Obtaining The Green Book For A Motorbike

HansBlinkers

It may be hard or impossible to get a green book for a bike that doesn't have one. Certainly expensive, in the 50 - 80,000 baht range.

I don't know exactly how it works - stories I heard usually involve favors from somebody somewhere.

Anyway don't buy a bike without a green book. If the seller promises that he will be able to obtain a green book within some time frame for some money, tell him you'll buy the bike after he has it. I've seen many such promises go unfulfilled, green book never materialized.

A bike with green book can be transferred to your name. Both you and the seller need to get to the registration office, and do it together. That's your insurance that the green book will pass official scrutiny, that they don't find something wrong with it.

Edited by nikster

Hi 'hansblinkers' Ok, yes……..Yes………………and don't touch it with a barge pole.

First; "Can I obtain the green book in my own name?" yes, however I think you need to have more than a tourist visa in your passport. It's simple, you buy a vehicle you get the log book, (green book) …………You ask; "also what happens if a bike has none, can I re-register it?" possibly but more than not it will never be worth it, just walk away.

Ok, to change the name to the new owner, ( that's you) take the green book, bill of sale, copy of your passport, house book, (yellow book) or letter of residence, obtained through your embassy to your local licensing office.

Hand over all the paperwork….If you have a sympathetic person dealing with you, I'm sure they will fill in the paper work for you, just sign, leave your book, they will give you a date for collection. Job done……..

One last thing, this is Thailand........There has always been more than one way to skin a cat here. I can see from just the previous post that 'nikster' has had a different experience in changing the name in the log book………..Such is Thailand. Always fall on the side of caution and I would say unless your 100% happy with the doc's your given….I would follow 'nikster's' advice to be safe.

Good luck!

Edited by Tonto21

Does the bike have a plate? Is there a current registration sticker with the bike? Is the seller private or is the bike with a shop? The registration book needs to be with the bike, period. The person who's name is in the book must be present to transfer the registration, or that person (owner) must fill out all necessary documents and include a copy of his ID card and possibly a copy of his house book to accompany the registration book to the Land Transportation Dept. You will need what has been listed by previous posters for yourself before the LTD will allow the transfer.