Bicycles And Cycling In Thailand

My Retirement Visa has finally been granted and I will arrive soon. I haven't decided where to live and may have a look at the usual suspects once again before I settle. I mean Bangkok, Phuket, Chang Mai and Pattaya; all of which I have visited on holiday.

The existence of Expat Clubs appeals to me as I like to be sociable and will probably need lots of advice and support from people already established in LOS.

One of my hobbies is leisure cycling and I am wondering whether to bring one of my much loved bikes with me.

The questions that need answering are: Q1. are any of the places I mentioned as a base actually suitable for cycling? Q2. Do any leisure cycling groups exist and meet regularly? Q3. Would it be sensible to bring a valuable (worth 140,000 baht) bike with me or should I just buy a cheap MTB locally? Q4. Are there any cyclists out there who want to pm me?

(Yes. I am English, its yet another English vice; wearing trouser clips and loving bicycles. Lycra wearers are a different type of rider called 'roadies'. I imagine this post will cause puzzlement in the minds of people from certain countries).

My Retirement Visa has finally been granted and I will arrive soon. I haven't decided where to live and may have a look at the usual suspects once again before I settle. I mean Bangkok, Phuket, Chang Mai and Pattaya; all of which I have visited on holiday.

The existence of Expat Clubs appeals to me as I like to be sociable and will probably need lots of advice and support from people already established in LOS.

One of my  hobbies is leisure cycling and I am wondering whether to bring one of my much loved bikes with me.

The questions that need answering are: Q1. are any of the places I mentioned as a base actually suitable for cycling?  Q2.  Do any leisure cycling groups exist and meet regularly?  Q3.  Would it be sensible to bring a valuable (worth 140,000 baht) bike with me or should I just buy a cheap MTB locally?  Q4.  Are there any cyclists out there who want to pm me?

(Yes. I am English, its yet another English vice; wearing trouser clips and loving bicycles. Lycra wearers are a different type of rider called 'roadies'.  I imagine this post will cause puzzlement in the minds of people from certain countries).

In the places you mentioned, there maybe cycle clubs, but I have never had the impression, cycling has any positive support from farangs.

However I do know there is quite a lot of cycling around the old capitol of Sukkothai. Surrounding some of the ancient sites are many bicycle shops where you can hire bikes. We actually bought three bikes, from one of these shops, for about 900 bhat for the three - strong and sturdy for the rough roads.

I couldn't recommend you coming with an expensive bike - or anything else expensive - there are many advantages in not advertising your wealth too much.

One of my  hobbies is leisure cycling and I am wondering whether to bring one of my much loved bikes with me.

The questions that need answering are: Q1. are any of the places I mentioned as a base actually suitable for cycling?  Q2.  Do any leisure cycling groups exist and meet regularly?   Q3.  Would it be sensible to bring a valuable (worth 140,000 baht) bike with me or should I just buy a cheap MTB locally?   Q4.  Are there any cyclists out there who want to pm me?

(Yes. I am English, its yet another English vice; wearing trouser clips and loving bicycles. Lycra wearers are a different type of rider called 'roadies'.  I imagine this post will cause puzzlement in the minds of people from certain countries).

In the places you mentioned, there maybe cycle clubs, but I have never had the impression, cycling has any positive support from farangs.

However I do know there is quite a lot of cycling around the old capitol of Sukkothai. Surrounding some of the ancient sites are many bicycle shops where you can hire bikes. We actually bought three bikes, from one of these shops, for about 900 bhat for the three - strong and sturdy for the rough roads.

I couldn't recommend you coming with an expensive bike - or anything else expensive - there are many advantages in not advertising your wealth too much.

Search the Chiang Rai forum, bicycling seems to be big up there.

I used to be a keen cyclist back in the UK and have just started again after a very long time.

I found it impossible to cycle in residential areas becuase of the number of soi dogs who "attack" you when riding alone. Now that I have moved into the sticks the problem has disappeared.

Bikes info available here

http://www.la-bicycle.com/mtb.asp

http://www.thai-chains.com/Products/produc...%CA%AB%D5%C2%EC

http://www.probike.co.th/v2/bikes.php

http://www.fatfreebike.com/

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...ntryTH%26sa%3DG

One thing I have found is that bicycle tools are impossible to buy here so even if you do not bring your own bike then bring any tools that you might need.

Limbo is runs a bike club up in chiang rai , he can give you a lot more info so PM him. He won't bite you.

Personally I would not want to live anywhere flat if cycling was my hobby, so head for the hills.

Bangkok might not be a great place to cycle, but if you are based in Bangkok, there are plenty of places within a couple of hours drive from the city. If the mountains are your thing, then Khao Yai National Park is reachable in less than 2 hours.

If it isn't going to be a much of a hassle to bring your MTB with you, then you should bring it. There are plenty of cheap bikes available in Thailand, but you will get the quality of what you pay for. I have been cycling a few times in Thailand but I've had to borrow gear as I can't afford to by the decent quality of equipment.

There are plenty of regular cycling events held throughout Thailand. I'm sure if you dig deep enough you will find the info you are looking for.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I have had some fun following up the various links suggested. There is a lot more cycling going on than I had realised from my holidays in Bangkok and the tourist resorts. I imagine the life expectancy of a Bangkok cyclist is severely reduced but I had never thought about soi dogs and their propensity to attack passing cyclists. Its a hazard in the UK too but usually without the possibility of rabies infection.

Bikehashing is a new idea to me and looks like great fun. My only doubt is whether or not I am fit enough to keep up in the heat. The various pictures seem to show ultra fit participants.

Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai both look good for biking but I like to live by the sea and will probably check out island or coastal locations before settling so far inland.

Thanks to everyone who replied. 

I have had some fun following up the various links suggested.  There is a lot more cycling going on than I had realised from my holidays in Bangkok and the tourist resorts.  I imagine the life expectancy of a Bangkok cyclist is severely reduced but I had never thought about soi dogs and their propensity to attack passing cyclists.  Its a hazard in the UK too but usually without the possibility of rabies infection.

Bikehashing is a new idea to me and looks like great fun. My only doubt is whether or not I am fit enough to keep up in the heat. The various pictures seem to show ultra fit participants.

Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai both look good for biking but I like to live by the sea and will probably check out island or coastal locations before settling so far inland.

The bike hash is great fun, and a good way to meet new people. The participants are all at different levels of fitness, so no need to be superfit to join.

As for soi dogs, or any dogs for that matter, I usually have a slingshot in my belt and a couple of pebbles in my pockets - let one fly, and the dog(s) will back off. Never managed to hit one yet, but they certainly know what you're up to.

If approached by dogs while on foot, pretend to pick up a stone - they will back off!

I live in Korat and bike regularly around here. Plenty of empty agricultural and other back roads to explore. I've also biked in the Hua Hin/Cha Am area and have found plenty of excellent biking roads and trails there as well.

When I first arrived (April) I was unable to find a decent bike in my size (21" frame) so bought one of the higher-end LA-Bicycle mountain bikes. The frame was still too small, but it worked in a pinch.

Pro-Bike in Bangkok finally got some large frame sizes in so I bought a Trek 4300 mountain bike. I think it cost about 13,000 baht. I would have preferred a hybrid bike, but the chance of getting one in my frame size seemed to be slim. (For some reason Pro-Bike doesn't get them in and declined to order.)

The 4300 has front-fork suspension. I have mud guards and a carrier on it; both of which have turned out to be much needed.

I'm happy with the bike. It's held up well and gets me around with ease. I do wish it had a higher top end gear, but one learns to make compromises.

If it were me, I'd hesitate to bring a super-high end bike right away. Get a less expensive one. See if the riding suits you and if you really need something so expensive. You can always get one later if you feel you need it.

ProBike in Bangkok has anything and everything you might need, including most tools. Chiang Mai also has several bike shops but not the same variety of bikes or accessories.

There are plenty of riders in the Chiang Mai area -- everything from casual riders to serious roadies and mountain bikers. (I fall into the serious roadie category) There's lots of roads to choose from, from totally flat to endless climbs. I'm not a beach person so I can't comment on the riding down south. I'll be in CM from 2 November thru 31 March. I chose to spend my five months in CM mostly because of the riding conditions.

I wouldn't bother bringing a 14,000 baht bike. The airlines will likely charge you 3,000-4,000 baht to fly it over. You can pick up that quality bike easily in Bangkok, unless you're a very odd size. A Trek 4500 goes for about that amount.

By the way, 14,000 baht is not an "expensive" bike. I'm leaving my 200,000 baht bike home, but I am bringing my 120,000 baht road bike.

There are plenty of riders in the Chiang Mai area -- everything from casual riders to serious roadies and mountain bikers. (I fall into the serious roadie category)

Thanks for the advice. I have been very pleased to discover how much biking goes on in the various provinces.

Actually my own most ridden bike is a Moulton and my riding style could best be described as 'tea pot cruising'. ie gentle rides from cyclist's cafe to cafe with the emphasis on the social side and route scenery not on the speed or getting anywhere in particular.

Moultons are fully suspended with small wheels and appeal to a minority group of people who generally love them with irrational fervour.

They didn't use to get stolen much as the bad guys thought they were cheap shopping bikes and didn't realise what they cost. (The current top model lists at five thousand pounds). They also thought that the riders looked like circus clowns.

More recently the growth in bike commuting in London and other cities has made them a hot target for bike thieves. Sad to see that they are often listed on EBay together with Brompton folders and sometimes offered for one day sale at dodgy locations.

If anyone is interested a good starting point is www.foldsoc.co.uk with its links to various groups and clubs like the Moultoneers.

I won't be bringing it and will probably buy a Trek as suggested. Treks are generally good bikes IMHO If they offer the Trek folders which are reworked Dahons, I could easily be diverted to one of them too. Schwin Cruisers can also make me go weak at the knees.

Bike enthusiasm can be an expensive affliction. A pal of mine in the UK had managed to accumulate over 60 Vintage cycles. He had an early example of nearly all bicycle innovations. As I'm sure everyone knows; there is nothing new in cycle design.

As you are a serious roadie the only times we are likely to meet is as you whizz past me on the road or at the final destination. :o

Good cycling everyone.

If you take half the precautions you would take in the US or UK, there's little chance of having your bike stolen in Thailand.

I'm familiar with Moultons. It was my dream bike a few years, especially after someone finished the Race Across America on one.

I'd have 60 or more bikes too, but the 7th or 8th one would be in trade for my wife. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Happy cycling wherever you wind up. We'll share a beer at the finish.

Thanks Jai Dee.

Yes I for one am very interested having done similar charity events in Europe.

Is there a www site for it?  I can't read the Thai script link in the article.

It could be a lot of fun.

If I find any further info on it I'll keep you posted.

:o

• 1 year later...

One of my hobbies is leisure cycling and I am wondering whether to bring one of my much loved bikes with me.

The questions that need answering are: Q1. are any of the places I mentioned as a base actually suitable for cycling? Q2. Do any leisure cycling groups exist and meet regularly? Q3. Would it be sensible to bring a valuable (worth 140,000 baht) bike with me or should I just buy a cheap MTB locally? Q4. Are there any cyclists out there who want to pm me?

(Yes. I am English, its yet another English vice; wearing trouser clips and loving bicycles. Lycra wearers are a different type of rider called 'roadies'. I imagine this post will cause puzzlement in the minds of people from certain countries).

Didn't know i was a roadie, thought i was a gen cyclist :o

Didn't know i was a roadie, thought i was a gen cyclist :o

I never venture out on my bike without lycra and i am most certainly not a "roady". Perhaps it's just a fetish but at least it's a healthy one!

• 2 weeks later...

I bike daily in Bkk.

My favorite route is Yaowarat-Pak Khlong Talad-Sanam Luang-Samsen-Nonthaburi and back. It's about 50-60 kms.

But I average 25 km daily just cruising around town. It takes a little getting used to, but then you realize that it's very doable.

1. Always be wary of busses, taxis and tuk tuks. They will stop without warning and cut you off.

2. Always wear a helmet and gloves.

3. Try to maintain a decent speed, around 20-25 km/hr, like a slow motorcycle.

4. Stay in the middle of the road and not the side, whenever possible.

5. Don't worry about soi dogs, just ride a little faster and they will give up chasing you.

6. Outfit your bike with front and rear lights.  Can be bought very cheaply in Khlong Thom market.

7. Buy a mountain bike and change the offroad tires to street/dirt tires. Minimum size   26x1.95

8. Use mud guard/fenders for the rainy season.  

Good Luck to you all

Stay Safe

Edited by pampal

In addition to pampal's post, I would add

9) Wear bright coloured clothing - See and be seen.

10) Pump tyres up to maximum as stated on the tyre - buy yourself a track pump that has a pressure gauge on it.

11) Be courteous to other road users at all times.

12) Keep off the pavement/sidewalk - they are for pedestrians!

13) Ride with confidence - not over confidence. If you are not confident, build up your confidence in sois

14) Make right turns in plenty of time and always check behind you before signalling and moving out.

• 2 months later...

I have flown in and out with road bikes, in cases, four times in the last five years, either on Thai Air or United and have never been charged anything, as long as the bike case is your second piece of luggage, even though it is oversized. You just have to tell the desk agent it is a bicycle. I think there is some ICAO regulation that says bikes and golf clubs are not charged as excess baggage, as long as declared as such. A Thai Customs guy did ask me once on my way into BKK, what was in the box. When I told him a bicycle/jakian, he just smiled and waved me through.

re having a high-end bike in country, there is no reason not to bring it. I have brought in two high end bikes that I keep at home (plus one I travel with here in the US). I have had no problem with them service-wise or theft wise. I do keep them inside the house though. You won't have any problem getting them worked on if you can get to Bangkok.

I mostly ride up country in Isaan and have, with maybe one minor exception, good experiences with road bikes. Many of the roads have decent sized shoulders. They have their share of bad surfaced roads too, but even cars have to endure them as well. If you are not used to riding in Bangkok, it is not a good place to start riding for the feint of heart. No matter where you are in Thailand. Also, if you have an incident with a car, many drivers (despite the ins stickers in the windshields) will not have insurance that is of practical use for you. No matter where you are limit night time riding. Too much alcohol out there.

Wear a helmet always and have your own insurance info on your body. Plus write down several local and intl contact numbers and carry them in your wallet. Just in case you are unconcious. Believe it or not, there are plenty of good samaritans out there who will come to your aid.

• 1 month later...
No matter where you are limit night time riding. Too much alcohol out there.

Wear a helmet always and have your own insurance info on your body. Plus write down several local and intl contact numbers and carry them in your wallet. Just in case you are unconcious. Believe it or not, there are plenty of good samaritans out there who will come to your aid.

Now that is good advice.

In addition to pampal's post, I would add

9) Wear bright coloured clothing - See and be seen.

10) Pump tyres up to maximum as stated on the tyre - buy yourself a track pump that has a pressure gauge on it.

11) Be courteous to other road users at all times.

12) Keep off the pavement/sidewalk - they are for pedestrians!

13) Ride with confidence - not over confidence. If you are not confident, build up your confidence in sois

14) Make right turns in plenty of time and always check behind you before signalling and moving out.

All good points

thx Mr_Hippo

• 2 months later...

Now that is good advice.

Get advice, i think i might get that list together today :o I've been riding 20-30 per day with nothing on my except for my Australian Drivers license.

• 9 months later...

Now that is good advice.

Get advice, i think i might get that list together today :o I've been riding 20-30 per day with nothing on my except for my Australian Drivers license.

Like the original poster I am moving to Thailand. We are going to Hang Dong, Chiang Mai. In the UK I still ride 200-300km a week and my habit will not change in Thailand. However, I am interested in using the Chiang Mai velodrome (How?), and trying to get kids on bikes so that my 9-year old can continue with his cycling. In the UK the Go Ride scheme has been hugely successful over the years of bringing kids into the sport and one reason why we had so much success at Beijing. I want to make contact with as many cyclists inThailand as possible. I am not interested in 20k rides unless it is done with youngsters - or touring rides with cameras. I am talking Roadie and Trackie cycling here or training with Triathletes. The other possibility is organising Time Trials (16k, 40k) which would be great for t riathletes to use as training. Feedback please!

One thing I have found is that bicycle tools are impossible to buy here so even if you do not bring your own bike then bring any tools that you might need.

Probike and the bicycle shops in Thanon Worachak have every bicycle tool that you can imagine. They sell Park tools as well as Wrench Force. Good tools and good prices. It's all available here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I bike daily in Bkk.

Always wear a helmet and gloves.

I live in a hilly area around Chiang Mai. I'm lucky enough to have my factory located 7 km from home.

I enjoy biking to work mostly that I use countryside little roads (in average I cross 2 cars per journey!).

I had a simple question: is a helmet mandatory by law in Thailand?

I'm puzzled to see 100% of the bikers on the major roads of CM wearing one. Puzzled because when it's about driving a car or a motorbike it's a complete anarchy but then, for bicycle, what a discipline!

Frankly, due to the lack of traffic on my itinerary, I'd rather avoid it even if I know "it may happen anywhere". A matter of statistics.

Hi,

I am also a retired UK cyclist living in BKK - I bought mine here - a Trek from probike - I also have a Taiwanese folding bike in Pattaya. Cycling is not easy in BKK but still possible - I do a route from Lumpini Park to Queen Sirikit park (dedicated cycle lanes) and the route I take involves almost no road riding - I could show you one day. There is also the railway park dedicated to cyclists neat Mo Chit. For a day trip you need go no further than Prapadang (Bang Kra Chao) across the river. I have a series of cycle routes around BKK.

I am also a member of the Thailand Cycling Club (TCC) - do a Google on it - the schedule is in English - it's a good social thing if you want to meet educated Thais, as there are not that many farang members who cycle regularly, and they often do charity work involving fixing 2nd hand bikes for rural schoolkids and combine this with trips to schools. They sometimes go as far as Vietnam and often do 1 day trips around BKK. It's a great way to see places you would never get to see otherwise.

I went on the Tour de Thailand once - you can join for 1 day if you want.

pm me if you want further info.