Insurgents Kill Five Rangers, Injure 1 After Bomb In Thai South

webfact

SOUTH

Insurgents kill five rangers, injure 1

By The Nation

30165412-01.jpg

Building in Narathiwat police station bombed, set ablaze

Five paramilitary rangers were killed and one seriously injured when a roadside bomb exploded in Pattani's Kapho district yesterฌday morning.

The men from the 44th Ranger Forces team were hit at around 11am by a 15kilogram bomb at tambon Karobe, while they were returning to the Joh Kapho base after going for a physical checkup at a local hospital.

SgtMajor 1st Class Cherdsak Thammamai, ranger volunteers Somsak Pajongram, Prakaisak Boonchom, Theerasan Jitjan and Maroseh Sadisarimmasae were killed immediately, while ranger volunteer Anan Rattana was seriously injured and is being treated at Pattani Hospital.

The insurgents set off the bomb using a battery linked to a detonator 70 metres away. The rangers' pickup truck was overturned by the impact of the blast, and as the rangers tried to crawl out they were shot and killed by at least five insurgents, who fled with the victims' weapons.

After the attack, LtColonel Niti Tinsulanonda, commander of the 44th Ranger Forces Regiment, brought troops to the site and surฌrounded the area looking for the culฌprits. Kapho district chief Charan Jantarapan also called on residents to provide information of suspicious perฌsons in the area, especially the KaphoRaman border area, which he believes is where the insurgents and their symฌpathisers lay low before launching an attack.

In Narathiwat's Bacho district, police yesterday inspected the almost completed structure at the Palukasamoh Police Station complex, which was reportedly bombed and then set ablaze by insurgents at 9pm on Wednesday. The investigation team discovered evidence of bombs having been planted near the entrance of what would have been detention rooms. Construction experts will be tasked with inspecting the structure to see if it can be repaired. The conฌstruction of the building was 80percent complete and was slated to be officially opened on October 1.

Police suspected that a group of four or five insurgents took advantage of the fact that the construction site was empty to plant a 20kg bomb. They had also left behind some clothes to set the structure ablaze but the fire died down before consuming the entire building.

Narathiwat Governor Thanon Vechakornkanont said he believed that insurgent sympathisers were behind the attack and meant to threatฌen the locals, challenge state power and curb the improving relations between the residents and the authorฌities.

In related news, academics yesterฌday voiced concern about the governฌment's plan to replace Panu Uthairat, secretarygeneral of the Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre (SBPAC), with Pol Colonel Thavee Sodsong, deputy permanent secretary of justice. They fear that this could affect attempts to ease the unrest in the South.

Yala Rajabhat University rector Assoc Prof Kraisorn Sritrairat said a suitable candidate will be someone who can spend a lot of time in the area, understands the local way of life, is determined to resolve problems and is accepted by the religious leaders and operative officials. He said the locals trusted Panu and his predecesฌsor Phranai Suwannarat, so if a new person had to be brought in the choice should be made carefully.

Yala Rajabhat University lecturer Abdullohsa WanAli urged the govฌernment to explain why this transfer had to take place and what the curฌrent SBPAC had done to deserve such action.

He said that people in Yala had seen evidence that Panu's work was good possibly because he had grown up in the South. He expressed concern about Thavee's approach and if he had enough knowledge about the culture and beliefs to gain trust and the "hearts and minds" of the locals.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-16

It's strange that stories like this get such little attention from the TVF faithful.

Two 'students' get pushed around by redshirts and there's outrage at such violence.

5 soldiers get killed and not a peep.

I guess it's not really the level of violence in these stories that bothers people. Must be something else.

It's strange that stories like this get such little attention from the TVF faithful.

Two 'students' get pushed around by redshirts and there's outrage at such violence.

I guess it's not really the level of violence in these stories that bothers people. Must be something else.

That's true of all posters.

People uninjured by yellow shirts nearly 4 years ago is still the subject of multiple posts.

Must be something else.

People uninjured by yellow shirts nearly 4 years ago is still the subject of multiple posts.

Must be something else.

So really it's not the degree of violence that prompts radical posters to vent their spleen at all. It's the people who carry it out.

No prejudice against violent groups in the south, no comment.

Edited by hanuman1

Unfortuneately the Muslim War of Conversion and Domination is characterised by regular minor clashes and slow-moving invasion to the extent that most people simply ignore it and hope it will go away. The only known vaccine for religious mania is quality education without the intrusion of religion, which of course is something the major religions will fight tooth and nail to prevent. Also unlikely to occur under the current Thai government for similar reasons.

Richard Dawkins has some interesting things to say on the matter. I particularly like his concept that the teaching of religion to the young is a form of child abuse.

Nelson DeMille wrote a novel (Wild Fire??) where the bad guys planned to trick the USA into nuking every major muslim city, quite thought provoking and amusing if you like bear jokes.

I don't think there's much new to say about a story like this. So why post ?

I doubt many of "the TVF faithful" would defend the violence, I doubt the Thai state (under any government) will consider any radical solution like limited-devolution or independence for the areas concerned, I don't think any of the neighbouring Moslem states want to get involved, its just going to drift on like this.

Just a very sad situation which is slowly getting worse.

Not many comment because there isn't a cadre of posters defending these terrorists like there is for others

Yes, it's horrible that these radicals are waging war in the south. No on really has any solution to it either.

Wounded troops shot dead after bomb in Thai south

NARATHIWAT, September 16, 2011 (AFP) - Five soldiers were killed after suspected insurgents opened fire on those injured in a roadside bombing in Thailand's restive deep south on Thursday, police said.

The blast targeted an army truck carrying six troops in Pattani province, one of three provinces in the Muslim-majority deep south where a seven-year rebellion has claimed thousands of lives.

Police said all five of the dead had suffered injuries in the explosion, but had also been shot in the head after apparently being dragged from the wreckage. One soldier remains in a critical condition.

Around 4,800 people have been killed in near-daily attacks since shadowy rebels launched an uprising in early 2004, according to the latest figures from Deep South Watch, an independent research group that monitors the conflict.

The organisation has said it has seen a higher frequency of attacks with a greater intensity of violence in recent months, with authorities and both Buddhist and Muslim civilians targeted.

Also on Thursday, police in the neighbouring province of Narathiwat said suspected militants had bombed and set fire to an empty, brand-new police station, just two weeks before it was due to open. No one was believed to have been hurt in the attack.

Explosives planted in a cooking-gas tank were detonated on the ground floor and a fire was lit, damaging walls and stairs, but police said they had not yet moved any furniture into the station, which was due to open on October 1.

"An attack on an unmanned station has never happened before," said police colonel Apirak Sangkhao.

Police will now have to check whether the structure is safe before they move into the building.

The Thai government on Tuesday extended emergency rule in the region, which borders Malaysia.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-09-16

Okay, so the reasons that have been offered so far on why political violence in Thailand merits more outrage from biased posters than violence in the south are:

1) Some posters defend political violence in Thailand, and not in the south.

2) The situation with Thai politics seems to be more fluid that the situation in the south.

In reply to these, I'd suggest:

1) Hardly any posters condone the political violence on either side (at least that committed by people other than law enforcement agencies)

2) The perceived fluidity of situations to which our attention is brought is a function of the media through which we receive information about it. If all the decisions, comments and events that regularly occur in connection with the Southern situation were reported on as eagerly as the Thai political situation, we'd probably find that events in the south are unfolding at a faster pace than we might imagine.

It seems that posters like to pick and choose which violence they highlight as unacceptable and which they feel is not worth commenting on. The main factor governing this pattern seems to be their political bias, not the level of violence involved.

Must be something else.

So really it's not the degree of violence that prompts radical posters to vent their spleen at all. It's the people who carry it out.

I try not to attribute such descriptions to any other forum member, eg. "radical" or "vent their spleen".

As for the reason there's sparse posting on every Deep South thread by all posters, I would think it has more to do with the longevity and frequency of these attacks coupled with a dearth of posters living in that area and topped off with a less detailed knowledge base on the subject.

Edited by Buchholz

Whatever side you take, the fact remains that the Thai Army is completely pwned by the rebels.

Hardly a day goes by without a teacher being shot in front of his students, or a Buddhist monk being killed, and attacks like this on the Army are regular occurrences as well.

These are seriously not nice people, and the Thai Army seems helpless.

Because it's not Thaskin's fault.

Because it's not Thaskin's fault.

Because it's not Sondhi's fault.

Okay, so the reasons that have been offered so far on why political violence in Thailand merits more outrage from biased posters than violence in the south are:

1) Some posters defend political violence in Thailand, and not in the south.

2) The situation with Thai politics seems to be more fluid that the situation in the south.

In reply to these, I'd suggest:

1) Hardly any posters condone the political violence on either side (at least that committed by people other than law enforcement agencies)

2) The perceived fluidity of situations to which our attention is brought is a function of the media through which we receive information about it. If all the decisions, comments and events that regularly occur in connection with the Southern situation were reported on as eagerly as the Thai political situation, we'd probably find that events in the south are unfolding at a faster pace than we might imagine.

It seems that posters like to pick and choose which violence they highlight as unacceptable and which they feel is not worth commenting on. The main factor governing this pattern seems to be their political bias, not the level of violence involved.

There is another factor that you may wish to consider. While the Muslims in the south try to disrupt life there they do not pretend to be anything other than anarchists seeking change.

When the red shirts attacked to actually peaceful protesters (but they were being provocative!) albeit with lower level of violence, they claimed to be doing so because of their love of democracy. A claim like this from a party militia controlling access to parliament attacking both protesters and opposition figures shows a level of ignorance or hypocrisy that will surely attract comment.

People do not respond, because they think that is just a Muslim insurgency - it is infact more than that. Police and soldiers get attacked because they are disripting drug trafficking through thailanf and malaysia. This activity is alleged to be supported by elements of the malaysian government, though I have never seen evidence of this I travelled to Malaysia fir many years and know how they treat their non mulslim population in comparison to their native muslim population. To Malaysia, yala, pattani and narathiwat were siezed and given to Thailand but should never have been, so it is their desire to see disruption there.

Buddist villages get attacked by muslim terrorists, because they are kaffir.. that is, to be not muslim. Monks are killed for the same reason.motorbike bombs in the main streets, my girlfriends own family shot as theyngathered fruit to take to the market on their days off from teaching... you cannot travek with your cell phone on, because the signals along the road will trigger IED bombs which activate when they detect a cell phone signal.. can you imagine?

I nearly had my throat cut in kuala kubu bahru in makaysia, fir being white.. it was assumed I was a Christian American... I am a Kiwi athiest!

So it is, that you have elements of a neighboring state supporting both terrorism and the drug trafficking and protection trade which fund it wxisting under the same roof. I know, i spent a lot of time as a Farang in Yala and northern Malaysia.

One factor, but by no means the only factor, that these killings continue is in revenge for the not-long-ago Tak Bai and Krue Say incidents. Both happened while Thaksin was PM, and he and his top brass have never taken any responsibility for those deaths. I don't say those deaths justify the current killings, but they arguably are a factor.

There is no silver bullet which will solve the serious problems being suffered now, but two gestures will help allay them:

>>>> dialogue. Bkk heavies should listen to and act fairly toward the troubled people in that region. Currently, everything in Thailand revolves around Bkk and what its power brokers want. That's got to change.

>>> Stern reprimands for all those who bear responsibility for the Tak Bai deaths, where nearly 100 young Muslim men died unnecessarily. Cause of death: suffocation while under arrest, due to atrocious transportation plans by Thai top brass and their top boss, Mr. Thaksin. Also culpable: one or more Thai army men who bounced up and down upon the prisoners who were packed horizontally like logs in the back of idling (smog belching) trucks for hours. Yes, there were eyewitness reports of at least one soldier doing that, in response to a plea from captive saying, "please, my brother is down there, he is suffocating!"

incidentally, after the earlier deaths (caused by stupid Thai army members), Thaksin was angry (at the bad press, not at the deaths). He pointed to his cell phone and made it crystal clear to all his top brass that he was no further than a phone call away, if any tough decisions needed to be made in the future. Well, Tak Bai happened months later, and it was ugly, and Thaksin should be hauled to the World Court in The Hague for War Crimes which he had a direct hand in implementing. I jest not.

I doubt stupidity and callousness can be used as excuses for killing detainees - at least not in a court of law.

Edited by maidu

I try not to attribute such descriptions to any other forum member, eg. "radical" or "vent their spleen".

As for the reason there's sparse posting on every Deep South thread by all posters, I would think it has more to do with the longevity and frequency of these attacks coupled with a dearth of posters living in that area and topped off with a less detailed knowledge base on the subject.

To The Ghost Within...

As you are obviously one of very very few posters that are "living in that area"... please expand if you will on your comments. Your on-the-ground descriptions and assessments are invaluable for the entire board. Your comments are appreciated AND encouraged.

Thank you.

People do not respond, because they think that is just a Muslim insurgency - it is in fact more than that. Police and soldiers get attacked because they are disrupting drug trafficking through Thailand and Malaysia. This activity is alleged to be supported by elements of the Malaysian government, though I have never seen evidence of this I traveled to Malaysia for many years and know how they treat their non Muslim population in comparison to their native Muslim population. To Malaysia, yala, pattani and narathiwat were seized and given to Thailand but should never have been, so it is their desire to see disruption there.

Buddhist villages get attacked by Muslim terrorists, because they are kaffir.. that is, to be not Muslim. Monks are killed for the same reason.motorbike bombs in the main streets, my girlfriends own family shot as they gathered fruit to take to the market on their days off from teaching... you cannot travel with your cell phone on, because the signals along the road will trigger IED bombs which activate when they detect a cell phone signal.. can you imagine?

I nearly had my throat cut in Kuala kubu bahru in Malaysia, for being white.. it was assumed I was a Christian American... I am a Kiwi atheist!

So it is, that you have elements of a neighboring state supporting both terrorism and the drug trafficking and protection trade which fund it existing under the same roof. I know, i spent a lot of time as a Farang in Yala and northern Malaysia.

Perhaps the majority aren't romantic towards militarism references.....

Must be something else.

Maybe if Thaksin hadnt carried out massacres in the south there wouldnt be terrorism there now.

People do not respond, because they think that is just a Muslim insurgency - it is infact more than that. Police and soldiers get attacked because they are disripting drug trafficking through thailanf and malaysia. This activity is alleged to be supported by elements of the malaysian government, though I have never seen evidence of this I travelled to Malaysia fir many years and know how they treat their non mulslim population in comparison to their native muslim population. To Malaysia, yala, pattani and narathiwat were siezed and given to Thailand but should never have been, so it is their desire to see disruption there.

Buddist villages get attacked by muslim terrorists, because they are kaffir.. that is, to be not muslim. Monks are killed for the same reason.motorbike bombs in the main streets, my girlfriends own family shot as theyngathered fruit to take to the market on their days off from teaching... you cannot travek with your cell phone on, because the signals along the road will trigger IED bombs which activate when they detect a cell phone signal.. can you imagine?

I nearly had my throat cut in kuala kubu bahru in makaysia, fir being white.. it was assumed I was a Christian American... I am a Kiwi athiest!

So it is, that you have elements of a neighboring state supporting both terrorism and the drug trafficking and protection trade which fund it wxisting under the same roof. I know, i spent a lot of time as a Farang in Yala and northern Malaysia.

Interesting and true - "To Malaysia, yala, pattani and narathiwat were siezed and given to Thailand", whereas history, as written by the Thai, English and French have the entire isthmus as part of Siam. There are records that mention Siamese Garrisons being evacuated when Britain took over Penang and Singapore. This is like the disgreements over Angkor Wat (Nakon Wat). The Khmer empire slowly crumbled for 2 centuries, leaving Ayuttaya in control of everything West of Siam Riap for over 50 years. Then the French took control and as late as 1953 finally transferred their last vestiges of control of their 'Siamese Protectorate' to Cambodia.

My point - 'Western Intervention' brought this trouble and now Thailand has to deal with it...

My point - 'Western Intervention' brought this trouble and now Thailand has to deal with it...

I think that's too simplistic. People have inhabited that region long before Europeans came around, and over half a century has transpired since western plantation bosses left. Southeast Asians have to take responsibility for what goes on in their backyards. Former Malaysian PM Mahathir often blamed westerners on his country's woes, yet he sent his own kids to western schools in Europe and America. The serious problems in southern Thailand are primarily Thailand's challenges. The Muslims there are Thai nationals, whether they like it or not. If the radical fringe don't like it, they can emigrate to some other place or they can arrange ways to discuss problems, rather than kill street sweepers, letter carriers, teachers, pu yai ban, and others who represent (to them) Bangkok's suppressive control.

Interesting and true - "To Malaysia, yala, pattani and narathiwat were siezed and given to Thailand", whereas history, as written by the Thai, English and French have the entire isthmus as part of Siam. There are records that mention Siamese Garrisons being evacuated when Britain took over Penang and Singapore. This is like the disgreements over Angkor Wat (Nakon Wat). The Khmer empire slowly crumbled for 2 centuries, leaving Ayuttaya in control of everything West of Siam Riap for over 50 years. Then the French took control and as late as 1953 finally transferred their last vestiges of control of their 'Siamese Protectorate' to Cambodia.

Did the martians play their part too - you should remember when western powers took over the areas you state they had been ASKED at taxpayers expense to help defend against Japan BY South East Asian Governments!!! Dont forget what happened here from 1939 to 45!! Thailand was NEVER colonised and Malaya as it was known along with Singapore REQUESTED membership of the British Empire.

A serious question - And we need to take this question back to the days when the Democrats were in power, why were/are the people in the south fighting against the Thai Government called "Insurgents" but the UDD were labelled by that same government as "Terrorists?"