Well Done The Boys In Green

thequietman

well done to the Irish rugby team. great game, good score line and they missed 4 penalty opportunities. amazing.

this is goona change the whole competition around for the better.

well done again.

lets have a beer to celebrate. post here if you are as happy as me about this result. party time.:D :D :D :D

like many I didn't hold out much hope for an Ireland win; so often have seen Oz sneak in at the end and win games they possibly didn't deserve to, but today they were well beaten by a better team; all the Oz 'stars' - where were they?

Biggest disappointment though was that Ireland missed that 90m runaway try at the end, was standing shouting and cheering him on.

No bonus point for Oz either.

As I understand it, and as long as SA beat Samoa, means Oz play SA in the quarterfinal? Unsure how that works out,and France might 'throw' the match v NZ to get an easier route to the semis by playing Argentina not England (if France lose to NZ next week)

Ireland 15 - Australia 6

The curse of Eden Park for Oz, last won there in 1986, that's 13 losses since then (12 of them to NZ).

5643626.jpg

World Cup magic for Ireland

Ireland have turned the Rugby World Cup upside down with a sensational 15-6 win over Australia.

Edited by Atmos

Like all Paddies thrilled with result after a fantastic performance. Have to admit I was apprehensive about this game as most others.

I admired the gracious manner in which the Australians accepted defeat. No need to gloat over victory by referering to it as an ass kicking.

^ gracious? This from Greg Growden, Australia's Rugby Heaven, syndicated across Oz and NZ newspapers (all Fairfax-owned).

Rather patronising re the 'also-rans' comment i thought.

AUCKLAND: It doesn't get any more embarrassing than this for Australian rugby. The Wallabies were yet again shown to be second-rate by one of the also-rans of world rugby.

and, before today's England v Georgia match:

Insight of the day: There are only 722 senior male players qualified to play for Georgia.

^ gracious? This from Greg Growden, Australia's Rugby Heaven, syndicated across Oz and NZ newspapers (all Fairfax-owned).

AUCKLAND: It doesn't get any more embarrassing than this for Australian rugby. The Wallabies were yet again shown to be second-rate by one of the also-rans of world rugby.

Insight of the day: There are only 722 senior male players qualified to play for Georgia.

Due to this slanderous comment by Greg Growden, I now wish to re-affirm that this was indeed,........ a well deserved ASS KICKING dished out by the Irish.

See you all at the final. thanks for your comments.

Be careful out there. :jap:

Due to this slanderous comment by Greg Growden, I now wish to re-affirm that this was indeed,........ a well deserved ASS KICKING dished out by the Irish.

See you all at the final. thanks for your comments.

Be careful out there. :jap:

...please; leave the donkey alone, eh, boys?

SC

Edit: gratuitous rudeness deleted.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Deflated Australia coach Robbie Deans said: "Ireland were very effective. They defended really well and did not allow us to recycle the ball. It was effective.

"We would have liked more field position. Our decision-making was not always great."

"Ireland were very effective in denying us momentum. The nature of the game at World Cups is the passion of the defense and you can't be sure of getting any momentum."

Wallabies captain James Horwill added: "The Irish did well to spoil our ball. We couldn't get any momentum."

BLOODY AUSSIES CANNOT TAKE THEIR BEATING. :blink:

Deflated Australia coach Robbie Deans said: "Ireland were very effective. They defended really well and did not allow us to recycle the ball. It was effective.

"We would have liked more field position. Our decision-making was not always great."

"Ireland were very effective in denying us momentum. The nature of the game at World Cups is the passion of the defense and you can't be sure of getting any momentum."

Wallabies captain James Horwill added: "The Irish did well to spoil our ball. We couldn't get any momentum."

I could be missing the sarcasm, but are you saying that the game was a dazzling try-fest of dynamic and exciting attacking Irish rugby?

I think "Ireland were very effective. They defended really well... The Irish did well"

Let's face it. Ireland won the game because Australia scored less than 15 points. Thanks to the Ireland defence. Thanks to the Irish stopping them scoring points.

I think that's what the Australians said, isn't it? If you beat them again in the final, then maybe it will be time to crow.

SC

Some upset here in a week of jubilation for the Irish...just enjoy the moment and look forward to the next round.

Meanwhile we still need to raise our Claymores at least once more in order to have a chance of winning.....this has been a fine tournament so far imo.

I could be missing the sarcasm, but are you saying that the game was a dazzling try-fest of dynamic and exciting attacking Irish rugby?

I think "Ireland were very effective. They defended really well... The Irish did well"

Let's face it. Ireland won the game because Australia scored less than 15 points. Thanks to the Ireland defence. Thanks to the Irish stopping them scoring points.

I think that's what the Australians said, isn't it? If you beat them again in the final, then maybe it will be time to crow.

SC

My point exactly.

SC

My point exactly.

SC

SC

Hardly a highlite game but good on the Irish for making the aussies play 'their' game.

There were so sour grapes about the defeat, a few of the usual sports writers had a sook but overall in the media it was about how bad the Wallabies played, or allowed Ireland to dictate the style of game.

Good on Ireland for doing it their way, that's what the RWC is all about. Of course this means that the Wallabies now play SA in the quarters and NZ in the semi.

Just means that NZ will bow out a game before they thought they would, if they do the usual choke.

and a lot of SA or OZ fans will be selling tickets to semis and final on basis their team has already gone home after losing the qf.

People who booked package tours from those countries just for semi and final will be worried - this is the same example as what happened to NZ supporters 4 years ago.

What will happen NZ v France - now according to media there is advantages in losing this game for an easier route to the final; this was in the news when the original draw was announced, that the runner up in that pool was perhaps better than winner; maybe both sides could try to lose?

and a lot of SA or OZ fans will be selling tickets to semis and final on basis their team has already gone home after losing the qf.

People who booked package tours from those countries just for semi and final will be worried - this is the same example as what happened to NZ supporters 4 years ago.

What will happen NZ v France - now according to media there is advantages in losing this game for an easier route to the final; this was in the news when the original draw was announced, that the runner up in that pool was perhaps better than winner; maybe both sides could try to lose?

I suppose the Kiwis that went to France for the semis and final were lucky to see some teams they wouldn't normally see. Let's face it, they see the All Blacks often enough at home anyway.

SC