Good Deed & Donation...........

sunnyhor

Seeking advice here. I heard a Thai

friend said that the best to do Charity in Thailand is to donate coffin

or donate some money to Mortuary for those body who got no friends and

relatives arrange their funeral.

This is to let them have the chance to

cremate and rebirth peacefully rather to keep in the freezer. I did a drive on my last trip, drive into the forest , bought rice, oil, milk , toothpaste and other daily products for the poor in the village.

I chose to donate it to those temples not so many tourist visiting and the poor in the village really need this stuffs.

Can someone provide some info for my next trip? What is the procedure for donating for those in hospital mortuary etc. Thanks for any inputs............

Edited by metisdead
Use default forum font when posting.

Hi Sunny, in my Thai village it is not possible for a Thai to die without friends or family; not everyone is materially wealthy (though many are) but there is a wealth of community which I have never seen anywhere else (and I've travelled quite widely). Sadly an American did die alone in unfortunate circumstances a while back - the local authority / amphur arranged and paid for both a Buddhist and a Christian service (as they were not sure of his beliefs) and shipped his bones back to the States after the cremation. In my village whenever there is a death everyone in the village pays a sum towards the cost of the wake / funeral party, and one of the villagers actually has a part-time job to collect these payments (and he writes them down in a book). I just give you these details so you can see that a donation for funeral expenses is not necessary, though these provisions do vary from one local authority / amphur to another.

I would also say there is no need to donate to a village wat: wealthy wats may be good for tourism, but they are not necessary for buddhism; my village wat is not wealthy but it has everything it needs and is an organic part of daily village life.

However there is a real need in some Thai orphanages and hill-tribe villages. There are several active threads about this on this forum today, and quite a few people on the forum with a lot of relevant knowledge and experience.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the constructive advice and suggestion. At least I have some ideas where to start!!!!

But I had heard a Thai friend said, in hospital mortuary, many bodies are yet to cremated. Because no one claimed and they just leave it in the freezer until one day someone donate the amount. Don't know whether is this true?

Hi Sunny, in my Thai village it is not possible for a Thai to die without friends or family; not everyone is materially wealthy (though many are) but there is a wealth of community which I have never seen anywhere else (and I've travelled quite widely). Sadly an American did die alone in unfortunate circumstances a while back - the local authority / amphur arranged and paid for both a Buddhist and a Christian service (as they were not sure of his beliefs) and shipped his bones back to the States after the cremation. In my village whenever there is a death everyone in the village pays a sum towards the cost of the wake / funeral party, and one of the villagers actually has a part-time job to collect these payments (and he writes them down in a book). I just give you these details so you can see that a donation for funeral expenses is not necessary, though these provisions do vary from one local authority / amphur to another.

I would also say there is no need to donate to a village wat: wealthy wats may be good for tourism, but they are not necessary for buddhism; my village wat is not wealthy but it has everything it needs and is an organic part of daily village life.

However there is a real need in some Thai orphanages and hill-tribe villages. There are several active threads about this on this forum today, and quite a few people on the forum with a lot of relevant knowledge and experience.

Good luck!

Edited by sunnyhor

I can only tell you for sure what happens in my amphur/village, because each amphur can set its own 'rules' about these things. I guess it may be possible in big cities where people can just lose touch with each other, but it still seems unlikely. Maybe your friend can give you a bit more info, or just contact a hospital and ask?

There are easy well-established ways to help schools, orphanages and hill-tribe villages. My fairly limited experience of Thai villages is that they're thriving, but hill-tribe villages really do need help.

Thai friend told me, there are hundreds of body in the Mortuary waiting for cremate. So I believe there is still people who do not have friends and relatives doing the funeral for the,.

Good luck!

Anyone have similar experience? Kindly advice, appreciate!

I really do respect YOUR respect for people who have passed away.

But they have gone. They are NOT the bones left behind.

The practical problems of the proper disposal of bodies are those of the relevant authorities.

I humbly suggest that your generosity would be better directed at the living.

Other posters here have made suggestions.

I tend to generally advocate support for SOME hilltribe villages.

Many hill people, with no legal nationality, are actually trapped up there. Violence, rape and death behind them, in (what is still properly called) Burma, and in front a nation whose leaders don't want them. Thailand.

Please take your time and research.

There are so many worthy causes around here to help the living.

Thank you very much mate! Now I have alternatives or must I say, both are indeed very good. I will!!!

Anyone have similar experience? Kindly advice, appreciate!

I really do respect YOUR respect for people who have passed away.

But they have gone. They are NOT the bones left behind.

The practical problems of the proper disposal of bodies are those of the relevant authorities.

I humbly suggest that your generosity would be better directed at the living.

Other posters here have made suggestions.

I tend to generally advocate support for SOME hilltribe villages.

Many hill people, with no legal nationality, are actually trapped up there. Violence, rape and death behind them, in (what is still properly called) Burma, and in front a nation whose leaders don't want them. Thailand.

Please take your time and research.

There are so many worthy causes around here to help the living.