Road Rage

rikki

Just had some fat middle aged well to do thai in a newish grey pickup try to push me off the road on my scooter several times.

He followed me then sandwiched me against the kerb, . The window came down and he hurled abuse at me.

There was an older policewomen in uniform in the passenger seat.

car number 9504

Is there thread to post incidents such as this?

Can I find his name, address etc?

Would like to name and shame him

Should I talk to the police, will they take it seriously?

Or the tourist police?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He pulled out of a sidestreet right in front of me, so I drove up beside him-very close

I wanted him to be aware that someone was objecting to his driving without consideration for the lives of other road users

Edited by rikki

If you report it to the police - nothing is going to happen. Especially if there was somebody in uniform in the car.

The police here can not find a car even if you have the licence plate (letters & number) - I know it sounds idiotic but they need the brand, the model of the car and the colour !!!

Problem is that it seems normal for cars to pull out from a side Soi without considering oncoming traffic - especially when you are on a bike!

Bear in mind most of them never learn to drive and bought their driving permit - if they have one at all that is.

Edited by Cnxforever

what will change the minds of those that believe they have the right to mow down innocent riders/pedestrians etc

well there is a way - sometimes I wish I could drive a tank here - or at least have a rocket launcher on the back of the car - but then of course they would not pull out in front of you!

People like this are just very primitive without consideration for others - stupid, selfish and never learned how to behave.

CNX - you forgot the front-mounted laser !

Rikki, given that this guy went as far as he did to show you something, best count yourself lucky to be bodily unharmed and just start believing that karma will serve him his. When a Thai person let's go, they really let go. It's in the culture to hold back or to occasionally lose it (there ARE upsides and downsides to this...). If you're gonna make a gesture on your bike or show your displeasure, you better be ready to fight or high-tail it afterwards.

And as you drive more here, just keep in mind that you can always expect them to do what you wouldn't expect. Hyper proactive driving is the key here.

what will change the minds of those that believe they have the right to mow down innocent riders/pedestrians etc

well there is a way - sometimes I wish I could drive a tank here - or at least have a rocket launcher on the back of the car - but then of course they would not pull out in front of you!

People like this are just very primitive without consideration for others - stupid, selfish and never learned how to behave.

How very true but unfortunately they always have the right of way. They probably do it in their truck as thats what they always used to do on their scooter. God knows how they manage to get away with it. Self preservation should really kick in and tell them to look before leaving one road and joining another. We were always taught 'Look Right, Look Left and Look Right again' when crossing the road. I can imagine the response here - WHY! Unfortunately the Scool teachers and Police are no better versed than any other so no one teaches the kids.

How very true but unfortunately they always have the right of way. They probably do it in their truck as thats what they always used to do on their scooter. God knows how they manage to get away with it. Self preservation should really kick in and tell them to look before leaving one road and joining another. We were always taught 'Look Right, Look Left and Look Right again' when crossing the road. I can imagine the response here - WHY! Unfortunately the Scool teachers and Police are no better versed than any other so no one teaches the kids.

Yes no one teaches the kids.

Also no one teaches the foreigners how to drive in a different country. They come here from countries where there is a law against every thing and it is enforced. Here there is no law that is enforced and they have to look out for themselves. Some never learn to do that. Just the perennial wailing that back home yadda yadda yadda.

I live on Gozo at the moment, part of the EU allegedly, bat the driving here is just the same as you have there, and even worse on mainland Malta! Whilst living here I have found that the best way of driving is to expect the stupid b*****ds to do anything, except what you expect, and wave and smile when they do. Works wonders!

I expect to adopt the same technique when I get to CM in a couple of months and hope it works equally as well there.

standard practise to pull out and then keep left and then you blend in around them go and buy a lottery ticket your lucky there was a copper in the car or any thing might of happened right or wrong its the wrong country to make a stand you should have smiled and drove on

I think the worst drivers are farangs, and especially on a bike.

If you think that, you've either not been here very long, have done very few miles on the road, enjoy taking the Thai apologist angle, or maybe think it's cool to dis your own in front of the locals.

Op, let it go. Bikes hold very little sway on the road here, and esp if a cop is driving a truck. Most rely on Buddha rather than their senses to see them safe and any protestation would probably be viewed as a slight on that and on the cop in question. You may even be chastised for bringing his bad driving to light or, at the very least, be laughed out of the station. Go steady. ;)

A couple of gunshots to the head should do it, since the police don't seem to care one bit.

He pulled out of a sidestreet right in front of me, so I drove up beside him-very close

I wanted him to be aware that someone was objecting to his driving without consideration for the lives of other road users

Hi rikki,

This was a pretty dumb move on your part to be fair. As a safety was your main concern why on earth would you drive unnecessarily close, possibly in a blind spot, to a moving vehicle?

As all have mentioned earlier, had you pi$$ed the driver off enough and he could have seen you then he may have just decided to drive right over you. There was a cop in the car, who are the police going to believe? The dead guy who drove into my friends truck?

I'm sure you've been on bikes or at least driving in any country in the world to know better.

Please, for your own sake, think better of this kind of action in the future.

I'm not saying you are wrong in the way you are thinking as I fully agree, I struggle to remain calm at times, but keep thinking and doing separate wherever possible in these situations.

They are not taught anything with regards to road safety when they take their driving test over here. Combine that with no regard for losing life as they will have another one after, a better one if they've been good, and you can maybe understand why they don't give a toss about other drivers.

And I guess he showed you who is the boss when you are driving a motorcycle and he is driving a four wheel vehicle. I hope you learn this lesson before it is too late Mr. Seubeu. Next time use some common sense and leave your thoughts of disapproval only to drivers traveling in the opposite direction.

Guns.

Then again, do you really want blood on your hands just because somebody drove - in your opinion - stupidly?

Much better to know that somebody might come out of a soi without looking. In fact, the no-look karma turn is pretty common here. Everyone does it in the village, especially on motorbikes. Stay away from the left side when riding your bike. Expect things to come shooting out of sois. Because it happens.

Road rage, like any conflict, always needs two. Don't enable it.

PS: Other than the no-look turn, there's other driving maneuvers that we'll probably never get used to, but that we still can anticipate:

- The right turn while cutting off the corner of the oncoming lane of the road they're turning into. Approach corners with no visibility with caution

- The "right turn before oncoming traffic" rule at intersections. Is baffling and doesn't make any sense, but everyone does it. So, i do it too. Just know if you're going straight and somebody is turning right, driving across your lane, it's their right of way as the light goes green.

In summary, this is all your own fault, do better next time, and live longer. You were lucky the guy didn't lose it more than he did.

Edited by nikster

The man was a cop too. You were very stupid to drive the way you did.

You are very lucky. I think the worst drivers are farangs, and especially on a bike.

Damned right.

At least Thais on a motorbike mostly know their place in the scheme of things. Farangs... not so much. :crazy:

If you report it to the police - nothing is going to happen. Especially if there was somebody in uniform in the car.

The police here can not find a car even if you have the licence plate (letters & number) - I know it sounds idiotic but they need the brand, the model of the car and the colour !!!

Problem is that it seems normal for cars to pull out from a side Soi without considering oncoming traffic - especially when you are on a bike!

Bear in mind most of them never learn to drive and bought their driving permit - if they have one at all that is.

...maybe that's why there are so many silver/grey cars around here...they don't want to be recognized...:rolleyes:

BTW,there should be a school for us,who don't want to get involved "how to do it"(and not to get pissed)...

...there are probably worst countries to drive than Thailand,but we just need to learn their "customs"...

1.Move out of the way of "head light flashing " cars!!!

2.Expect the unexpected!!!

3...................(cheep in)

If he cut you off, he probably didn't even see you in the first place. Then some psycho rolls up looking at him close up while his girl is sitting next to him.

What would you do?

standard practise to pull out and then keep left and then you blend in around them go and buy a lottery ticket your lucky there was a copper in the car or any thing might of happened right or wrong its the wrong country to make a stand you should have smiled and drove on

I don't know whether it's actually in the written law, but my Thai colleagues say drivers are expected to make allowance to let vehicles from side streets join the traffic onto the bigger road.

I live on Gozo at the moment, part of the EU allegedly, bat the driving here is just the same as you have there, and even worse on mainland Malta! Whilst living here I have found that the best way of driving is to expect the stupid b*****ds to do anything, except what you expect, and wave and smile when they do. Works wonders!

I expect to adopt the same technique when I get to CM in a couple of months and hope it works equally as well there.

I used to live in Gozo too, think Gozo traffic x 10,000, then come and drive in Thailand.

I think the worst drivers are farangs, and especially on a bike.

If you think that, you've either not been here very long, have done very few miles on the road, enjoy taking the Thai apologist angle, or maybe think it's cool to dis your own in front of the locals.

Very assinine response, you don't know what you are talking about..

You are very lucky. I think the worst drivers are farangs, and especially on a bike.

Damned right.

At least Thais on a motorbike mostly know their place in the scheme of things. Farangs... not so much. :crazy:

some interesting replies

but I dont think there's any excuse for him to drive the way he did, nor speak the way he did

and I dont believe people should be shot down for standing up for their rights

Damned right.

some interesting replies

but I dont think there's any excuse for him to drive the way he did, nor speak the way he did

and I dont believe people should be shot down for standing up for their rights

Agreed, but its the shot bit that you really need to be careful of.

I was thinking the same thing - that the man was probably a cop also.

But I could not disagree with you more about farangs being the worst drivers. You are totally wrong on that one.