Ubon Zoo

chris26be

It is the Trakan Phuet Phoen Tiger Zoo. It only takes an hour or so to visit. I often stop whenever I go to Sam Phan Bok.

How much time should a first time visitor need to visit Sam Phan Bok?

I have been there, must have been back in 2007/08. I remember it was cheap to enter, 40 baht?, not many visitors, not well maintained, but had quite a range of animals and birds to look at. :D

It is still 40 baht. It is best to go early in the morning, before they feed the tigers. They are their most active early. As for Sam Phan Bok, it depends on you how long you need. I can spend a day there exploring easily, but then I go places most people don't go. Most people spend an hour or two to see the main sites. You can also take a longtail on the river to a couple of other sites along the river. These side trips can be anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. It can be very hot there out on the rocks, so you need to be prepared for this. Also, I would try to find someone that has been there in the last couple of weeks to check the water level. I went once in the rainy season when China had opened their dams and everything was covered with water from bank to bank.

Head out of Ubon on the road to Trakan Phutphon & Khemmarat Hwy2050. If I remember correctly it's on the right hand side before Trakan Phutphon.

As a resident of Ubon Province didn't ever know there was a zoo. Love to hear from some who knows the place. Have to kids and like to take them to somethings bit different in the area. Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Head out of Ubon on the road to Trakan Phutphon & Khemmarat Hwy2050. If I remember correctly it's on the right hand side before Trakan Phutphon.

As a resident of Ubon Province didn't ever know there was a zoo. Love to hear from some who knows the place. Have to kids and like to take them to somethings bit different in the area. Jim

Thanks for that, when the rains stop will take the kids up for the day and stay in Ubon for a night of beer. Jim