Red Cross

sierra01

After reading the recent topic about the Red Cross needing blood, I emailed them asking where the nearest place to me was and the times, got a quick reply, chest hospital on Tiwanon road, so went this afternoon. From walking in the door to walking out again it was ok, no problems. Not so modern and high tech as in the UK but they got the job done, in fact it hurt less as I only had one needle stuck in me as opposed to three in the UK!

So if any of you are worried about donating here don’t be, they use single use sterile packs with all the bits needed inside, give your arm a good swabbing, cold drink and a couple of little cakes afterwards and some ferrous sulphate (iron) tabs to boot. I was attended by a young guy; he spoke a bit of English so the chat was about football naturally! He put the big needle in very well, better than some of the Docs I’ve had in the UK do it.

They don’t have a system whereby they email, phone or write reminding you when it’s that time again, so I’ve put it on my calendar. Go on, do it!