Best Sim Card Deal

Skorz

Hi there,

I own a UK purchased (unlocked) HTC Desire HD. I'm looking for a SIM deal (pay as you go) that offers mobile internet connection and the usual calls/texts.

I will be using the phone in Bangkok so I'd imagine that 3G coverage is available.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks.

Skorz.

Maybe One-2-Call Freedom SIM with a data plan? (One-2-Call is the pre-paid brand for AIS which just launched a 900 Mhz 3G network in metro-Bangkok and some select provinces. SInce your model supports 900 Mhz 3G this may be the best choice?)

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/sim-freedom1.html

Maybe layer on a 1GB data plan fro 350 baht/30 days?

http://www.ais.co.th/vas/datatips/en/index.html

Would this work for my needs as well?

I would just like to be able to use Google Maps on my unlocked Blackberry. I currently have a DTAC Happy sim, but it is for voice only. I want to be able to hop on the motorbike, drive all day exploring and not need to worry about finding my way back home. I had previously used my former employer's issued iphone and it worked great...I never had to pay the bill.

Could I pick up one of these sims upon arrival at BKK or at an outlet in Cha Am/Hua Hin?

Any way to just add data service to my DTAC Happy sim?

I would just like to be able to use Google Maps on my unlocked Blackberry. I currently have a DTAC Happy sim, but it is for voice only. I want to be able to hop on the motorbike, drive all day exploring and not need to worry about finding my way back home. I had previously used my former employer's issued iphone and it worked great...I never had to pay the bill.

Could I pick up one of these sims upon arrival at BKK or at an outlet in Cha Am/Hua Hin?

No DTAC 3G in Cha Am/ Hua Hin, Truemove had 3G in both Cha Am and Hua Hin for me, last week. DTAC and Truemove (H) operate 3G on 850 Mhz.

FWIW, you can cache (download to your phone) a limited number (ten) of "squares" (10 miles x 10 miles) with Google Maps now so maybe no need for a constant data connection?

Finally, an answer... Yes. You can add data service to a Happy SIM. Make sure you have enough balance to support the desired plan (note prices are exclusive of 7% VAT so remember to add that in).

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281&Itemid=265〈=th

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=333&Itemid=368〈=en

so if you wanted 1 GB for 30 days at 349 baht you would enter *104*27# and SEND.

I have True 3G for my iPhone 4 (But I assume what I am experiencing would happen on all carriers)... My experience with Google Maps is great in the city with a fast connection BUT once you get out of the 3G area Google Maps slows to a crawl!!! redrawing the map takes forever and can just stop - I wish there was a way to cache the maps for a general area before you went on a road trip

Edited by sfokevin

I wish there was a way to cache the maps for a general area before you went on a road trip

You can now cache, download to your phone, up to ten (10) squares (10 mi. x 10 mi.), with Google Maps. I suspect there may be a hack for more, but I haven't looked for it yet.

OSM, free in The Market, has free maps, fully-downloadable maps of Thailand which look pretty good, also has navigation.

• 2 weeks later...