Chiefs Of Three Police Stations In Bangkok Transferred Over Gambling Dens

webfact

I can't get over the hypocrisy I see on threads such as these.

Never slipped a copper 200 baht?

Never bought ripped off software or movies at Pantip or on the street?

Never taken bar-fined BG? (where do you think a portion of the bar fine goes?)

Never bought her a 'real-fake' hand bag for her?

You've all benefited from the same corruption, yet you come on here and whinge.

So you support corruption then?

Actually, I don't. But then, I've been an advisor to the Thai government for a number of years and have a general - and sometimes intimate - knowledge of how things 'work' and the dysfuction that it causes, so I've got more reason than most not to support it.

But you amongst others seem to have taken my post as some sort of support for it. It couldn't be further from the truth.

What I did manage to do was hold up a mirror to most of your faces and you didn't like what you saw....the face of a hypocrite.

So the only comeback any of you had was to wheel out that old 'Thai apologist' line...as if that is some sort of insult.

actually, none of the above

Then you may cast the first stone.

Glass houses and all that...

In the 2010/11 financial year, the UK raised £850 million in betting and gaming duty excluding the lottery. [source HMRC: Receipts from Betting and Gaming Duties: July 2011 Bulletin]

The gaming industry is taxed in Thailand too, albeit informally.

The UK and Thailand have similar populations, though Thais and East Asians in general enjoy gambling more.

The new government has to ensure this £850 million or 41 billion Baht per year gets channeled to Pheua Thai people and not to its opponents.

This is one factor in this story.

Probably the only factor I reckon.

Its not only the corruption that is completely screwed up, its the double standards. These bunch of clowns "if found guilty may lose their chance of promotion" yet if it was the average Joe, or a foreigner, straight to the lock up with a less than adequate trial. Correct that corruption is deeply entrenched in the Thai ethics, or lack there of, however a good start on the road to clean up would be the same rule of law for all.

So, you think it's okay to slip a cop a 200 baht bribe, or buy fake copyrighted material, or pay for a bar gil, or buy fake name brand handbags for your girl, or being corrupt. That settles it, YOU are just as corrupt as the people you work for.

EXZACORY ! I know that b4 the local bars in chiang mai started paying the police to continue late night checks (signing the book at each bar) that crime and muggings for tourists was bad and has been quite an improvement since, I think we all have some benefits from slipping the odd baht to the underpaid police and the pirate cd/ the real crimms are the politicians in this world who screw us all.

So, you think it's okay to slip a cop a 200 baht bribe, or buy fake copyrighted material, or pay for a bar gil, or buy fake name brand handbags for your girl, or being corrupt. That settles it, YOU are just as corrupt as the people you work for.

The only thing that is settled is either you can not read very well or you comprehension of the English language is quite limited.

Never slipped a copper 200 baht? NO

Never bought ripped off software or movies at Pantip or on the street? NO

Never taken bar-fined BG? (where do you think a portion of the bar fine goes?) NO

Never bought her a 'real-fake' hand bag for her? NO

You've all benefited from the same corruption, yet you come on here and whinge. ALL? MAYBE JUST YOU AND YOUR ILK.

What a laugh: the current "Deputy PM" has a very shady past himself;remember this:

-------------------------------------------------------

Thai politician's son acquitted

Duangchalerm was flanked by his father as he left court

A Thai court has acquitted a high-profile politician's son of murdering a policeman who was shot during a nightclub brawl.

Duangchalerm Yoobamrung, who is the son of the former justice minister, Chalerm Yoobamrung, was cleared of all charges.

The court ruled that the prosecution had presented insufficient evidence and conflicting witness testimonies.

The case enthralled the nation and was seen as a test of whether the rich and powerful could evade justice.

Correspondents say the verdict is likely to cause public anger.

Manhunt

Four other co-defendants, including Duangchalerm's elder brother, Wanchalerm, were also acquitted of charges related to the shooting.

But the court sentenced Wanchalerm to a one-month suspended jail term and a 1,000 baht ($25) fine for assaulting a security official.

The shooting took place in the favourite haunt of the MP's three playboy sons and their friends, after one man trod on another's foot and a brawl ensued.

The defendant disappeared after the shooting, sparking one of Thailand's biggest manhunts in years.

Public scandal

Duangchalerm was charged in his absence, in 2001, with shooting police sergeant Suvichai Rodvimut in the head at point blank range while other men held him down.

He surrendered himself to the Thai embassy in Malaysia after six months in hiding.

The scandal surrounding the incident caused Duangchalerm's father, a veteran politician, to lose his job as the deputy leader of the New Aspiration Party, which is a member of the ruling coalition.

Chalerm Yoobamrung supported his son throughout the case and even launched a magazine, to counter what he called biased media coverage.

After the verdict he said: "I respect the court judgement and will have my son ordained to be a monk for two months."

Enrolling as a monk for a brief period of time is a common practice for men in Thailand.

-------------------------------------------------------

You go figure . . . . .

:D:D:D

Edited by jaapfries

DoctorG, why don't you come out from behind your anonymous online persona and accuse me of corruption again? I'll sue your sorry excuse of a bottom back to wherever you came from.

Where are the mods?

What's the problem? You accused the expat community at large of being corrupt, are you some kind of exception to your own rule?