Yamaha Spark Rx 135I

ozzydom

theyre only 52,500 in the big c /carrefour

seems like an ok little bike ,feels a lot lighter than an elegance or even a mio and a little bit more power but ive never driven one yet

so i dont know how it feels on the road

I tried the last Spark - Bit more responsive than the Nouvo 135 (same engine, but it's chain driven) but not fully auto and less weather protection and luggage capacity.

If you value handling and zip over practicality, then I reckon it's the current best bet out of the locally made small street bikes ..... but if you want some practicality, then go for the Nouvo (or a Honda PCX).

Two versions of the 135 - if you are into proper motorcycles go for the one with a clutch and gearchange that works the same way as the bigger bikes, saves messing up your head recalling to go the right way through the gearbox. It IS NOT a scooter, BTW, but a step-thru, the big difference being the engine is in the middle of the bike and not on the swinging arm, about ten times safer in tricky conditions due to vastly superior weight distribution, low centre of gravity. I managed to do 50.000 kilometres on the Spark 110, mostly two-up, so if that is anything to go by the 135 Spark should be nicely tough. Scooters are mostly knackered after 20k, their auto transmissions needing frequent servicing. If you must have an automatic, Honda do a step-thru with an automatic gearbox (forget what it is called) which might be the best of both worlds, though it is only a 110cc.

When I bought my NE135, I test rode the Spark 135 and X1-R while I was there.

The NE is easier to ride and has storage but the Spark and X1-R felt much faster as they were direct chain drive.

If I wanted a small race bike, then the X1-R would be the one to get as it has a rear disc brake.

If you want to carry anything lager than a candy bar, I suggest a topbin or the NE135.

BTW, an automatic scooter needs less maintenance than any chain bike; I've owned and repaired both.

If you look up on how a scooter transmission works, you'll find only the belt (stretches) and variator pulleys (gets flat spots) need replacement.

There is nothing else that could go wrong in a scooter tranny unless you never change the oil in the final output drive.

If you replace the belt and variator pulleys and still have problems, then its probably a worn engine and not the transmission at fault.

We need to have an automatic filter in this forum so that whenever someone reports falsely "automatic scooters require more maintenance", the key words automatically change to something like "automatics are markedly superior to manual transmission models" so that new readers won't succumb to the bull and make a buying decision based on such b.s.

Both automatic and chain systems require preventive maintenance of a sort, but 20,000 kms is a good figure for the automatics, because that's when the belt should be changed - even if working with no problems. Manufactures suggest a schedule for taking a look at them.

Engines are just as reliable, assuming similar use and design; for example, liquid-cooled might have an advantage for longevity no matter the power-delivery method.

The chains require adjustment quite frequently and are thus much more of a hassle (plus oiling) but deliver improved fuel economy and power delivery.

The Spark, in the 125-135 cc region, may well offer the highest top speed among unmodified bikes in the class, or so I'm told by an experienced (many bikes) owner. It is mentioned in Wiki as a possible racer, for what that's worth.

From personal experience, I'd add the 125cc Suzuki Hayate Fi to the mix of alternatives, as it is very quick in acceleration and handling in town - also with big underseat storage, though no contender for the best top speed.

Edited by CMX

Both automatic and chain systems require preventive maintenance of a sort, but 20,000 kms is a good figure for the automatics, because that's when the belt should be changed - even if working with no problems. Manufactures suggest a schedule for taking a look at them.

Engines are just as reliable, assuming similar use and design; for example, liquid-cooled might have an advantage for longevity no matter the power-delivery method.

The chains require adjustment quite frequently and are thus much more of a hassle (plus oiling) but deliver improved fuel economy and power delivery.

The Spark, in the 125-135 cc region, may well offer the highest top speed among unmodified bikes in the class, or so I'm told by an experienced (many bikes) owner. It is mentioned in Wiki as a possible racer, for what that's worth.

From personal experience, I'd add the 125cc Suzuki Hayate Fi to the mix of alternatives, as it is very quick in acceleration and handling in town - also with big underseat storage, though no contender for the best top speed.

i thought the sonic 125cc was the "fastest" underbone style bike but id say itd be close between that and the spark 135cc

sitting on the spark it feels like a toy ,its so light so its bound to be quick /power/weight ratio

both have a sh1tload of aftermarket parts to make them go quicker also if thats what your into but if u need to go quicker id spend the money on a

250cc bike than trying to upgrade a 125 or 135cc with after market parts

i thought the sonic 125cc was the "fastest" underbone style bike but id say itd be close between that and the spark 135cc

sitting on the spark it feels like a toy ,its so light so its bound to be quick /power/weight ratio

both have a sh1tload of aftermarket parts to make them go quicker also if thats what your into but if u need to go quicker id spend the money on a

Now that makes a lot of sense. I really think there will be littleeal difference in the speeds of the various 125-135 c.c. alternatives. Most deliver all that's necessary and then some for in the city--eg. My Nouvo Elegance will go a lot faster than I dare to go on these streets. It handled the one hour drive from Pattaya to Rayong quite well as did my friend's PCX but the 250 CBR could really keep up with the car traffic while feeling so much more secure at higher speeds. And it's not all that expensive. Put this in perspective now. I just returned from a short trip to the U.S. where I visited one of the largest motorcycle dealers in Illinois. I was amazed at all the really big bikes in the place. Lots of Honda Gold Wings and a lot of other big expensive toys. The CBR 250 seemed very small in that crowd. It costs a fraction of the price of all those big bikes yet if offers a lot of performance for a very small amount invested compared to all those high dollar overweight super cruisers.

I am particularly interested in the RX 135i mainly because the riding position feels ok with my arthritic hips and wrists and partly because it seems to be fairly advanced technology wise.

I have been riding for more years than I care to remember and among the rides I have owned in more recent times are Virago 1100,Africa Twin 850, Honda ST1100 Pan European,Triumph ST Sprint,Honda NT650 Hawk GT Honda GS 1000.

My first real bike was an Arial Redhunter 500 in 1954, but now my aged body needs something more sedate but my heart still says get something that stands out among the Honda Waves around here.

As my old Clubs motto says "Grow Old Disgracefully". B)

EDIT : I FORGOT ABOUT THE SUZUKI RAIDER 150CC ,ITS GOTTA BE ONE OF IF NOT THE FASTEST UNDERBONE TYPE SCO0TER IN BKK

THE THAI GUYS TELL ME IT EATS CBRS FOR BREAKFAST AND STOCK FOR STOCK ITS 20 KILOS LIGHTER THAN A CBR 150 SO WORTH CHECKING ALSO

(IF UR CONSIDERING SECOND HAND BECAUSE I DONT THINK THEY MAKE IT ANYMORE SINCE 2009 OR 2010 )

• 4 months later...

yamaha rx135i faster than suzuki raider but i prefer suzuki raider, it has 6 gears and not semi-automatic, yamaha 4 gears and semi-automatic

Ummm, I'm sure the Raider is much faster than a Spark.

I'm not sure if these figures are correct as they are from Wikipedia but they seem believable.

A DOHC 150cc 6speed should be faster than a SOHC 135cc 4 speed on any day.

Spark 8.45 kW (11.49 PS) @ 8,500 rpm, 103.0 kg dry

Raider 16.5 hp @ 9,500 RPM, 94.5 kg dry

wikipedia not true, spark 16hp and faster than suzuki, if you watch youtube they compare both and spark very easy pass, more than one video, and if you check motorcycle website they say same too, spark faster than suzuki,faster than cbr150 and nearly same as ninja250, half automatic gives advantage for accelaration

hey tekinsel, videos with 2 different people on 2 different bikes street racing is not a comparison.

The bikes may be modified, the tires different, the rider skill and weight different, and on and on.

One rider riding both bikes in stock condition is the only way a true comparison can be determined.

yamaha phillipines says the Sniper/Spark135 has 8.45Kw of power which is 11.33hp.

yamaha-motor.com.ph/product/sniper/tech-info.html

Yamaha would not sell a 16hp engine with 135cc and one cam, it would be a warranty claim nightmare.

It's possible the gearing makes the Spark faster off the line, but im sticking with the Raider as faster overall.

Believe whatever you want about which bike is faster, unless we ride them both, we'll never really know.

I'd love to get a Raider but they're pretty rare in the classifieds.

yamaha rx135i faster than suzuki raider but i prefer suzuki raider, it has 6 gears and not semi-automatic, yamaha 4 gears and semi-automatic

I owned a Suzuki Raider 150 for close to four years. I aslo have had a Yamaha Spark 135 for the last few months.

The Spark, whilst quite fast, is definitely not as fast as my Raider was.

hey tekinsel, videos with 2 different people on 2 different bikes street racing is not a comparison.

The bikes may be modified, the tires different, the rider skill and weight different, and on and on.

One rider riding both bikes in stock condition is the only way a true comparison can be determined.

yamaha phillipines says the Sniper/Spark135 has 8.45Kw of power which is 11.33hp.

Yamaha would not sell a 16hp engine with 135cc and one cam, it would be a warranty claim nightmare.

It's possible the gearing makes the Spark faster off the line, but im sticking with the Raider as faster overall.

Believe whatever you want about which bike is faster, unless we ride them both, we'll never really know.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/2008-Yamaha-Spark-135i-Fuel-Injection

16hp with maximum 165km, it is without modified, my friends ( Thais ) own both and they both compared too, first owner used and compared, then they changed and compared, result same, so it means rider weight.skill etc.