Nan Province Border Crossing Into Laos

oldsalt

Has anyone taken the road from the Laos side of the Nan province border crossing (Huai Kon) to Luang Prabang? Photos I have seen are of 4 wheel drives fording streams, but a Luang Prabang travel agent has told me the trip can be done in an ordinary vehicle. However, the agent also recommends an overnight stop in Oudomxay, which suggests that the 150km (or therabouts) distance from the crossing to LP cannot be travelled that rapidly.

Unless the agent is just looking for extra revenue. Any intrepid traveller input welcome on the condition of the road and the approximate travel time.

The crossing is now open to foreigners, but you need to get the visa in Bangkok first. Although, I have read conflicting reports on this - a travel blog says you can now get visa on arrival. I will not take the chance though.

I drove up to this border point in 2008 on the offchance that a visa on demand might be available, but was told that the crossing was only available to Thai and Laos nationals. This may have changed by now though.

The crossing is now open to foreigners, but you need to get the visa in Bangkok first. Although, I have read conflicting reports on this - a travel blog says you can now get visa on arrival. I will not take the chance though.

I drove up to this border point in 2008 on the offchance that a visa on demand might be available, but was told that the crossing was only available to Thai and Laos nationals. This may have changed by now though.

My friends traveled that way last year and published report,which is in language you will not understand.They got Lao visa there.They stayed in Hamsa - world capital of elephants for few days,made some treks there,then proceeded to MekhongRiver and the rest of journey to LP they finished by boat.All the way they used local transport.They had some problem to find that border crossing on Thai side.VOA(visa on arrivel) is available there according to some official sources,if you get it in advance from Lao Embassy - it will cost you 5 bucks less at least. Road was so,so ;there is big construction site in that area - coal mine and power station at early stage of development,may be halted now.

tell us about your experience,if you could?

Many thanks. If I get to do the trip, I'll file a report. But at this stage, the Laos travel agent seems to have lost interest. They wanted to plan a whole trip for us in Laos, but all we need is the transport from the border crossing down to Luang Prabang. Possibly, not enough money for them in that. It is shaping up to be easier to fly from Nan (where we will be staying) to Chiang Mai and then from there to LP. We're not young travellers so don't want to take the risk of crossing at the border and being stuck there, or being stuck in a sub standard vehicle. Have already done the sub standard car some years ago- from the Thai border to Siem Reap on the famous "red road" (red for the dust) - and that was no fun......I've also sent a note to a Nan travel agent, so might have better luck there in trying to plan the road trip.

r

My friends traveled that way last year and published report,which is in language you will not understand.They got Lao visa there.They stayed in Hamsa - world capital of elephants for few days,made some treks there,then proceeded to MekhongRiver and the rest of journey to LP they finished by boat.All the way they used local transport.They had some problem to find that border crossing on Thai side.VOA(visa on arrivel) is available there according to some official sources,if you get it in advance from Lao Embassy - it will cost you 5 bucks less at least. Road was so,so ;there is big construction site in that area - coal mine and power station at early stage of development,may be halted now.

tell us about your experience,if you could?

Thaks. A very useful website for travellers in the north.

Your travel agent won't be making any money booking a hotel for you in Oudomxai. The most expensive hotel in town is probably less than 800 baht.

Up to date info on the border crossing and road conditions can be found on the GT Rider website.