Rhode Island Reds

i have about 60 chickens but they lay really small eggs. Does anyone know where i can get some rhode Island red chickens male or female? Ideally i would like to get several females and a couple of males. I am in Chiang Mai so I would like to be able to pick them up in Chiang Mai province to avoid the cross province border restrictions.

If You stop at any feed store and inquirer, they may point you in the right direction,

That is how I found mine, in a little hole in the wall feed store.

They told me they would call me when they were going to get some Rhode Island Reds chicks.

About 2 weeks later they called me and asked If I would be interested in buying grown hens, that would start laying in about 2 weeks, they even delivered them to my house.

The cost was a 130 baht per hen, which I thought was a better deal, then feeding baby chicks, for 4 months until they were ready to start laying eggs.

About 2 weeks later we had our 1st egg laid and now we get 16-17 eggs per day from our 20 hens.

Also my wife sells her baby rabbits to a pet shop in Nakhon Sawan, once I went with her and, that pet shop have different types of baby chicks, ducks, birds and rabbits.

The pet shop where I purchased my chickens also found us two geese ,our pair of geese turned out to be two females.

Good Luck!

Edited by kikoman

In Phitsanulok and Phichit, I went the feedstore route and everybody told me where to get them and I ran all over until I was dizzy; never found a thing. Typical Thailand wild goose chase, with no goose at the end.

Here is a website for a place in Thailand that will ship you fertile Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire eggs. You can cross RIR and NH to get sexlinks, which are good layers and you can identify gender at birth. You can either incubate these eggs or tuck them under one of your setting hens. Any broody hen will accept an orphan egg. It is in Thai, but you can get some translation help.

http://www.bestchum.com/SoldPageI.html

• 2 weeks later...

If You stop at any feed store and inquirer, they may point you in the right direction,

They told me they would call me when they were going to get some Rhode Island Reds chicks.

About 2 weeks later they called me and asked If I would be interested in buying grown hens, that would start laying in about 2 weeks, they even delivered them to my house.

The cost was a 130 baht per hen, which I thought was a better deal, then feeding baby chicks, for 4 months until they were ready to start laying eggs.

About 2 weeks later we had our 1st egg laid and now we get 16-17 eggs per day from our 20 hens.

Also my wife sells her baby rabbits to a pet shop in Nakhon Sawan, once I went with her and, that pet shop have different types of baby chicks, ducks, birds and rabbits.

The pet shop where I purchased my chickens also found us two geese ,our pair of geese turned out to be two females.

Good Luck!

i guess i am getting ripped off,, the feed store we go to in Nang Rong about 50 klm from Buri Ram charges us 220 baht for a 5 months old,, then lay in about 2 months or so,,we have about 90 Rhode Island Reds,,,still looking for a Rooster to take care of some boom boom so we can raise our own,, anyone know of a rooster let me know,,i live in Nondindaeng,, cheers

In Phitsanulok and Phichit, I went the feedstore route and everybody told me where to get them and I ran all over until I was dizzy; never found a thing. Typical Thailand wild goose chase, with no goose at the end.

Here is a website for a place in Thailand that will ship you fertile Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire eggs. You can cross RIR and NH to get sexlinks, which are good layers and you can identify gender at birth. You can either incubate these eggs or tuck them under one of your setting hens. Any broody hen will accept an orphan egg. It is in Thai, but you can get some translation help.

http://www.bestchum.com/SoldPageI.html

cjustice this is the people that i emailed you about just a few minutes ago.

Well TT thanks for this link. I got in touch with them and it is I believe 250 baht delivered to your door for one dozen. That is 20 baht an egg which is very expensive by my book but very well may be a lot to do with shipping costs so if you are close to them maybe by buying a quantity will make it practical. The incubation process really is quite involved and obviously there is no sexing of an egg so it could be a very poor investment if you factor poor hatch and bad luck with the sexes. that said if someone wanted to invest just 250 baht and try to hatch a dozen it would be an interesting project.

Kikoman had some good luck and i hope i do when i aggressively start hopefully my final search to acquire a hundred or so chicks. I have leads for some but like it has been said more than once it can become a real wild goose chase and i don't know of many folks too good at catching even tame gooses. Burriram supposedly has a feed shop that sells RIR on Mondays (sometimes). choke Dee all Firm Feeling Feathered layers with Fords Forever

• 1 month later...

I only purchased 20 hens, that have been laying an adverage of 16 eggs a day, they have been laying now for about a year. also our egg production has dropped down to 14-16 eggs per day.

We wanted to purchase 40 more hens from the same person, but his prices have gone up from 130 baht per hen to 180 baht. I was not willing to pay the 50 baht increase for the hens.

so we did not purchase any more

We also purchased 12 chicks from the local market , ( 15 baht per chick) that were RI whites, we were told that the RIR hens where brown and the roosters were white,(in my raising chickens back home the RIR roosters and hens were both brown,) the chicks we purchased were all roosters , that were white with brown spots on them. They were big and very aggessive, and I did not want to put them in with my hens. So we ate them.

I hope you find some hens.

Good Luck

Cheers::)

Edited by kikoman

Lucky one month ago to finally track some down

Travelled from Thoeng to about 20k this side of Mai Sai

by trhe turning to Doi Tung

Got 25 weekk old chicks at 50 baht each

Im sure if you put them inside the car cross border between provinces should not be a problem

Send me personal message for more info

Thomas

Good Luck!

25 week old chicks at 50 baht ?

Ill take 5,000 of them and travel anywhere in Thailand

I just can not see that is right. It costs about 160 baht to get a bird to that stage thats no profit

Are you sure there not end of lay 2 year old that no one wants ?

• 1 month later...

when buying chicks , how do you sex them to see what you are buying. I want to get 3 or 4 of those big red hens , I think they are the rhode island reds , but I dont know where I would find them in bangkok at point of lay , so was considering buying chicks at chatuchak market , but dont want to end up with 4 cockerels.

Any info would be great

thanks

Colin

Colin there are No Rhode Island Reds in Thailand , People on here call them that because they look a little like a RIR,

The bird you are Talking about is called a (Warren) it has a few other names as well depending who bred it.

It is a Sex-Linked Chicken that comes out at birth red the males are White some have a splash of brown on there backs.

Buy from a Market or off a truck and I am 100 % sure they will be cocks. your problem is no ones going to go out there way to get you four, We think 40 is a small order add another 0 and you may find a Thai to make a phone call.

But good luck

Colin there are No Rhode Island Reds in Thailand , People on here call them that because they look a little like a RIR,

The bird you are Talking about is called a (Warren) it has a few other names as well depending who bred it.

It is a Sex-Linked Chicken that comes out at birth red the males are White some have a splash of brown on there backs.

Buy from a Market or off a truck and I am 100 % sure they will be cocks. your problem is no ones going to go out there way to get you four, We think 40 is a small order add another 0 and you may find a Thai to make a phone call.

But good luck

Hi Andy

Thanks for your response.

After a bit more reading up I have found out that the Thai version is called a ''Dam Tong'' , but finding 4 hens is going to be a problem as you mentioned. I want them as pets and dont want to hear the constant crowing of a cockeral , but I'll keep searching mate.

I might have to wait until I go up to the village again , and then bring them down to Bangkok with me.

thanks

Colin

But good luck

Hi Andy

After a bit more reading up I have found out that the Thai version is called a ''Dam Tong'' , but finding 4 hens is going to be a problem as you mentioned. I want them as pets and dont want to hear the constant crowing of a cockeral , but I'll keep searching mate.

I might have to wait until I go up to the village again , and then bring them down to Bangkok with me.

thanks

Colin

Colin the ( Dam tong ) is thai for (Black Gold) it is not the same bird , We know it in the Uk as Black Rock If you can find some this is the best bird in Thailand read more at http://www.thai-farm.com/chickens/ or http://www.blackrockhens.co.uk/

Edited by andycrosby

But good luck

Hi Andy

thanks

Colin

Colin the ( Dam tong ) is thai for (Black Gold) it is not the same bird , We know it in the Uk as Black Rock If you can find some this is the best bird in Thailand read more at http://www.thai-farm.com/chickens/ or http://www.blackrockhens.co.uk/

Hi Andy

Thanks again for the quick response.

Your first link is the one I found that led me to the Dam Tong. Do you know how to tell the difference between male and female in the chicks ?

I'd rather know myself than trust a Thai market vendor trying to sell them.

Are they difficult to find in Thailand ?

Do you have any Idea where I could start to look in the Bangkok area ? , I live on the eastern side of Bangkok , just the other side of Swampy airport.

regards

Colin

them white cocks are a good cross for the brown laying hes, i bought some laying hens last year and there still laying, i also bought as we all do 20 day olds from the back of a m/bike and yes i got 20 cocks, but saying that they are good birds, just like the kallogs cockeral, good for beeding, im in england till the 30th, so ive bought a 60egg incubator to bring back with me so i can hatch the eggs myself, and with the cocks being white and the hens brown i should be able to colour sex them,

take care all jake

them white cocks are a good cross for the brown laying hes, i bought some laying hens last year and there still laying, i also bought as we all do 20 day olds from the back of a m/bike and yes i got 20 cocks, but saying that they are good birds, just like the kallogs cockeral, good for beeding, im in england till the 30th, so ive bought a 60egg incubator to bring back with me so i can hatch the eggs myself, and with the cocks being white and the hens brown i should be able to colour sex them,

take care all jake

Hi Jake The white cocks you brought are the brothers to the hens you brought. Try reading 3-4 posts back they are a sex -link chicken. Thats how they know the girls from the boys as day old chicks. Once again the girls come out red and the boys come out white. When you breed them to each other you will get all white offspring.

I could at this point go into a talk about why and poultry genetics, but I feel it would be waisted. So to put it simple for you the white gene masks the red.

So now the chicks you breed are going to be kept for 12 weeks if you know what your doing. till you can sex them. They dont grow well that is why they sell them off for 1 baht. each. So 50% of your feed is going to waist to raise a useless bird.

But as always Good luck.

If your bringing an incubator do your self a favor and go on E-bay and bring some Welsh summer eggs back at the same time you can sex them from day one

But good luck

Hi Andy

thanks

Colin

Hi Andy

Thanks again for the quick response.

Your first link is the one I found that led me to the Dam Tong. Do you know how to tell the difference between male and female in the chicks ?

I'd rather know myself than trust a Thai market vendor trying to sell them.

Are they difficult to find in Thailand ?

Do you have any Idea where I could start to look in the Bangkok area ? , I live on the eastern side of Bangkok , just the other side of Swampy airport.

regards

Colin

Hi Colin Yes I do know how to sex Chickens, but as many have stated on here over the years "on a market or on trucks or motorbikes they are all cocks" they sometimes spray them Red , yellow , pink and Blue so kids take them home and stupid Expats.

Buy older birds to be sure. Shame you were not closer id give you 4 old hens free to keep you in eggs as after 1 year there no go to me but would do you fine as pets and the odd egg. I keep putting them over our 8ft wall into the woodland and they keep coming back all my rabbits went over it today as the kids never feed them anymore but thats another story.

If your up my way send me a PM and ill give you 4