Buying A Ticket From Usa To Bkk In Oct

PaulUSA302

I have been going to Thaifly to buy my travel tickets to Thailand but lately they have not been answering my emails or faxes and their website is not generating flight information.

If any of you know of a website or travel agency that offers a good rate for travel to Thailand from the Philadelphia (PHL) airport for the month of October/November, I would appreciate your sharing the tip with me.

Thanks!

Well, you picked a bad month to travel.

Most airlines raise their fares in September or October.

So, basically any ticket you buy in August or after and plan to use in October will be more expensive than if you bought it and used the same ticket in August.

I'm absolutely certain it's going to happen this year...for one thing due to the middle east instability problems fuel prices next year for airlines are going to be sharply higher...and the airlines will raise rates to insure they don't get caught by that fact. Most airlines buy their fuel in a minimum of a 3 months supply...and they must factor in the possibility that aviation fuel could be more expensive after October. So they will be rasing their fares this year in case they have to compensate for higher fuel costs in, for example, December.

When you buy a airline ticket on-line be sure you also read the "small print". Sometimes the cheapest tickets must be used within 30 days or you "agree" (small print "terms of sale") to pay a fee if you want to use that ticket past that 30 day time limit.

But to answer your question...you CAN buy a ticket on-line this month to use in October...but just read the terms of sale agreement carefully amd be aware that you may have to pay a lttle more when you buy that ticket for that privaledge.

Or go through an agent...who can get you the best combination of flexibilty and price for your particular widhes....and pay the agent by credit card. (or cash preferably)

Try to remember...a low price that locks into a ticket that isn't fleible on travel dates and has restrictions may NOT really be a better value than a more flexible ticket that costs a litte more.

P.S. Also, as I said before on another topic..due to fuel price hikes airlines will almost certainly be tightening their carry-on baggage and checked-in baggage limits soon. So a smart traveller would bring the minimum baggage they really needed to avoid paying extra baggage costs to the airlines. So, if your going on a long haul flight, and you thnk you can buy it where you're going, don't carry it in your bags unless you really need it.

I would also try Kayak, Orbitz, Expedia, bookingbuddy, etc. Do as many as you can as I have found they can vary drastically. Then after finding a good price, I also search the airlines websites directly. I prefer to book with the airline rather than through a website like Expedia. I have booked with cheaptickets.com, etc. before but had some issues with them.

Here's a good article on booking flights:

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/click-it-and-ticket-booking-a-flight-the-frugal-way/?em

One problem is some of these "meta" sites don't include all airlines. Like some of the Chinese airlines. Or even Cathay Pacific. So you might have to search them directly.

And for you, it might be best to look for flights from one of the NY airports. Then get up there yourself. I've found the "feeder" flights can be expensive and can mess up finding cheaper fares.

I like Kayak and farecompare.com as they will send you emails on a periodic basis with the cost of the flights...or when they change by a certain dollar amount. Bing use to do that, but not sure they do anymore???

Also, if you have a Thai community there, go to the grocery store and see if they have a newspaper for the Thai community. Travel agents specializing in Thailand will advertise there and I have gotten some great deals doing this before. Obviously, the Sunday Travel section in the NY Times is a great source for this also.

Good luck!

I tried to book a flight out of Baltimore (BWI) to BKK on the Continental website today for that same October/November month time frame and it bombed out on me after I had submitted the payment info. Quoted around $1550 after taxes and fees. I got an agent on the phone and went through the flight detail with her. I was told that the reason for the error was that the flight was really $2,300 and some change.

I was just on the United website and was quoted that same $1550 only to have it error out on me saying that the flight was now $6,200+. I have never had this problem before.

I tried to book a flight out of Baltimore (BWI) to BKK on the Continental website today for that same October/November month time frame and it bombed out on me after I had submitted the payment info. Quoted around $1550 after taxes and fees. I got an agent on the phone and went through the flight detail with her. I was told that the reason for the error was that the flight was really $2,300 and some change.

I was just on the United website and was quoted that same $1550 only to have it error out on me saying that the flight was now $6,200+. I have never had this problem before.

Crazy as this sounds, try clearing your cache and history. Restart it again and see if you get different results. I've done this many times and have seen the rates go down!!!

Also, rates are better mid-week than on the weekends...usually...

I have been going to Thaifly to buy my travel tickets to Thailand but lately they have not been answering my emails or faxes and their website is not generating flight information.

If any of you know of a website or travel agency that offers a good rate for travel to Thailand from the Philadelphia (PHL) airport for the month of October/November, I would appreciate your sharing the tip with me.

Thanks!

Are you flying one-way or round-trip? Do you have more firm travel dates? Do you have any airline/alliance allegiances? What is your budget cap?

Some Consolidators, like Thaifly, still have a decent selection albeit on Asian carriers (legacy US carriers dropped this program last year unfortunately). I can PM you the name of reliable and reputable Consolidator.

UA/CO, DL and KE are showing the lowest published current available tickets PHL-BKK-PHL RT Oct 12/Nov 16 (my guess for dates), in the $1,370 - $1,450 range. Consolidators may be able to beat that by ~ 10%-ish.

Just to clear up some mis-conceptions on this thread:

Oct/Nov is shoulder season

Airfares are based on supply-demand not cost (excepting YQ fuel surcharges, which admittedly are often not insignificant)

Anyone who can predict oil prices, JetA prices, should be making millions rather than posting on a forum

Check out the ITA Matrix, which was recently acquired by Google. I have been using it for years to get best fares and timing.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Pay attention to filling out the front info, you can select a range of dates and times as well as travel options ("see calender of lowest fares").

Also try different airports; you already know from Philly you can do NYC as well as Baltimore/DC.

Thanks!

Are you flying one-way or round-trip? Do you have more firm travel dates? Do you have any airline/alliance allegiances? What is your budget cap?

Some Consolidators, like Thaifly, still have a decent selection albeit on Asian carriers (legacy US carriers dropped this program last year unfortunately). I can PM you the name of reliable and reputable Consolidator.

UA/CO, DL and KE are showing the lowest published current available tickets PHL-BKK-PHL RT Oct 12/Nov 16 (my guess for dates), in the $1,370 - $1,450 range. Consolidators may be able to beat that by ~ 10%-ish.

Just to clear up some mis-conceptions on this thread:

Oct/Nov is shoulder season

Airfares are based on supply-demand not cost (excepting YQ fuel surcharges, which admittedly are often not insignificant)

Anyone who can predict oil prices, JetA prices, should be making millions rather than posting on a forum

I tried thaifly for my upcoming flight. Got the same price on UA's website. I have gotten cheaper fares from consolidators in the past, but not for the past few years. Not sure why?

The last flight I took with a consolidator, about 2 years ago, they would not let me book my seat in advance. I had to do it at the airport. Which meant wifey and I both had middle seats not next to each other on the full segments. I was pissed. But I did save around 10% of the flight by using them.

One reason I fly after the middle of September is lower fares. Much cheaper than the summer and much cheaper than flying around Xmas. I also fly back in April/May for the same reason...

If you have the name of a good consolidator, I would love to get that also!!!

Thanks!

Craig

Got the same price on UA's website.

I think you are Premier Executive? If so, forget the website, that's for the unwashed. (I think you are exempt from the ticket issuance fees?) Call (see number on back of card or 1800JETAWAY), agents will help you find the lowest fare. Some consolidators can still access UA fare buckets not available on the website or even via agents.

Got the same price on UA's website.

I think you are Premier Executive? If so, forget the website, that's for the unwashed. (I think you are exempt from the ticket issuance fees?) Call (see number on back of card or 1800JETAWAY), agents will help you find the lowest fare. Some consolidators can still access UA fare buckets not available on the website or even via agents.

Not any more! Since retiring, I've lost all my elite memberships. :(

I just moved back to Thailand 2 years ago full time, after leaving here back in 2004. So, just starting to accumulate miles based on my 2 times a year back home. I also chase low fares, so have a few miles on a variety of airlines. Trying to change that now. ;)

I fly one airline and it is EVA always reasonable flights go to there site and chek it out. Most airlines will give you the same price or better than the websites. The diccounter sites have there favorites and from my experience not that cheap.

I am telling you. from LAX to BKK or NYC to BKK, return you cannot beat Asiatravel.com. There are plenty of ways to travel in the states cheap.

I flew out of JFK once and swore I would never do it again. Traffic getting out of JFK was the worst I have ever been in. I also don't have anymore family there that could make a NYC flight possible.

I am stuck with a limited choice of airports.

PHL - Philadelphia

BWI - Baltimore Washington International

EWR - Newark Liberty (New Jersey) (Last Resort Airport).

if you have time to look online yourself and since you are in EST you could look for a cheap flight to the west coast and look for a flight out if LAX or SFO China airlines website has always had the best fare to BKK, also look on line check the fares but go back and check a couple days later as I was looking for a flight short notice and the same search went from appz 1800 on 1 day down to 1270 a couple of days later why I don;t know, I saw fares on china airlines in the sept oct for 999, China air, Cathay Pacific, Exa all usually have a sale from 1 of the west coast citys LAX SFO Vancover CA, I have also seen a cheap flight China Eastern and Air China ( not same as china airlines) or look for a cheap flight to london and a cheap flight fron london to BKK there budget flights from london as well do a search on tripadvisor.com Thailand forum for info on london to BKK, good luck be patient but stay on it till you find something that works for you, Callao

I usually go on Google and search for 'Airfare to Bangkok'. Sometimes I find a special fare from the airlines directly, sometimes with online agents.

I suggest to search and book your flights during mid-week like Wednesday or Thursday. The flights are much lower then. Good luck!

Check out the ITA Matrix, which was recently acquired by Google. I have been using it for years to get best fares and timing.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Pay attention to filling out the front info, you can select a range of dates and times as well as travel options ("see calender of lowest fares").

Also try different airports; you already know from Philly you can do NYC as well as Baltimore/DC.

Thanks for that response. I have been looking for a site like this. I fly from the US to Bangkok about 5 times a year as I am still working in the US but live in Thailand when not offshore. The prices there look way better than what I have been paying. I appreciate you posting this.

Could you not bus it to Manhattan & take the subway from there? A bit of a pain, but if it could save some $$$.

I am telling you. from LAX to BKK or NYC to BKK, return you cannot beat Asiatravel.com. There are plenty of ways to travel in the states cheap.

I flew out of JFK once and swore I would never do it again. Traffic getting out of JFK was the worst I have ever been in. I also don't have anymore family there that could make a NYC flight possible.

I am stuck with a limited choice of airports.

PHL - Philadelphia

BWI - Baltimore Washington International

EWR - Newark Liberty (New Jersey) (Last Resort Airport).

For those in southeat asia>,local,Phillipine airline.com offering all you can fly promo >unlimited travel ,BKK,Mnila,vietnam,singapore,shanghai>must book by aug 8.around $275us coach & $1100 business>additiolal add on from USA $575 + tax>after purchse,must provide yor flight plans within 48 hours .Can fly oct& Nov>;till high season>not my choice airline,but inexpesive fare