Drunk SA Man Jumps Off Balcony

britmaveric

Drunken South African man allegedly jumps from his 5th floor apartment and survives.

Police Captain Anucheart from Dongtan Police sub-station on Jomtien Beach was called to the Jomtien Long Stay Apartments close to the Hanuman Statue on the road leading to Jomtien Beach to investigate an apparent foreign jumper at the apartment block. At the scene was Mr. Engelbrecht Coetzee aged 28 from South Africa who had sustained serious back injuries after falling from his 5th floor balcony.

Mr. Coetzee is currently training to be a scuba diva and the woman responsible for this group of diving students is Miss Norego from Japan who explained that the group had just returned from a days training and Mr. Coetzee was drinking heavily on his balcony and then without notice fell off. Luckily a tree broke his fall and most probably saved his life, according to the Police Captain. Mr. Coetzee confirmed the story and was extremely apologetic to rescue workers and the Police. The man is now being treated for his injuries and for now his prognosis is unknown.

-Pattaya City News

Thursday 27th October 2005

Mental note to one's self - stay away from balconies when highly intoxicated. Course it doesnt help that many balconies railings are rather non-standard and short making it ever so easy to fall.

2nd note - get room on first floor.

Mental note to one's self - stay away from balconies when highly intoxicated. Course it doesnt help that many balconys' railings are rather non-standard and short making it ever so easy to fall.

I've seen low balcony rails too. If a drunk leaned forward to grip the rail he would have to lean forward more than expected and his momentum and upper body weight just might tip him over the edge. It takes a bit more wits to survive in Thailand I guess.

It defineately says fell off, so why has pattaya city news tried to hype it up?

It's what they do for a living, deal with it :o

Big Tony you have started off on the wrong foot , now you are going to get the wrath of the Pattaya Huns , and to see them in action , just go to the blues factory and you will see them dancing to Pattayas best bands , you cannot miss them , there the ones with the zimmer frames ,

It defineately says fell off, so why has pattaya city news tried to hype it up?

It's what they do for a living, deal with it :o

Big Tony you have started off on the wrong foot , now you are going to get the wrath of the Pattaya Huns , and to see them in action , just go to the blues factory and you will see them dancing to Pattayas best bands , you cannot miss them , there the ones with the zimmer frames ,

You know poppa you have a thing about Zimmer frames....whats the problem?..Is your broken?? :D

Drunken South African man allegedly jumps from his 5th floor apartment and survives.

Police Captain Anucheart from Dongtan Police sub-station on Jomtien Beach was called to the Jomtien Long Stay Apartments close to the Hanuman Statue on the road leading to Jomtien Beach to investigate an apparent foreign jumper at the apartment block. At the scene was Mr. Engelbrecht Coetzee aged 28 from South Africa who had sustained serious back injuries after falling from his 5th floor balcony.

Mr. Coetzee is currently training to be a scuba diva and the woman responsible for this group of diving students is Miss Norego from Japan who explained that the group had just returned from a days training and Mr. Coetzee was drinking heavily on his balcony and then without notice fell off. Luckily a tree broke his fall and most probably saved his life, according to the Police Captain. Mr. Coetzee confirmed the story and was extremely apologetic to rescue workers and the Police. The man is now being treated for his injuries and for now his prognosis is unknown.

-Pattaya City News

At last i've realised what PADI stands for;

Passes Another Drunken Idiot. :o

I'll give Scuba diving a miss when i'n next in LOS.

-Pattaya City News

Passes Another Drunken Idiot. :D

Unfortunately he fell off the balcony...yes pissed he may have been...but scuba diving has nothing to do with his mishap :o

-Pattaya City News

Passes Another Drunken Idiot. :o

PADI also stands for Put Another Dollar In.

• 2 months later...
Mental note to one's self - stay away from balconies when highly intoxicated. Course it doesnt help that many balconies railings are rather non-standard and short making it ever so easy to fall.

2nd note - get room on first floor.

3rd note - if following 2nd note, don't look up from your porch. Always could be a second puker to ruin your day.

Mr. Coetzee is currently training to be a scuba diver and the woman responsible for this group of diving students is Miss Norego from Japan.....

Could it be that the diving student was practising a bit of muff diving on his Japasneeze instructor, when a sudden break of wind from her caused him to reel back, gasping for air without the aid of his aqualungs, his flippers got tangled up in her legs, causing him to topple off his fifth floor balcony plunging him to the depths of the ground floor?

Why do you people always blame alcohol? :o

one of my buddies just recently bought a condo in the pattaya area. I noticed that the railings on the balcony only stood up about 3 feet. seems sort of unsafe. I mentioned it to him. but he didn't seem to understand what I was saying.

anyway, just curious if they have something in the way of "building codes" here in thailand?

http://www.big-builders.com/construction/building_code.html

with all the people falling out of balconies, it seems like maybe there is a market for someone who knows how to construct safe balconies. I'm sure this person would get a lot of business redoing unsafe balconies. what do you guys think?

is it just me? it seems there is no way to find a handy man or developer except through word-of-mouth. why is it that in the states, you have lots of people advertising their services as handy man, air conditioner repair man, moving van, etc. but no one seems to do that here.

..at least in any english printed publications. hint. hint.

"Why do you people always blame alcohol?"

Well considering the best witness to the accident said he was drinking heavily and he was subsequently found injured on the ground below his balcony?

No mention is made of a disagreement and he is awake and with his faculties intact it sounds like.

Seems like a straight line to me...?

~WISteve