8 Billion Baht Sought For TAT's 'Miracle Thailand' Campaign

webfact

Well, I experienced a miracle as I got in the taxi to the airport less than a week ago on my last trip to Thailand. I was going from the condo I have used for holidays twice a years and watched deteriorate over the last ten years. I only booked the holiday this time because the flight seemed better value than any of the other candidate destinations and the condo was 40% cheaper than two years ago.

As I got in, the the driver said "Airport B500".

I said "Use the meter".

"Meter only B200" he had the gall to complain.

The miracle was that I had the exact fare.

Tip: stop treating farang as if they are incredibly stupid.

The word "last" above, may be prophetic. My first trip was 1971.

That trip was cheaper than other destinations, but not good value.

Edited by lubbkis

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus... I guess a need for 8 Billion Baht shows just what a truly difficult job it really is, to repackage the "Reality Thailand" into the new and improved "Fantasy Thailand" !!! 555

I mean, really... (being a teacher) this money could go a long way towards KILLING the ROTE method of teaching, and installing a replacement REALITY-BASED DYNAMIC Educational system, with fresh newly trained teachers... who are taught NOT to discipline the children for having the audacity to actually ASK a question in class(!!!) and instead, start teaching CREATIVE, ANALYTIC methods of THINKING, for a chance to start developing young minds of Thai children... instead of the current method of turning their brains into pudding....

{OK, my fantasy... won't happen in my lifetime, I know... and it might upset the deeply entrenched "class racism"}

OK, second idea... use these funds to set up a Thailand-based DENTAL FLOSS factory, so Thai's can actually AFFORD dental floss (I mean, really, 55 Baht {$2 !!) for imported dental floss!!! {that can easily pay for two complete meals!!!) AND this combined with massive free (government sponsored distribution) of dental floss, accompanied by TRAINING, DEMONSTRATION of usage, etc. etc.

If I had "unlimited funds" Idea #2 would become my life's work and dedication. I HATE seeing young and old Thais alike just keep having to have teeth pulled and pulled and pulled, when simple dental hygiene would eliminate this travesty.

...didn't mean to get "off topic", but really... 8 Billion Baht...!!! In this land where so many people struggle to find the next meal... it's shameful to waste these funds, if they really are available.

My two cents' worth!

• Like 2

Personally I find it offensive that a Buddhist country is claiming that their country is a miracle. I thought that a miracle is an act of God (or at least many Christians will feel that an act of God is the definition of a miracle). My God somehow blessed Thailand above other countries such that it deserve the tag "miracle"? Was it not just a month or so ago that the omniscient culture minister here declared that foreigners who got tattoos of any Buddhist image on certain areas of their body (below the waste) were to be fined. For a country so sensitive to their own religion and expecting the same of visitors, how can they be so insensitive to other cultures religions?

• Like 1

'Miracle' is a very risky word to use in any promo . Farangs dont believe in miracles so who told TAT to use it ?

Since when do Thai's care about the correct Meaning or Usage of English words.. They are Thai.. they create their own Definitions.

Examples :

Miracle - Something that actually works despite our Best efforts to screw it up by our Lack of Planning.

Mansion - A Run-down lo-So Condo/Apartment Building, not a Rich Person's Large Home.

"Amazing" being Positive and never Negative

"Serious" being only Negative and never Positive or Neutral

"Democracy" means Unelected politicians can create laws, and Freedom and Equality are not required.

"Hub" = Thailand, which is the Center of Everything.

"Coming Soon".. maybe in the Next Decade or Never!

"Customer Service" Not in Thai Vocabulary

"Suvarnabhumi" ????? Oh.. You mean Suwannapoom!!!

Etc.

Add your Own...

CS

cheesy.gif Great list

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand -- It's a Miracle anyone comes to Thailand for a vacation any more. Rip-offs, Scams, Corruption, Xenophobia, two-tiered pricing, unmetered taxis...etc., etc.... :ermm:

I agree! And not a word is ever said to the scam artist 'vultures' who thrive around popular tourist destinations such as the Grand Palace, and those who say they are from the Tourism Authority. Hotels should be up in arms about all of the anti-goodwill behaviour in Thailand. But instead they allow/encourage lazy taxi drivers to sit off their hotels and try to charge inflated fixed prices. I always walk down the road and get a taxi driving by and give him a decent tip. At least he is working for a living.

• Like 1

it will be a miracle if anyone comes here based on the advertising produced by them

the last campaign featured some brit chav looking tosser, covered in tattoos, in a Singha wife beater, wearing his battered baseball hat back to front

when asked what he thought of Thiland you would not have been surprised if he had said, ''its great you can get cheap drugs here''

the mere image of him would be enough to turn away any good business

TAT should look at the Malaysia-Truly Asia campaign

now theres quality tourist advertising that actually makes you want to go there................

Replace the "brit chav looking tosser, covered in tattoos, in a Singha wife beater, wearing his battered baseball hat back to front" with something akin to the attached pic

post-55427-0-62271200-1314595040_thumb.j

• Like 1

Personally I find it offensive that a Buddhist country is claiming that their country is a miracle. I thought that a miracle is an act of God (or at least many Christians will feel that an act of God is the definition of a miracle). My God somehow blessed Thailand above other countries such that it deserve the tag "miracle"? Was it not just a month or so ago that the omniscient culture minister here declared that foreigners who got tattoos of any Buddhist image on certain areas of their body (below the waste) were to be fined. For a country so sensitive to their own religion and expecting the same of visitors, how can they be so insensitive to other cultures religions?

Get real. (Miracle) is not a religion period! More of a belief. Bashing Thailand for using a word? Come on Businessman how can you be so insensitive to a universal belief that does not belong to any country or religion period.jap.gif

• Like 1

Are you all ( who post replies here ) live in Thailand ? I is amazing to see how much hatered most of you have to this place or yuo just like to troll . Don't you want this campain to be a success ?

It is not that we don't want it to be a success... We just want Thailand to be the Best it can be.

We are tired about the constant misuse of the English language, like it doesn't have an international impact on Thailand's reputation.

Outside Thailand, Thailand is laughed at because they use the language improperly... The government should hire the Best, not the cheapest, to check that they have made no errors. It shows a total lack of respect for the Foreigners that they are trying to attract, and leaves them with a very bad impression of uneducated Thais.

And if Thais have no respect for Foreigners, then Foreigners wonder why they should respect Thais & Thailand!

CS

Why moan? Tell your people and friends what it is all about and meet them somewhere else. Too many clowns and not enough circuses. I see the increase of tourists from China, India and Russia. All rubbish and no way of turning this into quality tourism. There is a message, if one of the biggest inbound operators, Diethelm Travel, anncounced the closure of their operations in Chiang Rai, Kho Samui and Koh Phuket. The wealthier quality tourist is meanwhile vacationing in countries where he is not getting cheated, fuc_ked-you, insulted and overpriced. The TAT-farts might want to vacation once in Vietnam, Malaysia, (fully booked) Singapore, Indonedia or Laos. But then again, intelligence is not on cards - connections in cheating and shoulder rubbing is. Poor Thailand!

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who presented her government's tourism policies to the Cabinet, hopes to boost total visitors to 30 million per year

:cheesy:

30 million... hahahaha...

The new government is also hoping to boost tourism income to Bt2 trillion per year by 2016.

2 million Elite Cards

it appears that the Govt does not"plan to achieve these targets, but is only hoping to achieve them. Given the mysterious tourist deaths, and the less mysterious suicides where people apparently beat themselves to death, it is a miracle that anyone survives a trip to Thailand.

Are you all ( who post replies here ) live in Thailand ? I is amazing to see how much hatered most of you have to this place or yuo just like to troll . Don't you want this campain to be a success ?

I think you are misunderstanding the intent of the people posting. They're not expressing hatred of Thailand--probably, in fact, the exact opposite. I, for one, love Thailand. What I hate to see is a big waste of a scarce resource (money) on a project that won't succeed, and may actually do damage. All this will happen because of poor research and planning, major corruption, and this idea the Thai government has that seeking outside help (eg, a native English speaker) is somehow losing face. I (dare I say we?) want to see Thailand succeed--I (we) have a vision of what it could be like--but I (we) are also realistic about the challenges it faces, and the self imposed obstacles that too often make Thailand its own worst enemy.

'Miracle' is a very risky word to use in any promo . Farangs dont believe in miracles so who told TAT to use it ?

Probably targeting the supersticious Asian market more. Always easier to trick money from newcomers. Many similarities between TAT and a bargirl.

A better use for the money would be to clean up this country and in that way attract more visitors. Especially returning visitors. Many who come here once dont return anymore because of the increased numbers of rip-offs, filth etc. For example, just take a look at the beach scene now and a few years back. Dirty, stinky and so on.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who presented her government's tourism policies to the Cabinet, hopes to boost total visitors to 30 million per year

30 million... hahahaha...

The new government is also hoping to boost tourism income to Bt2 trillion per year by 2016.

2 million Elite Cards

Also, i seem to remember reading somewhere, that they include in their count, those tourists who are transfering flights via Bkk !!

Start to look over your visa. As now you have to stay max 30 days but make it more easy to get a visa for 90 days. Look at the tourist who had built houses in Thailand for retirer in Thailand, let them come and stay up to 180 days without to have to make boarder- run. That gives much more for the country and let them buy ground for their houses maximum 1 rai . That gives much more than touriscamp.

I think you are misunderstanding the intent of the people posting. They're not expressing hatred of Thailand--probably, in fact, the exact opposite. I, for one, love Thailand. What I hate to see is a big waste of a scarce resource (money) on a project that won't succeed, and may actually do damage. All this will happen because of poor research and planning, major corruption, and this idea the Thai government has that seeking outside help (eg, a native English speaker) is somehow losing face. I (dare I say we?) want to see Thailand succeed--I (we) have a vision of what it could be like--but I (we) are also realistic about the challenges it faces, and the self imposed obstacles that too often make Thailand its own worst enemy.

I agree with this last statement 100%, ive lived here for six plus years now, have a Thai reg company, two houses, other business interests and pay tax. Its up to the thai's to get it right this time, the rest of the globe seems to understand how important it is, including a certain hunger striker in India this last few weeks !!

So long as the baht is being artificially propped up at its current levels (25-28% higher than it should be) it will not be a value oriented destination.

I am real curious how the baht is being artificially propped up?

I do not think much about tourism but when I take a look at the global situation Thailand is in very decent shape.

Perhaps they (TAT) should put those big plastic donation boxes like the Red Cross in Tesco and if every one of the 30 million put in $1 TAT should show a profit in the first year. The rest is gravy!

Edited by elgato