Dark Side Bookshop

moddeydhoo

Just stopped into a new second hand bookshop down soi Khao noi, run by an set up by an English fella and run by his wife,

Star books (I think it's a bit of a Starbucks joke). Not a massive amount of books but seems to have the most popular authors covered.

the decors done nice and there is a very pleasant readers garden at the back with WiFi access that's free to use (well buy a coffee).

They told me that they have all the books published online so if you are after something you can check to see if they have it from home....

www.starbookworm.com pm me if you cant find it.

Yes exactly where is it? I have a few books I want to drop off for donation. The website is terrible and to the OP if you are the owner I suggest you ask your website designer to add more info like a map or even location directions etc.

Sorry: didn't mean to say it is terrible but you should do like I said about info directions etc.

Edited by DocW

I did say PM me if you couldn't find it. If you head up Soi Khao Noi from Sukhumvit go all the way up the hill follow the road round to the right past &/11 on left and its about 100m on the right opposite the small market and couple of doors down from the Mango bar. as a side note, no I am not the owner, but glad to see that there are useful businesses like this on the dark side. As a previous poster said the dark side is getting better and better in more ways than one.

Yes exactly where is it? I have a few books I want to drop off for donation. The website is terrible and to the OP if you are the owner I suggest you ask your website designer to add more info like a map or even location directions etc.

Sorry: didn't mean to say it is terrible but you should do like I said about info directions etc.

• 1 month later...

The website has been improved a bit

There is a map on the website:

http://www.starbookworm.com/map.php

I've been in a couple of times and bought two or three books there. As the OP stated it is well designed and very customer friendly

One observation where he could perhaps improve is that he only allows 50 baht trade in on a book brought from elsewhere. Other bookshops in Pattaya generally give 50-100 baht depending on the type of book condition etc. This one price fits all policy will maybe discourage customers from trading in half decent books that they know they can get more credit from elsewhere which in turn will have a knock on effect on the quality of his stock.

I've been in a couple of times and bought two or three books there. As the OP stated it is well designed and very customer friendly

One observation where he could perhaps improve is that he only allows 50 baht trade in on a book brought from elsewhere. Other bookshops in Pattaya generally give 50-100 baht depending on the type of book condition etc. This one price fits all policy will maybe discourage customers from trading in half decent books that they know they can get more credit from elsewhere which in turn will have a knock on effect on the quality of his stock.

It would make sense to match the competitors, or even exceed them, if the goal is to build the inventory of desirable books to attract more customers.

My wife and I will be moving to Pattaya at the end of the year, and will certainly have a look - we are both avid readers..

The website says 50% trade-in, NOT B50?!

50% trade in from books you have bought from them yes.

The B50 price applies to all books brought in from elsewhere (i.e not previously purchased at Star Books).

The website says 50% trade-in, NOT B50?!

50% trade in from books you have bought from them yes.

The B50 price applies to all books brought in from elsewhere (i.e not previously purchased at Star Books).

That's standard with most s/hand book shops

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...