Anyone Got Land For Sale?

My Thai g.f. wants to buy a small piece of land – maybe ¼ rai to 1 rai, or so - so she can lease it to me and execute a usufruct to enable me to build a small 150sq.m. house, where we can both live. Nor Sor Sam Gor or Chanote tiltles only.

Preferred location would be rural, semi-rural, or even isolated but must have access to all services and direct road access and be within one hour driving distance of a town/city with usual facilities like hospitals, Tesco Lotus etc., and local fresh market. Prefer to be near some farang community, but not interested in tourist or sexpat activities.

G.f. already owns land but we want to be away from the social pressures of living close to the family village, where we have lived for too many years!

Could be interested in buying a small part of your established estate and operating as caretaker in your absence, or other similar arrangement, or simply buying some land you know is for sale.

Any Province in Thailand considered. Please PM me with any details.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like in the States when someone puts the word around that they are interested in buying a car.

Suddenly the person is swamped with offers from people that have an old rust heap they want to get rid of.

It`s a similar situation here in Thailand regarding an inquiry to purchase land. I guarantee you will be inundated with messages from people that have a priceless oasis somewhere in the desert they wish to see the back of.

At this time, especially in the sticks, they are having a hard job even giving the land away, as land plots well outside the towns are of little value, even with the Chanote titles.

My girlfriend owns 28 rai of land that her father left her near Mai Hong Son. Average prices up there with the good paper about 50000 per rai, if you're lucky.

If you are interested you can have the lot at a bargain price, because it will never be of much value, or suitable as an investment, not in my lifetime.

Edited by Beetlejuice

This is like in the States when someone puts the word around that they are interested in buying a car.

Suddenly the person is swamped with offers from people that have an old rust heap they want to get rid of.

It`s a similar situation here in Thailand regarding an inquiry to purchase land. I guarantee you will be inundated with messages from people that have a priceless oasis somewhere in the desert they wish to see the back of.

At this time, especially in the sticks, they are having a hard job even giving the land away, as land plots well outside the towns are of little value, even with the Chanote titles.

My girlfriend owns 28 rai of land that her father left her near Mai Hong Son. Average prices up there with the good paper about 50000 per rai, if you're lucky.

If you are interested you can have the lot at a bargain price, because it will never be of much value, or suitable as an investment, not in my lifetime.

That is called Capital Gains, What was it worth 12 years ago?. 12 years ago ,I bought a small house on 1 rai of land in a village ,with electricity and water , for B25,000. Today ? maybe B 250,000. In our area, upland in particular . more buyers than sellers.

Edited by afarang

I dont understand why farang are always building houses and going through that trouble as opposed to just buying a home already built. commodity/building material prices have risen dramatically since the great recession started

Probably because at least in the area we live most houses are priced at least double what the build cost would have been

Thanks for the opinions, all of which are totally valid.

I am not looking for an investment here.. I do understand our Farang upbringing automatically links home ownership with investment but I already own property, including Thai condos. I simply want somewhere to live, have already designed the house, and know how much build cost will be, and most importantly, I can afford to lose the money and not care. My “investment” will be limited to what I can own – a building.

I would consider an existing property but don’t aspire to Moo Baan life, or urban life in general. An existing property would need to be amazing value, and cheap, and not need costly refurbishment. Also, I couldn’t be bothered with the jumping through hoops required by Thai authorities in separating the ownership of the land and building, so I would end up giving money to my g.f. for her to buy the land and building in her name, and for me to lease from her. I aim to keep my costs to a minimum. By building from new on land that my g.f. would buy, with her money, and lease to me, my capital “investment” is lowered.

Having viewed numerous existing Thai houses for sale, at vastly inflated values, and in various stages of decay, I would rather build from new, so my “investment” will both completely suit my needs and require minimal maintenance yet still be of such low value that I could painlessly walk away, in the unlikely event that it became necessary.

So, other than Beetlejuice’s girlfriend’s 28 rai, anyone got ¼ rai to sell?

Just an idea. Have you looked at the Bank listings? They have many land foreclosures they want to sell. Go to the area you like and check with all the banks in the area.

Just an idea. Have you looked at the Bank listings? They have many land foreclosures they want to sell. Go to the area you like and check with all the banks in the area.

Great advice Mrjlh, many thanks. My g.f. has been online doing just that for the last few days. So many available that I think she's become frustrated, which is why I also thought of posting here to help her out in the search, in the hope that fellow farang would have an idea.

I've replied to your PM Kleagle.

Quote "...so she can lease it to me and execute a usufruct to enable me to build a small 150sq.m. house..."

I would not recommend the combination of a land lease and a usufruct for two reasons:

1. The high costs involved in the land lease

2. The land lease and a usufruct may contradict one another given that a land lease can only be registered for a maximum period of thirty years while a usufruct may be registered for life.

A far better combination is to register a usufruct AND a superficies. The reason for that is because the superficies is the only section in the property law that clearly gives the holder permission to build his own house on land owned by someone else. Like usufruct the superficies can be registered for life.

Many thanks stgrhe for that invaluable advice. May I just ask you to clarify one aspect..... are you saying to use a Usufruct and a Superficies together and to not acquire a Leasehold interest? I do need to get this right first time!

A far better combination is to register a usufruct AND a superficies. The reason for that is because the superficies is the only section in the property law that clearly gives the holder permission to build his own house on land owned by someone else. Like usufruct the superficies can be registered for life.

If this is such a good solution, how come so many people seem to go down the (potentially illegal) company route instead?

Presumably because the company solution does provide for possible resale whereas usufruct/superficies does not? Or have I (and they) missed something?

Personally I wouldnt hand over any money for anything that isnt in my sole name, and I'd think 17 times before doing that, but I am curious as to what motivates others.

Many thanks stgrhe for that invaluable advice. May I just ask you to clarify one aspect..... are you saying to use a Usufruct and a Superficies together and to not acquire a Leasehold interest? I do need to get this right first time!

A lifetime usufruct together with a lifetime superficies, registered on the same Chanote, is tantamount to land ownership. For that reason It has been reported that the Land Office will not register such an agreement. Indeed, I don't recall any poster having claimed to have such a deal.

Land for sale all over Thailand, first identify where you want to live and take it from there.

Now is the perfect time to be looking at land, its rainy season and you can see what you will be buying in all its glory, rather than finding out later

you were suckered into buying on a flood plain.

No need to be be paying the ridiculous prices in the farang ghettos either, plenty of land for sale at less than 100,000 baht per rai.

By the time you knock up a half decent house and furnish it you can still have change left over from 3 million, see what that buys you in Pattaya, a rabbit hutch on a 56tw strip if you are lucky.

Land for sale all over Thailand, first identify where you want to live and take it from there.

Now is the perfect time to be looking at land, its rainy season and you can see what you will be buying in all its glory, rather than finding out later

you were suckered into buying on a flood plain.

No need to be be paying the ridiculous prices in the farang ghettos either, plenty of land for sale at less than 100,000 baht per rai.

By the time you knock up a half decent house and furnish it you can still have change left over from 3 million, see what that buys you in Pattaya, a rabbit hutch on a 56tw strip if you are lucky.

Perfect well said, anyway I am 1 hour from both cities CM CR plus we have a reasonable farrang comunity. Between us we could find you a nice piece of land, you are welcome to come and look free of charge. please pm if interested we are genuine.

3 Mill upcountry,will get you land and a nice house on it.Never foreget to ask ferangs about the 1.5Mill they are lucky to get if they can sell it.Thais want new,and dont get ripped off by the Wifes Family.Theres buckets of 6 Mills, going for 1 Mill at bank Auctions if you look around.Buyer Beware.

I am planning to divide some of our land plots into smaller pieces (200-600m2). They are in Ban Krut. Ban Krut is one of the what i find lovely coastal villages south of Prachuap Khirikhan city. The land is 2km drive from the beach. Another piece i just bought has a sea view (filled and ready to be built upon) and can be split into 100m2 to 800m2 block.

This will happen around november/december this year. Prices start from 100.000.

When you buy Gold you also see the Buyback Price displayed.Treat your Land Purchase as Gold.When you see something you like,ask for a copy of the Cement Marker Post Map/,without one do nothing.Show it to a Local Bank, ask them what Money they would lend against it. and that's what its worth.The Seller has already tried this and is looking for a Newbie.Ferangs are the worst, they overvalue everything.As for a DEPOSIT, run like Hell if they start that.Research is my advise after 35 Years here.If you can find a Ferangs House with a Lease for sale, don't be fooled, they even fiddle the Lease.Not the Ferang, but the Woman and the Dubious Solicitor, she found from the other Girls recommendation..

I'm inclined to agree. There is an astonishing amount of lies and deceit related to property in Thailand. Add to that the general poor build-quality and condition of most property, and the absurdly high asking prices that many vendors practice. Caveat emptor indeed.

As for deposits: yes, indeed. Why should any buyer feel the need to pay a deposit in what is clearly a market flooded with vendors and with hardly any buyers? More to the point if the vendor paid a deposit to retain the buyer, I think.

I'm inclined to agree. There is an astonishing amount of lies and deceit related to property in Thailand. Add to that the general poor build-quality and condition of most property, and the absurdly high asking prices that many vendors practice. Caveat emptor indeed.

As for deposits: yes, indeed. Why should any buyer feel the need to pay a deposit in what is clearly a market flooded with vendors and with hardly any buyers? More to the point if the vendor paid a deposit to retain the buyer, I think.

Why a deposit? It holds the property for you the buyer. It gives you, the buyer. time the get the financing and holds the property for you while protecting the seller of any loss because you might fail to get financing. Its really only fair! It shorts out the serious from the still looking bunch. My GF had 2 buyers and one renter for her shop house. One buyer had the money outright or so he said. The other buyer needed to get financing. The renter wanted a 3 year lease. Being she wanted to sell and not rent she turned the renter away. To see who was serious about buying a non-refundable deposit was established. First it covered the lost of revenue from a renter, a sure thing. The deposit is subtracted from the purchase price when the financing goes through. So the man with money put down a deposit to hold the purchase. It turned out he needed more money from a bank which later turned him down. The other buyer waited awhile before simply going elsewhere. They were not the serious buyer. So in the end not only did she loose a renter she did not sell her shop house. The deposit covered loss while waiting.

So thinking that sellers asking for a deposit is ridiculous, all I can say to you....I'll refrain my comment.

So thinking that sellers asking for a deposit is ridiculous, all I can say to you....I'll refrain my comment.

Agree. If you say yes I want it then whats the problem with putting a deposit down, you just said you wanted it. It weeds out the 'nothing better to do then waste my time wasters" and there are plenty of them here.

Yes!

Why a deposit? It holds the property for you the buyer.

As if another buyer is going to come along! Some hope.

Besides which, the buyer paying a deposit doesnt hold anything at all: the vendor can just give it back and say 'I changed my mind".

It gives you, the buyer. time the get the financing and holds the property for you while protecting the seller of any loss because you might fail to get financing.

This assumes that the buyer needs financing. Not all do: I dont, for example. I could pick a property in the morning and do the transfer that afternoon. So why pay a deposit?

Its really only fair!

Fair would be if both the buyer and the vendor paid a deposit to some third party. That would be fair.

Agree. If you say yes I want it then whats the problem with putting a deposit down, you just said you wanted it. It weeds out the 'nothing better to do then waste my time wasters" and there are plenty of them here.

Signing a contract to purchase obviates the need for a deposit.

And what about time-wasting vendors? The ones who keep changing their minds and dont know whether they want to sell or not?

Dont they need weeding out also? There are quite a few of them around.

Hi Darel, you can have your opinion and that's fine. You are in the fortunate position to not need financing, and being in a country where you can both go down to the land office, get a number and buy the property in a matter of hours. In this case, I agree, a deposit is not really required.

For some bizar reason you are suggesting that a seller should keep a property on a promise of someone wants it when it is being marketed for sale. It is normal if you want a property to go buy it out right or lay down a non refundable deposit. It is also normal to have some penalty for the seller if they were to neglect that contract.