Buying An Iphone In Chiang Mai

ProdigalSon

I'm going to buy an iPhone 4 in Chiang Mai and wanted to hear people's thoughts/experiences on which network would be the best; True/DTAC/AIS

By the best, I mean reliability/coverage of 3G service and package price per month (free call minutes/SMS/Internet, etc.)

Thanks in advance :-)

I have an Iphone4 and I would say forget Dtac because of delays when sending SMS and MMS.

On my other phones, I have had AIS for 15 years and never had any problem :)

I am quite happy with my True subscription.

It's 599 a month with 300 hours talk, 300 SMS and 50 mms included. Also all Internet usage is free weather on 3G or a wifi hot spot so you can use and Download apps freely without worrying about cost.

That sounds good.. I think I'm finally moving to True now from AIS. Just the arguing with AIS over all kinds of roaming and Internet charges isn't worth it.

Imagine getting a bill for like 6000 baht, then having to argue with them to finally bring it down to 900 or so. :bah:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It's 599 a month with 300 hours talk, 300 SMS and 50 mms included. Also all Internet usage is free weather on 3G or a wifi hot spot so you can use and Download apps freely without worrying about cost.

Are you sure that's 300 HOURS? If so that's quite a deal. Do you need to have a True sim card or will my sim card from AIS work?

I still use a 10 year old plus Nokia which for me is OK but getting a few calls lately from some student/friends(who stayed with us ) asking me to go down to our local apple joint in Covant Garden and order them the new "5s"

Quick check tells me....

The iPhone 5 and iPgone 4GS built for 4G is COMING in 2011!!!

The all new iphone 5 and iPhone 4GS release date is somewhere in September or October of 2011!

The NEW iPhone 5 or as some call it iPhone 4S has reviewed well.

Lots of speculation is going around on the new iPhone 5... in HD!!

The iPhone 4GS will not be in HD but will be packed with new features. It will contain the newest Apple operating system for iPhone, the iOS 5 :o

Seems that it has been suffering a delayed arrival but must admit that even I am considering the advantage of moving into the 21st C with a "smart phone jobbi"

anyway...Just FYI.... B)

I still use a 10 year old plus Nokia which for me is OK but getting a few calls lately from some student/friends(who stayed with us ) asking me to go down to our local apple joint in Covant Garden and order them the new "5s"

Quick check tells me....

The all new iphone 5 and iPhone 4GS release date is somewhere in September or October of 2011!

The iPhone 4GS will not be in HD but will be packed with new features. It will contain the newest Apple operating system for iPhone, the iOS 5 :o

Seems that it has been suffering a delayed arrival but must admit that even I am considering the advantage of moving into the 21st C with a "smart phone jobbi"

anyway...Just FYI.... B)

Great info. Thanks. Only problem is that 3G speed is still not available nationwide in the LOS (available in Burma though ohmy.gif Unbelievable). So will we ever see 4G in the LOS?

Are you sure that's 300 HOURS? If so that's quite a deal. Do you need to have a True sim card or will my sim card from AIS work?

Ups. You are right of course, 300 minutes or 5 hours in other words.

I'd like to know also - Does one have to purchase a True sim card or will a sim card from another carrier be usable?

I'd like to know also - Does one have to purchase a True sim card or will a sim card from another carrier be usable?

I honestly don't know. I recommend that you visit the True shop in airport plaza and inquire there. Several of the staff speak excellent English so it shouldn't be a problem finding out.

No you don't.

You can buy a True iPhone and use it with any other SIM. You can bring your iPhone from (anywhere) and get True's special iPhone package for 599 / month.

I think AIS is currently a bit more expensive but their 3G coverage and speed in CM is excellent, and they're rolling out nationwide 3G. They also have way better standard coverage than True. I am happy with my True package (same as AndersSN) but AIS seems like the way to go right now. Not sure about their packages though... True free size 599 is a great deal, no question.

Oh and forget about DTAC. No 3G, and weird, expensive internet packages....

I have a DTAC contract, already for a year, 350 minutes calling, 400 sms's 75 mms and unlimited 2G internet for 699 Baht.

They never changed the rules in my case.

I compared my Iphone internet speed, with a friend who has a 3G AIS contract, and it's almost the same speed, it takes me about a second longer to get an other internet page on my phone.

Besides that, in my area, the coverage of AIS is very bad... I have no reception in my house, while with DTAC I have full reception.

Is the obvious or even the only place to buy an iphone from the two Apple shops? Or online?

There's many places you can buy an iPhone from in CM. Virtually every phone shop on the 4th floor in Airport Central Plaza will sell you one.

Quick check tells me....

anyway...Just FYI.... B)

Great info. Thanks. Only problem is that 3G speed is still not available nationwide in the LOS (available in Burma though ohmy.gif Unbelievable). So will we ever see 4G in the LOS?

One day.... :)

I have a Kindle and found on last visit that 3 G connection (free)was good around CM airport and most of the city but out in Mae On I only got very limited EDGE hookup.

When phoning from UK we use VOIP and have a deal which gives us about 600 free minutes (10 euro)which wife uses and even calling the boonies in CM backwaters has very good connectivity.

Re The I Phone 5 our femail Thai students dont realy care... recon it more of a fashion statement and all MPRai stuff......might suggest that I have a IP..6..7..8... :D