Nissan Leaf In Bangkok

Hydrogens problem is a serious safety issue though and it also has the potential to be converted to a very serious bomb threat in the wrong hands so with the current world unrest I think it's highly unlikely to get a really close look for quite some time if ever until it can be properly contained..

Its my understanding all be it an understanding obtained from an article written by James May of Top Gear that Hyrdogen is not much more flammable or dangerous than an equal amount of petrol. After all hydrogen is only really more dangerous than say a truck load of fertilizer and petrol when coupled with a nuclear reaction, in which case if they have nuclear material them obtaining hydrogen is the least of our worries.

Edit: Thanks to high school chemistry and a teacher who thought teaching 14 year olds what chemicals give you the best boom was a good idea (this was in Australia by the way), myself or anyone else from my year 8 chemistry class for that matter can make quite an effective weapon out of goods commonly found at your local 7-11.

Edited by Tarric

Yep. i have research the tax here as well. thailand has no clear tax structure for ev. I guess the owner of eton has incorporated his profit as well. Just digging for this info gives you a headache mate. He brought in the tesla and it will cost about 8.5 million baht, which is exactly the 200% tax, because the tesla is not the top model...

The excise tax for electric vehicles has been clear and concise for several years now - it's 10% excise tax, the same as Hybrids. All other taxes (import, interior and VAT) as per normal.

No research necessary for me, it's part of my job :)

allright. I dont know the tax here very well. but those are the prices stated by eton. anyway, I am going to convert my toyota yaris into an electric car soon.

It's OK - all I was really asking is, do Eton have a way to get them out of Japan with the Japanese gov't incentives in place? - the obvious answer given ETON's pricing is no :)

As for registering a modded vehicle, an engineer's certificate and an inspection down at DLT will do it.

All current markets this car is officially sold in have gov't subsidies in place to make it affordable - and there's no such plans on the table for TH at this time.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hydrogens problem is a serious safety issue though and it also has the potential to be converted to a very serious bomb threat in the wrong hands so with the current world unrest I think it's highly unlikely to get a really close look for quite some time if ever until it can be properly contained..

Its my understanding all be it an understanding obtained from an article written by James May of Top Gear that Hyrdogen is not much more flammable or dangerous than an equal amount of petrol. After all hydrogen is only really more dangerous than say a truck load of fertilizer and petrol when coupled with a nuclear reaction, in which case if they have nuclear material them obtaining hydrogen is the least of our worries.

It's not the Hydrogen in and of itself necessarily but it's explosive potential and the process of conversion that can be abused and with millions of cars running around it would be impossible to regulate or monitor. A truck load of fertilizer in an equivalent explosive package the size of a small fuel can for example is much easier to conceal but with huge explosive potential, reference recent Norway explosion for one example or check out the bombings in Oklahoma and consider those weren't even noticed and they were large vehicles.

Nope, need more world stability and advanced technology to contain it before we see it being used practically in daily applications.. You don't hand a known killer a fresh, shiny, new machine gun and expect them not use it..

Yep. i have research the tax here as well. thailand has no clear tax structure for ev. I guess the owner of eton has incorporated his profit as well. Just digging for this info gives you a headache mate. He brought in the tesla and it will cost about 8.5 million baht, which is exactly the 200% tax, because the tesla is not the top model...

The excise tax for electric vehicles has been clear and concise for several years now - it's 10% excise tax, the same as Hybrids. All other taxes (import, interior and VAT) as per normal.

No research necessary for me, it's part of my job :)

allright. I dont know the tax here very well. but those are the prices stated by eton. anyway, I am going to convert my toyota yaris into an electric car soon.

It's OK - all I was really asking is, do Eton have a way to get them out of Japan with the Japanese gov't incentives in place? - the obvious answer given ETON's pricing is no :)

As for registering a modded vehicle, an engineer's certificate and an inspection down at DLT will do it.

All current markets this car is officially sold in have gov't subsidies in place to make it affordable - and there's no such plans on the table for TH at this time.

aha thanks. That will do the trick. What is DLT? and does that mean i have to convert the car and then go there or go there before i convert the car?

It's not the Hydrogen in and of itself necessarily but it's explosive potential and the process of conversion that can be abused and with millions of cars running around it would be impossible to regulate or monitor. A truck load of fertilizer in an equivalent explosive package the size of a small fuel can for example is much easier to conceal but with huge explosive potential, reference recent Norway explosion for one example or check out the bombings in Oklahoma and consider those weren't even noticed and they were large vehicles.

Nope, need more world stability and advanced technology to contain it before we see it being used practically in daily applications.. You don't hand a known killer a fresh, shiny, new machine gun and expect them not use it..

I doubt we will ever have the stability in the world required to prevent potentially destructive materials ending up in the hands of potential evil doers. With the advent of peak oil and demand growing every day in developing nations hydrogen powered vehicles may be the answer to preventing catastrophic wars over diminishing resources, so it may be a need not a want for hydrogen cars to become the dominant form of personal transport. However if there is a revolution in charging and battery capabilities then the hydrogen car may very well not be required, however the current infrastructure and R&D into those technologys it doesnt seem that likely to me.

Although I think we can all agree that more research and money needs to go into projects like cold fusion so we can actually attempt to acheieve clean and practical energy on a large scale.

I doubt we will ever have the stability in the world required to prevent potentially destructive materials ending up in the hands of potential evil doers. With the advent of peak oil and demand growing every day in developing nations hydrogen powered vehicles may be the answer to preventing catastrophic wars over diminishing resources, so it may be a need not a want for hydrogen cars to become the dominant form of personal transport. However if there is a revolution in charging and battery capabilities then the hydrogen car may very well not be required, however the current infrastructure and R&D into those technologys it doesnt seem that likely to me.

Although I think we can all agree that more research and money needs to go into projects like cold fusion so we can actually attempt to acheieve clean and practical energy on a large scale.

Must agree.

aha thanks. That will do the trick. What is DLT? and does that mean i have to convert the car and then go there or go there before i convert the car?

DLT = Department of Land Transport.

Only need to go see them after it's done - there's no pre-approval/permits necessary, just an engineers assertation (must be a Thai engineer) that you car is safe, and a cursory inspection before editing the details of the car in it's blue book.

Yes i do know the prices for the new solar panels and i was surprised when i read the article myself too. Here it is:

http://www.bangkokpo...solar-solutions

one solar panel at 400 baht is nice. the guy had a bill of 4400 baht per month. a 20,000 baht setup made him slash it by half to 2500 per month. I think that is effective. if you do double that you could essentially go off the grid, especially if you have an electric car.

my bill currently is 2000 baht. his setup would almost get me off the grid. once i have an electric car, just install that double setup and you are set...so 40,000 is needed i guess...

I understand that solar systems can be made quite cheaply, however most of us arent going to messing around with defective solar panels and old car batterys. For the rest of us to put it together safely it would cost as I said a couple of hundred thousand baht. Also being carbon neutral and not having an electricity bill are two very different things in Thailand, if you get the feed in tariff for producing clean energy you get 11bht per kw/h, however buying electricity costs only 3bht per kw/h.

I admire what your trying to do, I really do, but I dont really think its possible with the best of the current solar technology let alone with a bunch of old car batterys and defective panels.

If you drive even 100km per day thats 18.28kw/h of energy you would need a 4.5KW solar power system just to break even, to give you some sort of an idea even with top of the range panels thats 18 panels. Plus the required inverter for selling back power to the grid when you werent charging your car the cost would be quite large the inverter itself costs 150k+ retail, the guys you point out have no such issue as they are just storing the energy in car batterys (which is incredibly dangerous without the proper overcharge and overload protection).

I only point this out because I am in the solar power system industry for a living and I know how expensive this technology is especially in a place like Thailand. However if you've got your heart set on carbon neutrality i'm sure my company could help you out in a couple of months when we start business.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I also know of certain dangers involved. However, rather than doing nothing, I want to show how to become aware of energy usage. This is one step forward that doesnt involve high cost (only for the rich people). A Tesla roadster is only for those that can afford it. I dont have such a budget.

It would be great to work with you. I have a Toyota Yaris and soon will be converting it into an electric car. The conversion has an issue. If I am stuck in traffic, the motors dont regenerate so the alternators dont charge the 12 volt batteries. I need to make a solar roof for the car (similar to my profile picture) so that it can charge the 12 volt batteries. Do you think you can design such a solar panel? It has to have a smooth design the same dimensions as the original metal roof. I know it may be costly, but again, it is for a design perspective and a show piece.

Thanks again

I admire you will to lead by example and by willing to cop the costs that come along with being the first to adopt new technologys.

If you know of a few people interested in roof panels for their vehicles I can ask my supplier if they would be interested in making a limited line of roof based solar panels. I dont think the panel sizing is going to be the issue though, engineering the roof so it accepts the panel without weakening the structure and watertightness of the car is going to be the challenge, I know of some manufacturers in Thailand who make flexible light panels, you could always find some way to affix them flush to the roof with some heavy duty adhesive, the air rushing over the panels would keep them down at high speed especially if you perhaps affixed a small wind deflector.

If you find enough people interested in the flexible panels I could set up some form of group buy for you with a manufacturer I know in Thailand.

Edit: If you can work out the requirements for fitting the panel i'll set what I can do finding a custom sized flat panel.

Great. Thank you so much. As for my mom's Honda Fit Hybrid, same thing is needed. I will try to measure the dimensions of the roofs on each car and send a few pictures too. Do you also need the types of batteries? Also what type of inverter is needed? or is it directly to battery supply? Anway, here is my e-mail: [email protected]. Let me know yours in order to send full details to you.

Thanks

Great. Thank you so much. As for my mom's Honda Fit Hybrid, same thing is needed. I will try to measure the dimensions of the roofs on each car and send a few pictures too. Do you also need the types of batteries? Also what type of inverter is needed? or is it directly to battery supply? Anway, here is my e-mail: [email protected]. Let me know yours in order to send full details to you.

Thanks

I will email you so we can discuss this further :)

but if it is priced at 900,000 baht in thailand, would you buy it?

I'd buy it at 650,000, IF Nissan would also include a tiny combustion engine (CNG, diesel, whatever).

( It'd look pretty ridiculous with a Kubota diesel & generator on the roof. ;) )

The prospect of actually running out in the middle of nowhere is unappealing. But turn it into a 'diesel-electric' then we're talking.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Test drove one, when they first arrived at Eton. Surprise the heck out of me for being so quiet, but acceleration in sport mode was surprisingly fast. Eco mode is as expected, a bit sluggish but when in bangkok it's not really too bad. Won't mind getting one, once they got the supply chain set up for maintainance and parts.

Just wondering though, what would cost more. Petrol for honda Jazz or Electricity for the Leaf, for a month. Is there any comparison done on the net?

What about the cost efficiency of the vehicle? I'm talking about $(fuel)/mth, creature comfort, range, etc. I typically put in at least 200km a week driving, so with the leaf, it's at least 2 full charges, or 1/2 tank of gas in a furtuner (roughly 4baht/km).

I really wish these company with electric cars would give a $/km rating instead of km/L or L/100km or mpg, etc. Forget the petrol equivalent BS, just give the straight $$$ value, much easier to compare then.

but if it is priced at 900,000 baht in thailand, would you buy it?

I'd buy it at 650,000, IF Nissan would also include a tiny combustion engine (CNG, diesel, whatever).

( It'd look pretty ridiculous with a Kubota diesel & generator on the roof. ;) )

The prospect of actually running out in the middle of nowhere is unappealing. But turn it into a 'diesel-electric' then we're talking.

totally. I can imagine the situation too. But then wouldn't it be the same. Might as well go for a better quality hybrids then.

Test drove one, when they first arrived at Eton. Surprise the heck out of me for being so quiet, but acceleration in sport mode was surprisingly fast. Eco mode is as expected, a bit sluggish but when in bangkok it's not really too bad. Won't mind getting one, once they got the supply chain set up for maintainance and parts.

Just wondering though, what would cost more. Petrol for honda Jazz or Electricity for the Leaf, for a month. Is there any comparison done on the net?

What about the cost efficiency of the vehicle? I'm talking about $(fuel)/mth, creature comfort, range, etc. I typically put in at least 200km a week driving, so with the leaf, it's at least 2 full charges, or 1/2 tank of gas in a furtuner (roughly 4baht/km).

I really wish these company with electric cars would give a $/km rating instead of km/L or L/100km or mpg, etc. Forget the petrol equivalent BS, just give the straight $$ value, much easier to compare then.

The Nissan leaf gets roughly 5.47km per kw/h, 1kw/h in Thailand will cost approximately 3bht depending on your location and electricity supplier.

So for each 1,000km it would cost roughly 549 bht which in comparison with a petrol car is dirt cheap.

A current model Toyota Corolla would use roughly 73 Litres of fuel in that time and depending on fuel prices say 30bht per Litre that would be roughly 2,190bht

I really wish these company with electric cars would give a $/km rating instead of km/L or L/100km or mpg, etc. Forget the petrol equivalent BS, just give the straight $ value, much easier to compare then.

The Nissan leaf gets roughly 5.47km per kw/h, 1kw/h in Thailand will cost approximately 3bht depending on your location and electricity supplier.

So for each 1,000km it would cost roughly 549 bht which in comparison with a petrol car is dirt cheap.

A current model Toyota Corolla would use roughly 73 Litres of fuel in that time and depending on fuel prices say 30bht per Litre that would be roughly 2,190bht

Thank you Tarric. I was too lazy to calculate...

I really wish these company with electric cars would give a $/km rating instead of km/L or L/100km or mpg, etc. Forget the petrol equivalent BS, just give the straight $ value, much easier to compare then.

1 unit can be as little as 3.89b or as high as 7b depending on where you live.

wiki shows the leaf at 34 kW·h/160 km (100mi) so i make that 4.70km per kw/h (thats according to the US EPA)

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Nissan_Leaf

THE MOST INTERESTING PART WAS THAT NISSAN CLAIM 76 to 169 km RANGE. Wow bit of a difference

Edited by thaicbr

wiki shows the leaf at 34 kW·h/160 km (100mi) so i make that 4.70km per kw/h (thats according to the US EPA)

THE MOST INTERESTING PART WAS THAT NISSAN CLAIM 76 to 169 km RANGE. Wow bit of a difference

I stand corrected on the electricity prices I didnt realise how greatly they varied, my mother who lives in Bangkok pays 2.5-3.5bht per kw/h

I got my information about the power usage from the Australian EPA.

I stand corrected on the electricity prices I didnt realise how greatly they varied, my mother who lives in Bangkok pays 2.5-3.5bht per kw/h

I got my information about the power usage from the Australian EPA.

To be fair. the higher figure is if you are renting a house. Which is unlikely if you can afford to buy a Nissan Leaf. Same details as i used :D

Must agree.

Shock :shock1: !!! Surprise :o !!!! Regardless of whether or not you agree or disagree it's the facts as to partly why this technology is not being pressed forward.. Safety and security is a real concern for governments these days whether we see it as over-reacting or not..

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 2 months later...

here is a link that shows it clearly. sorry i didnt take a video of it myself.

http://www.youtube.c...u/9/6m_iIbX0gmA

now range: 200 km full charge. obviously it various on your driving. if 90km/hr, it will be around ~140km...200km is for 70 cruising...However, nissan stated that even if you push your car and have every electronic gadget on, you will never lower your range less than 100km...which seems fair enough.

I didnt have the time to test this cruising range...sorry about that. Nevertheless, i am not a automotive journalist, just a guy with a dream...

Thanks for posting that link - the Leaf really gets up to 60mph in 7.5 seconds - very interesting to watch and that particular channel - Fully Charged - is one I hadn't learnt about before. It's funny that the present Robert used to present Scrap Heap Challenge in the UK, I remember watching some episodes and he was the biggest petrol-head ever.

I read that Mitsubishi are working with PTT to trial some electric charging stations - it's funny how because Thailand is so much a plutocracy the rich can adapt to new tech so swiftly and easily (ie the uptake of the Prius, for example). Among all the sun-faded buildings, dirty corrugated roofs and social deprivation will soon spring EV infrastructure hopefully. Solar panels on the roofs of gas stations aren't beyond the realms of possibility.

Do you think the Leaf will hit Nissan salerooms anytime soon?

Hi guys, if you are interested in Ev life, check the following website. It is a good documentary of Life with Tesla. Sign in with your e-mail and check your email. you will have a free copy of the documentary.

http://lifewithtesla...he-documentary/

Better yet, why not just supply us with the link they emailed you so we don't all have to add ourselves to yet another SPAM mail list? :D