Tool To Reveal What Makes Young Thai Lawbreakers Tick

webfact

Tool to reveal what makes young lawbreakers tick

By Wannapa Khaopa

The Nation

Si Sa Ket/Ubon Ratchathani

30165411-01.jpg

Juvenilecrime authorities say they often fail to rehabilitate young offenders or help them turn from crime because they do not know enough about what motivates them to break laws or commit crimes in the first place.

The Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection (DJOP) has faced such a problem for years, but now it's trying hard to make changes, shaping better motivation processes and rehabilitation programmes.

With help from US juvenilebehaviour evaluation experts and lecturers from Thai universities, DJOP has created a tool that aims to seek what motivates a juvenile to violate laws and classifies them into different groups from low to high risk.

The tool has been used by case managers at DJOP centres in all 77 provinces across the country since May 22. Case managers are DJOP officers who mentor juvenile delinquents.

To get to the root of each youngster's undesirable behaviour, questions for them focus on eight things related to their lives - family, community and circumstances, educational background and occupation, friends and people surrounding them, druguse or druginvolvement record, offence record, physical and mental conditions, and delinquent behaviour. Frequency of repeat offences is counted in different scores, which are considered in different risk groups, said Tawatchai Thaikyo, director general of DJOP.

Apart from interviewing delinquents, their parents or guardians and people in communities are interviewed as well to check whether their information is true or genuine.

"Previously, our officers evaluated offenders' behaviour and risks based on each officer's personal experience. Since each has a different background and experience, they reached different conclusions, which were not of the same standard," Tawatchai said.

"We've compared the new evaluation tool with two foreign evaluation tools we used previously. Its accuracy and quickness are the same as the foreign tools. It also shows the risk of recidivism, so we will find out how to prevent them from committing crimes again."

He said DJOP was designing some rehabilitation programmes to cope with delinquents displaying different motivations or problems.

Tawatchai and the project's assessment committee last week visited two juvenile observation and protection centres and a juvenile training centre in Si Sa Ket and Ubon Ratchathani provinces.

These provinces and Bangkok are pilot areas where the department has conducted research to see how effective the project is.

Rachanapat Somanawat, a probation officer who is also a case manager, said the new tool helped her consider each juvenile's case more thoroughly.

"With a scoregiving system based on frequency of activity, I've concluded each case scientifically and reasonably. I've used not only my experience to judge them. So it's easier for me to explain to some people or parents who have argued the conclusions," she said.

However, Kasemsun Ampunt, director of Ubon Ratchathani Juvenile Observation and Protection Centre, said he was concerned whether the tool could dig effectively into real causes behind undesirable behaviour.

"We will have to test whether it can find the real causes and adjust the tool until it can be used effectively," he said.

For some delinquents in the lowrisk group or those with punishment of less than five years in juvenile training centres, their cases won't be taken to court - if the victims agree to settle after a discussion with offenders' parents, police and representatives from their communities. But for those in medium and highrisk groups, courts will judge their cases.

About 35 per cent of juvenile offenders are considered to be in a lowrisk group, Tawatchai said.

He said case managers nationwide would be trained to understand the new tool so they could use it properly.

DJOP has collaborated with the courts and the Department of Probation, while the Thai Health Promotion Foundation has given financial support of Bt40 million to run the threeyear project from 2010 to 2012.

The project will be presented to the first AsiaPacific Council on Juvenile Justice next year.

Last year recorded 44,000 juvenile offenders - 33 per cent involved in drugs, 22 per cent in property crimes, 12 per cent in life and body offences, and 4 per cent in sexual crimes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-16

Isn't this psychology?

I love the fact we "measured it against the effectiveness of foreign tools and it came out the same". So now we have nationalim in psychology. Of course from the other perspective, doesn't that mean that Thainess is perfectly understandable from a foreign perspective, so all of these stupid statements that Thailand is so unique look a bit stupid.

Isn't this psychology?

I love the fact we "measured it against the effectiveness of foreign tools and it came out the same". So now we have nationalim in psychology. Of course from the other perspective, doesn't that mean that Thainess is perfectly understandable from a foreign perspective, so all of these stupid statements that Thailand is so unique look a bit stupid.

They do come up with some good ones. Don't they? Ones like 4 years ago. The Thai teachers were told to go to each one of their students house, interview everyone living in the house, and take pictures of the inside and outside of the house in an effort to try and come up with a reasons why there were so many kids that had behaviour problems and skipping school. AND the teachers had to do it in the afternoons and on weekends, on their own time, without any extra pay. The always funny Thai education system. Truly a joke.

I'll tell you what makes them tick without having to do any fanciful research.

A total lack of discipline, starting in the family home.

I agree mate, But I think there are 2 styles-over discipline and under discipline. The over is the parents who -example, local parent who will hit the daughter with a bamboo running after her for ages and not stopping. the second is called -free style, this is the under discipline one when the kid is totally unchecked to do what it likes, scream shout stamp etc.,---Only the inbetween family style is the norm and that seems few and far between. The way to bring up the kids here is absent -most parents want schooling on how to do the task.

There are several major causes for juvenile delinquency, one is indeed a lack of guidence/dicipline from parents, another one is boredom and group pressure also plays a very important role. Not to mention the fact that some people have a need for adventure and do things just for the kick. Some find it in being a figther pilote, others in being a criminal.

But society also makes criminals. The US prison system has never been so full since the war on drugs in the US. The fear is that Thailand will do the same. There are different categories of drug users. The biggest group are the ones, especially youngsters, who just experiment with them. Give them some time and they will stay away from drugs or only use it once in a while. Than there is a group that is really at risk and need some guidence to prevent them from becomming addicts and there is the group of addicts.

That the Thai justice system is trying to make a difference bewteen groups of juveniles is very possitive. Let's hope they will do the same regarding drug offenders.

might have something to do with the flagrant flaunting of the inequalities of the Thai society. Probably seems to most that having what the "haves" have is out of reach any other way other than crime for the "have nots". There is a lot to be said for equality, their is no democracy without it.

might have something to do with the flagrant flaunting of the inequalities of the Thai society. Probably seems to most that having what the "haves" have is out of reach any other way other than crime for the "have nots". There is a lot to be said for equality, their is no democracy without it.

On the other hand it may be influenced by the blatant disregard for the law by every driver, motorbike rider, policeman, government officials in general and not forgetting of course Thailands illustrious leaders of ALL political persuasions.

The young learn by example so what do people expect, why don't the Thais own up to the endemic situation of f--- you jack, I'm alright and just admit the educated hi-so do not want to share the spoils from the trough.

Something to do with how the kids are treated.

Imagine being a young girl from a rural area sent out to 'sell oneself' in order to send money home to parents who are often too lazy to work. But never mind how you feel - you will earn 'merit'!!! That would make anyone consider a life of crime --- family enforced slavery.

Send more money the cow is sick -:ph34r:

There are several major causes for juvenile delinquency, one is indeed a lack of guidence/dicipline from parents, another one is boredom and group pressure also plays a very important role. Not to mention the fact that some people have a need for adventure and do things just for the kick. Some find it in being a figther pilote, others in being a criminal.

But society also makes criminals. The US prison system has never been so full since the war on drugs in the US. The fear is that Thailand will do the same. There are different categories of drug users. The biggest group are the ones, especially youngsters, who just experiment with them. Give them some time and they will stay away from drugs or only use it once in a while. Than there is a group that is really at risk and need some guidence to prevent them from becomming addicts and there is the group of addicts.

That the Thai justice system is trying to make a difference bewteen groups of juveniles is very possitive. Let's hope they will do the same regarding drug offenders.

+1 ... well spoken

+1 ... well spoken

I too like this post, and also came here for the iPhone app. I am interested in why Asian youth do not participate in flash mobbing as do British and American youth, and I wrote an article about that here.

Cheers!

SBP

Oki, let's run with that for a second.

Lack of guidance/discipline is a given.

Boredom, were you ever bored as a kid, I wasn't (at least not for any extended periods) if I had nothing to do and showed any sign of it, my Mother would quite happily find something for me to do, sometimes enjoyable, sometimes not, but it never involved telling me to go and watch TV.

Peer pressure, yep, had that, it drove me to the point of getting a paper round and cutting other peoples lawns so that I could buy a bicycle that was as good if not better than all my friends. Kids today are pressured by other kids who are also a product of inept parenting.

The problem starts in the home, everything else outside it (ineffective education for example) just works in addition.

I will accept that some are born fighter pilots/criminals, but I would expect that number to be very small.

I'll tell you what makes them tick without having to do any fanciful research.

A total lack of discipline, starting in the family home.

Man, you totally hit the nail square on the head. I common knowledge that Thai kids more or less raise them selves as the parents go somewhere else to work and leave the kids to fend for them selves at a relatives house. It happened in my wife's family several times. Parents aren't parents in the Thai society. Women spit out the kids and leave the responsibilities of being a parent to someone else.

Edited by ralphlsasser

With help from US juvenile behaviour evaluation experts and lecturers from Thai universities, DJOP has created a tool that aims to seek what motivates a juvenile to violate laws and classifies them into different groups from low to high risk.

I'm not going to say anything negative about USA law enforcement, but prevention seems not to work. Even in Europe such a scientific approach doesn't seem to offer much practical help in crime prevention. The chance that this approach will help in Thailand, given its 'unique' status and knowing things better than farang, seems slim :ermm: