Are The Majority Of Thais Physically Fit?

johnbits

I have only dated one bargirl and one regular Thai lady, both of them were more than 20 years younger than me, I am 59.

But I can easily walk 10 KM or bike 60 KM, both of these ladies were played out after walking a few KM. Most Thais I have seen in the parks and free exercise areas avoid exercise, not all certainly, but the majority. Granted many Thais are slim, but I have also read that diabetes is one of the fastest growing diseases in Thailand, and my Thai GF's parents have high blood pressure and the Thai mother also has diabetes.

And I have noticed everyone jumps on scooters if they have to walk more than a 100 meters. (I have dated a Hong Kong lady, and she was in good shape, but she was hi/so and into working out.).

I have also seen when a Thai lady gets married and if her husband are very successful, they tend to hire cooks and help around the house, and they and their children look a lot more like a typical USA family, gaining a lot of weight.

Since I don't have a lot of experience with how fit most Thais are, I wanted to ask what most forum members thought about this.

Edited by johnbits

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite correct, if you are referring to big city residents. In rural areas ,it is the women who do the work,the men are basically lazy. You watch who is planting the paddy- it is 95% women. The men are there ,but they are sitting on the side of the road, smoking. However ,as i said many times before ,obesity is now a serious problem here. And it is the women who, at present are the major sufferers.But go into the Private schools in Bkk, and see how young boys cannot play ANY sport .They are far too fat..Around 10% of Thais , presently suffer from diabetes ,type 2. An epidemic is on the way.

I dated two go go dancers that could dance on stage for an 8 hour shift (no, not the Bangkok shuffle) and then go to a disco and dance another 2 hours and then go home and .......... I'd say that is fit.

Edited by kerryk

I dated two go go dancers that could dance on stage for an 8 hour shift (no, not the Bangkok shuffle) and then go to a disco and dance another 2 hours and then go home and .......... I'd say that is fit.

The go go dancers are not the "majority of Thais", only a very small percentage. Plus a very high percentage of them are energized by class A drugs, Ya Ba / Ya Ice so the 8 hour shift you see them boogie woogie is a false economy.

JH

The go go dancers are not the "majority of Thais", only a very small percentage. Plus a very high percentage of them are energized by class A drugs, Ya Ba / Ya Ice so the 8 hour shift you see them boogie woogie is a false economy.

JH

55555555 ,well said.Except in the main ,although ,maybe on the premises for 8 hours,they are not "dancing" ,if that is what it is called,for those 8hours.

JH

55555555 ,well said.Except in the main ,although ,maybe on the premises for 8 hours,they are not "dancing" ,if that is what it is called,for those 8hours.

You mean they told me a fib? They said they only danced!!! And those pills were from the doctor to help them stay slim!! I have been had :angry:

OK, here's my thoughts.

I think generally they have a very good diet.

Most Thai males smoke / drink whisky or beer ( or both ! ) almost daily. They also do not have the time or means or motivation to exercise so you would have to assume not very fit.

Most Thai females don't drink or smoke but also do not have the time or means or motivation to exercise. They would be in decent health i'd imagine but not fit by any means.

No one in this country walks any more than they have too. The foot paths are crap & you can pretty much park right outside where you need to go with motorbike or get dropped of right outside by motorbike taxi. You also have to bear in mind in this tropical climate walking will make you hot and sticky and uncomfortable, likewise the same could be said for when it rains.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth, i'm waffling on now....

JH

Having spent 14 winters in Thailand while wandering around in the back country I would guess the OP is not far wrong. Yes, there are some very VERY athletic young men playing sports, but that is not the norm. I know just from observation that Thais will ride a scooter 200 meters rather than walk. I can also attest to the fact that many young bar girls are not very fit. I've take a few on hikes and they were tuckered out long before I was... and I'm 71. Yes, some of the go-go dancers are fit, but there really aren't that many of them. And, I disagree that they are all on drugs. I haven't seen much of that despite being aware of it.

But, who really cares how others live their lives? I know a WHOLE LOT of obese Canadians. A stroll through any supermarket in Canada or the USA will prove that. And, I'm not talking about middle age people. I'm talking about the young ones in their twenties.

I can also attest to the fact that many young bar girls are not very fit. I've take a few on hikes and they were tuckered out long before I was... and I'm 71.

I think they are as fit as they want to be.

Instead of taking them on a hiking trip try taking them on a shopping trip and see who's knackered at the end of the day :D

I can also attest to the fact that many young bar girls are not very fit. I've take a few on hikes and they were tuckered out long before I was... and I'm 71.

Instead of taking them on a hiking trip try taking them on a shopping trip and see who's knackered at the end of the day :D

I've done that also. It's kind of fun watching what they choose. It's definitely a learning experience. A few have good taste in clothes while most others go for the flossy, glitzy stuff.

Yeah It is amazing what can be achieved when one is motivated!

Generally speaking Thais are pretty unfit and many have a very poor diet high in fat,salt and sugar.

But ditto for many in western countries too.

You should see the number of jumbo size women in Australia it is truly frightening.

As Thailand becomes more westernised it too is inheriting many of the problems that western countries have.

But, who really cares how others live their lives?

Obviously, a great number do concern themselves with imagined and fancied superlatives and comparatives as such applies to seemingly lower-status cultures and critical pursuits.

But, who really cares how others live their lives?

Obviously, a great number do concern themselves with imagined and fancied superlatives and comparatives as such applies to seemingly lower-status cultures and critical pursuits.

And in English that means exactly what?

JH

:cheesy: 5555 I have to say if I want my wife to go for a walk to and along the beach, well... Let's just say, she actually did it once!

Yet, if I suggest "Let's go shopping!" she's at the door (with helmet in her hand!)

She won't walk to the family mart and it's barely 200m

But I do have to say, we've been in Bangkok for the last couple of weeks and she found out about Platinum (fashion shop for the girls, 5 floors spread over 2-3 buildings!). Just up the road was a much smaller technology plaza (Pantip). She went one way, I went the other. I figured she'd be at it for HOURS!! It was hardly an hour later and she was done. She couldn't walk anymore. I had only covered half of a building a third of the size of the one she was in. She told me later she only half walked on 2 or 3 floors (ie she didn't cover them totally).

Although, she has been back there two more times and wants to go tomorrow before we leave :rolleyes:

But I do have to say, we've been in Bangkok for the last couple of weeks and she found out about Platinum (fashion shop for the girls, 5 floors spread over 2-3 buildings!). Just up the road was a much smaller technology plaza (Pantip). She went one way, I went the other. I figured she'd be at it for HOURS!! It was hardly an hour later and she was done. She couldn't walk anymore.

My experience is opposite. When I go to Panthip with the GF, she moves to Platinum and stays there for hours. I have sufficient time to stroll around Panthip.

When I'm finally done and tired, she is still in Platinum and I'm already settling with a coffee and wait for her.

The perfect solution for shopping with the GF! :D

Yeah my wife can walk the hell out of Platinum fashion mall.

We are both fit and run, but when it comes to hiking up, she does tire very quickly.

But me in a shopping mall, I am dead after 2 hours and I am usually going somewhere for a 2 hour massage while she covers each floor a few times.

I think Thais, as a whole, are as fit (or not fit) as people in most other countries. What surprises me, though, is that the people who exercise don't seem to really put out much effort, as a whole.

I am very competitive by nature, so when I run, for example, I count how many people I pass versus how many pass me. I have to pass more than pass me on each run. In Washington D.C. in the winter or in Southern California, sometimes I get close to having more people pass me. In Thailand, though, I never even get close to being passed more.

And in the gym, except for maybe three guys, no one lifts close to what I lift, and I am in my fifties. In the US, I am barely in the middle (granted, I lift in a Marine Corps gym there, but still.) On the stationary bikes and other equipment here in Thailand, the standard resistance setting is "1." I can get on a bike five or six minutes after someone else, yet I can match his or her calorie burn within five minutes.

Overall, as I wrote above, I think Thais fitness level is on par with most other places. But for the exercise crowd, in my experience, Thais don't exert themselves as much. Although with Olympic gold medal weightlifters in Thailand, I have to admit that my observations may be limited to CaliWow and more dedicated exercise nuts use different facilities.

Even at the gym, the ones that come everyday are really unfit(males).

The woman are naturally unfit but those at the gym are preeetay fit.

this guy walking with his chest up(what chest) has been coming everyday for a year and hes still curling 10kg and screaming in pain after 4rep... my 40kg gf whos unfit can do it...

Edited by thaiIand

this guy walking with his chest up(what chest) has been coming everyday for a year and hes still curling 10kg and screaming in pain after 4rep... my 40kg gf whos unfit can do it...

Its not about the weight its how you do your exercise. Some people can have a better workout with lower weights then people with heavy weights.

Its not about the weight its how you do your exercise. Some people can have a better workout with lower weights then people with heavy weights.

That is correct but i think the point he's trying to make is the guys been coming for a year and no progress, no motivation. I see them come to the gym and just mince about, BS with there buddies, watch TV, pay in front of mirrors - that's not training, there as well staying at home....

JH

That is correct but i think the point he's trying to make is the guys been coming for a year and no progress, no motivation. I see them come to the gym and just mince about, BS with there buddies, watch TV, pay in front of mirrors - that's not training, there as well staying at home....

JH

Sure i get that, i have years of experience in the gym. Just that some people are focused on heavy weights. I can slack off doing 80% of my normal weights and people would consider that i train heavy. While that day I am not putting the effort in there that i should.

JH

Sure i get that, i have years of experience in the gym. Just that some people are focused on heavy weights. I can slack off doing 80% of my normal weights and people would consider that i train heavy. While that day I am not putting the effort in there that i should.

Yes, see these guys in the gym all the time that are focused on heavy weights, all they end up doing is hurting themselves and making no gains coz they don't know what they're doing.

JH