Thailand's Irresistible Attraction For Fugitives

webfact

Criminals seem to run for government and seem to get elected, so what differnce does it make. The more criminals the merrier. "birds of a feather flock together." The bottom line is there is money in crime...When we were kids, they would say, "crime dosen't pay." But in a country that has criminals of cops, and criminals in public office...., "the medium is the message" I would say that crime pays pretty darn good.

IMO, our genial hosts should throw out any undesirable, starting with the unwashed who saunter around towns & cities in vests. At immigration yesterday: large, tattooed thug with vest, bouncing and petting honey on his knee. :bah: . What an embarrassment and this type hails from all our countries. Please go away!

Then perhaps it is time for the USA to have a control when people board an airplane in the USA so their criminals stay there.

I don't remember the article mentioning Americans, though it does mention Germans, South Korean; Czech; Pakistani, Filipino, French, Japan; Israeli; Indian; Australian. Many countries have no passport control upon exit. I suspect there's a reason.

Then perhaps it is time for the USA to have a control when people board an airplane in the USA so their criminals stay there.

And then we might see a 1% reduction in the criminals entering Thailand...

By your 'English(!)', I can see that you are not American. Is your home country free of criminals? Or do you just take a free swing at the US whenever you see a cheap opportunity?

So typical...

Good post I too am fed up of theses d......k heads. who know nothing and have never been state side.

Edited by ableguy

Let's not forget about the UK and Australia. The numbers speak volumes.

It's clearly not a problem that can be pinned on any one country as criminals seem to leak out of all of them. Certain types of crimes do seem geographically related though. You read more articles about various types of scammers coming out of Europe it seems like, Africa--drugs and some scams as well, Russia and Japan--mafia, and Australia and the U.S. seem to similarly send over random criminals ranging from pedophiles through killers.

It is the accountants, lawyers, bank managers, CEOs, who do most of the stealing. As for drugs and such, keep in mind Merck and Viox.

There are at least 4 recent Pharmaceutical drugs that killed or shortened the lives of 250,000 people in the USA.

Vioxx, Avandia, Trasylol, Bextra

On September 2, 2009, the United States Department of Justice fined Pfizer $2.3 billion after one of its subsidiaries, Pharmacia & UpJohn Company, pled guilty to marketing four drugs including Bextra "with the intent to defraud or mislead."

The real drug criminals are the Pharmaceutical companies and their "friends" in the FDA.

Maybe they should do what they are doing in Malaysia.

They are scanning your fingers, they probably check to see if you are a criminal.

Time will tell, Thailand could be next to do it.:(

If I owned a Country, I wouldn't let anyone in without a simple credit check. They tell so much about the individual. It would certainly signal which ones need more investigation in the anterooms.

Really good to know if I want to stay away from criminal elements, then I just need to avoid Americans and only mix with the pristine characters from Europe, England and Australia.

All seem to have a little too large a percentage of American bashers among'st them. I had always put it down to emotional insecurities but now I know better.

In case anyone cares, I was born and raised in Australia. At age 20 I moved to the US. I moved here at age 60.

I would never try to defend some of the elite powers that run the US, but the ordinary people are at least as good as any in the world. Many seem to have a tough time grasping this concept.

An echo of my sentiments. Most 'Merkins would give the shirts off their backs to anyone in need while their 'elected' officials seek only to improve the quality of their 'golden-fleece' financed by the lobbyists, sorry to say.

Thank you for your post.

And then we might see a 1% reduction in the criminals entering Thailand...

By your 'English(!)', I can see that you are not American. Is your home country free of criminals? Or do you just take a free swing at the US whenever you see a cheap opportunity?

So typical...

Good post I too am fed up of theses d......k heads. who know nothing and have never been state side.

it's only when ya have one of the messiest yards on the street why do ya keep telling everyone else how to mow their lawns?

What a BS ! South America is surely more full with people on the run... but over there they are more difficult to find then in Thailand, thats all...

Which part is "a BS"? I didn't see the part of the article that said that Thailand had more fugitives than anywhere in the world or more than the entire continent of South America -- can you quote it please?

I don't remember the article mentioning Americans...

Oh, it definitely does.

It is the accountants, lawyers, bank managers, CEOs, who do most of the stealing. As for drugs and such, keep in mind Merck and Viox.

There are at least 4 recent Pharmaceutical drugs that killed or shortened the lives of 250,000 people in the USA.

Vioxx, Avandia, Trasylol, Bextra

On September 2, 2009, the United States Department of Justice fined Pfizer $2.3 billion after one of its subsidiaries, Pharmacia & UpJohn Company, pled guilty to marketing four drugs including Bextra "with the intent to defraud or mislead."

The real drug criminals are the Pharmaceutical companies and their "friends" in the FDA.

I see. So the mafia bosses, bank robbers, passport forgers, murderers, and pedophiles mentioned in the article are not real criminals? And as long as the CEOs of Pharmaceutical companies and their "friends" in the FDA are not hiding in Thailand..well, no story, eh?

Brilliant.

Yep, if only the Americans were as fussy about who they let out of their country as they are about who they let in.

"...it can be hard to distinguish between the felons and the investment bankers on vacation. (In some cases, presumably, they could be one and the same.)"

I love it! :D

"...Crystal waters?" -where????

Ever been to Samui??

jb1

Agree and agree ;-)

"...it can be hard to distinguish between the felons and the investment bankers on vacation. (In some cases, presumably, they could be one and the same.)"

I love it! :D

"...Crystal waters?" -where????

Perhaps it is time to implement the tattoo rule. If you are covered in them, then you are not allowed in. :ph34r:

That should empty out Patong and Pattaya. :lol:

I'd also recommend the no euro thong rule for fat men. Wear one and you get deported.

Going shirtless or barefoot. Do it and you get deported. An exception is made for Australians since it appears to be part of their culture and they usually can pull it off. B)

Topless women. If you sag, pack your bag, because you are gone. :rolleyes:

Cutting in line at the Tescos or SuperC gets you banished back to Russia and no duty free purchase of booze allowed.;)

My strategy will make Thailand a better place for all.

I am hoping the PTP will also consider my recommendations on Thai's picking their noses or popping pimples in public.

Not a lot new in that article....Its more what people do while they are here which is more of a concern to me..Reason trip to Pattaya saw a forigner come into the bar red cap and laden with gold chains asked a girl who he was and was told he was bringing the Ya Baa in.He came in then went...Now come on I could see he was up to no good...Soi 6...

I wouldn't call "no good" supplying the girls with pills they need to give a good performance :rolleyes:

Here here. I have always wondered why convicted criminals are still allowed to have a normal life with all its dressings, even after they have served their sentences. Why is it that a person who has committed a crime, served his sentence and then been released has exactly the same rights as a person that has never even had a parking ticket.

This may not be a popular point of view, and I am sorry if you disagree, but I don't like the fact that convicted criminals can travel overseas and then set up new schemes tainting the locals views on all of the law abiding people.

Here here. I have always wondered why convicted criminals are still allowed to have a normal life with all its dressings, even after they have served their sentences. Why is it that a person who has committed a crime, served his sentence and then been released has exactly the same rights as a person that has never even had a parking ticket.

This may not be a popular point of view, and I am sorry if you disagree, but I don't like the fact that convicted criminals can travel overseas and then set up new schemes tainting the locals views on all of the law abiding people.

I can say from the U.S. perspective that often times convicted criminals don't have a normal life after serving sentences, and they can't get back on their feet with a conventional job. This is part of what leads so many back to crime, because they don't know or have another way to make money. This leads to a separate discussion that doesn't belong on this thread, but I believe this is where prison reform is often times an epic failure, unless they want the criminals back. dry.gif If I were in this situation, thankfully I don't qualify, I would think that moving abroad would present a whole new set of options that are unthinkable or maybe impossible back home.

Also, criminal background checks are kind of a big deal. English teachers going to Korea now have to provide them and, once again from the U.S., they must make a request with the FBI to get the check. Currently there isn't a better system in place, so this one is lengthy and inefficient. It works fine as part of the visa process, but it's impossible to carry out at airport customs etc. If Thailand wanted to do this they have to start requiring everyone to get a visa outside of Thailand that includes this kind of criminal background check. I can't see it happening anytime soon, nor can I see countries putting in these kinds of controls when shady persons want to leave.

It is not my intention to defend Americans, but if you check the news from the past year, you will find that the majority of criminals arriving or living in Thailand come from other countries.

The corruptibility of police/immigration officials notwithstanding, it beats me why any fugitive from American justice would choose Thailand as a bolt-hole. The country is a virtual satrapy of the United States. They all get nabbed when the Feds bring enough pressure to bear.

It's not just the USA. Australia, Canada, Germany, UK and the Netherlands all have agents stationed in Thailand. Australia & Canada's emphasis is on the Tamil smugglers and terrorist cells, The extent of cooperation is suprisingly good.One need only look at the joint action of Australia and Canada to pressure Thailand over last year's hub as a transit point for Tamil terrorists attempting to enter Australia and Canada. The US focus is on narcotics, arms and terrorism. Many of the terrorist cells and organized crime groups rely on electronic crime (ATM and credit card fraud) as well as narcotic trafficing to make money. Electronic crime and narcotic trafficing has no borders, which is why there is co-operation between various foreign governments to respond.

Edited by geriatrickid