True'S Best Areas In Bangkok

jaytrading

I've been reading these internet forums and it seem a key factor in being one of the lucky ones with good True internet service is tied to being in

"the right place," i.e. an apartment building or so, or area where there are up to date True connections for DSL and perhaps cable internet.

Any "lucky ones" out there, can you share what area you live in, and perhaps what soi or apt. building where you enjoy a fast and reliable True internet connection?

I'm looking to move to Bangkok soon and would like to live along the Sukhumvit track, anywhere from Chitlom down to Thong Lo.

For my business (online trading) I have got to have a solid reliable connection...I expect to have 2 internet connections (True DSL and cable, ideally) to be realistic.

Any help appreciated. I've spent hours searching the net for apt brokers or anyone to shed light on this topic.

One thing more: when True is called to set up internet service in an apt, how long does it generally take for them to do it? In days I mean?

True's new Cable Internet offering seems like it's pretty good. This thread may have some good info for you.

Maybe best to find an apartment building where this service is already available (but maybe not pulled to your target apt, yet), then overlay DSL from True or TOT (which should also be available).

Turning up DSL service, in my experience, can vary from 48 hours to 2 weeks, depending on the current state of premises wiring.

I have been staying in Soi 53 near Thong Lor and have no complaints about True internet. For the money I pay I should expect nothing less than what I get and I do get the advertised download and upload speeds.

There is a coverage map on the True website for cable. I believe we can have it here too.

I might be wrong but for DSL you will have to have and maintain a TOT phone line that you can then install True on top of. The management in our building tried to talk us out of getting True as there was some work they had to do on the wiring downstairs. No idea what the hassles were because it was all discussed in Thai but we got there in under a week.

So, yes internet good...very good actually....... TV and phone is a whole other discussion......

I moved to Muang thong thani because I don't like the tourist areas. The upside of my move is that it has some of the fastest Internet connections available. I had true install a phone line (installation was free) which cost me 104 baht a month and a dsl line for 699 a month? I forget. My service is the fastest I have received in Thailand, I'm on the 7mb plan.

I might be wrong but for DSL you will have to have and maintain a TOT phone line that you can then install True on top of. The management in our building tried to talk us out of getting True as there was some work they had to do on the wiring downstairs. No idea what the hassles were because it was all discussed in Thai but we got there in under a week.

So, yes internet good...very good actually....... TV and phone is a whole other discussion......

I seriously doubt you could get True as your Internet Service Provider ( ISP) over a TOT line and vice versa. Normally, whatever company(s) owns the phone lines in an area is the ISP provider along with some of its internet concessionaires under contact. Ex: like getting JINET as your ISP over a TOT line. But maybe in your building True wanted to get a slice of the customers in your building, but would require some rework in the building's phone/internet "input circuits" in order to handle two different phone/DSL lines throughout the building from two separate phone/internet/cable companies. I also say "cable" companies because if your building currently has TrueVisions cable TV then maybe True has upgrade the cable in your building to include TrueOnline "cable" internet.

Also, maybe your building now can get phone/DSL service from one company and DSL internet service only from another either company....not uncommon to see a company willing to string a DSL line to your residence (if allowed) but they can't/won't offer phone service on the same line. And then again, maybe your building can now get True and/or TOT phone and DSL service...certain areas do have multiple companies providing phone "and" DSL service to the area but generally one company seems to have the upper hand/owns the phone line service.

In my western Bangkok moobaan, TOT owns the phone "and" DSL lines and there are no other companies with phone/DSL lines (like True, 3BB ,etc) in the moobaan/immediate area around the moobaan (nor are other companies allowed to have phone lines in the area from what I've been told). The warload named "TOT" rules in my area!! However, a few months ago True completed installation of a "cable" TV and internet line (no phone service or DSL service) into the moobaan/area and a person now can get TrueOnline 7Mb to 100Mb cable internet; however, you still cannot get True "phone or DSL service." No shortage of certain areas of the country being divided up between the phone/internet companies....companies which act almost like warlords sometimes in protecting their territories.

Nope I'm on DSL not cable. Was originally told no you have to have ToT or 3BB but the wife persevered and we managed to get it, not without some hassle.

We are moving out of town and again the management company in the estate has told us you must get ToT but once you've done that you can install True over the top of it and keep paying the 100b ToT bill every month.

As with everything in TH everything is possible and nothing is a problem BUT its always a hassle to get it done......... my experience anyway

Not possible. If it's a TOT line, impossible to put a DSL onto of that. Confusion might be that their fixed line is a TOT concession and the bill will have TOT and True logo.

Leaving out 02, if the first digit starts with 2,3,4,5 it's TOT, if 6,7,8,9 it's True.

As a note, TOT has only a few local exchanges in BKK , thus alot of copper. True has a multiple of about 100 more ( more fiber close to homes ) so have a technical advantage of Internet speed on copper.