Sat Nav In Los ?

SGD

Not sure about Tom Tom, but Garmin's are very well supported here in LOS, with ~6-monthly map updates from ESRI and a huge range of community and vendor supplied POI updates.

I have tried iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and Samsung Galaxy S2 (Android), but all suffer from poor GPS reception while on the move and in a closed, tinted car - so it's a Garmin for all my cars that don't have a working/up-to-date factory nav system.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I have a Tom Tom and they do not have a Thailand map available

www.global5thailand.com

If your in Thailand you can shop around at the above link for a Garmin, comes with a CD for english language, or I see them on sale in the IT plaza's now.

Tom Tom must have a map available for Thailand - I have the Tom Tom application on my iPhone4...

It works, but as MRO suggests the GPS reception is not the greatest - but for my use it's more than sufficient.

The major issue I find with Sat Nav in Thailand is whether or not my intended location is in the system. Many are not and when one is the spelling is often quite different and I end up performing a rather lengthy search...

I find that my Garmin* takes a long time to locate satellites and I'm often on the express way heading towards my location before 'navigation' commences.

*(Nuvi 200 or something similar, I can't quite remember but its about 4 years old).

Tom Tom must have a map available for Thailand - I have the Tom Tom application on my iPhone4...

It works, but as MRO suggests the GPS reception is not the greatest - but for my use it's more than sufficient.

The major issue I find with Sat Nav in Thailand is whether or not my intended location is in the system. Many are not and when one is the spelling is often quite different and I end up performing a rather lengthy search...

I find that my Garmin* takes a long time to locate satellites and I'm often on the express way heading towards my location before 'navigation' commences.

*(Nuvi 200 or something similar, I can't quite remember but its about 4 years old).

Maybe it's only an app for iphones. When I go to the Tom Tom website I couldn't get a map for Thailand for my GPS so I ordered a Garmin. Mines 3 years old Nuvi something. Loads quickly for me but it is a crapshoot trying to type something in and get acurate directions. The home function is worth it's weight in gold when driving around the countryside though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the TomTom app on my iphone 4 with Thailand map and as a stand alone phone app it works ok although a little slow which would be no problem when walking but not good enough for driving. Having said that I did by the TomTom car kit for the iphone before comming out here and used it for a journey down south with great results, fast signal lock and faultless directions, no problems with tinted glass in the vehicle. Bought Isuzu with fitted navman system and I think although good the tomtom was better for ease of use. Car kit for sale in the classified ads as have no use for it.