Any Thai Words You Don'T Understand?

ThaiKhmerLoverKrit

I am still having trouble with the passive voice particles ถูก and โดน, both with their usage and with the choice of which one to use.

I'm guessing the choice of which word to use would be influenced by the situation being discussed.

e.g. As โดน also has the meaning of to hit , strike, collide etc, I'd guess that it would be used in situations where some sort of actual violence is involved, whereas ถูก would be used in other none violent situations,

But reading through the examples on another website there doesn't seem to be 'set rule' to follow.

Is it up to the toss a coin?

Thank you klons and bifftastic for the answer. I was thinking between "ไม่รู้คุณคิดอะไรอยู่" and "ไม่รู้คุณคิดอย่างไรอยู่"The latter translates to "How" instead, but I once read that อย่างไร can also be translated to "what". Anyone came across this before?

Let me take a shot at both โดน and ถูก. What I learned is that ถูก is more polite and more used frequently compared to โดน. Regarding the meaning between โดน and ถูก when used as a passive, there isn't much difference. Both are also used in sentencex that convey negativity. For positive or neutral sentences, ได้รับ is used. However, I saw ได้รับ used in negative passive sentence before.

@krading: According to my limited experience, โดน and ถูก are usually interchangeable, and often โดนถูก is used to form the passive voice. If you enter โดนถูก with google you will encounter many examples...

To my feeling, โดน is on a slightly higher level than ถูก. A sales assistant may usually use ถูก, while a teacher may use either โดน or ถูก.

Erwin

I am still having trouble with the passive voice particles ถูก and โดน, both with their usage and with the choice of which one to use.

I'm guessing the choice of which word to use would be influenced by the situation being discussed.

e.g. As โดน also has the meaning of to hit , strike, collide etc, I'd guess that it would be used in situations where some sort of actual violence is involved, whereas ถูก would be used in other none violent situations,

But reading through the examples on another website there doesn't seem to be 'set rule' to follow.

Is it up to the toss a coin?

My experience is that both are used in front of a transitive verb to form the passive tense.

But โดน is only used with a negative connotation and ถูก can be used to form the passive with either a positive or negative connotation.

So if you want to say that you were shot, or hit by a car, you could use either one. But if you won the lottery, you would only use ถูก

How do you say: I don't know what you are thinking now in Thai. ไม่รู้ว่าคุณคิด.........??

I think เดี๋ยวนี้ไม่รู้ว่าคุณคิดอะไร would work.

Thank you klons and bifftastic for the answer. I was thinking between "ไม่รู้คุณคิดอะไรอยู่" and "ไม่รู้คุณคิดอย่างไรอยู่"The latter translates to "How" instead, but I once read that อย่างไร can also be translated to "what". Anyone came across this before?

I think Klon's version is much better than mine. With เดี๋ยวนี้ you're specifying 'now' as in 'it is no longer clear what you're thinking'. ว่า makes it scan better as well. I might add ยู่ for the same reason?

• 1 month later...