanted in your brain, red red red I said the poor uneducated jungle idiot as some honorable folk like to refere to them. They are the majority, the reds are just at the fore at the fore at the fore, I always stutter when trying to explain the color red to a blind person. its impossible you know

True, you didn't say 'red', just 'jungle idiots'. Could be almost anyone then, couldn't it. still lots of jungle in Thailand, assuming we were restricting ourselves to Thailand.

So re-reading we're talking about the oppressed who you choose to call the 'jungle idiots'. I'll be kind and assume you were a bit sarcastic here. The reds are at the forefront you say? Is that 'reds' as in the red-shirt, grass-root poor, or only the UDD faction with it's leaders as possible Pheu Thai MP-elects? Those last can hardly be called uneducated. Some may even sue you for defamation calling them both idiots and uneducated.

Last question if you would be so kind to permit. Do you have less problems explaining colours other than red to the blind ?

ignorance on parade. Clearly your problem is that you assume everyone else is as ignorant as yourself. Pick up a newspaper sometime.

but find a real Newspaper not the childish rubbish quoted here by the so called Nation. Try to find a real paper or online news site

Pray, tell us. Any particular paper or site you had in mind?

votes were counted and now there is a way to try and change the result. Well I would not be happy either but the army has said it will not get involved .... so find some other means between here and August

Try and change the result? Seeking justice does that?

"Is it not various persons and organisations including political parties who file and keep filing petitions to the EC to 'look into', 'check' or simply 'please dissolve this party'? This very day Pheu Thai filed a petition to have the Dem's and BJT dissolved. :ermm:

Civil Court orders 13 PAD members to pay Bt522 million in compensation for airport closure with 7.5% interest/yr /TAN_Network

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12092906

There are more convictions and at least one more civil suit lost, but I'm not going to do your homework for you.

You responded to a post that finished with "Did we see Ghandi acting like the red shirts?" and you starting with "Gandhi like Mandela ...".

My apologies for assuming you referring to the red shirts.