Bangkok's Motorcycle Taxis: Thailand's Political Force On Two Wheels

webfact

Politics on two wheels in Thailand's capital

Feature by Amelie Bottollier-Depois

BANGKOK, August 16, 2011 (AFP) - They zip through the traffic-choked streets of Bangkok, but the capital's motorcycle taxis are more than just a means of transportation -- they are also a potent political force.

Thailand's motorbike taxi association president proudly displays a stylised portrait of his hero, fugitive former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, emblazoned on the orange vest that marks him out as a "moto" driver.

"We miss Thaksin, 100 percent," Chalerm Changthongmadan said of the former billionaire tycoon, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and whose sister Yingluck Shinawatra is the new premier after storming to victory in a July 3 election.

Thaksin is adored by many poor and working class Thais for his populist policies while in power, such as microcredit schemes and cheap healthcare, and the motorcycle taxi riders are among his biggest fans.

Officially, there are a little more than 100,000 motorcycle taxis in Bangkok, but Claudio Sopranzetti, researcher in anthropology with Harvard University in the US, believes there could be around 200,000.

Sopranzetti said that after Thaksin took power in 2001 he moved to formalise the motorbikes as part of efforts to combat "dark influence, which basically meant a fight against different kinds of corruption and local mafias".

He said the taxis, which are estimated to generate a total 100 million baht ($3.3 million) a day, were originally run by police-backed local mafias.

But these forces were pushed out as Thaksin sought to register each driver and equip them with the orange vests that have become their uniforms.

In the five years since his ouster, however, the taxis' "protectors" have crept back into the picture, he said, extorting an estimated 1,000 baht a month on average from drivers, who earn about 300-1,000 baht a day.

With about 70 percent of taxis tapped for a slice of their income, the bikers are keen to see an end to the corruption.

"We can only wait for the new government to order the police to stop backing up mafia, then we can live," Chalerm said.

The bikers do not just nip through Bangkok's congestion carrying passengers -- they deliver documents, food and act as a kind of neighbourhood watch on the street corners from which they operate.

"The city would not function without them," Sopranzetti said.

But he said the motorbike taxis are also a political entity -- with around 80 to 90 percent linked to the pro-Thaksin "Red Shirt" protest movement. Many hail from Thailand's rural northeast -- the heartland of Thaksin supporters.

Of those, he said around 20 to 30 percent were "in the middle of the movement", whose Bangkok rallies in April and May last year ended with an army crackdown and more than 90 people dead.

"When there was a situation of violence in the city, their knowledge of backdoors and shortcuts got really, really important," he said of the protests against a government that the Red Shirts saw as undemocratic after it came to power following the removal of two Thaksin-allied administrations by the courts.

During the demonstrations, which brought key areas of Bangkok to a standstill, the bikers acted as "fast moving troops", according to Chalerm.

"When the leaders were surrounded by police, we would go to them and help them," he said.

Fellow biker Suksomboon Makadee recalls riding at the head of a "Red" convoy with a giant Thai flag flying two metres above his motorbike on April 28 last year.

"My flag was shot, riddled with holes," he told AFP during a break from his work.

If Thaksin, who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption, were to return, Suksomboon said he would lead a group of motorbikes to the airport to welcome him back to Thailand with a fanfare.

"We love and respect Thaksin. He is not my relative but I love him because he helped to improve our lives," he said.

Yingluck has pledged to relaunch many of Thaksin's policies and her Puea Thai party's election campaign included promises for a rise in the minimum wage, although the motorbike taxi drivers are self-employed.

Puea Thai spokesperson Prompong Nopparit said the government would "bring the old policies back and we will make them better this time".

He said the focus would not just be on the cost of living, but on Thailand's "mafias" -- a target familiar from Thaksin's years in power and well known to Bangkok's motorcycle taxi drivers.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-08-16

hahahahahahahaha. Classic bullshit story. Political force...

you can only be a political force if YOU THINK about the information given rather than

thinking 'oh, what i nice red clapper they gave me for FREE'

Motorbike taxi drivers complaining about corruption ... Is there not enough of corruption and illegal activities available for them to make a good income?

I'm not saying all of them are corrupt but I think everyone knows if you want something illegal or underground you only need to visit the local motorbike taxi stand.

There is a law on the books that regulates how much the drivers are allowed to charge...a regulation they routinely violate with impunity. Remind them of that the next time they quote you a fare and then complain about corruption. If it wasn't for the corruption they pay to this "mafia" (generally of the brown shirted variety), they wouldn't be allowed to charge the prices they do without fear of enforcement.

Edited by gregb

Thaksin trying to reduce corruption and dark influences, this has to be one of the biggest jokes I've ever heard.

I think the Democrats found it to be a funny joke too. So funny that they dismissed it all together. And at that point 200,000 votes went bye bye. I don't think they find it funny anymore.

Thaksin trying to reduce corruption and dark influences, this has to be one of the biggest jokes I've ever heard.

I think the Democrats found it to be a funny joke too. So funny that they dismissed it all together. And at that point 200,000 votes went bye bye. I don't think they find it funny anymore.

Sixteen bike taxi drivers outside my condo, only one admits to voting in the July election..

When you take into account what the population of Bangkok is, and the number of bikes you see around, I would have thought 200,000 riders, would be nearer the mark, than 100,000. I can understand the views of the riders, in relation to Thaksin, but I think many under-estimate the 'power' of the Thai Mafia, which can probably apply considerable pressure on the people they rip-off. That 'pressure', (based on what the Mafia in Italy is known to be capable of doing via raw fear) could be affecting whom people vote for. ....... What the Mafia want politically, is going to be based on who they can manipulate!

I would have thought that 'if' they could get their act together, they would be a force to be reckoned with.

Sixteen bike taxi drivers outside my condo, only one admits to voting in the July election..

Do you recognise any of these guys per chance? They don't seem very interested in what Mr Abhisit had to say.................

Edited by metisdead
Copyrighted photo removed.

Do you recognise any of these guys per chance? They don't seem very interested in what Mr Abhisit had to say.................

Thai's aren't in general interested in listening.

Don't much care as we can see in the actions of the guy in the back eating.

What does catch the eye is the gloves, mabe some kind of Mafia deal in itself as seeing they are driving 115's in general.

Edited by metisdead

The taxi drivers red flag was riddled with bullets.....Pity it wasn't his face.

you're not into the freedom of political expression by the working class then?

Does any believe his flag was riddled with bullets....This must be B/S#it.......freedom of expression in that month in Bkk, complete anarchy =arson = looting= lost for words for the posters who know and condone. they havent all their chairs in one room. Some M/C taxis are o.k. but a vast amount are the same as many in this land out to get what they can--thats corruption on a vast scale.

Instead of political force---it should read politically FORCED

Edited by ginjag

Curious ... where was the picture posted? Either the picture was taken at a moment that doesn't capture the reality of the situation or there truly is a hatred for Abhisit by these people.

I really admire Abhisit and think Thaksin is horrible but I would still shake his hand (or wai) and want to take a picture with him ... he is part of history and not like anything I say or do is going to change his ways.

Just seems odd these people seem to be wondering, "when will this a@@hole go away so we can get back to our game?"

Edited by metisdead

It appears you feel that there should only be one party (yours?). It would certainly save money on those pesky elections.

Anyone involved in the set up organisation of a peaceful rally, and the participants had nothing to fear, BUT when posters tell the truth in the violent action that took place , looting, burning, resisting arrest carrying lethal weapons and everything else that went on, YOU condone and use the usual line that the poster supports the other party. Maybe thats not the case the poster is merely saying what any fair minded person would say.

I have repeatedly bashed the Thaksin family / friends / hangers on/ followers for gain, but its NOT because I am a democrat lover, because it is not my country, I merely comment I do it because of the corruption from that side. THAT DOES NOT mean that corruption is not happening inside other parties, it's because of the promises and deceit and outside interference that is causing mega problems.

Posters have blasted Abhisit for his weakness, But what are the M/Cycle boys trying to achieve, by getting involved, now their leader is far weaker than Abhisit, she cannot make decisions alone, but the motor bike taxi lads dont care they are following the flow.

Does any believe his flag was riddled with bullets.

More likely moths.

Does any believe his flag was riddled with bullets.

More likely moths.

Ha Ha ..........it was maybe stolen anyway, from some abandoned road work site. Fancy hiring a motor bike taxi and carrying a red flag.

The big issue for Thailand is not Thaksin. It is that there exists a huge underclass (farmers/workers) that have been denied a fair opportunity for so long while a very small elite and a small middle class that have done very very nicely in that time. Now the underclass want a bit of the pie and more opportunity and some of the trappings they see wealthier society enjoying.

This has become all muddled up in a power struggle up top with the elite trying to force Thaksin out. As the elite are one of the groups the underclass are now trying to compete with for a share of the spoils, any enemy of the elite is a friend of the underclass also not forgetting that Thaksin was the first to toss them any small bones too which amplifies the link.

The motorcycle taxi drivers did benefit from Thaksin breaking certain control over them, as anyone here at the time will remember, and have suffered a creeping back of that control since he has gone, so Im sure they are pretty loyal. With most of us there is a tendency to like people who help us rather than ignore us, and to like people more more who seem genuine and more like us than different and distant. All the attempts by people who expect big wais because of their position to belittle Thaksin and co have only worked to do the opposite and that is all amplified by Thaksin's ability to appear humble and mix in with ordinary people, an ability Yingluck also seems to have while the likes of Abhisit seem very wooden and unnatural in their dealings on a person level and the ones who expect big wais wouldnt even think it necessary to worry what one of them poor people thought and that comes across too

Curious ... where was the picture posted? Either the picture was taken at a moment that doesn't capture the reality of the situation or there truly is a hatred for Abhisit by these people.

I really admire Abhisit and think Thaksin is horrible but I would still shake his hand (or wai) and want to take a picture with him ... he is part of history and not like anything I say or do is going to change his ways.

Just seems odd these people seem to be wondering, "when will this a@@hole go away so we can get back to our game?"

According to Reuters the photo was taken at "a Bangkok Market" on the 25th May 2011

http://in.news.yahoo.com/photos/thailands-prime-minister-abhisit-vejjajiva-speaks-motorcyclists-during-photo-070655089.html

I agree with your musing on what the motorsai taxi guys were thinking, but I don't think it's odd.

Edited by metisdead

:lol:

You won the *write a caption* contest.

edit to add.

there where also photos where they gave him a light blue motocy taxi vest with the number 10 on it, with more smiling faces on both sides.

Edited by samurai

The big issue for Thailand is not Thaksin. It is that there exists a huge underclass (farmers/workers) that have been denied a fair opportunity for so long while a very small elite and a small middle class that have done very very nicely in that time. Now the underclass want a bit of the pie and more opportunity and some of the trappings they see wealthier society enjoying.

This has become all muddled up in a power struggle up top with the elite trying to force Thaksin out. As the elite are one of the groups the underclass are now trying to compete with for a share of the spoils, any enemy of the elite is a friend of the underclass also not forgetting that Thaksin was the first to toss them any small bones too which amplifies the link.

The motorcycle taxi drivers did benefit from Thaksin breaking certain control over them, as anyone here at the time will remember, and have suffered a creeping back of that control since he has gone, so Im sure they are pretty loyal. With most of us there is a tendency to like people who help us rather than ignore us, and to like people more more who seem genuine and more like us than different and distant. All the attempts by people who expect big wais because of their position to belittle Thaksin and co have only worked to do the opposite and that is all amplified by Thaksin's ability to appear humble and mix in with ordinary people, an ability Yingluck also seems to have while the likes of Abhisit seem very wooden and unnatural in their dealings on a person level and the ones who expect big wais wouldnt even think it necessary to worry what one of them poor people thought and that comes across too

Everyone knows the rights and wrongs here, Thaksin did some useful things in government, BUT THAT IS WHAT HE WAS PAID TO DO. as you said he tossed some small bones in for the poor but grabbed mammoth bones for himself.

Truth, the elected government conned the poor to gain power for the family, NO PROBLEM but where are the Mammoth bones they promised,???? they want time ??? why ??? they seem to have time for brother to get his feet in the door.

The motor cycle taxis are a political force, who is caring for them now-The Family ????

Motorbike taxi drivers complaining about corruption ... Is there not enough of corruption and illegal activities available for them to make a good income?

I'm not saying all of them are corrupt but I think everyone knows if you want something illegal or underground you only need to visit the local motorbike taxi stand.

In fact all moto taxis are run by armed forces mafia and are absolutely corrupt and illegal.