Uk Passport Renewal (Via Hong Kong)

It's been a while since i have needed to post up a topic on this forum but I have found myself in a sticky situation.

Around 3 weeks ago i sent of an application to renew my UK passport from Bangkok via EMS.

3 days later i received confirmation showing that my application had arrived at the UK Embassy in Hong Kong.

Now this is where the problem starts, I in two weeks i will have to leave Thailand as my Tourist visa will expire BUT for the past three weeks i have heard NOTHING from the Hong Kong's UK Embassy.....

A) Do i assume that all is well and that my passport application has been accepted and will be on it's way shortly?

B) Do i assume that something has gone wrong or maybe it fell into the wrong hands and apply again?

C) Do i wait for the to contact me via the telephone number and email address i gave them...............?

D) Or something else?

I can't use the premium rate phone number as i have no mobile phone here and or credit card, is there another way to contact them?

Thank you for any advice, Karl :)

A friend of mine renewed his passport through the Hong Kong Embassy, same method. He started to worry about the return of his passport Just like you are!

I'm guessing you sent your old passport with the application? That was a misstake if you did. UK passport holders are advised to keep the old passport if living in Thailand, saves you spending time in Jail till they see your passport, should the BiB want to see your passport. As per the British embassy in Thailand advice. You should then cancel the old passport yourself by cutting the corners off. The embassy will cancel your old passport electronically so it can't be used.

You will get your passport back with in the time frame of 4 weeks. Best keep a low profile till then!

But it is a naff way of having to renew ones passport from here in Thailand.

Good Luck.................

I'm still in possession of my UK passport, so the BIB can't extract the usual 'top secret you give me 200 baht'

I am however disappointed with the lack of contact from the embassy and the fact that the only way i can enquirer about my 9000baht passport application is through calling a 100baht a minute call center!!

I guess i'm going to have to sit tight for the next two weeks, i guess if i still fail to get my passport in time then i can ask for an emergency passport from the UK Embassy in Bangkok?

I paid for DHL return delivery too, i again ASSUME (assumption seems to be the key factor when applying for a UK passport via Hong Kong) that once my passport is winging it's way back to me i'll be emailed my DHL tracking number?

Shame, Shame, Shambles! :(

A friend of mine renewed his passport through the Hong Kong Embassy, same method. He started to worry about the return of his passport Just like you are!

I'm guessing you sent your old passport with the application? That was a misstake if you did. UK passport holders are advised to keep the old passport if living in Thailand, saves you spending time in Jail till they see your passport, should the BiB want to see your passport. As per the British embassy in Thailand advice. You should then cancel the old passport yourself by cutting the corners off. The embassy will cancel your old passport electronically so it can't be used.

You will get your passport back with in the time frame of 4 weeks. Best keep a low profile till then!

The British Embassy staff in HK don't give a toss about your application as I found out for myself a couple of months back. They will not take your calls or give you any details, you MUST contact the call center in the UK.

As pointed out, not everyone has a credit card or a phone to be able to call but as I said, they don't care.

I too was really stressed when my passport hadn't arrived 2 days before my visa ran out. I called the UK with 5 days to go and they told me they didn't have the tracking number and would have to contact HK , this could take up to 3 days but they would let me know by e-mail by then. I was furious as you can imagine, such a bunch of idiots! So I called HK again to tell them that the UK call center couldn't give me the details and couldn't get passed the reception. She was very sorry and understanding but said that she had told them my problem but they all said I MUST go via the call center .

As far as I was concerned once the payment for DHL has been paid to them they should let you know by e-mail or text , stating your tracking number so you can find out for yourself but I guess that's too simple for them.

My passport arrived the day before my visa finished but it was thanks to DHL in Phuket. They were great, they called me as soon as it arrived at their office and delivered it to me at an agreed location as I wasn't near my home at the time.

The bill for the calls to the UK were about 14 pounds - for NOTHING!!!!! @holes!

I hope you don't have the same stress as I did.

Good luck.

I'm still in possession of my UK passport, so the BIB can't extract the usual 'top secret you give me 200 baht'

I am however disappointed with the lack of contact from the embassy and the fact that the only way i can enquirer about my 9000baht passport application is through calling a 100baht a minute call center!!

I guess i'm going to have to sit tight for the next two weeks, i guess if i still fail to get my passport in time then i can ask for an emergency passport from the UK Embassy in Bangkok?

I paid for DHL return delivery too, i again ASSUME (assumption seems to be the key factor when applying for a UK passport via Hong Kong) that once my passport is winging it's way back to me i'll be emailed my DHL tracking number?

I paid for DHL return delivery too, i again ASSUME (assumption seems to be the key factor when applying for a UK passport via Hong Kong) that once my passport is winging it's way back to me i'll be emailed my DHL tracking num

You will get your passport back with in the time frame of 4 weeks

I renewed mine 1 month ago. Did not recieve any confirmation of receipt....did not get any DHL tracking advice. I checked my credit card statement and found it was debited 3 days after I had posted it. The new passport was recieved back in 22 days from posting the application

Edited by lopburi3
fix quote

I guess i have two more problems now... :(

I sent my application out of Thailand via EMS but included payment for DHL return delivery within the application, so the only way i'll get my tracking number is if they can be bothered to email or sms it to me....

As i don't have a credit card i can't check to see if money has been debited from my account (instead i had to travel 30km to the nearest bank that would issue a bankers draft in Hong Kong Dollars) I guess if i travel back to the same back i could pay more money to check if the money has be deducted from their account?

I guess it's just a waiting game, i hope i don't have to pay a lengthy overstay because of the incompetence of this renewal system!!

I couldn't find any contact number for the Embassy in Hong Kong, is there one that can be shared?

Karl :)

Don't panic! I sent mine last month and got it back in exactly 3 weeks and 2 days. No notifications, DHL tracking numbers or anything was received.

As you sent by EMS it will probably take a couple of days longer, I bet you have it by the end of the week.

Don't panic! I sent mine last month and got it back in exactly 3 weeks and 2 days. No notifications, DHL tracking numbers or anything was received.

As you sent by EMS it will probably take a couple of days longer, I bet you have it by the end of the week.

Basically if you can see that they (the Honk Kong Embassy) have collected their fee from your C/C account, then they will only contact you if there is a problem with your application. Otherwise it is a waiting game, they will not notify you via e-mail that they have processed and DHL'd your new passport. As you quite rightly say, it is taking the piss with the costs of phoning the callcentre in the UK, which I can only imagine is to diss-suade you from phoning in the first place.

Maybe we need to organise a pettion to the ambassy here in Thailand as they claim it is to streamline the application process!

I have just sent the op a private message with a contact within the Hong Kong passport centre, but then I think, why shouldn't everyone have it - the british government have no problem making us use a premium rate telephone number so stuff them

This chap was helpful (unlike his employers)

Keep him busy

Edited by lopburi3
email removed

^^^^^^^

Whilst I understand your frustration, you find a chap who has been helpful and them share his email address to all and sundry, adding "keep him busy". Don't you think it's just possible that he might be disinclined to help people in the future?

Good news, I received my 48 page passport (40 useful pages) this morning.

I was woken up by the DHL delivery guy at my house :)

Overall it took 3 weeks (paying with a Bankers Draft) and I'm very happy with the services from EMS and DHL.

As for the service from Hong Kong's UK Embassy....... Lets just say it worked BUT i wish they could inform applicants on the progress of their application and forward the DHL tracking number too!

I don't go much on this waiting game lark, especially when one's required to hop across a boarder but can only sit and wait hoping that overstays don't start accumulating!

It's somewhat scary not knowing if you will ever see you 9000baht book arrive :(

• 7 months later...

It is now February 2012, I sent my passport application to Hong Kong last October, they debited me early December and sent me an email in December but got my email wrong even though it was printed on a covering letter, My photograph's, face hieght was less than a mm out so sent new photos last month, I got my birth certificate back yesterday but still no passport, I am so glad my immigration department has been so good, I have dealt with them more than 20 years

Sent EMS on 24h Jan to H.K.

27th Money taken from my Thai Debit Card..

Yesterday morning early email from DHL Vietnam to say Passport arrived in Vietnam and sending to Thailand..

Yesterday 14:00 2pm email from DHL Thailand saying 2x Packages just arrived..

17:00 5pm have both packages 1x new passport and 1x receipt for Debit card...

Cannot workout why Vietnam handles this ?????

On an other note........ New Passport is very different then my old 9.5 yr old one........ 1st job make a copy......... err has anyone made a copy ?

Copy in black and white = a big star over my face photo ???? just scanned Passport to PC, scan is fine, but print and again there is a big star over picture.......?

Do Immigration accept this ?as NO picture shows on i.d page on a photo copy.

Edited by ignis

Thanks.... security feature yes...

Another double miss-match instructions....... put a copy of passport in safe keeping........ and it is prohibited to copy a UK passport..

One wonders in 10 years time/renew passport again, how you will get a new passport only sending a copy when no face picture shows?

Edited by ignis

I paid for DHL return delivery too, i again ASSUME (assumption seems to be the key factor when applying for a UK passport via Hong Kong) that once my passport is winging it's way back to me i'll be emailed my DHL tracking num

You will get your passport back with in the time frame of 4 weeks

I renewed mine 1 month ago. Did not recieve any confirmation of receipt....did not get any DHL tracking advice. I checked my credit card statement and found it was debited 3 days after I had posted it. The new passport was recieved back in 22 days from posting the application

Same as me my new passport was returned in 3 weeks so the OP should get his back in the next few days. DHL called me to say they will deliver the new passport

DHL called me to say they will deliver the new passport

Out of interest where you also called from Vietnam ? a Alice Feng DHL Vietnam phoned me at 9 am, as well as sending an email, to arrange delivery as she said Passport would arrive in Thailand later that day, it did and got email from DHL here.

Just appears odd that the passports go from UK to Vietnam to Thailand

• 3 weeks later...

I sent my renewal application off last October due to a stolen passport, I first heard from the consulate in January although they sent me an email in Deceimber but got my email address wrong, the did not even debit my account until early Dec, they told me in Jan my head was about 1mm too short.

I eventually got a new Passport mid February.

I wrote to the local Immigratuion office in October and told them my problem, I sent the usual 90 day forms.

I did not anticipate waiting until after Jan for my document and I thought I could not send the 90 day forms then as I had no passport number or any other info.

When I went to transfer my visa there was no problem with it but I ras considered 40 days overstayed therefore a fine of 20,000 Baht was due.