Tot & True Internet - How Does It Work?

DavidS

I have a TOT phone line and DSL broadband at my place in the Eastern Suburbs of Bangkok. As I have been having difficulty connecting at key times (which probably coincide with general heavy use), I decided to look into having True Internet as a backup.

Popped into the True shop at Central Bangna today to inquire. Chap asked for my phone number, then says it is a TOT number so I have to install a True fixed line to have True internet. I give him my address, he checks the database and then comes back and says no need for the fixed line, I can have cable internet. I ask how that works and he says just plug the modem into the phone socket.

My Thai is too basic for a technical discussion, so I would be obliged if someone here could answer some questions;

1) Is the True cable internet going to go through the TOT exchange / servers? If yes, then a TOT outage would mean True will not work either?

2) With 1 phone socket in the home office, could I use a splitter so that both modems can be plugged in?

3) Current computer has only 1 socket to connect to the modem. If there were 2 sockets or a splitter, could both modems be connected (but only 1 on at a time) so that swapping is not required?

Wi-fi from the router they will supply is an option, but I prefer hard wired for security. Also, a D-Link router I bought significantly degraded download speeds so I stopped using it (Tech support in Singapore could not overcome the problem), and that leaves me wary of routers.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, I always thought cable internet means the same system as cable TV. Out here it is all satellite as far as I know, so I am a bit puzzled to say the least.

Edited by DavidS

You really should make use of proper NAT/firewall router otherwise you could be awfully vulnerable to attack. Chances are forwarding ports correctly on the router would have fixed your download speed problems.

Can't have two DSL modems on the same line. Only one can make use of the line at a time. You could simply swap each modem out if you wanted to change, but since True won't deliver through a TOT line, this is not possible.

True probably mean that they will drag a new line to your house that supports data only, not voice.

Edited by bangkockney

1) Is the True cable internet going to go through the TOT exchange / servers? If yes, then a TOT outage would mean True will not work either?

No. True have / operate their own equipment.

2) With 1 phone socket in the home office, could I use a splitter so that both modems can be plugged in?

It doesn't work that way... The purpose of a POTS splitter is to isolate ADSL signal from the voice signal. BTW, what service are you getting? ADSL or cable?

3) Current computer has only 1 socket to connect to the modem. If there were 2 sockets or a splitter, could both modems be connected (but only 1 on at a time) so that swapping is not required?

If you have both TOT and True ADSL, you'll need to get a router with load balancing features (aka Dual WAN) to be able to utilize both services simultaneously or have one or the other as backup.

Wi-fi from the router they will supply is an option, but I prefer hard wired for security.

A wireless network can be just as secure, just make sure you configure the wireless device to use WPA.

You really should make use of proper NAT/firewall router otherwise you could be awfully vulnerable to attack. Chances are forwarding ports correctly on the router would have fixed your download speed problems.

Unfortunately, D-Link Tech support did not get into this. English tech support is routed to Singapore, and I worked with 2 levels. The first was the call centre that deals with standard 'menu' problems, then I was channeled to one of the engineers. No joy, other than updating firmware which made no difference.

No. True have / operate their own equipment.

It doesn't work that way... The purpose of a POTS splitter is to isolate ADSL signal from the voice signal. BTW, what service are you getting? ADSL or cable?

If you have both TOT and True ADSL, you'll need to get a router with load balancing features (aka Dual WAN) to be able to utilize both services simultaneously or have one or the other as backup.

Wi-fi from the router they will supply is an option, but I prefer hard wired for security.

A wireless network can be just as secure, just make sure you configure the wireless device to use WPA.

I was told that it would be cable and there is no need for a True fixed line. I am however puzzled about this as I thought cable uses the same line as cable TV, which we do not have, but the rep said just plug-in to the telephone socket, which means the TOT line.

If it is indeed cable, I don't suppose the Dual Wan would work for 1 ADSL and 1 cable?

Cable Internet uses Cable TV, not phone line. Operator is obviously have no idea what he is talking about.

You can also use TOT 3G / AIS 3G as backup if you need internet for business etc. If your TOT line goes down, you can use TOT / AIS 3G as backup.

There are open source firmwares for certain routers on the market that can make these devices dual wan support (meaning: you can load balance your internet to these two connections to achieve faster download speeds).

Cable Internet uses Cable TV, not phone line. Operator is obviously have no idea what he is talking about.

You can also use TOT 3G / AIS 3G as backup if you need internet for business etc. If your TOT line goes down, you can use TOT / AIS 3G as backup.

There are open source firmwares for certain routers on the market that can make these devices dual wan support (meaning: you can load balance your internet to these two connections to achieve faster download speeds).

Thanks for clarifying. I will ask the appropriate questions when I go back to the shop and presumably I will end up with True ADSL. With a shared physical line out of the village, it will only serve as backup if there is a problem at the TOT servers - if somebody damages the cable as happened last year, that's that.

I have an iPhone on True 3G network, but where I live the signal strength fluctuates and I often end up with Edge instead of 3G. I'll need to check how AIS and TOT are in this regard.

True does have a cable version here on Phuket. You get internet using a cable modem with a splitter to isolate the TV signal.

With any of the ISPs you can plug the output from their modem into a network switch to get multiple connections. Plugging into a router is much better because you get the multiple connection capability as well as better security (activated the WPA) and wireless (need to have router with wireless capability).

Thanks for all the pointers.

I will have to persist with my questions at the True shop until I get answers that make sense. First will be does True have cable TV in my village, something which I doubt but I may be wrong. If not, then it's the ADSL option, which I will have to re-confirm with the rep.

TOT is getting hopeless here - just had a 2 second power outage (no UPS) and no work lost, but it took 2 attempts before I could re-connect to TOT.