Serviced Apartment Advice

JasperWilson

Hello im sorry if this is another one of those 'i NEED a serviced apartment' type threads but im really quite worried that i get it all wrong and i end up in a place that wont do me and im stuck to the contract and my internet business goes down the drain.

Ive been in Chiang Mai on and off (with extended visa runs) for about 3 months now. Ive been staying in hotels and guesthouses. this is quite handy for me as i can check out the internet before commiting myself to any longer period of time. I run 2 or 3 websites and i need to browse the net quite quickly so the internet speed is a concern to me. Also i have to speak with clients on skype so i need it to be stable. I suppose you get my drift im just after good internet. I put this before location even as i wont be going out much.

I suppose im asking do you know any serviced apartments below 10k pm with decent internet? Failing that would it be possible do you think for me to pay for one night in these places to check out the internet? Let me go see some possibilities....(all suggestions welcome thanks)

<a href="http://www.galarethong.com/room_rates.html">http://www.galarethong.com/room_rates.html</a> - slow internet ive read on these fourms so no go

ah i see these places offering daily rates. that answers my 2nd question i suppose. thats good. I suppose that answers all my questions really as i can find out for myself. That said if anyone knows of any sub 10k serviced apartments with fast stable internet then it would save me a hell of a lot of work. all help appreciated.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Edited by JasperWilson

First of all, there is no such thing as wonderful and reliable internet in serviced apartments. Sometimes it is good, and most of the time it is slow and lousy or simply not working.

If you are staying for some length of time in a serviced apartment and want your own independent line why don't you ask the management of the serviced apartment if you can have your own service installed, and take a contract out with one of the providers.

Even if you have high speed there are times when it is slow and the internet lines are down.

Try Smith Residence the internet sevice was reliable during my stay. We had a few down days but for the 3 months was up at least 99 percent of time. Room 7,000baht plus elect and water and can pay month to month. Locate south of Chiang Mai Gate very clean and well run.

Wow thanks Moe. Thats just what i was after. I understand what you are saying shepsel and i appreciate the advice. I know thai internet aint 100% but i have found some to be not to bad. Just after some folks experiences in the matter and it looks like Moe could well have come through for me. Everything you have mentioned about Smith Residence sounds good to me Moe. Im initially just after a month seeing how things go but its more than likely ill be staying on till christmas. I will go and check it out and thanks again. Saved me a lot of legwork tomorrow i think.

If anyone else has any other suggestions then i would still be interested. thanks

Thanks TM. Truth be told ive spent the last 2 hours going through the forum looking at serviced apartment request threads and also ones on mobile internet. Truth be told im still none the wiser really :( I was thinking that if i could go mobile (on laptop as a ladyboy stole my 3g phone in pattaya. actually woke up in bed with 3 ladyboys but thats another story and thats me with the drink) My laptop is a HP Probook4320s and it has a slot for one of them GOBI WWAN cards. I dont know if i could buy one in Chiang Mai to save on a dongle but again i think thats something for another thread. If you dont mind me asking how would an aircard work for my laptop and would it be pretty stable? I aint bothered about speeds etc just more to do with reliability. I understand it's thailand etc and i aint expecting it to be great. I think if i can cut myself off from relying on accomodation wifi and internet then i could find something much easier.

Regarding Serviced Apartments (or any apartment or hotel or guesthouse) Moe's choice does seem to be the best for me so far from what i can gather. Im starting to see that the electricity bill could be a problem for me and thats why ive spent the night with the aircon off to try and get used to it. Im due to check out of this place im in (Yindee guesthouse - very good internet, even been watching some bbc iplayer with no probs) actually this place is 15k a month. you think that when i include electricity etc at the smithsresidence there wont be much differance in the price?

Thanks

Does anyone have any thoughts on Chiang Mai Lodge?

http://www.chiangmailodge.net/?name=roomrate

Area isnt really a problem for me. Ill go send them an email about their internet. theyre bound to tell me its fast and reliable lol

This place appears to have good wifi

http://www.banilah.com/rate.htm

Ive emailed them about a monthly rate. I will need to ask them if their internet really does stop at 10pm as was claimed somewhere.

Emailed this mob too about monthly rates

http://www.finlayscottage.com/bedrooms-and-rates.html

I know i aint talking about serviced apartments now but i hope my findings will help someone else as well as me. I have to check out in about 3hrs so i better go keep at it.

I have pretty reliable internet at home, but even still on occasions it drops. I just plug my aircard in an it usually makes do until the main internet comes back, its not as quick as a fixed line but you can work with it and ive used it with skype without problems. I have a AIS Super 3G Aircard which cost me 2700thb when I first got it and I got 50 hours a month free for the first 6 months. Now it cost me 150thb for 50 hours of internet per month. I never get anywhere near using that time but its good to always have the back up and for 150thb a month its a good price.

Is an aircard just the same as a dongle TM? If so then i think i should purchase one, as back up, as you say. Once i find a place to stay i will know what area of town im in and then you'll probably hear back from me on the forum asking about coverage etc. Im still rushing about trying to find a place to stay for the month. Mpoe's suggestion is the best so far but i am trying to avoid paying deposits as i would rather have the money to spend whilst im in thailand rather than when i plan to leave. If it comes to it though it might be the way forward. Im a bit worried about the lecky bill too as im a bit of an aircon freak :(

Ive got a great search on google which is turning up some options for me-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=chiang+mai+fast+wifi#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=chiang+mai+%22fast+wifi%22+trip+advisor&pbx=1&oq=chiang+mai+%22fast+wifi%22+trip+advisor&aq=f&aqi=q-n1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1745789l1752202l1l1753347l13l13l0l0l0l1l1887l16455l5-1.0.6.5l12l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=73d4a0b2ffe0e558&biw=1366&bih=638

Im hoping i can find a place nearby which i can go to when i leave here in a couple of hours and see what the wifi speeds etc are like. I will report back my finding though for other internet junkies who want to live on a budget in Chaing Mai.

hey

im in the same situation, i need a condo w/ good internet connection. afaik smith residence seems to be good, but id like to prefer something more to the west and a bigger swimmingpool. would be really great if u can let me know here if u find something. price doesnt really matter. im also gonna do some test stays for a night at places. i used to live at greenhill about half a year ago, and the internet was as good as non-existent. i also have a bad experience from staying at hillside 4 for 3 months, internet puts u back in the 90s.

im using 2 aircards but its just not stable enough for me.

Is an aircard just the same as a dongle TM? If so then i think i should purchase one, as back up, as you say. Once i find a place to stay i will know what area of town im in and then you'll probably hear back from me on the forum asking about coverage etc. Im still rushing about trying to find a place to stay for the month. Mpoe's suggestion is the best so far but i am trying to avoid paying deposits as i would rather have the money to spend whilst im in thailand rather than when i plan to leave. If it comes to it though it might be the way forward. Im a bit worried about the lecky bill too as im a bit of an aircon freak :(

Ive got a great search on google which is turning up some options for me-

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=chiang+mai+fast+wifi#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=chiang+mai+%22fast+wifi%22+trip+advisor&pbx=1&oq=chiang+mai+%22fast+wifi%22+trip+advisor&aq=f&aqi=q-n1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1745789l1752202l1l1753347l13l13l0l0l0l1l1887l16455l5-1.0.6.5l12l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=73d4a0b2ffe0e558&biw=1366&bih=638

Im hoping i can find a place nearby which i can go to when i leave here in a couple of hours and see what the wifi speeds etc are like. I will report back my finding though for other internet junkies who want to live on a budget in Chaing Mai.

Excellent Internet at Viang Bua Mansion, get around 8 Mpbs download. Only been down once in the month I have been here.

I have 3G on iPhone4, could run Internet through that in an emergency, but never needed to yet.

Aircard would work as well as 3G back-up if you don't have phone to do it, but again, probably not necessary, and a waste of money in that case.

You have to pay a deposit here though, but just a single month, not the 2 months other places want.

Edited by pete66

Thanks Pete. Ive been looking at the place youve mentioned a few times. I think it's outwith my budget. Truth be told i have £800 to my name and a return ticket booked for xmas eve. Ive been running bad at the poker and will need to turn it around. If i dont manage to do so after this month then im gonna count my loses and just go home (ps it was all true about my website and speaking to clients etc. i wasnt a front for my poker playing honest guv lol ) I just realised it was silly me paying daily rates in cheap hotels and was wanting to look for a monthly rate.Possibly my last month. £800 will cover me for living simply as ive even stopped going out on the booze the last 3 weeks. Me and Hong Thong have become pals but its destroying me. I look like Lon Chaney Junior in The Phantom of the Opera.

Regarding 3g etc i was thinking of maybe getting a cheap phone. Even better a GOBI card but i think thats out my reach a bit too. I think im just gonna have to keep on seeking out decent wifi in cheap hotels. Moe's Smith Residence is looking good again at the price. Does this mean that they want 3 months money in total?

Payment upon check in date = The first and one month advanced rental fee plus one month security deposit (Refundable)

If so then i aint too kean on tying up 2 months rent really. I'd rather have that money now either working for me or spending it on drink and thai women before i go home. Also the electricity will need to be figured. Granted it will just come out my deposit but now im starting to wonder if i just go a bit down market more and pay upfront and just take the month as it comes.

Thanks for the input FMFK. I aint so sure anything ive been looking at would suit you if price is no object. If only my AK had stood up v QQ last night then i could have said the same :( I'll let you know if i happen to come across anything that suits your needs though.

Just got this decent email back from this guesthouse. Ill go check out their links but ive a feeling ive already looked at them all 5 times before.

Really sorry to inform you that we don't have montly rate for all types of our room. If you prefer to stay for a month or more than 1 month, we recommend you to stay in service apartment better coz it's more cheap and more conveneint for your long stay. Please kindly check all links as below and keep for your reference.

http://www.emporiumchiangmai.com/index.html

http://www.huaykaewresidence.com/

http://www.viangbuamansion-chiangmai.com/

http://www.chiangmailodge.net/

If you prefer to stay at Banilah, we'll give you 10% discount for every type of room for long stay but as we informed you that you stay in service apartment maybe it makes you more comfortable and save than you stay in guesthouse. So, please kindly check your sitaution and confirm us again.

Best Regards,

Banilah

Crikey, with the women, Hong Thong, Poker, Ladyboys, you'd certainly liven up the old Viang Bua !!

I bet if you stayed off all of the above you could afford to stay at the Ritz :)

That first link they offered seems ok

http://www.emporiumchiangmai.com/room-rate.html

Not a part of town i know although i did wake up drunk one morning at the university and someone had stolen my hat off me. I was glad to lose it truth be told as the thais showed too much interst in my hand made brown leather fedora. Yes i miss it. I'll email them about internet & deposits etc. Just 6b for the electricity too. Does anyone have any knowledge of them?

thanks

I dont know if any of these are any good for you FMFK. All a bit above my price range.

The Grand Napat

70/1 Muendamprakot Road, Changphuk

Shutimol Residence

141-145, Loi Khor Road, Chang Klan

P.T. Residence Co Ltd

51, Sirimangkalajarn Road, Suthep

Suandok Mansion

74, Sirimangkalajarn Road, Suthep

Gerard Habitat

2/8, Nimmanhaemin Road, Soi 3, Suthep

The Empire Residence Nimman

22/3, Nimmanhaemin Road, Soi 6, Suthep

The Airport Greenery - Chiang Mai

185/28, Tippanate Road

Jade Tower Apartments - Chiang Mai

Chang Klan Road, Chang Klan

The Residence - Chiang Mai

156/81, Chonpratan Road (Canal Road), Suthep

Jomkwan Mansion - Chiang Mai

130/14, Chonpratan Road (Canal Road), Suthep

DD Park - Chiang Mai

248/99, Saha Sri Phum Place, Manee Nopparat Road

Lanna III - Chiang Mai

57, Huay Kaew Road, Changpuak

The Dome Residence - Chiang Mai

Huay Kaew Road, Changpuak, Soi Plub Pueng

Chiang Mai Lodge

Ratchaphuek Road, Changpuak

Chiang Mai Residence

Manee Nopparat Road

edit: soz i only got half way down the list before giving up

This mob have just got back to me-

http://www.elegantlanna.com/

If i can put up with the noise from Spiceys (i can as its as close to going out as i will get this month) and the mosquitoes (i cant) i can stay there everything included for 8500 baht.

Our monthly rate is 8,500 Baht/month no breakfast , but all of facilities fee, such as Electric city and water are included with the monthly charge. All room come with air-con , fan ,en-suit bathroom , hot shower , free wireless network , refrigerator, cable TV 60 channel.

Might just be my easiest option. It's just round the corner from where i am and i suppose i'll need to start getting myself together in an hour. Actually make that half an hour as ive only 2 cigs left.

Edited by JasperWilson

Sorry Pete i missed you there in my manic search for somewhere to stay. I came away 3 months ago from Scotland as cigs where 350 baht a pack. I worked out that i could come to SE Asia and smoke 40 a day and spend the rest on a guesthouse. If i start smoking 60 a day i will actually be saving money before i even wake up each day lol I got a wee win at the poker and after a few weeks in Pattaya,Saigon and Vang Vieng Ive generally been using Chiang Mai as a base. I dont want to travel no more as i need to buckle down with my game an start winning again. Im just gonna see how long i can stay in Chiang Mai till i lose what i have left. Im pretty confident of staying on till my xmas return. I'll sort it out.

Oh! and for the record I DONT LIKE LADYBOYS!!!!! honest. Even my mum doesnt believe me. It was a long night and i ended up on pattaya beach with some locals drinking Hong Thong and having a wee smoke etc. By the time it was midday i didnt know where i was. I woke up 6 hours later in a pit of ladyboys. My willie wasnt red and my arse wasnt sore. I just got out of there as quick as i could. My phone was no longer in my pocket but that was the least of my concerns :(

Just for resolution's sake im actually heading back to the New Mitrapap hotel for a couple of weeks. Im just gonna take a fan room 230 baht a night. At least it's clean and the wifi isnt too bad. I will check out the forum a bit more though and seee whos playing poker and maybe get a chance to discuss my game with them.

thanks for all the help chaps. Captain kirk!!!!!

For the record i stayed at the Elegant Lanna Boutique guesthouse last night and it was awfull. Ive been bitten to hell all over by mossies and the internet was Cambodian style internet. An awfull night. It's enough to turn me to drink so Chang in a cafe i know till check in time is the order of the day. Hope they have rooms. It's like me and my ex women really. I do all i can to get away from them and then find out ive made a mistake and they dont want me back :(

I think the best bet for you would to be the wireless dongle(so called 3G). The usb stick costs about 2000B and the service can be monthly or pre-paid and is offered by all the major phone providers. You should have a fairly good connections anywhere in the 'city of Chiang Mai'. Not so sure about reliability outside the city. This will also allow you to be a bit more mobile as well. The other option is to find the smaller 'mom & pop' places that have a strong internet line coming into their building. Unfortunatley, they are harder to find as they do not always have websites.

Try taking a trip to Airport plaza, 3rd floor, and ask about the wireless(CDMA, 3G, whatever) they offer.

• 3 weeks later...

I've stayed at View Doi Mansion near Santitham for a while and it's fine. I have my own dedicated connection which is awesome, but the free wifi is good too.

Friends have also stayed at the Emporium around the corner and have run internet businesses from there without any problems. Both places are 5000 B per month.

I've stayed at View Doi Mansion near Santitham for a while and it's fine. I have my own dedicated connection which is awesome, but the free wifi is good too.

Friends have also stayed at the Emporium around the corner and have run internet businesses from there without any problems. Both places are 5000 B per month.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will move to one of these 2 early Sept :)