British Embassy Advertising For A Vice Consul In Pattaya

theoldgit

The British Embassy is advertising for a Locally Engaged person to carry out the role of Vice Consul, Head of Post, at Pattaya on a full time basis, the closing date for applications is 23 September and the full details can be found here http://ukinthailand....-us/job-vacancy

I'm assuming that they they are upgrading the post that is currently carried out by Howard Miller on a voluntary basis, and he will be odds on favourite to be appointed, I'm only guessing here.

Yes, Pattaya needs a full time British Consulate but I do not think that is the reason for the upgrade, probably more a way making the "Honorary" post redundant without sacking him.

For those of you who have had an interest in Pattaya for many years you will remember Sir Barry Kenyon even if like myself you had not meet him, just reading about him you would realise what a true gentleman he was, always ready to help anybody even non Brits, I never heard a bad word said about him.

On the other hand you have Howard, he was a controversial person before his appointment to the post of Honorary Consul.

Since his appointment I just do not see any comments of people saying what a helpful person he is like they used to say about Sir Barry.

And do not forget the alarmist "pattaya One" opening gambit "Visa overstay the untold story".

And why now just over one year into a five year contract, they must have considered this only 18 months ago and decided to continue with the Honorary position, why not wait another 3 years?

I doubt Sir Howard will be appointed to the new position (but I would not bet on it).

Edited by Basil B

It's 46,000 pcm salary, crap money for what could be a lot of grief.

Locally employed staff are always paid significantly less than the same grade on a posting from the UK and of course don't get the overseas allowances.

I don't know what Civil Service grade it equates to.

Aah Sir Smokie...has a nice ring to it ....I have an enhanced disclosure...as British as they come I am...love a good curry as well.

My only concern is well....I'm just wondering if the salary includes a modest home...with only a handful of servants and freshly delivered flowers.....

I like to enjoy the frangipani in the evenings on the verandah with a campari and soda.....all are welcome! smile.gif

Yes, Pattaya needs a full time British Consulate but I do not think that is the reason for the upgrade, probably more a way making the "Honorary" post redundant without sacking him.

For those of you who have had an interest in Pattaya for many years you will remember Sir Barry Kenyon even if like myself you had not meet him, just reading about him you would realise what a true gentleman he was, always ready to help anybody even non Brits, I never heard a bad word said about him.

On the other hand you have Howard, he was a controversial person before his appointment to the post of Honorary Consul.

Since his appointment I just do not see any comments of people saying what a helpful person he is like they used to say about Sir Barry.

And do not forget the alarmist "pattaya One" opening gambit "Visa overstay – the untold story".

And why now just over one year into a five year contract, they must have considered this only 18 months ago and decided to continue with the Honorary position, why not wait another 3 years?

I doubt Sir Howard will be appointed to the new position (but I would not bet on it).

Barry was fantastic. Helped everybody...even the ones coming in drunk at 8am...beer still in hand. I enjoyed chatting with him while I waited for my number to be called. Nice man. He has quite the background also!

And do not forget the alarmist "pattaya One" opening gambit "Visa overstay – the untold story".

Barry was fantastic. Helped everybody...even the ones coming in drunk at 8am...beer still in hand. I enjoyed chatting with him while I waited for my number to be called. Nice man. He has quite the background also!

i agree with Craig entirely, Barry is a very helpful man and continues to be so even though he is now playing for the other side

gamekeeper turned poacher one might say...

however i have to disagree with some of the other posters here about Howard Miller

i did not know him at all before he took this post so i was not bogged down with any issues about tourist police, TV shows or newspapers

hence i took him as i found him, and i found him to be a genuinely helpful, friendly, patient and respectful individual

he seemed well informed and eager to help resolve peoples problems

if this is a job that is being offered and Howard is in the running for it then based on my interactions with him, i think he deserves to get it...........

....however i have to disagree with some of the other posters here about Howard Miller ..........if this is a job that is being offered and Howard is in the running for it then based on my interactions with him, i think he deserves to get it...........

It doesn't really matter what you or any of us think about the present Honorary Consul or future Vice-Consul - all the Embassy can do is choose the best (hopefully) of those applying, and for a salary which is little more than a tenth of what a regular Embassy official doing the same job would get (including allowances, etc) it is little wonder that those applying may not be the cream.

When Barry was asked to do the job officially he had already been carrying out most of the tasks of the HC / V-C for some time with no salary, little recognition and none of the "status" usually associated with the title.

Whatever imagined "status" the position may have had has now gone and the Embassy are asking for applications from those wanting to be a doormat for ten hours a day, four and a half days a week, and "on-call" 24/7 - all for less than 40,000 baht a month after the salary has been "abated". Unless they (and we) are very lucky it is unlikely that anyone with any form of family, social or personal life or any real ability will apply - there aren't many "Barry's" out there unfortunately, particularly in Pattaya, so although we may get something that floats it probably won't be cream.

(Vacancies close 23 September!)

Totally agree with not going to get the cream or anywhere near it.

....however i have to disagree with some of the other posters here about Howard Miller ..........if this is a job that is being offered and Howard is in the running for it then based on my interactions with him, i think he deserves to get it...........

It doesn't really matter what you or any of us think about the present Honorary Consul or future Vice-Consul - all the Embassy can do is choose the best (hopefully) of those applying, and for a salary which is little more than a tenth of what a regular Embassy official doing the same job would get (including allowances, etc) it is little wonder that those applying may not be the cream.

When Barry was asked to do the job officially he had already been carrying out most of the tasks of the HC / V-C for some time with no salary, little recognition and none of the "status" usually associated with the title.

Whatever imagined "status" the position may have had has now gone and the Embassy are asking for applications from those wanting to be a doormat for ten hours a day, four and a half days a week, and "on-call" 24/7 - all for less than 40,000 baht a month after the salary has been "abated". Unless they (and we) are very lucky it is unlikely that anyone with any form of family, social or personal life or any real ability will apply - there aren't many "Barry's" out there unfortunately, particularly in Pattaya, so although we may get something that floats it probably won't be cream.

(Vacancies close 23 September!)

Although the job doesn't pay that well, there should be some reasonable expenses and other allowances.

The current system clearly isn't working out too well I guess, but it is a bit too much to expect miracles from a guy who does this on an almost voluntary basis for little or no reward except for perhaps a little prestige.

I could have got some sensitive documents stamped here in Pattaya but chose to travel to Bangkok because of the current HC's conflict of interest with the local media and not to mention his previous links to the local police, I wonder if anyone else has felt this way too? I suppose leaving a guy for dead in the local police station probably isn't a great thing to put on a resume.

Vice Consuls in Bangkok Ive met have been Thai, wonder if this could apply in Pattaya.

But the job could suit somebody who has retired here early and is looking for something to keep him/her occupied, perhaps he's done about as much that is possible to his Garden and is bored. Maybe he is also looking for a step up the social ladder, so to speak.

.... Has he been CRB checked?

Despite all the noise about CRB checks by the assorted police volunteers the basic CRB check only shows relatively serious offences and is next to meaningless as any sort of character reference.

No offences committed as a minor are shown, neither are any "spent" convictions - under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974: "A person convicted of all but the most serious criminal offences and who receives a sentence less than 2.5 years in prison, benefits from the Act if they are not convicted again during a specified period".

Anyone connected with security checks or vetting knows that, and also knows that anyone shouting about their CRB proving their "good character" probably knows it too.

... Maybe he is also looking for a step up the social ladder, so to speak.

In Pattaya? That social ladder must be on pretty shaky ground!

Although the job doesn't pay that well, there should be some reasonable expenses and other allowances.

The current system clearly isn't working out too well I guess, but it is a bit too much to expect miracles from a guy who does this on an almost voluntary basis for little or no reward except for perhaps a little prestige.

I could have got some sensitive documents stamped here in Pattaya but chose to travel to Bangkok because of the current HC's conflict of interest with the local media and not to mention his previous links to the local police, I wonder if anyone else has felt this way too? I suppose leaving a guy for dead in the local police station probably isn't a great thing to put on a resume.

Vice Consuls in Bangkok Ive met have been Thai, wonder if this could apply in Pattaya.

But the job could suit somebody who has retired here early and is looking for something to keep him/her occupied, perhaps he's done about as much that is possible to his Garden and is bored. Maybe he is also looking for a step up the social ladder, so to speak.

Feel exactly the same, has to be a confict that the media job is a conflict of interest. surley HC is privvy to private information that will end up in the press due to the conflict. no i personally would not use HC should it be the for gone conclusion as it is as to who will get the job. still i am in Samui and DC is spot on. HM is not so popular i gather. but if the job helps the media business i am sure the salary and hours will be irrelevant.

whilst i do not wish it on anyone

some of you posting here will not give a shit if Howard is related to Saddam Hussein or the Kray's if you really needed him

when you are crouched in a corner in fear of your life in a 10x8 with 20 stinking drug dealers and murderers, i expect the fact that he owns a newspaper, was a Tourist volunteer or any other damned critisicm you want to make will not matter to you one jot.

Howard Miller does a good job in my view, he had big shoes to climb into and what he does not need is endless criticism from armchair internet warriors with nothing better to do than slag off people that are doing difficult jobs that they are not even near capable of doing themselves

its notable that when Barry had the job he was subjected to many criticisms by members of this forum too

i remember defending him then too

now he's the golden boy that's slipped in to nostalgic memories that we all miss and remember fondly.......

talk about hypocrites!

Hmm. With a salary of 45KB/month, whoever takes the job only needs to certify one photocopy of a document per working day to pay his own wages.

It must take all of one minute to do that, for a fee of 2500B. Presumably the other 7 hours 59 minutes of each working day can then be spent drinking Pimms.

Pretty stunning really.

some of you posting here will not give a shit if Howard is related to Saddam Hussein or the Kray's if you really needed him

when you are crouched in a corner in fear of your life in a 10x8 with 20 stinking drug dealers and murderers, i expect the fact that he owns a newspaper, was a Tourist volunteer or any other damned critisicm you want to make will not matter to you one jot.

Howard Miller does a good job in my view, he had big shoes to climb into and what he does not need is endless criticism from armchair internet warriors with nothing better to do than slag off people that are doing difficult jobs that they are not even near capable of doing themselves

its notable that when Barry had the job he was subjected to many criticisms by members of this forum too

now he's the golden boy that's slipped in to nostalgic memories that we all miss and remember fondly.......

talk about hypocrites!

bit like this you mean, took a volunteer to get this guy sorted not HM. eitherway british goverment can and will not do anything. people have a right to an opinion this opinion was based on what they saw. should not have a somebody in that position with a media business, bit like Berlusconi. Eotherway for the salary anybody upto the job would not do it for this salary. by the way did way bigger jobs than this in UK so would be more than capable but for the hassle and the hours not a chance.

post-140396-0-16957300-1316395494_thumb.

Edited by marstons

Hmm. With a salary of 45KB/month, whoever takes the job only needs to certify one photocopy of a document per working day to pay his own wages.

It must take all of one minute to do that, for a fee of 2500B. Presumably the other 7 hours 59 minutes of each working day can then be spent drinking Pimms.

Pretty stunning really.

you presume far too much

i think that you may not want that Pimms when you are summoned in the middle of the night to view the splattered remains of a British citizen in the morgue that took the Pattaya Airways leap from a high tower

maybe you should find out what the job actually entails before you make comment about it

fees are set by UK Home Office, not in Pattaya

frankly if i had to deal with some of the dregs of humanity i see presenting themselves at Immigration, i would do them a favour and refuse to issue paperwork supporting a visa application no matter what the British Governments earnings from it are...........

talk about hypocrites!

bit like this you mean, took a volunteer to get this guy sorted not HM. eitherway british goverment can and will not do anything. people have a right to an opinion this opinion was based on what they saw. should not have a somebody in that position with a media business, bit like Berlusconi. Eotherway for the salary anybody upto the job would not do it for this salary. by the way did way bigger jobs than this in UK so would be more than capable but for the hassle and the hours not a chance.

from Samui huh?

so you have some personal experiences of Howard Miller doing his job here in Pattaya?

or do you just read and absorb everything you read on here or in the local rags?

maybe you are a friend of DC and he is looking to move to a more lucrative position?

i am not a friend of Howard Miller but i would rather have him taking care of the Brits here with his many years of experience on the street than some unknown plucked from obscurity from the ranks of the local oxford tie brigade, lions, rotary, chamber of commerce or whatever

when dealing with corrupt officials and police here, i would much rather have someone with some street smarts than some suit with a briefcase full of diplomas.......

you presume far too much

i think that you may not want that Pimms when you are summoned in the middle of the night to view the splattered remains of a British citizen in the morgue that took the Pattaya Airways leap from a high tower

maybe you should find out what the job actually entails before you make comment about it

fees are set by UK

The fees and job description are a matter of fact. Both are available on the FCO website, as you suggest.

I was just drawing a comparison between the fees and the wages.

And I doubt that the vice-consul gets called out that often to view splattered remains (which isn't mentioned in the job description anyway). I'm sure he still has plenty of time for Pimms, or even tea and crumpets.

you presume far too much

fees are set by UK

The fees and job description are a matter of fact. Both are available on the FCO website, as you suggest.

I was just drawing a comparison between the fees and the wages.

And I doubt that the vice-consul gets called out that often to view splattered remains (which isn't mentioned in the job description anyway). I'm sure he still has plenty of time for Pimms, or even tea and crumpets.

i know for sure Barry used to get called to the morgue regularly

no reason to think anythings changed........

snipe all you want with regards to Howard owning the news outlet and how he must use his position as HC to his benefit....

for those in the know Barry was also involved in a news publication which was a well known fact.

FNG's spring to mind eh!!!

snipe all you want with regards to Howard owning the news outlet and how he must use his position as HC to his benefit....

for those in the know Barry was also involved in a news publication which was a well known fact.

yes that is correct

he was the editor for many years before the last but one new owner took over

now its under new ownership again, he writes interesting articles for it

so much for a conflict of interest huh?

Edited by timekeeper

yes that is correct

my point exactly :whistling:

yes that is correct

my point exactly :whistling:

and it was a very good point to make Norrona

thanks for reminding me about it......